[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does fasting effect gains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

If I eat gud the day I lift and the two days following, then run a caloric deficit for the next two days, will this effect my gains?

Related question: if I don't lift for say, a month, and osscilate between surplus 1 week, deficit the next, and so on, will my body use the protein from my muscles to make up for what I'm not ingesting on the deficit weeks (assuming deficiency in all macros those weeks)?

Basically, does my body eat muscles as a protein source when I don't ingest enough naturally? How resilient are my gains?
>>
>>39908103
can't build muscle while caloric deficit.
get stronk maybe
>>
you're thinking too much OP.

>eat, lift, eat, repeat
>>
>>39908103
The bodybuilding diet for cutting is typically caloric deficit with high protein every day, and higher carbs the day before lifting (and carbs of the day within 1-3 hours before lifting, depending on type of carbs).
There are others that give people some success, to be sure, but they're mostly niche diets like ketosis and paleo (though I don't know of any successful bodybuilders on a paleo diet, I don't know the diet of all successful bodybuilders).
There are, naturally, other options, but modest caloric deficit (500-700 below daily caloric output) with high protein, adequate fat and moderated carbohydrates, and plenty of water, is the typical bodybuilding diet used to cut fat while maintaining as much mass as possible.
>>
>>39908707
I'm literally doing this. I just want to know if taking some days to not stuff my face with protein is going to reduce muscle mass independent of if I lift that day or not
>>
>>39908740
Thanks for this, but im mostly trying to understand the physiological effects of low protein intake days
>>
>>39908752
Yes, absolutely. The rest days are the days in which nutrition is even more important. Your protein intake should never decrease during a cut, protein intake should be constant 7 days a week during a cut, regardless of rest. Carbs and fat can be modified and cycled, but don't compromise protein consumption or you'll face catabolism.
>>
>>39908766
Low protein intake days mean muscle catabolism. Literally the opposite of what you want.
>>
>>39908782
>catabolism
that where your body breaks down muscle not fat?
>>
>>39908800
Yes, exactly.
>>
File: daffy.jpg (6KB, 300x361px) Image search: [Google]
daffy.jpg
6KB, 300x361px
>>39908817
Why, in times of starvation, would the body preferentially break down the unit of movement with which to get more food, instead of excess food that has literally been stored for this purpose

It's like breaking off pieces of your house to keep a fire going because you don't want to use up your wood
>>
>>39908845
because it slows your metaabolism which is necessary for survival during starvation
>>
>>39908845
Not sure on the science, I'm a bodybuilder by hobby and an urban designer by profession, my science background is very basic physics and some economics, and high school.
That being said, in times of duress, the body will consume that which will make the future easier. Muscle is more difficult and costly for the body to maintain than fat is, so that's a possible physiological explanation.
For more detail, I'd recommend you start searching pubmed or your local university library's physiology online catalogs.
Sorry to have given you information you didn't want to hear, but I hope it's helpful for achieving your goals in the future.
>>
>>39908845
Because your body can make what it needs to survive out of litterally everything else stored in your body and the thing that is very energy costly doing fuck all, excess muscle mass gained in a gym, is both the one thing it can do without and is filled with nutrients that the body needs to survive.

Remember.
Muscle mass that you build in a gym or from working out occasionally, the kind that isn't required for your day to day life, is basically another form of stored food for your body.
And it's the kind of food the body loves to eat into above all else.
>>
>>39908782
>>39908795
>catabolism

This is the phenomenon I was looking for/trying to understand. Thanks anon
>>
>>39908896
But metabolic rate increases during a fast... catabolism doesn't become a problem until you're fasting for literally days on end
>>
ITT: fags who are overthinking

holy shit just eat according to your goals and lift. 1 day out of the week where you can't meet your calories won't destroy your gains in the long term...
>>
OP here, here's a follow on question:

I know that for muscle growth during/following training, I should eat about 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Is the requirement to just maintain muscle mass and not have the body enter a catabolic state where it's burning muscle significantly different from that required during training?

If I weigh 180 and only eat 90g protein that day (along with carbs, fats, etc), will this prevent muscle loss, independent from whether I'm lifting or not during that time ?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.