[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fitbits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

What does /fit/ think of Fitbits? I got one for Xmas (Charge 2) and am not sure what to make of it. I do a lot of rowing on a concept 2 erg and the heart rate during that exercise is not accurate at all. My finger sensor will often say 145ish, while the Fitbit says anywhere from 110-145. It has trouble getting a signal during rowing. I already ordered a Polar H7 chest belt to use with the rower as that should be far more accurate.

So just makes me wonder if the other benefits are 'worth it' or not. I don't really care about step count. It's kinda interesting to see resting heart rate (apparently mine is like 50-52ish). I'm not sure how well it does at tracking sleep.

I already log all my food, and I think the Fitbit app has a superior UI to MyFitnessPal, but both accomplish the same thing.

Really the thing for me, is I kinda just can't stand wearing shit on my wrist. I've always hated wearing watches/jewelry. And just having this thing on for the past couple days is starting to drive me insane.

I hate having to return gifts, makes me feel bad because I know they put some time and effort and money into getting me something they thought I'd like, but I kinda just want the simplicity of not tracking my every freaking movement (oh and by the way, I got about 400 steps on it last night just from jerking off). I think I'd be much happier with the Polar and just using it while I'm rowing. And not having to wear this shit on my wrist.
>>
>>39811330
Personally think they are aimed at the general population moreso than fit people. For us 10k steps really isn't a big deal/make any difference as we need more for cardio.

I'm the same re jewelry/stuff on my arm/neck/fingers... Hate it.

In regards the accuracy of the heart rate, I found with my old Polar chest strap that sometimes a bit of water/sweat made it pick up the rate much quicker and not drop out (~7 years back, maybe the tech is better now) so perhaps similar thing for wrist? Ensure it is fitted well, has solid contact where it measures. Also test it on multiple sources, who's to say the rowing maching isn't out and the fitbit is fine?

Hard call in regards returning... If you flat out won't use it makes more sense, but I get not wanting to seem ungrateful.

FWIW my gf uses a fitbit (HR charge? something like that) and likes it, heart rate always within about 5 of anything we've checked it against and helpful for calories burned during exercise such as squash/strength work. Suits her goals but sounds like perhaps might not be what you need.

/blogpost/my2cents
>>
>>39811392

Yeah, I mean honestly I'm more general population than fit. I'm just losing weight and found something I enjoy a lot in rowing.

Regarding the polar, in the instructions it says to moisten the belt before use. From what I understand, the polar uses electrodes to measure the heart beat, and is supposedly nearly as accurate as an EKG. A fitbit on the other, uses an optical laser pulse going through your wrist that measures blood flow and figures heart rate based on that. So I would think the polar would be much more accurate. It'll be delivered to me tomorrow, so I'll be anxious to test it out and compare to the Fitbit.

Yeah I'm just really on the fence about it. Anywho, thanks for the insight / reply anon.
>>
>>39811668
If you're just generally trying to lose weight can certainly be a good indicator of your general activity. Sort of like calories, I think most people have no real idea of how little they actually move for office jobs, so seeing your step count at like 1500 after work can help motivate you to get walking/gym to make sure every day has some activity.

Good luck with deciding mate.
>>
>>39811330
Dumb
If you need Fitness wearables then just get a miband instead of getting jewed.
>>
Solid idea and product. Bad price for what's basically a flashy heartrate monitor.
>>
>>39811330
Aside from seeing blood pressure it useless.

Spend a paycheck and get yourself a nice automatic
>>
>>39811330
Got my mom a Garmin Vivofit 3. Seems pretty basic but better than others. Records steps, sleep, vibrates when you've been sedentary for a while, sets daily goals, and it's water proof.
>>
>>39811330

The heart rate isn't accurate at all.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/23/study-shows-fitbit-trackers-highly-inaccurate.html

An ECG was used for reference, "Comparative results from rest and exercise, including jump rope, treadmills, outdoor jogging and stair climbing, showed that the Fitbit devices miscalculated heart rates by up to 20 beats per minute on average during more intensive workouts."

Go for the Polar; your heart and wrist will thank you.
>>
>>39812337

Yeah this mirrors my own experience using it on a rowing erg. I dunno if it just gets moved around so doesn't get a good 'signal' or if measuring blood flow through the wrist during exercise is inherently not accurate, but either way same result: not accurate.
>>
File: 1460426071570.jpg (119KB, 800x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1460426071570.jpg
119KB, 800x1150px
Just got the probe it's really great
>>
>>39813743
can this double as a squat plug?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.