[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Machine scrub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: blog-lesson-from-barbell-main.jpg (2MB, 2808x1872px) Image search: [Google]
blog-lesson-from-barbell-main.jpg
2MB, 2808x1872px
So I'm pretty much a noob at the gym, but at least I'm trying. I was just wondering whats going to happen if I continue to only use machines for my exercise routine.

I know a lot of people say all you need to do are a few basic barbell exercises and you'll be good, and that's what my previous routine consisted of when I was working out at home. Well, I didn't really have the proper equipment needed to progress properly, so I finally joined a gym.

Well, now I'm actually a bit intimidated to hit the real weights and have found myself comfortable only using machines. But desu they seem to be doing the job I need them to. The thing is, I'm not looking to bodybuild persay, mainly just tone. I'm currently 6 ft 140 lb at ~8% bf and my goal is really only to reach a healthy 160-170 lb while maintaining a slim athletic build. Also being in fair shape at the moment I also plan on taking up a martial art soon.

My current routine consists of an every other day full body workout. Trying to name some machines off the top of my head I believe I'm using
-fixed pulldown
-tricep extension
-seated row
-chest press
-leg curl and extension
-calf raises (which I have noticed is fucking up my back, I believe there's a seated alternative)
Plus 2 ab machines I can't name

Like I said I'm pretty happy with the results so far I'm just wondering what could be missing and what I'm not getting enough of.
>>
>mainly just tone
That term doesnt mean what you think it means
Just read the fucking sticky please
>>
>>39776703
I've seen some good arguments for using machines for hypertrophy not strength. Look for video on it.
Thing I remember:
>Very slow controlled reps
>>
>>39776703
READ
>>
>>39776703

Machines can leave you with underdeveloped stabilising muscles. This could lead to 1. A higher chance of injury and 2. An imbalanced physique if you focus too much on isolation (single muscle) exercises.

Compound barbell exercises work because they train a large amount of muscles gradually.

And your list is definitely missing shoulder work.
>>
>>39776703

skim through the book STARTING STRENGTH by MARK RIPPETOE

Don't read the whole thing and bore yourself, look at the programming and form for each lift. When you have a question, refer back to it. Machines are meant to assist your movement of elbow flexion, hip extension, etc and not substitute as a main means of growing your bodies strength
>>
>>39776760
Noted

So perhaps I will work up the courage to go lift with the big guys and get back into my old routine which was

-squat
-overhead press
-bench press
-stiff leg deadlift
-barbell rows
Plus 2 more I can't remember

So basically stronglifts 5x5 but I was doing 2x10 and each exercise 3x a week. How's that look?
>>
>>39776927

Sounds good. To be honest, Starting Strength and StrongLifts both totally work as beginner routines as long as you keep adding weight.
Tweaking the amount of reps is up to you but I'd imagine it's gonna be tough to both progress in weight AND bang out 10 reps with proper form. I've anyways been more of a 4x8 fan.
>>
Really, you just need to get over being intimidated by the free weights.

I was the same way at first. I was a fatty just starting out. I just hung out and did my gym's stupid little timed machine circuit thing for awhile. Now I belong to a different gym that has a much better free weight section. I hardly ever touch a machine anymore.
>>
>>39776971
Actually I found what I was using which is Allpro's beginner routine found here
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Which consists of some 4x8s and 2x8s going up in reps weekly

Really I'm just looking for something simple like this because it can be pretty overwhelming trying to learn a bunch of fancy exercises straight away. That even further gets complicated by number of sets and weight, etc.

That's something I don't like about even this is how it wants you to do 10% less weight on the second day of the week and 20% less the third. It really complicates things.

One question I've also got about 3x a week routines, would it be bad to skip the 2 day rest and just continue every other day if possible? Probably a stupid question
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.