[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rowing machines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Hey /fit/, i just bought a rowing machine. My gym is a pain to get to so i figure when I'm too busy to make the trip to the gym I can do some rowing. What's the best way to use it for strength? Should I just do lots of 500m sprints on a high resistance?
>>
sanic speed rowing at permanent max resistance is a good way to break your erg. Do a 2k at max resistance on your off days at 15-20 strokes per minute.
>>
>>39872045
15-20 spm TOPS* take it slow but not so slow that you can't feel any tension. You'll know when you hit the sweet spot.
>>
>>39872045
>erg.
im sorry dude idk what this means. If I keep good form I surely won't damage myself
>>
>>39872059
"ergometer" aka "rowing machine"
>>
>>39872059
Dude if you are this new to rowing watch videos of people explaining how the drive works, like it's a single movement comprised of pushing with the heels and once you past your knees you use your arms, breathe in while pulling in and breathe out while pushing and so on.

You need a bit of strenght but it's more of an endurance work. Still, it's better than an elliptical or a stationary bike, great choice
>>
>>39872057
isn't this just the equivalent of a medium distance run as opposed to a sprint? I thought fast, explosive movement with the machine could help build some back/legs in the same way sprinting does.
>>
>>39872153
When it comes to erging if you go fast you will actually hit less resistance. It's how the machines are designed because it's meant to emulate actual rowing out in a boat. Additionally, you will break your machine if you continuously use high resistance at fast speeds. If you want to go fast, use low resistance.
>>
>>39872021
>high resistance
>sprints
>500m

Not gonna make it
>>
>>39872471
elabor8
>>
>>39872021
College rower here, if all you're looking for is strength, then doing short sprints is what you want. Something closer to 8x250m would probably be better for building strength, but 8x500m is better if you want mostly strength and a little cardio. 10x1'on/1'off is also a good strength/cardio workout, and something like 4x1000m is good for more cardio and a little strength.

If your a heavy guy then you can probably turn the resistance up to 7-10 for your short sprints, but for longer pieces keep it around 5-6.

MAKE SURE YOUR FORM IS GOOD HOWEVER! otherwise you'll end up injuring yourself

If you have any more questions I'll gladly answer them.
>>
>>39875571

not OP

was wondering if you do 8 sets of 250m sprints, roughly what spm should you aim for?
and for reference how long does it take you to do a 250m sprint?
>>
>>39875571
Hi.

I love rowing BUT i get a dead leg within about 2 mins when I do. I power through but after a 15-20 min row i have to wait 5 min before i can walk (srs)

Happens on concept 2 and a few other machines. Have tried different shoes, barefoot, strap adjustment...

Cheers
>>
>>39875910
spm usually comes down to personal preference. I'm not sure I've ever done a 8x250m before but when I've done 8x500m I try to keep the split around 1:38-1:40/500m @ 36spm. for something like a 250m sprint you could probably rate over 40spm.

this is all on a concept2 btw, if you're using a different rower then I'm not sure how the times will compare.

>>39875948
sorry I'm unfamiliar with the term "dead leg". If you mean lactic acid buildup, try rowing at a slower pace if you're doing long pieces.
>>
>>39872021
>>39875571
>>39876102
also I forgot to mention, you might want to check out @samloch on instagram. He is a former olympian who now trains for short explosive pieces on the erg, and often talks about his training in the comments
>>
>>39875571
>>39876124
thanks man, exactly what i was looking for
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.