[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The war on meat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: meat-feature-v1.jpg (537KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
meat-feature-v1.jpg
537KB, 1500x844px
Is meat, and red meat in particular really so harmful? I keep reading articles about how red meat is harmful, how you should eat as little of it as possible if not cutting it out completely. It's literally been depicted as pure poison by the media in the past few years, but is it really the case?
Of course I can't ignore scientific studies which show how too much red meat can be harmful, or how you shouldn't eat processed meat on a regular basis, but no one ever talks about its benefits: it's an excellent source of proteins and minerals such as iron and zinc. Good luck getting enough zinc without red meat or supppements (yes, I know about oysters but they're quite expensive where I live).
Lastly, I'm by no means an expert, but hasn't meat been a staple food in human diets since the dawn of time? In other words, didn't we evolve to also eat meat, like other omnivores did? It seems strange to me that we should avoid food that's part of our "natural" diet.
>>
I think the main problem is we eat too much of it. We should eat other things as well, chicken, fish, etc. Too much of anything can be bad.
>>
I tend to think it's not the meat alone that's bad, it's because your average person has that piece of meat deep fried and dripping in fats and god knows what else. I'm sure the scientists took that into account when classifying it as major cancer risk so what the fuck do I know. I almost never eat red meat anyway so it doesn't bother me
>>
>>39911806

>no one ever talks about its benefits: it's an excellent source of proteins and minerals such as iron and zinc.

The meat industry sure does. They might want to stop advertising iron though since carcinogenic type of iron (heme) in red meat is one of the reasons it's so bad for you.
>>
meat is good for us , it's just that we over consume it, and thats what leads to health problems. also as a society we're consuming so much that if hurting the ozone layer and we're draining the available water source
>tldr
eat meat by all means, just eat less
>>
>>39911958

>meat is good for us , it's just that we over consume it

usually when you consume a lot of something that's good for you it improves your health
>>
>>39911806
most arguments against i meat Ive seen, actually come down to the poor living conditions, treatment, and diet of the animals. stress hormones, hormone profiles affected by unnatural corn diets, and injected hormones all give rise to low-quality, unhealthy meat. go organic and local when/if you can.
>>
>>39911974
you can overconsume anything, and it will kill you. different things just have different amounts that amount to "overconsumption"
>>
>>39912622
as in, the health effects cited are true only when speaking about factory-farmed meat. and a sedentary lifestyle isnt helping anybody
>>
Yes. Red meat gives you ass cancer. Eat chicken and fish.
>>
>>39911974
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
>>
>>39912692
polyunsaturated fat in chicken is worse for you than saturated fat in red meat
>>
>>39912799
Scientific studies show other way.
>>
>>39911806
Carbohydrates is the real problem.
Meat and specially fat meat are very good for you in moderation.
>>
>>39911806
You live in a shitty country and you're prone to falling for clickbait horseshit. I bet if i told you gullible is on your ceiling you would look.

Please stop being a moron. There is no 'war' on meat and it isnt bad for you.
>>
>>39911927
>essential component of every eukaryotic cell is carcinogenic

Wew lad
>>
eat two cups of cashews and you get 102% of your zinc for the day
You also get 45g of protein

red meat only has double the zinc per gram compared to cashews
>>
>>39912977
are you honestly this retarded? It's like saying benzene is safe because it has carbon and is a part of every cell
>>
>>39911927
Wew lad its not the heme thats carcinogenic is the heme acting as a catalyst in the intestine.

Weewwwww stop lad
>>
>>39915062
I should also mention this is the most accepted theory rn and not the mechanism is not completely proven
>>
>>39912977

It's highly reactive and when it's in your digestive tract and the absorption can't be controlled because it's too bioavailable and bypasses your gut's safety mechanisms, it can lead to colorectal cancer
>>
>>39915080
>it's too bioavaiable
Then how does it even get down to the colon if it's absorbed in the small intestine
>>
File: NuMale-feminism.jpg (55KB, 469x500px) Image search: [Google]
NuMale-feminism.jpg
55KB, 469x500px
The oligarchical class is trying to craft a managerial class of listless and low-test numale worker bees who subsist on soy products and lentils. The perfect subspecies of deceitful yet gutless little shits who will suckle on the authoritarian teat while infighting like catty high school girls, jostling for the next coveted opening in the monstrous state apparatus. The perfect intermediaries between the new nobility of technocapitalist oligarchs and the ever growing class of multiethnic debtslaves.

Look at this picture carefully. This is the future chairman of your nation's up and coming Department of Tolerance and Civility.
>>
>>39911806
>but hasn't meat been a staple food in human diets since the dawn of time?

No, and this is what people don't really get. Meat is a relatively recent addition to human diets, it was something we rarely had the opportunity to eat for tens of thousands of years before we developed the necessary tools, collaborative efforts, and technology to hunt animals consistently. Another big addition was the usage of fire to cook things, which made them easier to digest and safer to eat (Again, something humans haven't been doing for comparatively long). Yeah, humans are omnivores for the most part, but we can very easily live off of a predominantly plant-based diet with no difficulties.
>>
>>39915300
well you can live off non-GMO rice and pixie farts if you want, but animal protein is absolutely necessary for a full amino acid profile
>>
>>39915314
If that was true, vegans and vegetarians would die pretty fast.
>>
>>39915039
Only benzene isn't just carbon, it doesn't have any physiological value and its biological derivatives are unalike.
The only retard here is you making category errors and bad analogies.
>>
>>39915265
This cunt.
I think most people in this thread agree to eat less red meat and eat alternatives less chicken and fish.
Who said anything about soy/lentits/and numales?
>>
>>39915300
Apes eat meat and so did all our ancestors including eating ourselves

Your shit is all false and retarded
>>
nutrition is one of the least certain fields of knowledge

all we know for sure is:
1. don't eat poisonous things
2. don't get fat
3. don't eat like a retard
>>
>>39915300
We invented fire some 500,000 years ago and our biological ancestors started eating meat hundreds of thousands of years before that.

Please stop reading GullibleVegans.com
>>
>trying to discuss this topic on /fit/
>>
>>39915844
Thats completely false, we know exactly what and how much a person needs to survive.

Just because you dont like the facts that drinking soda is bad for you and so is that hamburger doesnt make it false.
>>
>>39915844

Expand upon this idea that nutrition is one of the "least certain" fields. Last I checked nutrition has a foundation in biochemistry and physiology. Both of these fields seem fairly empirical.
>>
The /pol/tard in me wants to say it's da joos and that they're trying to lower the test levels of young men by campaigning against meat.

The rest of me, though, says that it's probably something to do with overconsumption of a product that may have adverse effects on the body when consumed in such quantities.
>>
>>39915876
Not him, but there's a new diet every year that is supposed to be the best.

And things are labeled as healthy/ unhealthy all the time. One day coffee is good for you, then it's bad for you, and then it's good for you after all etc.
>>
>>39915918
>but there's a new diet every year that is supposed to be the best.
Yes its called click bait well done falling for it
>>
File: scooby dooby doo.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
scooby dooby doo.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>39915876
>biology
>hard science
>>
>>39915934

Hard science in the sense 1+1 = 2, yeah you're right.

I don't think you know what the term 'hard science' means. You probably think it means difficulty, in actuality, it's a measurement of empiricism and objectivity.

The idea that chemistry is not empirical is idiotic, which suits you t b h senpai.

>>39915918

This has nothing to do with the science, it has to do with the retarded interpretation of business minded individuals look to peddle diets to you.

The fact you're swayed by a flashy title for a diet is more a reflection of your own intelligence than any issue with nutrition.
>>
>>39916169
>The fact you're swayed by a flashy title for a diet is more a reflection of your own intelligence than any issue with nutrition.
>>
>>39916591

Ok.
>>
>>39915347
>If that was true, vegans and vegetarians would die pretty fast.

well no, but they do die slowly. b12 deficiencies are common.
>>
>>39916880
Yeast spreads, brah.
>>
>>39915080
>It can lead to colorectal cancer
> it can
> can

Can or Will? Why isn't it a 100% guarantee
>>
>>39917068

Cause the mutations that cause cancer are entirely random.

You could smoke 50 packs of weedheroincigs a day and not ever get cancer.

On the other hand, somebody lives a pure vegan lifestyle, runs, lifts, embodiment of health? They get cancer before 40.

Why? Because fuck you it's chance.

Maybe your body will mop the cancer cell, maybe it won't, roll the dice and find out.
>>
>>39917094
So.....eat meat because it taste better than beet juice?
>>
>>39917172

Do whatever the fuck you want, it's your life and you only get 80-90 years of it.

Just know some genes are fucked.

If you got cancer in your heritage then be aware.

Personally I got 0 cancer anywhere either side of my family, and they're all smokers/drinks, and I've literally known marathon running vegans who got cancer in their 30s (didnt die) while my family is fine.

In short, lifes a joke try to not take it so seriously.

Try be 'healthy' faggot but also try to enjoy your life once and awhile.
>>
>>39912799
This is incorrect
>>
>>39917194

this
when did everyone start taking life so goddamn seriously
the world has suddenly filled up with joyless puritans
I just wanna have a good life and die before it all goes downhill (50 or so)
>>
File: 1483505611704.jpg (62KB, 634x404px) Image search: [Google]
1483505611704.jpg
62KB, 634x404px
>>39915300
Wow, I had to scroll down pretty far before outright vegan lying showed up.
>>
>>39911806
You should be getting your macros and micros from varied places, however that can be taken out of context as you need to eat something different daily. Pick a solid source of nutrients from red meat and eat it, your body is usually pretty good at saying "ok that's enough". Organic or high quality butcher tier meat is obviously going to work out better in your favor health wise.

>>39911851
>Rational thought

Woah

>>39915265
Ignore this type of shit and be yourself, they're going to get drowned in bureaucracy red tape on everything because we wouldn't want to offend. Let them take their 20% bioavailable soy and incomplete amino acid profiles. While they call you a meathead or whatever you'll be doing everything they do but better, whilst also maintaining a well rounded persona.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.