[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOW TO GET BACK INTO LIFTING AFTER INJURY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1464268940524.png (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1464268940524.png
7KB, 225x225px
/fit/, I loved weight lifting. Starting from 14 when I got my first vinyl set from a second hand store, to late 17 when I was involved in a serious car crash. Healing process was slow, but I was adamant to get back lifting asap. 6-8 months recovery, and I was more-or-less back in the gym, with restrictions but I had will.

Over the course of the next 3 years, my body started pushing back. I'd lift for 3-6 weeks, then hit a wall and progress would reverse... hard. I'd have to stop for 2-3 weeks. Then the start up again, each time losing more and more willpower and morale.

This is year 4 since my accident. There are some things I simply cannot do anymore, but that's besides the point, because I could be doing much much better.

I'm struggling /fit/, I need lifting in my life the way it was before. I've been reset to square one so many times I want to cry. I'm asking how you overcame an injury or major event that took you out of the groove, and how you got back in.
>>
Just DO IT
>>
Proper physical therapy
>>
>>39759442
you're right. I've just gotta believe it'll come back. The pump, the rush, sweating feeling so elevated. Until you get acclimated those things aren't really present, I miss it so much
>>
>>39759235

Dude I know what you mean about the 2-3 weeks thing. I tore my hip flexor and about a year later I was able to start working out, but it took me about another 6 months to figure out how to get past that 3-6 week burst thing.

Even though I was never actually in pain, even from doing squats, I still just ended up hitting that wall.

Start lower than you think you should and progress more slowly than you think you should. That's what got me back into it.

Think of it like a 2-3 month PT period where you're just re-acclimating your body to weight training.

I'm at week ~16 or so, I had to take a week off for final exams 3 weeks ago but hey thats 1 week off 15 on, even if I'm not pushing too hard.
>>
>>39760744
Ok dude thanks for the advice. I didn't know what the hell was going on. Doesn't help that my best friend and lifting bro split up because of life, tough to find that intensity.

I definitely have unrealistic expectations, like my strength deep down is still there but can't harness it. I've dreamed of 500lbs deadlift for years, been so... fucking.. close, even post-accident I reach 485. I'll try to slow it down.

Its REALLY hard to gauge my work capacity, body and mind not in sync you know.
>>
>>39760766
slow and steady bro
>>
>>39759235
Lol just give up m8, better things in life than killing yourself lifting. Switch to being based at a different sport like muay thai or climbing or cycling xx
>>
>>39760852
bruh, NOTHING is better than lifting...
>>
What kind of injuries do you have? Is it your back, legs, shoulders?
>>
>>39760857
It is if you can actually progress in it and reach superhuman levels. We all have real life personal limitations, dont spin your wheels there - go work on your strengths.
>>
>>39760866
I have "damage" in my right hip from a femur break, that leg is about 1/4 inch shorter as a result and the 'groove' in terms of squat/deadlift for my legs is asymmetrical. I can work around it for the most part unless I let inflammation build up over several weeks.

The more problematic ones are my shoulders, both to similar degrees but in different ways, rear joint ligament tears that didn't heal after the 3 year period. Military press with elbows in is still somewhat do-able, but db press, flat barbell bench, incline bench, nearly all pressing movements are severely restricted. Some movements like military or pushup I can find a safe groove, but it can easily 'slip'.

Other one is my elbow, the one arm was shattered (humerus) and I have a plate, 9 nails 2 screws in my upper arm. The edge of plate aggravates my tricep tendons and can get 'hooked' on the plate. Damage to the tissue in the joint. Movements like barbell curl can be excruciating, but I can get by doing a standing dumbell curl slightly cross body.

Back is still healthy, legs can get by, shoulders and elbow is my biggest issue
>>
>>39761128
Mate... Honestly with that much shit going on. weightlifting, where form is essential, is probably not for you. I would try to get physical exercise from something like >>39760852 suggested.

And this is coming from a guy with multiple pins in his left foot and a bad back. I've learnt to work out around my issues, but you have more serious issues with ALL of your limbs.

I would recommend swimming, it's a great rehabilitation sport. I still do it because it is great cardio with low impact for my foot and back.
Rock climbing is probably good for you because different leg lengths do not matter and you didn't mention any pain issues with pulling movements.
>>
>>39761253
It's just that nothing else gave me confidence like lifting did. Not only confidence but sense of wellbeing I haven't found in another physical pursuit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.