[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 34

Is it okay to replace Barbell exercises with Dumbbell ones if that's all I have access to? When picking a routine
>>
>>39847589
no but it's better than doing nothing
>>
>>39847623
Thanks. It's only temporary.
Btw I have another question.
I've read around that some people choose not to do flat bench press at all and instead replace it with DB incline bench press and weighted Chest Dips. Is this acceptable?
>>
Whats a good site that can pin down your tdee really well I've been trying to find one but my autistic ass cant seem to find the right one.
>>
This is coming from a complete novice but ive done that and have noticed more gains. Just remember to do the full range of motion and not pussy reps
>>
>>39847589
I think I slightly fucked up my left wrist today on OHP. It's not terrible, just some pain, but should I switch up my routine for my wrist involved compound lifts (Power Cleans and OHP next week)? I won't do PCs until wednesday and OHP until next friday, but I usually do a 5x5 of full weight all the way through, should I do something like 1/3 2/3 3/3 2/3 1/3 for those lifts?
>>
>>39847738
*Pain might be gone by monday, but just checkin what others say in case it doesn't
>>
>>39847589
I have no interest in lifting weights. But I do have an interest in swimming. I've always been skinny fat. I've heard that purely swimming won't get you big, but can get you lean which is pretty much my goal: not to be soft but lean and firm. Is this true?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161231-183740.png (295KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161231-183740.png
295KB, 1440x2560px
Wtf do i do now
>>
>>39847668
you can do whatever you wanna do

dips are great

db inclines are pretty good

>>39847804
you have to swim sprints, so 25-50 meter fast as you can
>>
>>39847668
Bump
>>39847708
Thanks for the reassurance
>>
>>39847811
What do you think you do now? You go on a fucking date
>>
>>39847841
How do I close
>>
>>39847825
So I'm looking at Swim HIIT routines. Sweet. So if I couple my swimming with a calorie tracked, high protein diet, can I transition from skinny fat to lean? Or skinny lean rather kek
>>
>>39847864
possibly
>>
>>39847844
Lmao you don't even deserve to close. She already agreed you bum.
>>
>>39847864
Pic for reference
>>
>>39847589

desu, db chest press is better than bb. now, this is NOT the case with squats, but do what you have access to.
>>
>>39847874
REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>39847804
I competed internationally and went to Olympic trials for swimming. You're kind of right. I don't think there's anything better to get a lean body, but what >>39847825 says is nonsense. You're going to have to do serious meters and you're not going to like it at all. You probably won't have the time required for it. Plus, every swimmer still does weights (most sprinters actually do more weights than swimming now).

Also if you're not 12 years old at the most, you might as well do rowing. The main thing people get from swimming, aside from great cv endurance, is it encourages shoulder growth when they're younger. You'd get better results from rowing for what you want.
>>
Can i progress 531 slower, so that i increase per cycle 5lbs on lower body and 2,5 on upper body?
i really want to make slow but steady progress
>>
>>39847668
Some people don't do flat bench. Usually, these are people who have lifted for a while and have shoulder issues. Dips are great, but I would also suggest doing incline and/or overhead pressing DB or BB as it is much easier to adjust the weight and progression on the latter lifts.
>>
File: CplGb4hXYAE24l-.jpg (215KB, 867x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CplGb4hXYAE24l-.jpg
215KB, 867x1200px
>>39847920
Thanks dude for taking the time. I'll seriously look into rowing. Funny thing, my friend actually invited me to go rowing next summer. So on a regular basis can I use the rowing machines? Are these okay? Naturally I wont be able to do real rowing regularly. And I assume I'd have to aim for distance on rowing machines right? As opposed to doing HIIT.

So just to sum up: rowing + calorie counted high protein diet + consistency = lean slender body. Is pic related realistic to what I can expect? I'm flabby and soft in areas of my body but I'm not worried about loose skin at all
>>
>>39847961
Yes. So what you do is instead of adding 10lbs and 5lbs to the lower body and upper body lifts per cycle, you instead add 5lbs and 2.5lbs per cycle.
>>
>>39847964
Cool, in my routine I'll definitely be incorporating OHP DB along with incline DB press and chest dips.
>>
>>39847969
HIIT would actually be much more effective on rowing than for swimming. You could do it but you'd really have to put in maximum effort every session, otherwise it's just a waste of time.
>>
>>39848056
I think I'll stick to the rowing now after reading about it. Any awesome rowing routines/program that come to mind? I'm looking right now
>>
What's a good alternative to Flat bench press?
>>
How the hell do you eat 2500 calories in 3 meals?
Im working and cant eat during working hours.
My lunch and dinner consist of 300g of chicken breast, one bowl of white rice, some salad and one orange.
That means I eat 550x2 plus breakfast which result to 1500 calories per day????
>>
>>39848168
Flat dumbbell bench press

Dips
>>
>>39848260
Are you fucking retarded? add a fucking snickers bar to each meal and you got your 2500 calories
>>
>>39847589
Hey Kyle
My goal: aesthetics
My questions
1. Is leg press machine really that bad? Will using it over barbell squats make a difference with my aesthetic results?

2. Opinion on coolcicadas PPL routine to reach my goal? I plan on staying natty
>>
File: Screenshot_20161231-115241.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161231-115241.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Friend claims this is acceptable bottom of range of motion for leg press. What do you think?
>>
>>39847844
Are you autistic? Ask her to go out for drinks or something you dumbass
>>
File: 1457203869731.jpg (18KB, 199x196px) Image search: [Google]
1457203869731.jpg
18KB, 199x196px
>>39848445
range of motion depends on what you wanna train, longer ROM you activate more musclefibers, I usually do shorter ROMs when Im too exhausted to do full ROM, but only doing the short ones are not recommended if you want to build muscle more efficiently
>>
>>39847668
Just do DB flat bench instead of BB flat, its what i have been doing for over a year
>>
File: 1450903303726.jpg (162KB, 1400x787px) Image search: [Google]
1450903303726.jpg
162KB, 1400x787px
I've never been able to take pills with just water (long story...) but I am on multiple supplements which I take in the morning and evening with a diet soda. But apparently diet soda is just as bad about raising glucose levels as regular soda, so I need something new to take pills with that isn't full of sugar/sweeteners. Preferably something I can take with me, but not necessary. Any ideas /fit/? Currently cutting btw.

THICC UNRELATED
>>
>>39848260
Mass gaining protein shake with whole milk for breakfast/dinner
>>
>>39848366
1. Yes and yes

2. Its bad. Do a beginner routine like everyone else
>>
>>39848528
Diet soda does not raise your glucose levels. I don't know where you people get that stupid ass idea. It has zero, repeat ZERO, fucking calories how the fuck would it increase your blood sugar?
>>
File: MiO_water_enhancers_2.jpg (2MB, 2592x1286px) Image search: [Google]
MiO_water_enhancers_2.jpg
2MB, 2592x1286px
>>39848528
Sometimes I have the same problem. I don't know if it's because the water doesn't mask the taste of the pill as well, because juice/milk/just about anything else makes taking pills easier.

What about those little bottles of flavouring like pic related? You add a drop or two and it makes your water flavoured. There's a bunch of different types, for some time I was using those Crystal Light packages that you pour into bottled water.

It's still technically artificial sweetener stuff, but it's portable and maybe better than an entire can of diet pop.
>>
>>39848562
http://www.wsj.com/articles/research-shows-zero-calorie-sweeteners-can-raise-blood-sugar-1410973201

There are tons of other sites that would disagree with you. There's this new website called Google. It's pretty cool. You can put words in it and it gives you free information. Try putting in 'diet soda glucose levels'. Hours of fun right there!
>>
>>39848570
I have those, but I'm still trying to eschew fake sugars. Would love fruit juice, but that shit is pure glucose...
>>
>>39848591
True, but if it comes down to having a bit of fake sugar vs. going through a struggle to take pills with water, this might be one of your better options. I suppose you could only drink as much as you need to get the pills down. A couple mouthfuls of fake sugar drink every day probably won't make a big difference in the long run.
>>
>>39848528
I feel like you need to address the not being able to take pills with water that is weird. But also there is milk, coffee, tea, if you count the sugars into your macros fresh fruit juice is more than pure glucose, fibre and vitamins are good for you
>>
>>39848608
Valid point I suppose. Gonna research the amount of fake sugar between the two real quick.
>>
>>39848584
>wsj

here's a real study:

"The indicated increased clearance rate of plasma Phe after albumin may be caused by the significant increase of insulin, on which aspartame had no effect"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

plenty of other choice quotes about how aspartame does not increase insulin or blood glucose levels if you have access to the study. which is to be completely expected from something that has ZERO FUCKING CALORIES. one more time: glucose is caloric; it has to come from something with calories; diet soda has no calories whatsoever
>>
>>39848684
It's not the only source. And until there are as many credible sources as there are HURR WSJ articles, I probably won't be convinced.
>>
>>39848701
dude i'm a biochem major at the #1 biochem department in the country. the idea that something that has zero calories (you know, like water) would lead to an increase in blood sugar is asinine. it's fucking absurd on its face.
>>
>>39848708
Tell you what. Post some kind of proof that backs up that claim and I will let you win this argument. No contest, will 100% believe you if you are what you say you are.
>>
>>39847589
Does anyone have the "average fitizen" pic? It's Wojak (aka le feels man) with
>hoodie to conceal gains
>ample capacity for feels
>mega quads
>10% homo
>>
File: 1426523036419.jpg (52KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
1426523036419.jpg
52KB, 210x330px
>>39848562
>>39848584
it is because some retarded logic like "It tricks your taste buds thinking its sugar and you start sending out insulin derp" it doesnt work that way, Coke Zero and light is sweetened with Aspartame(atleast over here), aspartame does NOT trigger any glucose levels or insulin, but sweeteners like Sucralose DOES increase insulin.
>>
Can anyone recommend some good dumbbell-only intermediate workouts?
>>
>>39848708
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/

Here's a study showing it does affect insulin. Your link sucked by the way. Would you hand in such a poorly formatted research study and expect a good grade?
>>
>make one weird move
>pinch nerve in the neck

It just keeps happening. Paralyzing pain, basically can't move from the neck down, arm gets numb or hurts from the shoulder down. Ibuprofen doesn't help. I use Diclofenac orally and the gel and when it gets so bad that I can't get any sleep all I can do is go to my GP, he injects some painkiller in my neck and sends me home. It usually takes about 1 week until the pain is gone, but reoccurs pretty much every month, at least every other month.

Question is: What are preventative measures to avoid pinching a nerve in your neck or back? Obviously, strengthening the muscles in that area should help, but wouldn't it be very likely that it happens again during the workout?

Have to add, I have scoliosis, especially in the upper part of the spine.
>>
>>39848795
>scoliosis in the upper spine

Well gee retard i dunno what could be causing that. Must not be drinking enough whole milk and taking your spine supplements.

How about you go see a doctor instead of begging for shitty medical advice on a Brazilian hiking forum?
>>
>>39848814
There's no treatment.
>>
Starting on SL 5x5 since I now have a squat rack and a barbell + weights (was just working with dumbbells and an EZ-curl bar before). Unfortunately I won't have a bench until the end of next week. Is there anything I can do to replace bench presses until my bench comes in?
>>
>>39848871
Floor press. Weighted pushups.
>>
>>39847589
Anyone know anything about muscle spasms?
I've had intermittent neck spasms in one spot for a couple of weeks now and it's worrying me a bit.
>>
Is it normal for a 5'9", 154 pounds (70KG) male to not be able to cut and eat 1500 cals a day? I literally cannot eat less than 1700, the initial amount was a goal I put for myself mostly based on calorie calculators which tell me I should be normally eating around 2000 cals a day and that in order to lose weight I would need to eat 500 calories less than that. I just can't bring myself to though, I feel like a disgusting fat fuck.
>>
>>39848445
I wouldnt say this is full ROM, imagine he was squatting to that depth.
>>
>>39848889
Eat a banana.
>>
>>39848907
300 cals is an acceptable deficit. As long as you eat under your maintenance it should be okay, but the "optimal" deficit is supposed to be 500 cals.
Also, eat more fibers. You'll be more satiated for fewer calories (and read the sticky if you haven't already).

>>39848915
... would you elaborate? Does potassium have something to do with muscle spasm?
>>
I'm on a intermediate level by now, according to symmetric strength, should I move from my 3x a week full body routine that's been kinda of stalling and go to something like PPL or routine? I wanted a good routine that made me go 5 times a week to the gym.
>>
>>39848755
Bumping
>>
>>39848720
Bumpity bump
>>
Any good routines without dl or leg press?
>>
I know there's pretty much nothing to do about stretch marks outside laser surgery or the likes but even then.

I got this prunus dulcis oleosomes oil, it has that as the only ingredient. Is this fine to PREVENT stretch marks from happening? any dermatologist here?
>>
>>39848937
You can do PPL if you want, intermediate just means that you shouldn't try and progress linearly any more. You now have to modulate frequency and intensity in some manner. Either 5/3/1 style where you taper from high volume down to low, Or weekly undulating volume like Texas method where you have a high intensity day work towards a single heavy set and a volume day lighter weight for as many sets as possible.
>>
File: cat question.jpg (51KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
cat question.jpg
51KB, 400x323px
>>39847589
What's the point of Tinder if you can't fuck the women without a condom on?
>>
>>39848924
It's tough I tell ya
>>
Is there a template on how to build your own PPL? Can anyone link me?
>>
>>39847589
In my experience, you absolutely can replace barbells for most exercises. Only things I'd say you couldn't do it effectively on are deadlifts. Squats might be a little more tricky because your body will need to stabilize more, but there's also other variations such as goblet squats.
I recommend checking out Scott Herman's barbell vs dumbbell videos where he weighs the pros & cons of both and decide for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuCM7_bzkFo
>>
>>39847589
I feel too ill to lift, should I rest up and return to lifting on Tuesday?
>>
>>39849398
Not that I know of, but here's the basics:

>Go around your shoulder girdle in equal volume.
>For strength; main lift>assistance lift
>For "shape"; main lift>isolation lift
>>
>>39849398
I can help you bro. You can apply GZCL principles to your PPL.

Pick one movement that you want to make your main movement, your strength movement. For example, overhead press for push, deadlift for pull, front squat for legs. You train this movement first, and in lower rep ranges (1-5 reps or so).

Tier 2 is 1-2 exercises that are in between strength and hypertrophy. Ideally they will complement your tier 1 movements. For example dips, weighted chins, and stiff legged deads. 5-10 reps or so.

Tier 3 is gonna be 2-4 exercises that are less fatiguing to your CNS. They'll involve mostly a focus on very specific muscles and you're focusing on the pump to cause growth and prevent injury. Examples could be lateral raises, bicep curls, and calf raises.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>39849428
Nothing wrong with skipping a day, just don't make it a habit. General rule is, if it's in your head then exercise, if it's in your chest then skip cardio, if it's in your gut stay home.
>>
In the running thread, some guys were talking about "preworkouts" for when I'm doing long distance running. What are preworkouts?
>>
Is bulking for a natty really a meme?

I think I'm a hard-gainer, and over the last year I really pushed myself to eat a lot of food. I gained 30lbs (without gaining too much additional fat) and have been wondering how to best approach my next year of lifting.

Should I just eat till I'm full and not worry about a caloric surplus or any of that stuff, provided I'm getting enough protein?
>>
>>39849650
Cutting and bulking is only for competing bodybuilders, a normal person is better off lean bulking, roids or not makes no difference
>>
>>39847703
fitnessfrog is fine
>>
>>39849650
Bulking and cutting is not a meme.

If you are eating pretty consistently everyday, and adding weight to the bar, no need to change.

A good rule of thumb is bulk until you can't see your abs.

Fwiw ill be going all out till mid march / april
>>
>>39849464
I don't remember any of that in any of the /run/ threads, but on my long, slow distance days, my "pre-workout" is a banana, 20 fl oz of water, and an anti-diarrhea med.
>>
>>39849721
Theres a run thread ATM that is mentioning pre work out

Anti-diarrhea?
>>
>>39849464

They could be warm-up exercises or stretches (doubtful) or supplements that are taken before a work out (caffeine, creatine, meth, etc)
>>
U/L split or PPL for them natty aesthetic gains?
>>
>>39849755
I thought /run/ threads stopped being posted because they were nothing but trolls and "how does I post the same question and get the same response thread after thread?"

I'm one of those people who gets runner's diarrhea really bad even if i poop prior to running. So I take an anti-diarrhea med prior to running.
>>
been sick in bed since last wednesday, last workout was monday, probably won't be able to get in until tomorrow or monday

Just basically been eating at maintenance and resting, anything else I can do to preserve my gains?
>>
>>39849672

So I gather that I should just try to eat whenever I feel hungry, while also eating mostly clean.

>>39849685

What I had been doing over the last year was really fucking difficult. I felt like puking due to sheer stomach volume after a lot of meals. I think that I am going to stop trying so hard to get calories in.
>>
>>39849873
Your gains will be fine lad. Practice posing in the mirror and flexing, srs.
>>
>>39847703
Just track what you eat and your weight, after like a week just add up all the calories and /7 and adjust for any weight change
>>
>>39849778
preferring U/L here
>>
My BP has stalled for like 2 months because I have nobody to spot me at the gym since I go at weird hours and I'm too much of a pussy to push myself without one. How badly would I be cheating myself if I tried supplementing with the smith machine?
>>
>>39849778
Back when I was busy I'd do a U/L/full body routine. That way if I got busy I'd still be able to get at least the full body workout in once a week.
>>
>>39850096
Bench in the squat rack.
>>
>>39849859
I have never heard of runners diarrhoea!
>>
I haven't lifed in two years and this is my only new years resolution. When I was lifting I only went to the gym i.e. I ate the same amount I normally do; 1200 calories a day (5'6 manlet). Needless to say I looked like shit and stopped.

I want to start again but I literally feel full most of the time and I only eat once a day (As well as the fact I'm busy from 7AM to 9PM. What are easier ways to ingest 1:1 protein:weight as well as get about 3000 calories daily?

Also, for the workout plans are the ones in the sticky still highly recommended or is there one generally recommended by /fit/ for beginner?
>>
>>39848924
bump
>>
File: 1474748492906.jpg (106KB, 750x785px) Image search: [Google]
1474748492906.jpg
106KB, 750x785px
So, a week ago I went to see my old mates from school I used to go to

Needles to say, I got completely hammered. I don't usually drink, but this was the first time I got actually drunk

I drank about 15-20 shots of whiskey, moonshine, liquer, vodka and absinthe (we played Roulette). I drank it by itself, without any water or crap like that

When I got home, I was throwing up for nearly three hours. Everytime I put my head back I thought I was going to die

My question is: undoubtedly I threw up everything I had in my stomach, did those calories from the alcohol count? I was there for maybe 4 hours

Thanks in advance
>>
>>39850620
Just start working out. Your appetite will naturally increase from doing so.

The information in the sticky still works, but remember that the workout programs (SS, SL, etc) are for beginners, and aren't recommended if you're not a novice.
>>
>>39847589
I've been lifting fairly consistently for about 4 months now. I really enjoy it and don't plan on quitting. I'm wondering though, how bad in new years going to be? Is it as awful as everyone makes it out to be? What's going to happen tomorrow?
>>
>>39850200
Not a bad idea but I can't really move shit around in this gym, everything's bolted down. Unless you're joking in which case I wouldn't know because I'm retarded.
>>
>>39850773
Depends how many NYR's will be there.
SIR's comics are obviously exaggerated and meme'd, but there is some stuff in there that's true, e.g:
>free weights all over the FUCKING FLOOR
>crowded areas
>people who don't know what the fuck they're doing

It's only for a while, though. Most of them don't last that long anyway.
>>
File: 1430081294660.jpg (124KB, 537x720px) Image search: [Google]
1430081294660.jpg
124KB, 537x720px
>>39850741
Why do you newfags always go with the

>I totally lifted before but I took a break, how much weight can I loose in x period of time, if I cut down my calories by y and do z amound of running every day?

Do you have a template for that shit?

What, you meeting someone in three weeks? Girlfriend, boyfriend, old friends? Your fat ass will never loose 10 lbs in three weeks. It's better if you rather start coming with excuses

If you are serious about it:

>read the sticky
>read the sticky
>read the goddamn fucking sticky

There's an answer to all your questions there, we put that there for a reason
>>
>>39850773
Depends on the gym

Don't worry boo, everything will be over soon
>>
>>39850812
>people don't know what the fuck they're doing
sounds like a perfect time for me, I won't stick out as much
>>
>>39847589
Should I just keep cutting forever if my goal is to get higher push/pull up reps and lower my run/swim times?
>>
>>39850871
think about that question for a second and see if it's really a good idea
>>
>>39850096
Find a non-lank lenklet without headphones.

>Hey man would you mind giving me a quick spot?
>Sure how many you going for?
>Trying to do 5 all on my own. Could I get a lit on three please?
>Yeah man. Ready?
>One, two, three.
And then you lift.

Its really not hard.

Sometimes if I can't find anyone, I'll find the nearest employee and ask them. They're pretty much obligated to say yes.
>>
Is there anyone that had scoliosis and knows how to fix that? I remember some therapist telling me a few years ago that I had a mild case of scoliosis but I never got any treatment for it really.

Also what is the deal with stretches? Do I do them before/after workout? Or at a whole different time entirely. And what are the benefits?
>>
>>39851006
but anon, I am the lanklet
thanks for the advice though
>>
If I am shit at push ups, will doing knee/half knee push ups help work up to it?
I can barely do 8 push ups but can go up to 80 knee push ups.
>>
How can I best maintain good form when doing barbell exercises? Like, how can I separate a good squat from a bad one?

Trying not to fuck up SL 5X5 here.
>>
>>39850871
Yes. Cut forever until there is no physical form left. This world is merely and illusion. Your gains are waiting for you in the afterlife.
>>
>>39851090
You lack ab/quad strength. If you can only do 8, do 5 sets of 6-7 every other day. As you progress, just stay within 1-2 reps of your max. Throw a set of maximum duration planking before you start hitching your ass up/feeling it in your lower back.
>>
What does "get a good pump" means?
>>
>>39851090
Is there a particular reason you want to focus on push ups? With weights, you can adjust the weight to find a weight that you can work with.

If you want to only do push ups, I would do standard push ups 5x5 and then knee push ups for 5xfailure. In this way, you are working your push up ability and getting a lot of volume with the knee push ups.
>>
Do I always have to be bulking in order to build muscle, and then cut to lose the fat from bulking while trying to lose as little muscle as possible?
>>
>>39851094
Start with the bar

Find the movement path and range of motion that feels natural and is training the muscles you want to train

Increase the weight until it stops feeling natural
>>
I want to start fasted walking and my treadmill has preprogrammed routines in it lasting up to half an hour with varying speeds. Should i do one of these programmes or just stick to a low constant speed?
>>
>>39851094
Good form usually means you are keeping your body tight throughout the full range of motion. Ideally, your lift should look the same with a weight and without a weight. Practice your lifts by yourself at home. Recognize what a good movement feels like in your body and then replicate it in the gym with weights.

In a good squat, the knees are pressing outwards and the back angle does not change. In a bad squat, the knees may start to cave in, there is rounding of the back and/or leaning forward, and the hips may shoot up.
>>
>>39851177
Do what you like anon. Easier to measure progress in some regards with steady state, perhaps less boring with variation.
>>
>>39848445
I was trying to press play to see how low he was going before I realized it was a .Png, so that should give you a hint.
>>
>>39851147
When you lift weights, your body pumps them full of blood. The muscles end up looking much bigger. A good pump is reaching this state, but not lifting so much that you become fatigued.
>>
>>39851094
Loop up Rippytitty on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3izzg0RCTg

For example. Search for other lifts yourself. I never had problems with form thanks to Rippy

Preferably get someone at the gym to check your form
>>39851090
Continue with doing push-ups. 5xF
Doing 80 push ups on your knees is just a bad cardio

When you get better, do elevated push ups. Diamond push-ups. Whatever you like

But there's no point to it. Get to gym as soonest you can, training push ups will only get you good at doing more push ups
>>39851164
You don't have to bulk unless you are a skeleton

500kcal surplus is enough. When you get to to your goal weight, cut at 300-500kcal deficit

Doing stupid shit with your body will either get you fat, or you'll look like a dyel when you cut (You could avoid it by eating high enough amount of protein so your muscles wouldn't start breaking down, but that takes dedication, at it's not something beginners should do)
>>39851147
Veins, muscles, eyes and dick popping out
>>
Is there a difference between lifting same weight for X sets, and lifting weight then increase weight for every set until you hit X sets?

I've been doing the former one (on PHUL program) but I'm curious about the latter one and I might change to that, any opinions about that?
>>
>>39849137
Look for college sluts. They're all on that free birth control.
>>
>>39851289
BC alone is not justification to go raw dog in my book
>>
How to become flexible?
>>
>>39847623
Don't listen to this weak pussy. Dumbel is got tier. Harder to stabilize and more weight is much more impressive.
>>
File: IMG_0106.jpg (139KB, 661x1021px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0106.jpg
139KB, 661x1021px
Why do I look fatter when wearing pants? Pic related. Flexing abs in both pics, both taken just now.

To be more fitness related, what's the best way to increase my plank time? Normal planks every day or a specific routine like the 30 day plank challenge?
>>
Can someone recommend a good broke poor as dirt home routine for someone that can't afford a gym, equipment but maybe a pair of 2 pound dumbbells from the dollar store?
>>
Why in the holy name of fuck is it so hard for me to progress my OHP? I've been lifting for a few months and I can barely fucking push 75 pounds for 3 sets of 10 before I burn out

any tips?
>>
I'm looking to switch to SS from SL and ICF I've watched a few videos by Rippetoe and I'm concerned about Power Cleans as an exercise.

He says in the video that the power clean is only a way to display your relative explosiveness and is not an exercise used to increase strength. My question is why bother? Can I use that time to get another set of 1x5 deadlifts in? The volume on deadlifts seems low and he says its because you squat everyday, but power cleans also tax your hips as well.

Whats the deal?
>>
File: 1475564210741.gif (182KB, 226x224px) Image search: [Google]
1475564210741.gif
182KB, 226x224px
What am I supposed to do with my hands when standing around? I normally want to put them in my pockets or cross my arms but feel like those look a little autist like.
>>
>>39851943
Change your reps around to increase strength, and invest in some micro plates. 75 seems a bit low for needing microplates though, so it just sounds like you're not eating enough.

Change to 3 to 5 sets of 5. 3x10 is a lot of volume for shoulder work, so you end up getting burnt out instead of gaining strength.
>>
>>39851980
I mean I started lifting on a cut, so I'm eating what i'm allowed to eat, since I didnt really see the need to get fatter than I already am before starting a cut
>>
>>39851970
Dynamic stretches
>>
>>39851943
Stop doing sets of 10
>>
>>39851967
Power cleans only replace deadlifts when your deadlift gets too big to do every session. Try doing rows instead of cleans on your B day.
>>
>>39851883
If you have a bathroom scale, buy some sandbags and create a set of weights for yourself. Fill the sandbags with dirt and use the scale to determine their weight. Create a set of 5 lbs, 10 lbs, 25 lbs, and create more sets of 25lbs as needed. Anything above that is probably pushing the bag quality.

Use the bags and save up for a barbell to hook them on to.

Look up dinosaur training.
>>
>>39850023
>>39850181
Im thinking about doing something like PHUL, I'm willing to give a PPL routine a try, but 6 days a week sounds like a lot of time and opportunity for skipped work outs for whatever reason.
>>
>>39851967
>39851967
Congratulations you have the capacity of critical thought. Your plan is correct

>>39851994
Micro plates are perhaps the faggiest gym accessory, but I agree with changing your rep scheme. Heavy triples are good for building strength on ohp because you can hold your breath for all the reps pretty easily
>>
>>39852005
But rows aren't a good logical replacement for power cleans. Power cleans aren't really a back exercise if done correctly.

Yeah I saw his program and he says you should only DL until you stall out, then switch to DL/PC alternating. Maybe I can alternate DL/SLDL instead once I reach that point (again).
>>
>>39852023
power cleans hit the traps pretty hard, especialy if you do hang cleans
>>
>>39851843
Bump
>>
>>39851843
because your hips stick out farther than your love handles which makes your waist appear smaller, when wearing pants they just look baggy/loose instead of riding your hips

why do you want to increase your plank time it's kind of a shitty goal, now if your goal is to build abs and core strength do weighted planks, 30-90 second sets
>>
>>39852097
you shouldn't have to use your arms at all. You will because we all want that extra 5%, but you shouldn't, as it's bad practice for what really lifts the weight.
>>
>>39852178
>arms are back
>>
Do you guys know any place I can read about calisthenics more? My only source of information is this guys channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCeGmVWNw0 and when I google calisthenics all I get is some cheesy articles written buy people who never get to the point, the kind who work for female style & make up magazines. Unfortunately I never see a calisthenics thread on here, so does /fit/ know of some forum or informational site about calisthenics.
>>
>>39850887
>>39851124
What is hyperbole? Would 8.5% be a good place to stop?
>>
I don't eat dairy and I barely eat meat. I'm sick of being bombarded by videos and studies showing how shit meat and animal products are for you so I'm thinking of just cutting it out all together. Won't be that hard since I only eat chicken.

How the fuck am I meant to get 180g of protein a day if I remove chicken from my diet? How do vegans do it?

>vegangans video on chicken linked to reducing penis size pushed me over the edge
>>
>>39847589
Barbells are easier to lift.
With dumbbells you'll see struggle to get them in position and you'll progress slower unless you have microplates.
>>
whats the best way for a UKfag to pick up a good amount of weight plates on the cheap, and whats the highest i can safely go on a 1" bar? ebay seems ok at about £30 for a 20kg plate, but i want to know if i can do better

also, can you deadlift indoors with matts on the carpet and not actually damage the floorboards, or do i need to take that shit outdoors?
>>
File: lots.png (28KB, 455x397px) Image search: [Google]
lots.png
28KB, 455x397px
This is how many calories is needed for running and doing push ups everyday? Seems like a lot.
>>
>>39852230
Legumes and grains

Since you're gonna naturally be reducing your fat intake you can afford the extra carbs
>>
whats the difference between impact whey protein and impact whey isolate?

inb4 google search, shit results
>>
>>39852353
concentrate is higher carb, boosts immune system better, more likely to cause digestive issues

isolate is higher protein
>>
>>39852266
even if you're doing pushups and running every day, I wouldn't consider that heavy exercise. Probably light, unless you're running a really long time
>>
>>39848907
Forgot to mention I do IF so I literally devour everything I see after 20 hours of fasting.
>>
>just peed on a ketostik for shits n giggles
>it says I'm deep into ketosis
>pissed on another
>same result
>I ate a burger an hour ago
>I ate about 4 slices of pizza yesterday
are they broken or what?
>>
>>39852267
But 150g of chicken breast has around 30g protein, 150g of lentils has only 10g. Am I going to have to eat shit loads of beans and lentils to make this work?
>>
>>39852416
where did you get them from? A lot of stuff medicine related is not accurate/does not work when not preserved properly.
>>
>>39852456
amazon about a year ago
I could try someone elses piss but I don't want to do that
>>
>>39852353
One is a waste of money, one is a bigger waste of money.
>>
can someone post the chloe pics of her with wide shoulders and what not? I need to show my trainer what im going for
>>
>>39852424
Yes. Being a vegetarian/vegan is just harder when it comes to meeting your nutritional needs, especially recovering from workouts. Also keep in mind that some vegetarian proteins are incomplete and need to be combined. For instance, rice and beans.
>>
>>39852266
>seems like a lot

depends on the amount you run obviously..

pushups don't burn a lot of calories but running does, if u run for 1hour that's already 1k calories added to your rested TDEE which would be about 2300-500 given your height.
>>
>>39852462
I think its not working properly. What you said is actually a good idea, you can try it with some buddy. btw are you feeling all right?

Wikipedia :
>Also, when the body is in ketosis, one's breath may smell of acetone.

If you were close to a person they would definitely notice it..... Breath into your hand
>>
>>39847703
https://tdeecalculator.net/

My favorite ^
>>
>>39852353
impact whey protein = 80% protein per scoop
impact whey isolate = ~99% protein per scoop
>>
>>39851281
I've personally seen more gains when I do pyramid sets (set of 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 6 increasing weight every time you go down in reps) but it's sort of a personal preference too. try doing pyramids for three weeks and see if you like them. Alternating between pyramids and set weights and reps every couple of weeks is a good way of switching it up
>>
>>39851943
Touch up sets. Ie, do 3 sets heavier weights for 1-3 reps.
>>
File: hairy ass.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
hairy ass.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
How do I smooth out my sides ? Is it just a matter of body fat % ?
>>
File: 1469734648400.png (652KB, 833x676px) Image search: [Google]
1469734648400.png
652KB, 833x676px
>>39853111
>jojo star tatoo
>>
>>39853111
yes you need to drop 15-20 lbs
>>
>>39850807
You dont have those free benches in the dumbbell area that you can just move to the squat rack?
>>
File: 1316549557253.jpg (27KB, 582x329px) Image search: [Google]
1316549557253.jpg
27KB, 582x329px
is running supposed to be harder than lifting? I can lift to the point where my limbs are jelly and I fucking love it, but any intense cardio and I'm close to throwing up (actually did once, in the middle of a packed gym - did manage to make it to a bin at least).
>>
im beginner doing SS, should I be using creatine at all?
>>
File: 1442619962176.jpg (18KB, 250x325px) Image search: [Google]
1442619962176.jpg
18KB, 250x325px
>>39853111
lose some weight and they'll go away, nice trips
>>
>>39853692
don't run so hard you fuking puke you mong. Either do intervals of high intensity or just find a pace that you can sustain. As your conditioning gets better you'll be able to run faster and longer.
>>
How do you get into private instagrams without following?
>>
>>39847589
What does 1/2/3/4 mean?
>>
Some exercises are better with dumbbells. Dumbbell shoulder press, for instance, is much better at isolating the delts than standing military press. Not to say one is a "better" exercise than the other, though. I also prefer to do rows with dumbbells.

You can get by using dumbbells for pretty much everything except deadlifts. And even then you still can if you have a gym with 100+ lb dumbbells.
>>
>>39853856
1 plate OHP, 2 plate bench, 3 plate squat, 4 plate deadlift
>>
I have a shitty lower back, I always have problems with it.

I'm thinking of either skipping deadlifts entirely or using low weights for a relatively long time compared to my other lifts.

Does this sound okay to build some rudimentary lower back muscle or should I just drop them entirely and work on some other lower back exercises?
>>
File: zdfgghdfgh.png (47KB, 670x679px) Image search: [Google]
zdfgghdfgh.png
47KB, 670x679px
I need a routine to do more volume and build muscle mass
done 10 months of novice routines, got decent results but since I started as a skelly I'm having trouble progressing.
I can go 4 times a week.
I'm torn
>PHUL (with less leg work+ arms on lower days cos I have big legs already)
or
>some 4day variation of PPL with little leg work, basically a PP with an L sometime once a week
>>
If humans are omnivores why does a lot of raw meat make us sick when we eat it? There couldn't have been some sort of expectation that we would at some point learn how to cook meat. Why does the texture of raw meat gross us out? I don't think that's just a cultural thing.
>>
>>39854187
you should try to figure out whether your lower back problem is because it's injured or if it's just weak. anonymous people on a bulgarian woodworking forum aren't going to be able to tell you that for sure, so, if you haven't already, go to a doctor and see if they can help you determine what's wrong with it.

my personal thoughts are if it's a real injury, yeah, avoid deadlifts and try to find something to rehab it
if it's just a weak low back, start with a low weight and work on deadlifts with strict form at a weight you can safely handle. maybe work on back extensions too.
>>
I actually fucked it up doing DLs about a month ago, I 'aggravated' the disc according to my physiotherapist.

It seems fine now (I can squat without any lower back pain for the past week) so I'll go in at a super low weight and work my way up I think for now. If I feel any pain I'll just avoid it and do some back extensions instead.

Thanks for the help. Any other stuff I can do for the lower back as a replacement?
>>
File: 1482558208266.jpg (182KB, 800x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482558208266.jpg
182KB, 800x720px
>>39847964
This is me.

I have a unstable shoulder prone to dislocation.
It is impossible for me to do bench without extreme discomfort. And my shoulder doesn't go back far enough for regular squats.

I use almost entirely dumbells. I feel lit has made my joints and tendons more stable as well.

>what my face used to look like when browsing PLG threads with my bad shoulder
>>
Is there a guide on how many/much vegetables I should be eating daily? Maybe one that also tells me how to prepare them in different ways... all I really know how to do is broccoli and butter.
>>
>>39854616
butter isn't a vegetable anon.
>>
So I know six-pack is highly dependent on diet. But what is the amount of qb work I have to do to make sure whenever I do cut enough fat, I can see the abs. I've been 6'2" and 160 pounds at one point and still couldn't see abs despite having almost no visible/grabbable belly fat. So obviously I do need to exercise abs more. I'm biking now, so I don't expect to see them right now, but down the line I'd like to be able to cut and see a six pack.

All the "an routines" I find online are meme cardio bunny plank+crunches though. So, again, what is a good an routine for a man to find a six pack?
>>
>>39854586
Shit I meant to quote >>39854497
>>
>>39847589
Where's SIR's comic?
>>
>>39854678
a six pack will come mainly from your body fat percentage and genetics, if you wanted one bad enough you could just do pure cardio and get your body fat as low as possible.
>>
How the fuck do you have sex?

I took a girl home earlier and I didn't know if I was thrusting right. Fuck, I didnt know if it was even in because of the condom and I was completely unerect after like 20 seconds from whiskey dick.

So yeah, exercises or at least practice moves to know that Im going to do it right next time?
>>
>>39854805
Tell them you cant get hard without a condom.

I literally couldnt so I just started saying that in college. Girls will still fuck at that point, guaranteed.

I have HPV now but it only affects girls :)
>>
Is there a website that I can buy empty protein tubs in the US? I bought an 11lb bag from MyProtein and want to keep some in a big tub
>>
>>39854805
Lol how bout you ask the other person who is there with you
>>
>>39854839
hmm ill try next time that

>>39854859
it happened like a month ago, although im guaranteed a gf in about 2 weeks time
>>
>>39852262 anyone?
>>
>>39854875
Listen you misogynist piece of shit, doing what >>39854839 might be tantamount to rape in some places, and you might even have to pay child support. There's a reddit forum for stuff like this, and how to have better sex in general. It kind of depends how far you're willing to go and what kind of positions you want, particularly ones where you pick her up or if you want to just throw her around a little. The most common ones I hear in general are planks, pushups and situps, with different variations, and kegels although for a different reason. also skim some of this thread, particularly 3/4 way through. https://desuarchive.org/fit/thread/39387910/#q39387910

Another piece of advice would be to try different condoms.
>>
Where would you work Weighted dips into Coolcicada's PPL? Replace flat bench and go for 6-8 reps? Also, if you replace barbell movements like incline with dumbbells, would you move to something like an 8-10 rep range or would staying 5-6 work?
>>
Are squats really a meme? I can't tell by the way you people talk about them
>>
>>39847589
If someone can answer this or point me in the right direction at least i will be very impressed.

What exactly determines newb gains? Im talking about the rate. Is it down to muscular/neural adaptation or is it just gow much of your pure old genetic potential you have met?

Could i for instance, lift at below maintenance, having never lifted before, and then after 2 years of no gains, experience newb gains by just increasing my food intake?
>>
>>39847589
newbie, started going to gym 3 weeks ago. following SS.
Still doing squats and bench with barbell only (no weights)

My problem is I get too fatigued after exercise. The next day, I can't do anything. Lethargic and exhausted.

I have had a very sedentary lifestyle which I am trying to change, but december was off for me. Next month, when I resume my job, I will probably quit gym again. Any supplements which may help my recovery?
I do drink 2 scoops of protein shake post workout.
>>
Didn't see a routine general so this thread will have to do. Recently got a pair of adjustable dumbbells so now I can do more than just the main barbell stuff. I just have no idea how to program. These are the exercises I plan on doing:

Squat
Deadlift
OHP
Bench
Incline DB Bench
Chest Flies
Pull Ups
Dips
Chin Ups
Dumbell Press
Lateral Raise
Front Raise
Curls
Tricep Ext

Any ideas? My goals are basically to get some gains in my delts and chest and slow down the gains in my legs.

happy new year guys
>>
Anyone ever do weightlifting two-a-days? Thinking about doing upper body in morning and lower body at night 5x a week until I start getting into heavier weights.
>>
>>39857056

It can be done, but it's ridiculously time-inefficient for the benefit it provides. Especially in beginners.
>>
>>39857063
Oh too bad, I thought it would get me back up to where I used to be more quickly.
>>
Guys, I scored a korean chicks number off tinder in like 4 replies, and she agreed to go on a date, where do I take her? What do i do on the date to not fuck up?

I'm autistic and have never actually gone on a date in my life, what do
>>
>>39857012
Lift for strength only if you want less leg gains.
Not that Im a fitness expert, but thats my understanding.
>>
>>39854350
Pls someone
>>
>>39857690
Take her to korean BBQ.

Order the most expensive set of Wagyu/Kobe beef cuts and tell her that she can cook it for both of you because she's '>gookin' (actually say this, she will laugh out loud)
Don't forget to pick up at least 3-4 completely out of context korean words before you go on the date, phrases like 'thank you' 'Happy new year' or 'Please no dog'

it's also a good idea to show your alpha prowess by chowing down at least 3 bowls of their spiciest kimchi, and then chugging two bottles of korean rice wine in front of her.

By the way, its completely the custom in Korea for the girl to pay for the meal on the first date, so you probably shouldn't even bring your wallet. Good luck anon, you little nofapping retart
>>
>>39854350
Do PHUL
>>
If 2 people were 5'9 and one had long arms and the other had shorter arms, would the guy with shorter arms have bigger ones by width?
>>
>>39858634
But the real question is why would anyone care?
>>
>>39858616
Why
>>
>>39858711
PHUL is a 4 day program which fits the time availability where as PPL would have to be altered.
>>
File: chicken little.jpg (19KB, 640x631px) Image search: [Google]
chicken little.jpg
19KB, 640x631px
Theoretically, how long would it take for an amateur to reach 1/2/3/4 on a program like SL or SS?
>>
File: 65164786735.jpg (49KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
65164786735.jpg
49KB, 655x527px
How much is gym membership for you guys?
>>
>>39858980

There's no way of really knowing. Too many factors involved - starting weight, diet, effort, previous training, proportions, plain old genetics and so on. Some people don't reach those numbers on SS, some people blow right by them without ever slowing down.
>>
>>39858996
20€/month for my normie gym
85€/year for my powerlifting/olympic weightlifting gym
>>
>>39858830
Is there a /fit/ approved phul routine?
The one on bb.com seems a bit low volume imo
>>39858996
20 bux
>>
Say, never been interested in the nofap meme, but will it help perhaps to make me hard more easy, or will something else help.
>>
How do I know when to cut? People say "cut when you start looking fat" but I already had high BF% (skinnyfat) when I started my bulk so I'm starting to look fat already but I'm only 160lbs (~5'10.5") so far ..
>>
I train in my garage but it's getting pretty cold because winter. Any advice?
>>
>>39859391
wear a hoodie or get an electric heater to put in the corner.
>>39859380
Cut now if you think you look fat already, if you do it right you can loose fat and still put on muscle if your fairly new to lifting.
>>
>>39859405
>Cut now if you think you look fat already
Just worried about cutting when my weight is already avg/below avg since I feel I'd have to lose a lot to see any visible progress. My original plan was to go to at least 175lbs before cutting but I'm not too sure I want to look any fatter. I might put on a few more lbs and cut down to skellington mode (135-140lbs) and just start from there.
>>
>>39858996
50 euro a month, I could probably build a home gym with 3 months membership lol.
>>
>>39858996
About $170 AUD for 3 months.

Pretty good considering I get access to a fairly well equipped gym, a swimming pool and free classes. Have yet to use the classes, but I'm thinking of trying out yoga.
>>
What do you think of Zyzz's routine, a 4-day bodypart split with a fullbody workout.
Chest Bi's / Legs Calves / Back / Shoulders Tri's / rest / Fullbody / rest - repeat?
Bodypart splits lack frequency. Both frequency for protein synthesis and frequency on compound lifts. Wouldnt this be the "solution" for someone natty who wants to do a bodypart split but still "fix" the problems with it?
>>
File: 1482122533023.jpg (83KB, 760x700px) Image search: [Google]
1482122533023.jpg
83KB, 760x700px
I've been reading that PPL routines suck for natty lifters, any truth to this? Or is it just a meme
>>
>>39859901
Why would they?
>>
>>39859923
Why would they...?
>>
>>39860020
WHY would they?
>>
>>39859923
I don't know the specifics but I've just read that in a few places. So it's bullshit?
>>
>>39860033
"just read that"
are you even trying?
>>
>>39860061
Not really desu. Can u just spoon feed me babe?
>>
>>39860073
I'll give you the best answer ever that you'll hate 100%. Find out what works for you. Fucking used to hate that answer but now I realize that's reality.
>>
>>39859901
PPL sucks for natties and juicers alike senpai.
>>
>>39860094
Makes sense... Trial and error it is I guess.

>>39860095
Why ?
>>
File: printer.jpg (37KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
printer.jpg
37KB, 640x627px
What's the difference between the Oly Platform and the Power Rack?

I only ever see people doing deadlifts and squats on the Oly Platform, occasionally rows, all of which are as easy or easier in the power rack or anywhere on the floor.

What am I missing? Is it just pretension?
>>
>>39857012
Read the sticky. Most important thing you can do as a noob is pick something simple with few movements. Arnolds Golden Six was perfect for me because I had no idea what the fuck I was doing and because it's similar to SS (increases strength ultra fast) but simpler and far easier to add to and take with you, I literally just did the same 6 exercises for 9 months and it's the reason I moved so quickly and consistently.

If in doubt focus on compounds. Don't worry about accessories until you need to.
>>
File: IMG_0869.jpg (62KB, 620x645px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0869.jpg
62KB, 620x645px
Financial gains related question brehs....

tl;dr

>have 15k in student loans a that need to be paid off, at 5.2%apr
>I own a truck that I can sell to a dealership for $18,000
>I'm tempted to sell my tundra, pay off my loans, and use remainder for down payment for a new truck at 0%apr financing for 5 months

I'll be debt free then with exception of a new truck, but the truck is 0% apr

Pls respond
>>
>>39858980
>Theoretically, how long would it take for an amateur to reach 1/2/3/4 on a program like SL or SS?
Theoretically you would never reach 1/2/3/4 on SS because it's a 6 month program, unless you're ultra fast or juiced.

I've been on Arnies Golden Six and it took me 10 months to reach 3 pl8 squat and likely would've taken me the same or less time to reach 1/2/3/4 on other lifts had I been doing them as much.

1/2/3/4 within a year is a realistic challenge for most noobs.
>>
>>39860282
>5 years
>>
So I've been told overhead press is bad for your shoulder tendons, but literally the only other shoulder exercises that aren't presses are front and lateral raises

What do? I'm under the impression that it's best to do 3-4 different exercises for that muscle group the day you're working it, but 2 would be a good start
>>
>>39859494
>5'10
>160lb

I'm 5'8 and 83kg and only slightly too fat. You're probably very underweight or about right but without knowing your bodyfat and definition it's guesswork. Work on building muscle either way.

>ust worried about cutting when my weight is already avg/below avg since I feel I'd have to lose a lot to see any visible progress
Reinforces what I thought: you're probably way underdeveloped. What are your lifts?
>>
Is there any disadvantage using regular bar vs a olympic bar beside needing to put more weight to compensate?
>>
>>39860282
When finances are concerned, always think and prioritise long term.

Whichever works out cheapest for you in the future.

>>39860309
>So I've been told overhead press is bad for your shoulder tendons
It isn't. Learn proper form.

>literally the only other shoulder exercises that aren't presses are front and lateral raises
You're an idiot.

>What do?
Learn good form and how the hook of the scapula works and why rotary cuff problems happen. Learn good form and don't be an idiot.
>>
File: 1457544694580.jpg (61KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1457544694580.jpg
61KB, 640x640px
>>39847589
I haven't done power cleans since my SS days, and even then I usually just subbed them out for rows. I hate the fuckers.

Anyway, I'm doing an 80's bodybuilding routine for shit and gigs, but it involves power cleans.

Can somebody give me any anecdotes of what doing power cleans did for them body wise? Any reasons I should do them over subbing them out for something else? Any good, but simple, guides on form? More importantly, how much weight should I be pulling with them (in relation to other lifts) and how do I avoid looking like an autist in the gym?

Plz help /fit/
>>
>>39860338
>You're an idiot

Then name one that's not a press or a cable lateral or rear deltoid, big guy.
>>
>>39860361
Shoulder Exercises Using a Barbell
Upright Row
Seated Military Press
Standing Military Press
Standing Military Press Behind Neck
Front Deltoid Raise to Vertical
Prone Rear Deltoid Raise
Push Press

Shoulder Exercises Using Dumbbells
Shoulder Press (Standing with Palms-In)
Shoulder Press (Seated with Back Support and Palms-In)
Shoulder Press (Standing with Palms-In; Alternated)
Shoulder Press (Seated with Palms-In; Alternated)
Shoulder Press (Standing)
Shoulder Press (Seated)
Shoulder Press (Seated with Back Support)
Lateral Raise (Standing)
Deltoid Raise (Bent-Over Using One-Arm)
Lateral Raise (Seated)
Rear Deltoid Raise (Bent-Over)
Rear Deltoid Raise
Rear Deltoid Circle
Front Deltoid Raise with Arms Straight
Upright Row
Front Raise
Shoulder Shrug
Push Press
Rear Deltoid Row (Crouched)

Shoulder Exercises Using an Exercise Balls
Rear Deltoid Row on Ball
Rear Deltoid Raise with Elbows Bent on Ball
Rear Deltoid Raise while Lying Sideways on Ball
Scapular Protraction on Ball
Shoulder Rotation on Ball

Shoulder Exercises Using an Exercise Band
Band Front Deltoid Raise
Alternating Band Front Deltoid Raise
Band Lateral Deltoid Raise
One-Arm Band Lateral Deltoid Raise
Band Rear Deltoid Raise
Band Shoulder Press
Forward Band Shoulder Press
Internal Band Shoulder Rotation
External Band Shoulder Rotation
External Band Shoulder Rotation while Lying
Shoulder Exercises Using Gym Equipment
Upright Row on Low Pulley
Military Press
Lateral Deltoid Raise
Lateral Deltoid Raise on Low Pulley
Rear Deltoid Row on Low Pulley (Seated)

First result of google

+Plenty more
>>
>>39860374

Those are all presses and raises/laterals but okay. Where can I learn about scapula mechanics
>>
File: grip.png (21KB, 846x511px) Image search: [Google]
grip.png
21KB, 846x511px
I've just hit week 4 of Greyskull LP and am having a blast, already seeing gains.

Though my left wrist (I'm right handed) is feeling a bit of pain on bench press, how is my wrist meant to sit? Left or right picture?
>>
>>39860282
...you have a truck that has 18k value on trade-in and you're worrying about money...fuck off there are people here driving 2-4k trashcans that are in debt

That's not me though just saiyin that trade-in value is ridiculous
>>
>>39860349
I dont know your technique but most weightlifters usually go by that you should be able to clean around 80% of your frontsquat. So i guess around 70% of your frontsquat should be a powerclean.

Im sure you can just replace thjem with bent over rows and facepulls. Becuae the reason you do them is to get more explosive.
>>
Mass gainer before or after my lift? if after, then when do I take my protein shake? Right now Im thinking protein shake immediately after working out and then a mass gainer a few hours after?
pls help
>>
Hey, fit, asking for help.
Searching pics of gluetes training few days, some shit like "do you think you can ass" etc.
Anyone have that stuff?
>>
>>39860462
I'm driving a 2k shitcan and I'm in debt. Can confirm, we exist.
>>
>>39855569
what the fuck am i reading?
>>
>>39858572
I kek'd a little until >retart and now I take back my kek
>>
>>39860410
literally just watch any rippetoe video for info on basic stuff like that.

Regardless, it's the right one, but not exactly. The bar should be resting diagonally across your hand so that the bar rests perpendicular to your vertical wrist.
>>
>>39860775
I think I've been doing it right, just literally my left wrist feels a bit sore, probably because I've never really used my left arm for shit all. Need to work on being a bit more ambidextrous.
>>
my mom's diabeetus machine says I'm 4.7
is that good?
>>
>>39860876

fine
>>
>>39860876
>4,7
u ded
>>
File: 20170101_120353.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170101_120353.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>39847589
Should I keep cutting? trying to get out of skinnyfat
>>
>>39860885
good
I pissed on a ketostick and it turned purple
afraid my pancreas was starting to fail

I'm convinced it will, but not today at least
>>
>>39860901
This ones tricky. You shouldn't cut for too long so if you're at the 16 week mark I'd say lean bulking, 200-400 kcal surplus.
>>
>>39860908

ketostix are wank, dehydration throws them off, ketone utilisation throws them off

get weird fasting + post-prandial BG readings, go see your GP. You'll get an hba1c test for something more definitive.

but seriously don't worry
>>
>>39860410
Which one have you been doing? Meant to be more like the right. Let the bar sit in the heel of your palm, right over your forearm.
>>
>>39861000
Checked

Also yeah the one on the right but because of the soreness I've tried a few different positions, I know the bar should be parallel with the wrist but I don't know why it's hurting. Lifting the weight is easy and I progress every workout but the wrist discomfort is getting worse every time I load more weight on, even though my arms take it fine.
>>
How do I go about finding my true 1 rep maxes?

Let's say I test one weight, feel I can go higher, and keep repeating until I fail the 1 rep. Won't the previous attempts lower my ability to lift my actual 1rm?
>>
>>39851970
if you have to think about where you are putting your hands you are autistic
>>
>>39847844
Go do something fun and adventurous.

Maybe take her rock climbing?
>>
>>39861106
No, that isn't how the human body works.
Your body is essentially a gun. When the gun fires it automatically reloads. Guns don't have rest periods or time between reps. I can deadlift 350lbs even after deadlifting all the way from 10lbs, with 2lb intervals and do 1 rep. If I come in with no previous stuff and go straight to 350lbs, I can still do 1 rep.
Don't worry.
>>
>>39861042
I'm no bench expert but kind of sounds like you just have weak wrists if your arms are fine with the weight.
>>
>>39861181
Also I fap like I've downed a tub of viagra daily, so my right wrist is probably way stronger than it has any right being.
>>
File: sardiner.jpg (17KB, 480x439px) Image search: [Google]
sardiner.jpg
17KB, 480x439px
Is it OK to eat 4 cans of sardines (in sunflowerseed oil) a day?
18g of protons a can for $1 = 54g for $4, and I weigh about 140 lbs 6'0. I wanna escape auschwitz by march

The sardines in olive oil cost 4$ and I can't afford that, I rinse the fish before eating anyway or drizzle it over salads
>>
>>39860257
Bump
>>
>>39861449
18g * 4 = 72g my bad my brain is starved for healthy fats obviously
>>
>>39860901
>>39860908

>Should I keep cutting? trying to get out of skinnyfat
You should lift and bulk at or close to maintenance. You have no muscle or definition at all.
>This ones tricky.
It isn't tricky at all. You should do whatever gets you there fastest, and in this case that's bulking close to maintenance because he's clearly barely lifting.
>>
>>39861449
That much saturated fat isn't great for you but if you're at a deficit then go for it.

Ideally buy them in brine, it's cheaper and healthier/easier to rinse.
>>
Depends on your goals. Wanna be an oly lifter? No. Wanna be a bodybuilder? Yes.

I prefer using barbells whenever possible. They are able to increase in tiny weight jumps whereas unless you have access to adjustable dumbbells and tiny plates, you can't progress as easily. Also in my experience the weight folk can move on a barbell is more than the dumbbells and heavier weights are better for most purposes.

You can't replace squats or deadlifts though. You'll probably have a hard time building decent leg size and strength without them.
>>
>>39861501
I don't think they have it in brine at my local grocery store but I'll check if I can buy it in bulk from outta town, thanks
>>
File: 1350183386891.jpg (103KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1350183386891.jpg
103KB, 800x900px
I did several rounds of p90x in undergrad, got huge
Switched to some mens fitness workout for grad school, maintained
Went back home, people are telling me I look like I deflated

I don't have time for my undergrad routine and I think it has too much cardio, is there a routine available online that is not retarded like "do box jumps on leg day xD xD, no squats this week!! XDXD"
>>
>>39861449
all oils are same shit. refined oils are just as bad for you as butter. Eat som variety and get more frozen veggies and berries. eat less fish
>>
I have cut my finger on Friday pretty deep and I needed to get to the ambulance to stitch it. Now I'm having a bandage. Can I go to the gym tomorrow if it doesn't hurt anymore? I don't want to miss more sessions.
>>
>>39861592
But you also don't want to rip any stitches. Go light until after they come out.
>>
I've been low bar squatting since the start (which hasn't been too long) and was thinking of switching to high bar. It seems like you're less likely to injure yourself with high bar (correct me if I'm wrong) and also I don't feel comfortable doing a thumbless grip and low bar squats seem more likely to put stress onto my hands if gripped like that as you're supporting the bar with them whereas it's mostly resting on your shoulders with highbar. Also, from what I've read there isn't a big difference between the two in terms of muscle recruitment and it just seems like a more natural movement.

Anyway, those are the reasons I was thinking of switching. Should I do it? If so how much should I deload?
>>
>>39861541
What ya goals?

Texas method (on it now, it's great for mass and strength if you program it properly)
>>
>>39861592
How did you do that
>>
>>39861772

Mass/muscle size. I want to look like I work out when wearing clothes
>>
Will the gym be packed today? I need to go like in an hour or two. My hope is that there will be some new year people miring me.
>>
>>39861720
The muscle recruitment is different. High bar requires a more upright torso than low bar which results in more quad emphasis and less lumbar involvement. Switch to high bar and you'll notice it immediately.

Tbh I don't know which is better because the coaches etc from whom I learn shit are divided on it, so I take that as a sign that the differences between the two are not make or break. However bear in mind that if you're on SS or something that requires low bar specifically, switching to high bar might halt progress early. same goes for oly lifting. It's conclusive that high bar is better there.

Hope I helped.
>>
>>39861795
Yeah TM will do it for you but do the split version. Also PHAT, PHUL, push pull legs, upper lower split, and similar. Bulk clean on all of these. When it's time to cut I can't advise and am actually on the lookout for a routine for that myself.
>>
Thoughts on replacing pendlay rows with inverted rows on olympic rings? I want good rom but pendlay rows are not as controlled as I'd want.
>>
>>39861106
Sets of one are so unfatiguing that you can bust out a lot of them and find a 1RM give or take 2lbs or something. Just rest as long as you need to.
>>
Besides coffee / pills, other recommended ways I can get caffiene?
>>
>>39861989
Diet coke, tea, green tea
>>
>>39861989
Teas, chocolate, and literally anything you add caffeine to
>>
File: 1477224822238.jpg (696KB, 2007x1304px) Image search: [Google]
1477224822238.jpg
696KB, 2007x1304px
How big can I grow my lats from unweighted pullups alone?
>>
>>39860325
Usual they're skinnier which will probably go some way to making things harder. Deads and OHP in particular.
>>
>>39861787
The cut? Well, I tried to get plates out of the cupboard and eventually they fell out. I tried to stop them from falling and unfortunately, I rammed my finger into a broken plate.
>>
>>39862083
this big:
|--------------------------------------------------------|
>>
Doing SL5x5

I don't understand Mehdi's shit about switching to 3x5 after two deloads

can someone explain this shit pls?
>>
1. Is fasting more harmful than helpful after a binge? Ate approx. 3k calories over maint. on NYE so I just fasted today. It wasn't even difficult, I still don't feel hungry. Just wondering whether it's bad to go on like 30 hour fasts.

2. When is the most and least busiest time at the gym? At your gym, is 7-9pm busy?
>>
>>39861890
thanks m8
>>
>>39862199
I cut my finger a year ago and couldn't do any pulls for about 4 months, pushes for 6 weeks. I was messing around with my mates kukri, cutting up boxes and shit. Went to stab one and since it had no hilt my hand just slid down the blade. Then my friend persuaded me to immerse it in a glass of vodka and salt.
>>
>>39861592
give it a week at least. muscle doesn't really start going away until 3 weeks inactivity, though your pump might.

if you rip your stitches out or injure it more, it'll be more weeks off. rest mang
>>
>>39862515
Well, I instantly drove to the hospital and it doesn't hurt anymore. I hope I can lift heavy asap
>>39862782
Ok, I'll give it some time. Though, I'm going to feel like a lazy ass especially when I have holidays now.
>>
What are some good vegan sources of protein that can replace meat in a meal? I'm already eating loads of rice, oats, quinoa, veg, fruit and nuts. considering giving in and eating chicken but i'd rather not
>>
>>39863105
soy protein powder

rice/pea protein powder
>>
>>39847589
can you do calf raises with the barbell in your hands instead of your back?
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.