[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Behind the Neck Press

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Behind-the-Neck-Press-Arnold.jpg (78KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Behind-the-Neck-Press-Arnold.jpg
78KB, 620x349px
Pros/Cons. How to do it without Injuring my shoulder as they say, I like the exercise and I'd like to keep performing it. It doesn't cause me pain. Discuss.
>>
>>39739787
Why would you do this if you can just do OHP?
>>
>>39739787
Don't go too heavy?
Use a spotter?
Was this worth a thread?
>>
>>39739794
I do both(on different days), I wanna work back of shoulder as well.
>>
Limit max weight
Take a wider grip so that elbows are ~90 deg towards bottom
The bottom position is when your shoulders are most at risk
You can kind of bounce/catch it off/on your traps at the bottom with your legs (see Klokov BTN press)
Lots of people just limit their range of motion and stop at their neck (or at a 90 deg elbow angle)
>>
>>39739815
Do pendlay rows for the back of shoulder
>>
>>39739787
Listen to your body, it's not that hard.

>>39739794
Because it hits the lateral shoulder much better. It's the best for shoulder width and roundness. Front press is more taxing to the front delts and upper pecs.
>>
>>39739814
I think it merits a discussion, because there are so many differing opinions out there. we have these guys with "rational" arguments saying it's bad due to the inherent position we place ourselves in. Then there is the opinion that ALL the greats did it, hence, it's necessary and harmless.
>>
>>39739815
arent there more efficient ways to work the "back of the shoulder", actually isolating it, without purposely putting your shoulders in its most vulnerable position, risking injury?

Yes of course there are you fucking retard.
>>
>>39739815
Then do face pulls and bent over dumbbell raises
>>
>>39739839
>>39739837
yes I perform these as well. If thats the case, what advantage does the press offer that I can't attain from those isolation motions?
>>
>>39739845
umm idk, uhhh YOU DONT RISK WRECKING YOUR SHIT
>>
>>39739816
I go down untill my elbows almost touch my love handles. stopping earlier isn't suggested as much as completely ditching the exercise.
>>
>>39739850
what I meant was, is there an advantage to pressing instead?
>>
>>39739787

I fuckin love BTN press and push press. Just screw around with grip width and depth until it's comfortable. Push press is probably going to be uncomfortable until you get the motion down, cause if you miss high and it lands on your neck it hurts like a bitch. And you'll probably blast yourself in the back of the head a time or two.
>>
>>39739857

Just the usual benefits of doing a compound motion over an isolation, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.
>>
File: 1477431028086.png (360KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1477431028086.png
360KB, 500x322px
>>39739787
Cons:
>literally putting your shoulder in 2 most extreme and unnatural positions
>you gon fuck your shit up
Pros
>??????
>>
>>39739787
Compression in the shoulder doesnt happen suddenly. Its a long term build up that slowly causes the impingement and pain. If you get it bad you have to go get surgery ( they cut of a small piece of bone from the shoulder, giving more space for the muscle and ligaments )

dont fuck your shoulder, itll be one of the worst mistakes you can do
>>
No other shoulder exercise works the medial delt through such ROM as safely.

This is what people don't understand. If you try to target the medial delt with other exercises (lat raise, upright row, etc..) while getting as much ROM as BTN press allows, you are putting your shoulders in way more danger than you are with BTN press.
>>
File: image584125x.jpg (21KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
image584125x.jpg
21KB, 620x350px
so to summarize so far,
Pros:
>>39739828
>>39739895
>>39739911
Cons:
>>39739837
>>39739850
>>39739901
>>39739909
Alternatives:
>>39739825
>>39739839

Safety:
>>39739814
>>39739816
>>39739828
>>39739877

thanks /fit/
>>
>>39739961
being this autistic
are you going to categorise 'insults' as well?
>>
Almost every weightlifter do BTNP for shoulder development. If you don't feel any pain and can safely do full ROM I don't see why you shouldn't.

If it causes you pain, stay away from it.
>>
>>39739787
Just doesn't seem like it offers that much relative to the cost of slowly fucking your shoulder up permanently. What does the behind the neck press offer that isn't already being worked if you're doing all the essential compounds like the OHP, Bench, Pull/Chin up, Clean, Deadlift etc?

I sometimes see it used by Olympic lifters as an assistance exercise for the snatch which I don't get either.
>>
>>39740481
It makes sense for olympic lifters to practice the movement because they are under heavy load in almost the exact position when CJ'ing or snatching, but yeah for the average lifter, you arent getting much benefit out of it when weighed against chance of injury.
>>
>>39740514
There is no pressing in the snatch though, it seems to me you should really only need to train the lockout position(which you can get with overhead squats).
>>
>>39739787
well obviously stay at high and easy reps to prevent injury, and if your shoulders feel well you can reduce the injury risk even further if you just go down till your elbows are at 90° and your arms are a T, so take a grip as wide as your bench press grip and go down just below your head
>______
|__o__|
|
|
the barbell is a bit lower than the green line if you look at my ascii doodle
>>
>>39740582
ignore the 2 lower lines, they were meant to be the body and under the head
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.