[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mental Gains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12

File: epictetus.jpg (16KB, 500x261px) Image search: [Google]
epictetus.jpg
16KB, 500x261px
How do I become stoic?
How do conquer addiction?
How do I clear my mind and discover my potential?
How does meditation work and how is it useful?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rSmxsVHPE
>>
File: exist.jpg (526KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
exist.jpg
526KB, 2048x1366px
>>39762527

interesting video. anyone here actually try this?
>>
Wrong board, silly.
>>
File: 1480274791623.jpg (87KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1480274791623.jpg
87KB, 900x900px
>>39762513
>stoicism
>>
>>39762513
Literally the worst place to come to ask for serious mental health advice
>>
File: tmp_7314-Iceman-Quote70779623.jpg (319KB, 750x417px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7314-Iceman-Quote70779623.jpg
319KB, 750x417px
Stoicism is not easily attained, it requires you grab the reins of your emotions. Easier said than done.

I like it because I'm convinced women simply can't into it.

I also recommend you try the Wim Hof Method.
>>
>>39762513
Read some stoic books.

2 pronged attack: work to understand what underlying issue is causing addiction. Also, stop doing the addictive thing but aim to understand the feelings not doing it generates. Accept these feelings, in the sense you don't have to make the feelings go away.

Plan your day. Read (good) books. Avoid crap that fills your mind with distractions: avoid advertising. Avoid mass media.

You meditate. Over time it builds the strength of your mind and allows you to let go of distractions. Meditation works even though the religions it is connected to are (probably) not true.
>>
File: 1407533709134.png (625KB, 1200x1826px) Image search: [Google]
1407533709134.png
625KB, 1200x1826px
>>39762513

books to read

Meditations of marcus aurelius
Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
the intelligence paradox- Satoshi Kanazawa
>mostly to figure out there's no grand conspiracy of men, Jews, blacks
>blows SJW's and /POL/s theory's of (social idea) mankind out the window
Ego and His Own - Max Stirner
>>
>>39762869
Why did you like anti fragile? The Meditations however are fantastic
>>
File: 1474931949046.jpg (53KB, 382x467px) Image search: [Google]
1474931949046.jpg
53KB, 382x467px
>>39762869
nice spooks
>>
>>39762895
I noticed that too. Taleb is a charlatan.
>>
>>39762806
end yourself
>>
File: 1477022434757s.jpg (7KB, 198x250px) Image search: [Google]
1477022434757s.jpg
7KB, 198x250px
>>39762895
meditations was fantastic, wish I was able to find it in a pocket book so I can read it whenever.

>>39762898

haha, great post my property.

>>39762869
>>39762908

whether or not he's a charlatan. basically the ability to understand there's only going to be a yes or no and most of the time the "no" isn't going to kill you, so who cares if you get them.

but yes Taleb and his writings on GMOs is a big no thanks.

also if you want to add on a few books

The Intelligent investor - something gram
securities analysts

if you notice pretty much every great investor is a stoic or philosopher in their own way.
>>
>>39762946
You can listen to it free with the LibriVox app
>>
>>39762513
>be Roman emperor or slave
>>
bamp for interest

but not interested in stoicism or any of that supernatural bullshit

just give me something that werks. i don't want to engage in pseudophilosophy
>>
>>39762869
>people always posting Memeditations

Enchiridion >>>>>meditations
>>
File: beginners guide to meditation.jpg (2MB, 518x3648px) Image search: [Google]
beginners guide to meditation.jpg
2MB, 518x3648px
>>39762513
Meditation is one of the best things I've ever started doing.

>>39762527
This video is a little wild and a little too far on the spiritual side for me, but this /fit/ guide is pretty gewd.

It really has a fixed a lot of problems for me.
>Used to be an angry guy and would get furious at little issues
>Patient and clearheaded now
>Used to have super ADD
>As long as I keep the routine together I have very sharp focus
>Used to go in and out of depressive states a lot
>Again, as long as I keep the routine up
>Seriously keep that fucking routine up
>Just like when you're lifting and you can't skip or you'll never leave humanity
>For as long as I've kept the habit down I've been very stable and happy
>>
>>39763046
Agreed
Meditations is a great starter book, but it has no great moral essays and was never composed to be read by others

Here's another good starter essay by Seneca: https://tripinsurancestore.com/4/on-the-shortness-of-life.pdf
It's a lot more complex than random journal entries, but still easy to understand philosophy. Enchiridion is fucking awesome
>>
Good thread
>>
>>39763491
I'm still not really convinced that meditation is worth it. Everyone who advocates it seems to have something a little wrong in their head, and they always speak of the benefits of meditation in these really vague terms. It's not like physical fitness where you can eventually see and feel the gains, and you know exactly what you're working towards. I think meditation advocates would do better for their cause if they quit bullshitting around and just told you exactly what you're getting into if you decide to start meditating. None of this spiritual voodoo enlightenment whatever stuff. Just tell me the tangible benefits.
>>
>>39763868
Read the post that you replied to. In it is a list of tangible benefits like you requested.
>>
File: 1438970101368.jpg (370KB, 2022x1658px) Image search: [Google]
1438970101368.jpg
370KB, 2022x1658px
We need more threads like this
BUMP!
>>
File: FV2Qp.jpg (69KB, 461x639px) Image search: [Google]
FV2Qp.jpg
69KB, 461x639px
Meditation is the shit, literally the super compound lift of mental fitness. Don't waste your time with isolation exercises (self-help books, singlular habits) but develop the core strength base of your entire mind.

The reason a lot of people's descriptions of benefits seem vague is probably because it's hard to describe such a holistic strength. Imagine you are in traffic, and get cut off by a landwhale in a prius. You would get mad, annoyed. Now imagine if the same happened, but you were able to see the emotion coming and dismiss it, knowing it doesn't benefit you.. and instead of having the next hour ruined by anger, you go right back to planning your life gains.
>>
>>39763491
Nice
>>
>>39763868
If you want the science behind meditation, it physically increases the grey matter in your pre-frontal cortex of your brain. This section is responsible for executive functioning, meaning long term decision making. It also strengthens memory and activates various other parts of your brain, as well as increases the communication between different areas of your brain. It literally gives you mental gains.
>>
>>39762513
>How do I become stoic?
learn the stoic principles. Train to apply 'em to your worldview.
>How do conquer addiction?
Addictions are a result of inadequate social encounters, especially in the childhood. It is a process that substitutes the love and respect from others with substances or other brain hormones extracting activities that act as if you are loved. Understanding that may help... Unfortunately, it appears that you have to be in an environment that is loving or fulfilling to substitute back to "normal" brain kicks.
>How do I clear my mind and discover my potential?
Eat clean. Succeed. Do your thing.
>How does meditation work and how is it useful?
Like all the self-centered techniques it works only if it is with resonance with the outer world... So if it useful at all it will be because you make yourself more in line with the outer world by adjusting your inner world...
We are all gonna make it brah.
>>
File: 27694569-512-k510675.jpg (41KB, 512x800px) Image search: [Google]
27694569-512-k510675.jpg
41KB, 512x800px
>mental gains
>>
Mental health is just as if not more important as physical health, wish I started this shit years ago.
Headspace.com changed my life, good luck brahs
>>
>>39763037
Epic stupidity: the post.
>>
>>39762513

Ive got some mental gains for you right here *flexes*
>>
Isn't stoicism Vulcan mode?
>>
Addiction is not some HUGE obstacle that you need to conquer. Addicts make it that way because they are addicts, and they have themselves and others convinced.

Once you realize that it is no more complicated than deciding not to be addicted to something and acting accordingly, you will be free.
>>
>>39762513
You're a fucking idiot for asking that on a board with constant >muhfeelz >tfwnogf board. Hell, even this site in general.
>>
>>39764977
Did you pay for the subscription?
>>
>>39762513
Nice thread, lots of good readings.
I recommend Mindfullness in plain english, as other anon said. It tells you why your life is shit and how meditation may help understanding why is shit, and by understanding you set yourself free from suffering. Also address how to meditate, what to do with distractions and how to get the most of it. Pretty good book imho for an introduction to meditation.
>>
I recently finished reading Stoner by John E. Williams. I highly recommend it if you are looking to stoicism appplied irl
>>
>>39766433
lol please enlighten us all to your many experiences with addicts and addiction itself.
>>
>>39767187
He's got a point. Sometimes it takes a catalyst for people to realize that they should give up their addiction or substance of choice, but it really is a decision made by the individual to quit and sustained by his/her willpower.
>>
File: tiggered.jpg (36KB, 600x785px) Image search: [Google]
tiggered.jpg
36KB, 600x785px
>>39767187
>>
>>39767385
You're also fighting your brain chemistry which has been altered by your DOC. The brain of an addict literally prioritizes the DOC over living. Anyone who says addiction is easy to overcome has never experienced addiction or known an addict.
>>
>>39767415
I never said it was easy.

I was addicted to Meth, Amphetamine, Ecstasy, Weed, Cigarettes, etc, I quit all of them on my own, and I was an addict, I've been up for 10 days straight on speed.
>>
>>39764375
> Imagine you are in traffic, and get cut off by a landwhale in a prius. You would get mad, annoyed. Now imagine if the same happened, but you were able to see the emotion coming and dismiss it, knowing it doesn't benefit you.. and instead of having the next hour ruined by anger, you go right back to planning your life gains.

This tbqh.
>>
>>39767992
Yes, meditation cultivates space between your thoughts, emotions, and reactions, giving you time to mediate your decisions much more efficiently than regularly.

After a significant time of meditation, practitioners will reach a state of mind that I like to call the "blank canvas", where the mind is literally blank without thought or emotion, and upon this blankness lies a canvas where inner creativity can flow unhindered. This alone is worth the effort to meditate, in my opinion.
>>
www.dhamma.org

A 10 day Vipassana retreat would be a good start, OP
>>
>>39768037
I'm going camping tmrw and will try to meditate for the first time. Any pointers?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.