[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ICF 5x5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (96KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
96KB, 1920x1080px
What do you guys think about Jason Blaha's ICF 5x5 program as a beginner basically? Anyone have any experience with it? Not falling for the stronglifts no upper body meme.
>>
I switched from a brosplit with much focus on arms and always 12 reps to Blahas program.
I am currently 1 month in and i made more gains then i made in the last 5 months or so
>>
>>39794334
I started with PPL and I got some basic strength but haven't changed much physically to be honest.
>>
>>39794294
It's a mediocre program with too much accessory exercises

Basically you'll do okay on it as a beginner but it could be so much better
>>
>>39794294

Just look at blaha as the posterboy for it.

he takes steroids and does that routine. wana look like him?
>>
I follow his novice program during my transformation
https://content.tigerfitness.com/transformation-tyler-fleming/
>>
File: PhraksGSLPVariant.png (47KB, 547x465px) Image search: [Google]
PhraksGSLPVariant.png
47KB, 547x465px
>>39794294
He's a meme and so is his routine. Do something simple with minimal accessory work like pic related.
>>
>>39794651

Blaha does fuck all except juice and talk shite on the internet
His program isn't too bad but it needs more accessory work to develop a good physique

Add drop sets and variations to icf and it gets far better
>>
>>39794690

I wouldn't advise such a low rep setup for novices for the fact that they're gonna be training themselves to lift and using the sort of weight for 5 reps on a set while new to the movements is asking for an injury

Once you've got the movements nailed down you can do 5x5
>>
One person says too much accessories and another says not enough?? I know I sound like a jackass as a beginner but my goal is aesthetics. So should adding accessories be alright then?
>>
>>39794976
no you'll definitely overtrain. I'd recommend doing starting strength, but only two days a week for optimal recovery. something like AxxxBxx. I've seen better gains doing it this way, and the people I reccomend this to IRL usually do as well.
>>
>>39795006

>take a strength program
>reduce the frequency
>Aesthetics

Miring that glue bulk hard bro

If you wanna get strong lift as heavy as you can in low reps and across a few lifts
If you want aesthetics you're gonna want to cause microtears across the whole muscle expanse and to cause the fascia to grow - hence dialling up the frequency of lifting, volume of reps and accessory lifts

SS is a strength program not an aesthetics one
>>
>>39794732
Please, I started with 3x5 and was fine. You start out low enough and make small enough jumps to get down your form. Squatting is not rocket science.
>>
>>39794732
True that.

I increased my squat 70 lbs in 2 month and ended up with a SI back injury.
>>
>>39795006
Thats stupid You could even drop the 2 day rest in weekends and add a few isolation exercises without any problems
>>
>>39795069
there is a version of SS with a fourth set with 8 reps for more volume and muscle growth. Apply the last fourth set to only upper body lifts and add 1 chest iso and 1 bicep isolation.
Then it will be good for aesthetics.
>>
>>39794976
The thing is that training for aesthetics and training for strength aren't completely removed from each other as people think. If you're new to lifting, you're gonna gain muscle, even if doing starting strength. The thing is that getting strong will help you gain large amounts of muscle mass. Mass moves mas. As a newbie, you adapt to stress much quicker so you gain strength session by session. This will end, eventually.

Now, the typical suggestion is to do a beginner routine for 3-4 months then move onto an intermediate strength program. Since you're not getting a PR every workout and the fact that you're now strong enough to move respectable weight, you can spend time doing more bodybuilding type movements as accessories or doing things like bench or press at hypertrophy rep ranges.
>>
>>39795249
>ended up with a SI back injury.

Thats because you used incorrect technique.
>>
>>39795249
And I went from a 95 lb squat to a 275 lb squat in 3 months and didn't hurt anything because I made form a priority over egolifting.
>>
>>39794976
>>39794976
Do some strength program for a few weeks/months before hopping on a high frequency high volume PPL.

I recommend you to do 5/3/1 for beginners just as Jim Wendler preaches here: https://forums.t-nation.com/t/5-3-1-beginner-template-assistance-exercises/212834/6 . If you can't do dips, do triceps extensions; if you can't do pull-ups, try pulldowns. Add curls, facepulls and lateral raises 1x per week each, minimum 50 reps total.

Being frank with you,I wish I had done this when I first got into lifting. It's more manageable for beginners than the usual low reps/high intensity/shitty form advised on forums. It's way way better to progress than PPL/brosplit/isolates-only routine given by gym instructors.

Last but not least, as a beginner you will see gains in any routine, but its very linked to your diet and commitment.
>>
>>39795262
Yea I understand that a good strength base is needed. Just trying to get the most out of my beginner growth.
>>
>routine by roidin youtuber
or
>routine by coach/gym owner
Kind of surprises me how stupid you guys are
>>
>>39795263

Which was the whole point

Once you've ingrained the technique then go nuts
But learning to squat using heavy weights at low reps is a recipe for trouble
We all know theory is fine, but you have too find and correct your own errors as you learn
Best not making those errors with 80-90% of orm on your back
>>
>>39795260
>>39794976

Do this:
A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5 + 4th set with 8 reps
Power clean or pendlay rows
Chin ups 4xF

B
Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5 + 4th set with 8 reps
DL 1x5
Cable or DB flies 3x8-12
Curls 3x8-12

weeks looking like this:
AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

This will even it more out and the fourth set increase the volume quite a bit, even though it doesnt seem much.
>>
>>39795286
Feel free to do SOME accessory work like hammer curls or skullcrushers if you're worried about arms, or throw in some dips or close grip bench for chest. Just don't let it detract from getting strong as fuck.
>>
>>39795314
The whole point of beginner programs is to only add weight when the technique is good.
Thats why you start with the bar. YOu never start at 80-90% of your max.
>>
>>39795293

>routine by coach/gym owner

Powerlifting coach/ gym owner

Mark rippetoe is great for learning the movements, but he is fundamentally a strength coach
SS will ramp up your poundage on bp, squat and dl, but it's not built on makig you aesthetic
>>
>>39795325

In theory
But what's your newbie gonna do once he realises he's getting stronger?
He's gonna get excited and add weight to the bar, especially if he's young
I'd prefer they learn the movements and the difference between good and bad pain at an instinctual level before they start playing at linear progression
>>
>>39794976
pro tip: no one has any idea what the fuck they're talking about.

as long as you use good form, you're not going to injure yourself by doing accessory exercises. worst case scenario is that you're just wasting your time. if you want to do them, do them.
>>
NO BEGINNER PROGRAM WILL MAKE YOU AESTHETIC, YOU NEED TO BE AN INTERMEDIATE AT LEAST TO EVEN LEAVE DYEL MODE
>>
>>39794294

This is literally SS/SL, which is a copycat of Reg Parks 5x5, with accessory work, which just how 99% of people running SS/SL anyway, so it makes sense to just put it in the program.

>>39794976

>my goal is aesthetics

Then you should just get on tren and stop fucking around with diet/exercise bullshit and do the only thing that matters, steroids.
>>
>>39795414
I get that, looking for the best way to get to intermediate level.
>>
>>39795428

T. Guy that legitimately does not lift and simply posts on fit and lookism about how ugly he is
>>
Itt: bunch of fucking retards with a sub 225 bench trying to argue what thr best program is LMFAO die pussies die. C you at my gym in the new year LMFAO faggots!!!!!!!!@@@@@!!
>>
>>39795447

Lifting for 10+ years

You'll learn the truth after you finish your first year of lifting
>>
>>39794712

How does he juice and still look completely average though? Does he just not work out ever or eat like total garbage?
>>
>>39794294

>5 years to get anywhere

thats a bit generous jason youve been trying for longer than that
>>
>>39795481

Get your test levels checked

Or you are not eating a good diet

Or you are not lifting with 0 intensity

Or you have dysmorphia and you actually look pretty good
>>
>>39795428

>get on tren to look good

Utter bullshit
If you arent looking to compete in bb/strength or generally going for a roided physique there's no reason to fuck about with your hormones and shave years off your life with roids
They have legit uses - being too lazy to lift and diet isnt one of them
>>
>>39795503

Yes and yes
It's hollywood - he probs gets his roids dropped off with his coke
>>
>>39795551
After 5 years of doing ICF you can be as autistic as "Hemmingway" Blaha.

That is an accomplishment of sorts.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.