[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been doing a calisthenics workout for over six months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: a138-1024x575.jpg (204KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
a138-1024x575.jpg
204KB, 1024x575px
So I've been doing a calisthenics workout for over six months now and I don't feel like I'm gaining the way I should.

I know my diet could be better (I don't think I eat enough; I'm 5'8'' and 130 lbs), but I think another issue I'm having is that I'm not working out *enough*.

I originally was told that I should always have a rest day between sessions, which means I'd only be working out 3 days a week. I spoke recently to a friend who is getting her degree in Athletic Training and she told me I should work out every day, with one day a week for rest.

So basically, how often should I be doing my body-weight workouts?
>>
>>39748303
How many days you work out depends on your routine. Either you're simplifying what your friend said, or she doesn't know what she's talking about, despite her degree.

If you're doing a fullbody calisthenics routine, you need a day of rest between sessions. If you're doing some kind of split, you can work out two days in a row.

What is your routine and how much are you eating? If you're still 130lbs, it doesn't sound like you're eating nearly enough.
>>
>>39748342

Most days I doubt I get 1500 calories. I have difficulty eating large amounts of food (I feel like I'm forcing myself otherwise), and I doubt eating smaller amounts of high-calorie food would be healthy.

My workout consists of chin ups, some basic shoulder work with weights (handstands make my head swim), pushups, straight leg raises, short bridges, and squats. I usually do two circuits of this, three days a week.

So my workout seems okay, but the diet not so much?
>>
Oh boy. First off, are you doing a routine like that pic? If so, stop. Something like that is only really good as cardio. Assuming you're trying to get stronger and put on some muscle, you need to have progressive overload. This means that workouts get harder gradually by adding weight or reps(to a point). With bodyweight, this concept can be tricky to implement, which is why most people recommend weights. If you insist on doing bodyweight, look up some better programs that have some kind of progression. You can workout more than every other day, but don't do high rep full body calisthenics everyday or you might be headed for tendonitis. If you decide to do weights then just read the fucking sticky
>>
>>39748390
What are your goals?
>>
>>39748403

OP here; I'm not doing what's in the picture per se, but I'm doing bodyweight instead of weight lifting because 1) I lack the equipment, and 2) my goal is to get cut. I'm naturally a small, thin guy. I think my best bet is cutting rather than gaining mass.
>>
>>39748421

Be healthier, look better. I'm border-line emaciated looking.
>>
>>39748427
And what exactly is cut? Are you saying you're trying to gain muscle, but you don't want to gain muscle? do you really not have access to a local gym?
>>
>>39749046

I want to gain muscle, but I don't want to bulk. I want to be lean. "Ottermode" I've heard it called.

Yes, I do have local gyms, but I live on a budget as it is, and I don't handle social situations very well. Imagining working out in a public place makes me sick.
>>
>>39748303
5'8 and 130 sounds like skeleton to me..

Did you even read some proper bodyweight books or are you just going from some shitty routine found online? Most of those routines have no idea of proper progression system.
>>
>>39749102

My main resource when I built my current workout regimen was Convict Conditioning. It seems /fit/ has a split opinion on it.
>>
>>39749093
>oh no i accidentally became to big
>wat do
jesus christ op nobody gets "big" by accident, this is an insult to every hardworking lifter who spends years exercising to become whatever they want, then some dipshit faggot like you comes and claims he "doesnt want to become too big" by training five days a week and quitting on jan 3rd
>>
>>39749127

No, you misunderstand. My body type (ectomorph) wouldn't really allow me to get big. It isn't that I don't want it, it's that I don't think it's possible.

Thankfully, I'd rather be lean and lithe than big and bulky.
>>
File: Startbodyweight.jpg (2MB, 2481x6600px) Image search: [Google]
Startbodyweight.jpg
2MB, 2481x6600px
>>39748390
Your routine seems very suboptimal for gaining any significant amount of mass. You'd be better off following pic related instead. Just sub the handstand stuff for your weights.

When you say you want to get cut, I assume you mean ripped. For that, you need muscle mass, and you won't gain muscle mass unless you eat enough. 1500 calories a day is not nearly enough. You really do need to force yourself to eat.
>>
>>39749142
somatypes arent real and your b8 is shit
>>
>>39748303
I hope the program you are doing isnt oic related
>>
>>39749142
>My body type (ectomorph) wouldn't really allow me to get big.
That's complete bullshit. Sorry, OP, but you're an idiot if you really believe that.
>>
>>39749121
Just read a proper book like Overcoming Gravity if you are serious about body weight and buy rings and a weighted vest.

This progression chart is pretty much from the book and will give you a small insight of what you can expect from it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19l4tVfdTJLheLMwZBYqcw1oeEBPRh8mxngqrCz2YnVg/edit#gid=2032740838

As someone who read it and is doing ring exercises in addition to lifting I strongly recommend it. I learned more from the first few chapters that I ever did from anywhere.
>>
>>39749165

Thanks for the chart, I'll look through it.

I'm going to try to start eating more, even counting calories (and protein every day). From the things I've seen I need to eat at least 2500 calories every day to gain.
>>
>5'8" 130 lbs
>I want to cut
If you cut any more you can collaborate with Eugenia Cooney
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.