[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good alternative to OHP Is there one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: p023d90l.jpg (79KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
p023d90l.jpg
79KB, 960x540px
What's a good alternative to OHP

Is there one?
>>
File: Arnold-Press.jpg (20KB, 576x273px) Image search: [Google]
Arnold-Press.jpg
20KB, 576x273px
Arnold Press
That's really it
>>
>>39903664
dumbbell shoulder press (standing/seated), zynduras press, landmine presses
>>
>>39903664
clean and press
>>
With dumbbells till you feel confident. Other than that front and lateral raises, but it puts a lot of strain on your shoulders. Injured myself that way years ago, not worth it so your better off learning to press in the long run.

And a tip with dumbbells, tilt the weight slightly inward while your pressing. Takes a huge load off your shoulders while giving you full range.
>>
>>39903664
Kitsune presses
>>
i like trap bar ohp due to the shoulder friendly neutral grip and straight bar path efficiency

also because you can move more weight with it than dbs and load it up inside a rack with spotter pins
>>
>>39903795
>trap bar ohp

How do you do this with a squat rack? When I add 25 pounds to each side, I am not able to rerack the bar.
>>
>>39903856
personally i load up the weights and unrack directly from the spotter pins. rerack simply lower the bar to the pins and let go.

here's a video a little different but same idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vorw1hVd_Dc
>>
>>39903795
>>39903893
how much comfier is this than barbell ohp?

honestly might do it.
>>
>>39903905
i haven't touched barbell ohp since learning about them. also gave up db press too. they shit on everything.
>>
>ctrl + f
>kinetic chain
>0 results

there is no alternative
>>
>>39903696
>>39903664

What's there to feel confident about? Just start with the bar
>>
>>39903932
Damnnn dude. Seriously?

Personally I had shoulder surgery and my shit hurts like hell for some reason on working weight db press seated, standing ohp works fine but I've been stalling heavily since my surgery.

Is trapbar ohp really that great? What do you like most about it? Should I really do it?
>>
>>39903664
I like seated dumbbell press as an accessory, I feel like it isolates my shoulders a lot more
>>
>>39903959
It's analogous to doing db ohp with neutral grip.

I like it because I can load more weight compared to db. And superior bar path and neutral grip compared to barbell.

It's the advantages of db and bb without disadvantages.
>>
>>39904015
I want to do it now

But the shitty thing is it seems kind of hard to set up ...
>>
>>39904047
What about it? Just set the pins, load the weight up, get under and press.

I actually have a spotter strap setup at all times just for trap bar ohp now. I love it.
>>
>>39903795
>>39903856
>>39903893
That is 100 times more ridiculous than I thought it would look, and I was expecting something pretty retarded.
>>
KLOKOV PRESS

Not memeing, that shit hits my traps like a motherfucker
>>
>>39903664
Staying in school
>>
seated db press
gorilla press
standing db press
push press
db push press
snatch grip btn press (klokov press)
btn push press
hammer grip db press
incline bench

plus a variety of db movements like lateral raises

try EXRX as well
>>
>>39904222
that's nice. it's a god tier lift tho.
>>
File: 1351442690293.png (72KB, 698x658px) Image search: [Google]
1351442690293.png
72KB, 698x658px
>>39903789
>>
File: shoulder anatomy.png (57KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder anatomy.png
57KB, 800x800px
>>39903664 >>39903675 >>39903696
You guys are gonna flame me for this, but the way I see it is that you're better off doing OHP on a machine + lateral shoulder raises than doing shit like Arnold presses or OHP with a bar.

Try it: raise your right arm as if you were doing a bicep curl, then put your left hand on your shoulder where the joint is-- try to put your fingers on the part where there's no muscle over the bone.

You can obviously feel the deltoid, it's that big round muscle on your outer shoulder. Lateral shoulder raises target this muscle, and when it gets big your shoulders bulge out to the sides.

On the front of your body, in front of the joint, there is a muscle going across from the endpoint of your collarbone over towards and into the deltoid. I don't know what this is called (maybe its part of the deltoid), but I believe when you use the OHP machine you are isolating this muscle, and when this muscle gets big it makes your shoulders look nice and rounded because your side deltoids don't cover the front of you.

Below that you can feel kind of a divot beneath the clavicle, and on the other side of the divot is your pectoral.
>>
>>39905057

you're probably thinking of the clavicular head of the pecs, right?

there is a slight (whether negligible or not is heavily debated) increase in activity when you do any kind of pressing above a flat incline (increasing more as you shift to a more vertical press).

But as I said, it's debatable as to whether or not targeting the clavicular head will change the shape of your pecs as you're suggesting. Maybe for some people with obvious delineation between clavicular and sternal heads it might.
>>
>>39905057
Stretch your anterior delts annon
Also rear delt work
>>
>>39905057
>>39905099
I looked it up a bit, the ???? I was referring to is the "anterior deltoid". The OHP machine really hits that whereas OHP with a bar or dumbbells will work both the "medial deltoid" (the big one on the side of your shoulder) and the anterior (front) deltoid.

As it just so happens someone posted a great example in another thread: >>39904865 which made me realize that dips and pommel horse routines are an alternative to OHP.

The thing is that the Anterior deltoid brings your arm forwards & up while the Medial deltoid brings your arm up laterally. If you want to look the best you're going to want to do two separate exercises-- one bringing the arms forward & up and one bringing the arms out & up laterally.
>>
>>39905161

you're kinda overthinking this. Nobody's saying OHP is enough for shoulders
>>
>>39903675
fpbp
>>
>>39903664
>Zydrunas press
>clean and press
>>
>>39903664
the Z-press is my favourite alternative to the OHP and was invented by a strongman competitor that can push press over 640 pounds
>>
>>39903664
Z-press
>>
why are people always trying to reinvent the wheel?
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 738x415px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 738x415px
>>39905057

Standing OHP with a bar is best because it forces you to keep your arms in front of the plane of your body. Just end the movement with a shrug at the top for good shoulder health.

Also, OHP with a bar mimics how you do other heavy vertical pressing like putting a box on a shelf or doing a handstand. It is natural.
>>
>>39903664
I like throwing the bar and catching it instead of locking out.
>>
Weighted handstand push ups
>>
>>39903664
Z Press
>>
>>39903679
alex pls go
>>
Z Presses and Landmine Presses are good
>>
>>39903664
the z press? or what ever the ohp is when you sit on the ground
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.