[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 30

File: 1481794899679.png (284KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481794899679.png
284KB, 480x480px
I'm waiting hombre.
>>
>>39728593
currently i do my major leg exercises on the same day beeing squats and deadlifts. I know deadlifts are not solely for legs but it's a overall great compound movement.
Is it counter beneficial that i do the exercises on the same day or should i split them up for a better cause?

And i've stumbled upon having a slight pain in my sternoclavicular joint while doing weighted dips. The most i've heard is that people experience pain in their shoulders and such but i only have a slight discomfort in the joint. I don't feel any pain while doing dips whitout weight and i can easily do 3x15-20 so i should be strong enough to do weighted ones. Any idea what is wrong? ( i watch out for good form so this can't be the major problem here)

thx in advance
>>
Thinking of starting SS. Never lifted before. I have 0 strength.

Would I benefit from the book or I'd online material enough to get me through

I also have access to a trainer...

Just curious went to the book store apparently the book is out of print debating if it's worth going through the trouble of buying online
>>
>>39728593
any tips on fixing anterior pelvic tilt?
>>
>>39728757
Butterflies / splits
>>
>>39728750
The starting strength book is invaluable for learning form. Really a great book for learning how to do compound lifts

IMO grey skull lp is the best beginner program
>>
>>39728780
Looked it up that seems to be the online consensus

Honestly I picked SS because it was the first program I saw and i literally know nothing about lifting so I just needed something to get me in the gym something simple.
>>
File: 1481948498853.jpg (17KB, 500x747px) Image search: [Google]
1481948498853.jpg
17KB, 500x747px
Never got much feedback on this yesterday. Is my PPL routine alright? Specifically the exercise choices:

Push
Weighted Chest Dips 3x10-12
Incline DB bench press 3x10-12
Seated DB shoulder press 3x8-10
DB Side Lateral Raise 3x10-12
Shrugs 3x10-12

Pull
Barbell Rows 3x8-10
Weighted Pull Ups 3x8-10
DB Reverse Flies 3x10-12
Barbell Bicep Curls 4x10-12
Hammer Curls 3x10-12

Legs
Barbell Squats 4x8
DB Bulgarian Split Squats 3x10-12
Stiff-Legged Deadlift 3x8-10
DB Calf Raises 5x10-12

Pls respond guys.
>>
>>39728872
Bump
>>
File: 1481928681696.jpg (64KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481928681696.jpg
64KB, 1080x1080px
Thinking about doing tabata intervals of heavy slam balls as my main form of exercise.

Would this help me to develop an ottermode physique? What weight should I use?
>>
Only have 1 day I can lift next week and then I wont be able to lift till the 26th.
First time I'll be missing gym in months.

What should I do for my 1 day? Was thinking something like
>Deadlift to clean>clean to front squat>front squat to OHP
Just to get all my shit in so I don't feel worthless.
>>
>>39729174
what the fuck nigger?
>>
>>39728872
I'd replace the db reverse flies with face pulls
>>
I worked my way up to 2pl8 squat, stalled and deloaded.

Now I'm back on 95 kg and I've been stuck here for like 3 weeks and I can't get back to where I was.

What is going on here? Why is my squat going down? All my other lifts are still progressing.
>>
How did you get rid of your tennis elbow /fit/?
>>
Best excercise for rear delts?

I used to do face pulls religiously but the rope extension in my gym keeps going missing.
>>
>>39728750
>>39728780

If you only want to get generally strong and look good, yeah pick Greyskull.

But even if you do, buy SS the book. The amount of stuff you will learn from it will save you a LONG time learning it from somewhere else or on your own.
>>
>>39728872

IMO it lacks lower rep ranges. You could do 2 different PPL groups in one week:

monday push:
1) Weighted Chest Dips: 3x6-8 or flat bench press 3x5-7
2) OHP: 3x5-7 or Seated DB shoulder press 3x6-8
3) another exercise you want 3x8-12

tuesday pull:
1) Barbell Rows 3x5-7
2) Weighted Pull Ups 3x5-7
3) anycurls you want 3x8-12

wednesday legs
1) Barbell Squats 3x 5-7
2) conventional or sumo Deadlift 2x5-7
3) Lunges or Glute ham raises 3x8-12

and then thursday - friday -saturday the PPL you said, with sunday rest

The idea with this is that with the PPL on mond,tesd,wedn you go all out and go for strenght Personal Records (while maintening good form). These 3 days are lower on volume because you will be going heavier. And then on thursday to saturday you go higher reps (and less weight than moday - wednesday).

Be careful, on the heavy days don't do much volume, you have the higher rep days for that and by lifting heavier you tax way a lot your nervous system.

TLDR: go heavy beggining of the week and progress every week, once you get 7 reps on all 3 sets of the 5-7rep exercises, up the weight for next week and go for 3x7 again. Lower reps recruits easier strength and like this you will progress faster.
>>
>>39729333
-Not eating enough
-Not sleeping enough
-Poor form
-Mental strength

Try doing 2pl8 but do 1pl8+35+10. Might just be a mental barrier.
That's what happened with my 2pl8 bench.
>I can never do 2pl8!
>working up to it
>accidentally put 35 and a 10
>bust it out
all mental.
>>
>>39729246

don't worry man, take it as a deload week. When you go back you will be able to retake your progress better than ever

>>39729174
If you want ottermode: lift heavy weights every week while trying to make them heavier every time with good form. Nothing will give you muscle faster. And don't worry you will still need 1-2 years of doing it good to reach ottermode. But it is still the faster way (without counting roids, but if you go with roids you will still have to lift heavy)

>>39729333
It's impossible to know without knowing your squat form, nutrition, sleep and routine man. Give us more info it could be any of those
>>
>>39728750
Just download SS fæm
>>
I'm a fatass losing fat and I have to go to 3 christmas parties so I've been fasting all day and only eating at the parties, I'm still eating at a caloric deficit (barely but like 1800kcal) even though my macros are all fucked up for these 3 days, what's the impact on the body on getting all the calories in a short period of time? I figure it won't be able to absorb most of the nutrients does it also mean fats won't be processed too?
>>
>>39729409
Thanks for the thorough feedback man. I was wondering why in the original PPL of someone called coolcaida, why he even had 3x5 reps so I changed it but what you've said makes sense. Going to alter my routine to what you've said. Thanks a lot. Also just want to ask, is it okay to just stick to stiff legged Deadlift? Why in particular did you recommend conventional and sumo? Just to mix it up or?
>>
What is the deal with seeing Alan Thrall bashed on /fit/ all the time here?

He's advice is legit right?

He has a lot of in depth explanations about many lifts and it seems like hes objective and knows what hes talking about.
>>
>>39729342
DB reverse flies are good
>>
>>39729631

I don't want to get into too much detail, but i have to explain this first for you to understand about the deadlift. If you don't care about the explanation just jump to the TLDR.

For nattys the best way to get muscle is to focus on 4-6 compounds that work all your body and progress on them. If you progress on them, with the right nutrition and rest, you will be making lots of muscle.

Those compounds are usually: squat, deadlift, OHP, bench press, chinup/pullup, rows, dips. You don't have to focus on all of them, you just choose the ones you want and go heavy on them.

Now to answer your question: the stiff-legged deadlift is an amazing exercise for glutes, hamstring and lower back... because it is usually used as an ACCESORY movement of conventional or sumo deadlift, which are a way more natural movement to your body in which you can go pretty heavy while being safe (supposing good form).

Try doing stiff-leg DL heavy, your body will naturally cheat towards a conventional DL. What people usually do is go heavy on conventional/sumo, and if their glutes/hamies are weak: they will throw in stiff-leg DL to strength that part of the lift. But that is the point, strength the normal DL with an accesory.

And if you ask me which one to choose as main DL form: conventional or sumo. If you squat with a wide stance => conventional DL. If your prefered squat stance is rather narrow => sumo DL. This will give you a more even development of your lower body.

TLDR: the best thing for gainz is to go heavy on compounds, and going heavy on stiff-leg DL is dangerous and suboptimal, hence why i recommend you going heavy on conventional or sumo DL and, if you want to give extra volume to your glutes/hamstrings, ADD stiff-leg deadlifts. But they should be an accesory to your conv/sumo deadlift, your priority should be adding weight to your DL. (and to which one to choose if sumo or conventional for your normal progression: read paragraph above)
>>
>>39730234

his advice on form and general training for nattys (heavy compunds, sleep and eat) is among the best i see in youtube.

Why is he bashed on /fit/?

1)He is not aesthetic, and in a board full of insecure autists that seek the approval of all the normies and girls they weren't able to impress by lifting, he is not going to be respected. A lot of his advice is aimed at the powerlifting /strongman public, thus when these autists hear it they go "hurrrr he has no idea you are going to get fat like this!!!!" which is true, because that doesn't interfere with powerlifting/strongman goals generally.

2) Let's face it he is pretty cringey sometimes. Not that i care because his advice is toptier but he is anyway and that gives this cancerous board a reason to bash him to death.

His advice is really good, and his advice on form is just pure gold. I still recommend his how to squat video to pretty much everyone that wants to fix their squat. You just have to know that sometimes his goals and your goals might not be the same, and thus some of his advice might not apply to you or this board generally.
>>
>>39729473
>>39729473

It is usually not that healthy only having one huge ass meal on the day.

My general advice for anyone on the holidays would be what you are doing. On the family reunions let go and enjoy yourself and limit food during the rest of the day. But maybe try having a couple scoops of whey for breakfest and a banana or apple, basically protein and clean carbs with no fat. That will add a bit of calories yeah, but you not only want to loose fat but keep your muscle and fasting for almost all day to only have one huge ass meal doesn't do good to your hormones nor to your protein synthesis.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>39728750

Buy the book. It is less than $30 on Amazon. If you like Kindle or the Kindle app, you can get it for $10.

Read the entire thing. So many people think they are doing SS, but they end up missing something.

>Anon1: I did SS and it didn't do anything for my arms
>Anon 2: Did you do the Chin Ups?
>Anon 1: No
>Anon 2: ....
>>
>>39730524
Yeah, that's what I figured, it's not the best option but it's the lesser evil and since it only happen a few times in this part of the year it shouldn't be all that bad.
>>
Is there a male equivalent of girlswithmuscles? I'm looking for inspiration/model figures. A mixed website would be good too.
>>
>>39730507
Thank you.

>in a board full of insecure autists that seek the approval of all the normies and girls they weren't able to impress by lifting, he is not going to be respected.

Yeah figures. I had similar thoughts about this aswell.
>>
I did some dumbell bench press and overhead press today and I experienced some pain in my upper right back. is just bad form?
>>
doing the texas method but can't do power cleans or snatches since I'll hit the roof, I've swapped cleans with pendlay rows but what can I replace snatches with? high pulls or?
pls respond
>>
Due to no access to my weights until possibly Wednesday, should I replace my chest day with pushups, handstand pushups and bodyweight squats/lunges?
>>
>>39730567
Totally, that is what i actually do on holidays as well, but i try eating lots of veggies and protein or fruit during the day to diminish the bad sides of a gigantic meal

>>39730592
yes, stop doing them for a week until you can't feel that pain at all.
Then watch some videos of good form on youtube and try going SUPER light.

It may also be because of poor mobility or not enough warm up. When you do again light and don't feel any pain on your upper back, and also feel the correct muscles working (chest and shoulders) then you can start going heavier.

Seriously man, if you fuck your shit up you will take months to recover, if you go slowly you will only take a couple more weeks get /fit/

>>39730625
for chest? try looking for pushups and pushups variations that are harder. Your goal should be to struggle to do 7-10 reps of any pushup variation you choose. If you do 3 to 5 sets of those you will feel your chest burning i promise.

Handstand pushups are more of a shoulder exercise, but be careful you could hurt yourself with those if you aren't strong enough or a skelly.

>>39730606
Depends on your goals man, do you compete on any competition? Just want to get stronger? Just want to get aesthetic? 50/50?
>>
>>39730702
sorry forgot to specify, mainly want to just get stronger with aesthetics as a side
>>
>>39730719
Do you mean generally stronger, like an athlet? Or more towards powerlifting and bumping as much as possible your squat/bench/DL?
>>
>>39730741
more towards bumping my squat/bench/diddly laa
>>
>>39730780
Then yeah you don't have to worry about cleans and snatches. They are in the program mainly for general aethletic performance in the field.

But can't you do power cleans? I mean, you don't need to push the weight above your head like you do with a snatch.

Anyway, do you have access to a gym? Or do you train in a homegym?
>>
im 24, started lifting at 21
bulked from 139 to 160 in 7 or 8 months
bench went from 135 to 190 for 3x8
i then stopped lifting all together and drank alot of alcohol not insane amount except for a feek weeks out of the months for 4 months or so lol ( downing a bottle of jack in 4 days) but then id drink beer after my shitty job. i was depressed.
i got a better job and stopped drinking so much drank a few beers on weekends and MAYBE on the weekday.
i started working out again and went hard calculating cals and protons per body wieght for 5 months then stopped for about 4 months cause my RC hurt like a bitch and drank occasionaly on weekends. i started again in beginning of october and im back at counting cals and protons i dont intend to quit anymore unless injured and even then ill only take a month off im also watching my form alot more. im back at 190lbs for 3x8 i squat 2 pla8 for reps. its not that impressive but.. at 24 i think i started out kind of late.. i wish i ran into /fit/ when i was 17 so i could get disciplined better. my question is...
will i make it
will i reach my natty limit with my current stats at 24. or do people only reach their natty limit if they have perfect discipline since age 17 and no breaks. by what age/how long might my journey be if i ever get there. 35?
>>
What am I doing wrong to not grow areas of pic related?

I have been lifting for 5 years. I'm 147lbs 5'7"

Also general recommendations / hate, etc appreciated
>>
File: der.png (1MB, 700x1244px) Image search: [Google]
der.png
1MB, 700x1244px
>>39730988
oh here is pic related
>>
i'm in shape mostly except for my ass,its kinda too fat for the rest of my body
i run and cycle a fuck load but im not losing any weight,i dont eat like a pig either
what do?
does it need a specific set of exercise?
>>
>>39730988
>>39730995

well those areas have basically no muscle whatsoever (upper is basically the end of your upperpecs and lower zone are your lower abs) so.... you can't grow them a lot man.

For the upper i would suggest you adding 2-3 sets of incline DB bench press for 8-12 reps on your chest or push days. They work your upperchest like no other exercise.

For the lower zone i would suggest you hanging leg raises. Look for PROPER form on youtube, your legs should be TOTALLY straight when raising them. With abs: form>>>> weight or reps. Do them for 2-3 sets for 8-12 reps on your leg or deadlift day depending on the routine you follow.

If you are already doing this or similar then there is not much to it man, as i said there is just not enough muscle there to grow as much as other zones. And looking at your abs they seem pretty well developed as they are now, so you won't ever see much more if you don't reduce even more your body fat level. That would be the only other thing that would make it look better, but you wouldn't be adding any more size

>>39730911
wow man. Just chill ffs. Nobody ever reaches his genetical potential, you can get to a 99% but you will never reach it, so stop caring so much for it.

It's not about the end goal, but more about always going towards it, even little by little. That is what "making it" is all about, you will always be improving, always, but you would have made it when you stop caring about where you will be next week or year.

Who do admire? who do you look up to? Have they all reached their genetical potential? Of course not m8, they probably just know how to enjoy life where they are now, while they work hard to move one inch closer to their potential. They have "made it". It's just that simple
>>
Are earrings gay in the US I'm brown if that matters
>>
>>39731086
that still didnt answer my question, to ME making it is MAKING it. lol jk its getting somewhat close to natty potential. i look up to the made up version of me that made it 80% to his natty potential at 30. but it constantly changes. also my dads 5'5 230lbs manlet beef cake cop friend. hes huge.
>>
>>39731086

hey this is >>39730995

Yeah I do leg raises / db incline. I honestly feel DYEL so it shit like this that makes me want to get on roids. ( i never will tho)
>>
>>39730995
incline bench and ohp
>>
>>39731099
Some chicks like them but guys are all going to think you're retarded for wearing them.
>>
>>39730995
>5 Years
I've been lifting for 5 months and I could look better if you gave me a month to cut. What fucking program are you on?
>>
>>39731358

3x6 whatever the fuck i haven't done recently program
>>
>>39731358

I'll be the judge of that, lets see that dad bod
>>
>>39731396
Will take pics in 30 mins.
>>
You don't actually need a protein shake in order to get enough protein do you? I tried a protein shake and It tasted like shit.
>>
>>39731440
Try mixing it with milk instead of water. But no, as long as you get minimum 1g per KILO of bodyweight then you'll be fine.
>>
>>39731448
Thanks I'll give that shot. I haven't tried powder yet. It was a store bought shake that was chocolate.
>>
What do you do on rest days?

I don't have work today and Im bored out of my mind. I don't want to start stuffing my face out of boredom and I've been lurking here for like 5 hours.
>>
On a PPL routine does it matter whether you do it:

PPLPPLRest
LPPLPPRest

Etc does the order matter basically
>>
File: ss.png (254KB, 498x632px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
254KB, 498x632px
[Posting here too because we always have at least 2 of these up...]

Noob here, lifting for 3 months, started at couch potato mode.

Wtf do I do about assymetrical developement? My Squat sucks, but my Deads are pretty good and so are Chin-ups. Bench could be better, but it's going along OK...

My estimated one rep maxes according to symmetricstrength.com :

Back Squat: 72 kg - Untrained, not even close to Novice
Deadlift: 111 kg - Novice, but halfway to Intermediate
Bench Press: 65 kg - Novice
Overhead Press: 43 kg - Novice
Chin-up: 19 kg added (or 8 reps bodyweight) - Novice, about halfway to Intermediate

I'm a man, 6ft tall, 154lbs and 30 years old.
>>
What are some good fractional plates for my OHP? I'm sick of no progression at 65 lbs without them, I don't really need a whole set, probably just two 1.25 lb weights, or two 1.5 lb weights.

Most of the ones on Amazon seem low quality or have mixed reviews. The ones that aren't low quality are sets that have 1/8th plates that I will not use.
>>
>>39732193
Sleep for ultra-recovery
>>
best way to get rid of doms?

Had a tennis tournament yesterday and right forearm is still pretty sore, as well as legs, back etc

Already missed one workout today, don't want to wait an extra day as well
>>
Can I get some dumbbell exercises to look good shirtless, mainly chest? I'm skinnyfat right now trying to get into otter. Been doing a lot of cardio, OHP, dips and lateral raises. What else? Looking to get a pull up bar.
Is doing dumbell flyes on the floor a dumb idea? Floor presses, do those work?
Working out from home sucks.
>>
>>39733184
Planet fitness would be ok for you because you would only need machines
>>
Any side effects to ZMAs? Feeling a tad more anxious/nervous since I started taking them.
>>
I can't get bitches with loose skin and stretch scars, even if they're healed up so why even try to get swole?
>>
Trying to measure my bodyfat with calipers alone. Most sites seem to recommend the tricep and back as sites, but obviously I can't do those on my own. Should I just pick different sites and do a 3-site test?
>>
>>>39733197
>>
so, the biggest argument against a beginner doing 531 is that a beginner can increase weights every workout (3-4 times per week), while 531 only increases weight after each 3 week cycle (or 6 weeks alternatively)

what if I enjoy the program, and don't mind the slow progression?
will I "use up my gains" on this program or something, by going too slow?

I ask because I am still a novice on SL5x5, but I like the setup with 4 workouts on 531 better
and the %-based program looks fun
>>
File: smoosh.png (314KB, 594x274px) Image search: [Google]
smoosh.png
314KB, 594x274px
why are compound exercises often associated with low rep range and isolation exercises often associated with hypertrophy rep range? can I do SL but substitute all rep ranges for 4*10?
>>
>>39733724
you won't lose out on anything except for time, of which you only have a limited amount on this Earth, ergo
>>
My squat went down after i switched to lowbar. Does this just mean i have shit form?
>>
File: test.jpg (63KB, 1108x305px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
63KB, 1108x305px
can I get a body fat estimate? I'm 6'0 and 175 lbs.
>>
>>39734262
cause strength is more important for compounds and the point of isolations are hypertrophy
>>
Currently on my first cut, is there any point in doing cardio if I'm already at a 500 cal deficit?
>>
>>39734542
How much do you want to lose and how patient are you?

The more you cut each day, the less time it takes.
>>
>>39734408
thanks for rewording my question. question was why.
>>
>>39734598
I'd imagine the basic reasoning is that compound exercises distribute weight over multiple muscles, which allow them all to work together and resist more weight, whereas isolation exercises stress a single muscle group more than a compound which tears more fibers to get repaired, thus causing muscle growth.

It's why you see bodybuilders deadlifting 600 pounds but curling <100 lb dumbbells.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 384x384px
These things help with forearm strength and size? Should i get one or is it a meme?
>>
>>39734662
>These things help with forearm strength and size?
No, it helps with grip strength, which is already a meme because you can increase grip strength by hanging from a chin up bar.
>>
Fatty Here
What is the best TDEE calculator and macro calc online? I dont know my body fat %, trying to lose weight and lift.
>>
>>39734677
They aren't designed to replace any lifts, but to supplement them. Who wants to go hang from a pipe at work when they can just squeeze a grip trainer for 5-10 minutes every hour?
>>
>>39734851
Just squeezing those 5-10 minutes every hour is a dumb way to train grip. Train it like you would any other muscle. With sets, reps, rest and progressive overload.
>>
>>39734871
It's not dumb. It's supplemental. Grip is something isn't trained consistently when lifting. These help add additional action and muscle use.
>>
>>39734820
there is no "best" because your actual TDEE is surrounded by a bunch of variables. A TDEE is more of a calculated estimate. You have to find out what works best.

Personally I like tdeecalculator.net because it's simple. If you're trying to lose weight from fatty status keep your activity at sedentary.
>>
>>39734542
If you lose weight with a 500kcal deficit. Then keep doing it. Wait with cardio till you stall for some weeks
>>
>>39734910
Do you rec anything for macros?
>>
File: IMG_5017.jpg (122KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5017.jpg
122KB, 1328x747px
>>39732565
Hey bro. The answer is to squat more and dead less. Also some Accessoires for squats like the leg press. Good luck!
>>39733056
I know it sounds like a meme but you can use water bottles.
>>39733087
Train through Doms, go to a sauna, get a massage, also vitamins.
>>39734820
Go for scooby, it really is not that important to get a super accurate result, if you stall, less calories. Consistency is the most important

Have a cat
>>
>>39734945
thanks brother
>>
>>39734894
Then please explain why grip isnt like any other muscle and shouldnt be trained like any other muscle.

You dont see people do curls for 5-10 minutes every hour for stronger biceps. The muscles in the forearm is just like any other muscle. It needs heavy resistance with progressive overload, and rest. And its easy to train it consistently. Just do heavy db rows with some cheating, deadlifts, chin ups with a towel. Farmers walk, pinching weight plates. Etc.
>>
File: Untitled.png (21KB, 203x40px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
21KB, 203x40px
>>39734964
>>
Recommended squat form for someone with long femurs compared to torso/tibia? I find it to be my hardest lift to progress.
I'm 5'11" with a knee-to-top of hips length of roughly 24".
>>
>>39734918
35 protein 35 carbs 30 fat.
that's the usual recommendation.

Also, depending on your fatness, you can lose up to 2 pounds per week.
>>
>>39734974
that low of protein even if im lifting?

At what point would I change that
>>
>>39734973
Stretch your hips. Your squat will always suck, and depth will always be difficult. Get more range of motion in your hips so you can hit parallell. Make sure you arent going too far and round your lumbar spine.
>>
>>39734985
those are percentages, not grams.

You only need 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, and even that's debated as too much throughout the community. Especially as you being fat you likely don't need much at all to get the full effect,
>>
>>39734998
Thanks, /fit/bro.
>>
>>39735004
Oh......................Alright cool thanks dude.
>>
>>39735010
3 minutes of stretching every day is enough. Stretch hammies with a straight back. Just like a straight legged deadlift.

You may need to stretch calves too
>>
Lunges or Leg Press? Doing Front Squats earlier that day
>>
>>39734964
You're stupid. Grip can't be targeted as easily because it's supportive. Grip trainers focus only these muscles, while other lifts do not. See the difference?
>>
How any calories do you typically burn lifting?
>>
>>39735125
depends on session length and intensity can be anywhere from 150-500 depending entirely on the aforementioned.
>>
>>39735116
Any muscle in most situations are supportive. Stop being so dense. Simply holding a weight is direct work for grip. Just work them like a normal muscle, and do it at the end of your workout.

Grip/forearm is one of the easiest muscle group to train.
>>
Is Reg Park 5x5 any good for a beginner looking hair aesthetics? I've only been lifting about a week but I was jw
>>
>>39735271
Reg parks is good. SS with chin ups, chest iso, curls and lateral raises is good.
And add a fourth set on upperbody movements with less weight and more reps.
A lot of programs are good. Just make sure each muscle is trained 2-3 times a week with 10+ sets on each muscle during a week. Doesnt have too many exercises each workout, and focuses on compound movements with some isolation
>>
>>39735320
I've added some accessory work because I noticed some stuff wasn't getting worked much. I'm a complete noob tho. I added farmer walks, triceps extensions, incline bench, and shrugs
>>
asked in the last thread, but it archived before i got a straight answer.

I pulled something in my back yesterday (right below the shoulder stretching around the front to the bottom corner of my tit) while bending down to tie my boot. as of now it still hurts something terrible and i'm sure it will still hurt tomorrow.

The question is, how long do I wait before its safe to lift again? Do I wait till the pain is gone, or longer? I don't want to miss lift days, but I also don't want to fuck it up worse since ive spent 90% of the time lying on my back looking at the ceiling since it happened.
>>
>>39735513
If you want an accurate answer, ask a doctor. I'd say wait until the pain goes away and another 2 weeks minimum after that.
>>
>>39731099
Just make sure they are diamonds and they won't look AS trashy
>>
got wasted last night for a friends bday, but had a great workout yesterday. Does that completely negate any gain from the workout, or just lessen them?
>>
>>39735566
>2 weeks minimum

Next question, what do I do in the next two weeks if I can't do any lifts that use my back (every lift). Just eat at maintenance and some cardio? No chance on the doctor, I'm don't got the money.
>>
>>39735608
I'd honestly say just chill: Rent some movies, play a video game, read a book; Your back is nothing to fuck with, just accept the loss and be more careful in the future.
>>
File: R20.png (41KB, 691x458px) Image search: [Google]
R20.png
41KB, 691x458px
Thoughts on my routine?

I mean I know this isn't the appropriate thread for this but..yeah, sorry kek

It's pretty much modified Stronglifts, plus I do loads of accessories.
>>
whats the max amount i can train chest without overtraining?

Im planning on training chest 3 times a week for a while until it gets up to par for football workouts but im afraid it will do more harm than good.
>>
is barbell, rack and a bench enough for me to achieve aesthetics and size? what else I need to add?
>>
>>39735803
Weights
>>
>>39728593
inhuman?
>>
>>39734945
How would I manage that?
>>
How to get bigger calves?
>>
>>39736026
I meant to say "how would I manage that" in regards to using water bottles for my ohp
>>
can I get massive even if my test is 8.1nmol/lit?

I know I should get treated for low test but docs won't see me through public healthcare until Dec 2017.
>>
>>39736036
Run barefoot

>>39735630
Why?

>>39735701
Until you can't recover

>>39736038
Just use wrist weights.

>>39736144
No
>>
My gym only has like 2 barbells... and one bench that's turns into a squat rack. I go early in the morning. The second barbell is lighter and not even close to the weights.
I want to start doing barbell ohp and deadlifts but I feel rude hogging the only barbell.
Also why is the other barbell lighter what's it uses for?
>>
>>39728593
What is considered low carb?

I know the recommended 2000 calorie diet is around 300g and on weightlifting days I easily go over that. On non-lifting days, I've been aiming more around 200g recently, would that be considered low carb or not really? Like I know there are extreme low carb plans, like under 20g a day, but is 200g considered low?
>>
>>39736181
if you can, find another gym. 2 barbells isn't even enough for 5 lifters at once, let alone the usual crowd.

>>39736223
>300g of carbs
>is 200g low
what the fuck are you doing? 300g of carbs is a massive amount for a 200 calorie diet. You're telling me 60% of your diet is purely carbs? There's no way you're getting in enough protein or healthy fats at those levels.

No, 200g is absolutely not low. It's a little higher than average. Low carb is as you said, under 20g. It's what's necessary for ketosis which is the only advantage of low-carb diets.
>>
File: 1461241282405.png (69KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1461241282405.png
69KB, 225x225px
Can I get away with deadlifting at every workout?
>>
>>39736402
Depends on how much you deadlift. If it's not that much then it probably won't matter much... Just listen to your body and make sure to eat enough and get enough sleep.
>>
>>39736402
in the beginning. Once you start lifting heavy enough it'll be too much strain on your back to do it more than once every other session.
>>
>>39736384
You don't need as much protein as you think you need.

160g of protein is less than 700 kcal.
>>
>>39736470
So you only eat 17g of fat a day? No matter which way you look at that, those macro ratios are fucked anon.
>>
can you progress through SS when cutting from fatty status? I want to gain as much junior muscle as possible.
>>
Is cutting easier one you have gains?

I successfully cut 10lb when I was skinny fat but my body seemingly refused too get rid of my last belly fat. I just gave up and went full bulk and I'm intermediate going by symmetric strength.

I feel like it must be easier being on a 500 calorie deficit with a TDEE of 2700 compared to 1900 right?
>>
What are some ways to lessen the toll bulking takes on my anus? My anus is raw and it burns when I shit from having to take massive dumps 3x per day. I've had to give up spicy food cause it makes it hurt worse.
>>
>>39737107
Progressively overload your anus on a program like Starting Shits.
>>
I've been stuck at 115 kg deadlift for over a nonth. What fails is my grip, I do double over hand.
I just switched to hook grip and had no problens doing my 1x5 set.

When should i start to switch to hook grip? Is 115kg too early? At what weight did you switch to mixed/hook?

I'm 5'11 165
>>
If i wake up late and need to hit the gym 45 minutes later would a protein shake and a banana after I get up be a decent enough breakfast?
>>
Every exercise I do (pull ups, chins, pulldowns) my right side always feels more pumped HELP i only use dumbells except for deadlifts and squats
>>
>>39728750

All the usual critiques levelled against SS are apparently answered in the book. So get the book. But there are other starting programs too, I started out with Seam10mm's stripped 5x5 which is linked to in the sticky. Worked for me.

>>39728723
It is not counter beneficial. However once you reach heavy weights, and I'll let you determine what you consider heavy or not (but repping above 100kgs is probably getting there) I'd suggest you not lift as heavy as you can on both squat and deadlift.

Getting stronger is all about progressive overload of volume. But you can spread that volume out. You can spread it out across sets or workouts, it's up to you.

I do two leg days a week. On my first one, I lift heavy on squat. After that, I do lighter weights of romanian deadlifts. On the second leg day, I I start with lifting heavy deadlifts. After that, I finish it off with lighter sets (but high on reps) of squat.

Works for me. But in the end, listen to your body... If you're struggling to grow and perform, chances are you need to rest.
>>
I can't rotate my shoulders up enough to do the OHP with good form (they go up 70deg from horizontal, 80 at full stretch but that arches my back).

Should I keep doing OHP anyway, or switch to steep incline bench press until I've stretched it enough?
>>
I don't drink but my coworkers at my new job are always going out for drinks. I don't want to be that weird one that's like "I don't drink" as it's a new job and everything.

What do I say?
>>
What should I take into consideration when choosing a barbell length?
>>
I'm on SS, but I'm not really progressing fast; sleep and diet are good, I'm just not able to add weight anywhere near the recommended amount, especially on my triceps which don't seem to want to grow at all.

My muscles don't really get sore, so I'm thinking it's due to low volume; should I switch to 5x5? Or should I try forcing the weight on the bar, even if it leads to failure?
>>
>>39737797
Don't fold, go with them, a couple of times at least, but don't drink, buy cokes or some shit. If that's not good enough, get a weak drink (sweet cider if you can't really get the stuff down you) and drink really slowly. If they take you on a full-on sesh, get some water and snacks between drinks.

>>39737800
Just get the right size for your rack, as long as that's above 6 feet, you can't go wrong. Be wary of getting one too long for your rack; if the plates are going on over a foot from the hook on either side, the bar might tip.
>>
>>39728872

>push
Maybe it's because of preference, but I don't understand why you don't have a single pec heavy excercise. Both dips and Incline Bench target your triceps and deltoids more than a flat bench would. Replace the Incline if you want a better chest development.

Also, your lateral raises are kinda pointless because you've already worked your delts with your dips, bench and shoulde press. Why add another 3 sets of something that would be better off spent on your pecs or isolating your triceps? I'd replace them with flies of some sort.

>pull
You do 2 curls. If you have an EZ bar at hand, you can replace both of your curls with 3 or 4 sets of that. If you want to work your bracii muscle, add in machine row with a straight grip (palms facing each other)

>legs
No real advice except drop the calf raise and add something else that will give you a real excercise. Like KB swing.
Calf raises is for bodybuilders. Until you go into bodybuilding, don't worry about it. Adding on mass to your calves while natty is practically impossible because the calf is exposed to such intense volume every day in your normal life.
>>
>uni gym has no sit-up or hyper bench
>Doing Sean10mm's SS

what do?
>>
File: 1463937613913.jpg (59KB, 599x588px) Image search: [Google]
1463937613913.jpg
59KB, 599x588px
Could a 35yo 5'7 175lbs former fat fuck get into /fit/ ?
Considering i have 3 dorsal herniae .
>>
File: Johnny_Bravo_314.gif (14KB, 435x300px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny_Bravo_314.gif
14KB, 435x300px
I've been feeling very sleepy recently. Not necessarily tired or fatigued but just sleepy. Combined with an unexpected lack of appetite I'm starting to worry. Do I need to visit a doctor?
I worked out monday then skipped on wednesday for assignment deadline, then on thursday I was with friends and drank from early, friday was light hangover and saturday I lifted again.
Shouldn't have been enough of a break to mess with my appetite should it?
>>
>>39737311
Imo just switch to mixed/hook when you need it to progress weights dude.

But don't forget to work your grip regardless.
>>
Can I train fasted while on a bulk? I wake up at 8am, in the gym by 9am, and have my first meal at 11:30am. Will I lose muscle or not make as much gains.
>>
>>39737995
Your lifts will probably suffer from low blood sugar. Not sure about gains, I doubt it'd have a big impact.

Get a scoop of whey and a banana down you before the gym.
>>
>>39737995
Hard to say; best thing you could do if possible is try and have breakfast and lift a bit later for a week or two and see how it feels.

But there's nothing clearly bad about it; shouldn't affect your gains too much.
>>
>>39738005
Eating before makes me feel sick when lifting though, I just make sure to have an sugarfree energy drink before hand.
>>
>>39738013
Okay, thank you.
>>
>>39738018
Maybe get some glucose powder to mix in with the whey? Energy drinks are better than nothing (get one with sugar to get blood glucose levels up), but I'm always wary of what caffeine does to sleep.

>captcha: select all images of coffee
Google has a point here
>>
All shitty sip memes aside, are there legitimate health concerns with drinking those sugar free monsters? My gf and her family all ganged up on me yesterday about how bad they are and I didn't know what to say

>"anon drinks a monster every day!"
>"oh anon those are bad and they'll give you a stroke"
>B-but no beetus...
>"no anon. You'll die from them"
>my face when the first sip of the day tho...
>"you're not making any sense. I think he's having his stroke now!"
>>
>>39738041
Not really, they just aren't healthy either, and you could get the caffeine from coffee without all the added chemicals.

Also
>actually falling for a fucking meme
You're as dumb as the punks we got to microwave their iphones to charge them.
>>
18yo fat fuck here
Cant even bench 15kg total
Is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>39738146
In the same boat here except I'm a skeleton. From what I can figure it's underdeveloped triceps.

Been on SS with almost no gainz after 6 weeks, thinking of going to 5x5.
>>
>>39738178
I though ti tmight have something to do with my left rotator cuff. My Chiro says I got missing muscles there
>>
>>39737311
varies for everyone, I personally started using mixed at around 105kg, make sure you're doing double overhand for all of your warm up sets to challenge your grip, though. you don't wanna be doing mixed for all your sets, only your working set.
>>
>>39738222
>missing muscles

This can't be right. This condition have a name?
>>
>>39737863
yes, as long as you have the will.
>>
>>39737797
>caring what others think

never gonna make it. stick to your beliefs you faggot, or if you're a weak cunt, go drink.
>>
>>39738146
>>39738178
Use dumbbells if you can't do the bar

Don't worry about how much you can lift now. Worry about being consistent
>>
>>39737807
if you're not eating like a pig, chances are you're not going to progress as recommended, stop worrying about how others are progressing faster and just focus on your own progression. one last thing

are you actually trying your hardest? you need to be putting full effort into your lifts, if you're close to hitting 3x5 on a certain exercise, you can increase the weight and work from there. just make sure you're not increasing the weight if you're only getting 2 reps or something like that.
>>
>>39737995
I do this too, you should be fine, as long as you're feeling fine when lifting then you should be good to go. Obviously if you're starting to feel fatigued, then get something in you before you lift.
>>
>>39738326
Ah fuck soz my bad lemme explain it best I can remember "THe rotator cuff has 4 main msucles, you my friend only have 1 operational one since 2 are tiny as fuck and I dont even know how it can be that way and 1 is just damaged pretty badly" Cause its always my left shoulder I damaged due to hockey
>>
>>39738358
I hear ya; take the pressure off. Thanks.

Yeah, lifting to failure on all but squat and deadlift, which I'm progressing alright on. Are you saying I should increase the weight even if I fail in the last set?
>>
>>39738375
Then yeah, I'm gonna agree with >>39738348

Dumbbells let you start low. Take your time increasing the weight, keep it even so you don't develop one shoulder more, and be wary of injury; those muscles should grow and stretch, as should the damaged one.

Unless the doctor says you can't, you can.
>>
>>39738388
I oft-missed reps on my last bench set, but upped the weight the next time I benched anyway, did that a couple of times and I managed to work up to 5x5 over the course of about 3 workouts (on average), so chances are it'll work fine for you since you're still in the novice stage, that and patience.

It really doesn't hurt to try as long as you're being reasonable and not making big jumps and/or rushing your progression.
>>
Is it a good idea to run 10km now after drinking on fri and saturday or will my heart explode? I'm 25 years old and run around 7 km with ease a few times a week. My heartrate is still pretty fast and I generally feel passive. I want to run an errand which is 5 km away so thats the mininum I could run
>>
>>39738424
I've been scared of upping my bench after doing the roll of shame a few times, guess I shouldn't be taking the shame part too seriously. Thanks for this.
>>
>>39738399
Yea cheers bro had to quit gym cause no more job = no more money so ive only been doing pushups at home ( can only do 25 proper ones in a go) as well as resistance band for my shoulder so dw mate we all gonna make it one day
>>
>>39738441
Run there, see how you feel, can always walk back if the 5k does you in.
>>
Anyone willing to mentor a fatty (Ive got like heaps of questions that pop up randomly) over skype or something like somewhere I can leave PM's?
>>
>>39738451
It's fine to fail, you don't wanna be that guy you see at the gym benching the same 135 for years on end. Ideally you'd progress in a linear fashion without having to take measures like this, but that doesn't happen very often, if ever, good luck anon.
>>
Have not been to fit in around ... 2 years I would say.
What happened to the old drug thread general the one that would help you shred sorry I forgot the name but it was said to be used in explosives and fertilizers
>>
>>39738802
not sure if b8, but DNP
>>
>>39738903
Thank you /fit/izen
>>
>>39738693
>1pl8 squat
>1.25pl8 diddly
>0.5pl8 bench
>65kg lat pulldown

4 PRs in one day

ty anon, ty
>>
>>39728593
Suggestions for relatively cheap, but relatively high protein foods? Everybody seems to advise some sort of dairy, but I really can't eat or drink that much of the stuff without feeling sick.

Reddit literally tried to tell me that if I "just drink a few liters of milk a day plus some cream cheese it's easy!" so that reminds me why I stay away from them.
>>
I stopped using preworkout since I didn't really see much benefits aside from a tingling sensation.

But recently I've been unable to eat enough before workouts. Would preworkout actually give me enough energy to lift as if I'd eaten more during the day, or is it still just bullshit tingling that it gives you?
>>
recently started deadlifting. and i have my form down but i have no fucking idea when to incorporate this lift without working out longer than an hour or over working my legs or what rep range to do for "mass" i usually do 3x8.

i squat tuesday and thursday i really want to make gain in my diddly but i fear it will be too much on top of squat idk. what do you mass gainers do. should i do it on the days i squat too and get it over with or add it to wednesday and friday. some people on bb.dotcom say they only diddly heavy once a weak but i thought you were supposed to hit your muscle group twice a weak to grow?

advice?
>>
>>39739102
Well I hate to say it, but Reddit isn't wrong in advising dairy; milk proteins are some of the best, so if you can drink any amount of whey protein or whole milk, get it down you.

Plenty of alternatives though. Chicken breast is an obvious one, and basically all meats.

Eggs. Go to town on them.

Lentils and beans (not so much baked beans); if you learn to cook, these will take you a long way towards your goals.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but 8ch has this stickied: ssDOTfitness (replace DOT with .)

That has a shitload of dietary information, including a pretty good list of foods from each food group, and a planner thing. I can't really cook so I haven't made much use of it yet (I have milk and whey for most of my protein), but it's about as good a resource as you're gonna get.
>>
>>39739204
Turns out it wasn't ss.fitness that was hitting the spam filter it was 8ch**

Why the fuck has Goot filtered 8ch**?

Why isn't ss.fitness in our sticky?

Man, shit's fucked.
>>
>>39739221
We're not allowed to talk about the otherchan here because moot felt threatened by them and hiroshima has a grudge against the owner over some 2ch drama.
>>
>>39739173
What's your routine anon?

3x8 is too much no matter what, you're just getting hypertrophy there; should be sets of 5, I'd say 1x5 on squat day or 3x5 off squat day
>>
>>39739268
So that's what happened during my hiatus

Well anyway, their sticky is better than ours, someone should fix that
>>
What's a good way to train delts as novice?

I've been following a full body routine but my delts are clearly lagging behind chest and arms...
>>
>>39739173
A
BB OHP
db curls
cable tricep rope pulldowns
(recently considering adding diddly)

B
Bench
Squat
Cable rows pull

ABABAxx used to be
ABxABxx

3x8 on all my lifts. however if i tend to hit 8 on my last set i go up on weight. i try to set it so i fail at 6-7 on last set.

idk what the diff between hyptrophy and strength is desu. both seem to add muscle weight. i just want to add muscle mass and been on a bulk for 2 years.
>>
File: 1480658616295.png (417KB, 666x1207px) Image search: [Google]
1480658616295.png
417KB, 666x1207px
What should I do with two 16 kg dumbbells as my only equipment? I'm home for the next 15 days with no gymerino.
>>
>>39739300
>>39739269

so im thinking of adding diddly to my B days along with squats. i just.. dunno how many reps and sets.. dont really care for hyperophy ( aesthetics) but neither am i crazy on strength just want bulky shapeless mass.
>>
>>39739300
Well, I'm cringing a bit on your routine, but I'll work with it.

I'd say put diddly on B; if you put it on A your back never gets recovery time, and considering squat and deads are the two biggest lifts, you want recovery.

Do squats first, then bench to rest the back, then deads third or last. 1x5 at 90% 1RM (1x8 if you wanna stick to your 8-rep pattern, at 85% 1RM).

>>39739350
For mass you want something like SS or SL 5x5; the 5 reps makes sure you're lifting as much as you can. More weight = more muscle. And I'd suggest reading up on it more, especially Starting Strength (the book) if you haven't already, because my gut's telling me there are holes in your knowledge.
>>
>>39739311
Gonna be in the same boat here; just do your best to mimic your routine, make sure you work all the muscles. And do cardio because fuck it, no gainz to be killed. Prolly have to deload when we get back to it, but at least there won't be any major DOMS because the muscles haven't gotten rested.

Alternatively, rest for the full time, give your CNS a break. I haven't been going for long enough since my last rest to do this, but if you've been going >3 times a week for the last >12 weeks, a break could help.
>>
>>39739372
b-but ive been lifting for 3 years my max bench is 280.

its ok i guess but im not that scrubby lol. but yes even my old co worker told me to 5x5 and every big fucker ive seen ever said 3x6 or 4x6 or 5x5 variations. ill have to try it. i just dont think after doing lifting for 3 years id benefit as much as i should from an SS program but i do like their rep ranges. i just dont really want to lift 3 times a week lol or how "adding accesories" works.
>>
Any good programs for endurance strength? Thinking about joining the military again, but my pushup and plank is lacking.
>>
>>39739433
>>39739372
should i just switch all my current lifts to 5x5? i heard 3x5 is good too? for compounds at least except bicep ticep of course. everything else 3x5 5x5? ill prlly have to go back down to ABxAB with such heavy weight tho right? any knowledge on 6 rep ranges. feed me any knowledge senpai
>>
>>39739288
>>39739288
pls
>>
>>39739433
I don't doubt that you're good at what you're doing, it's what you're not doing that gets me.

>>39739464
Personally I do 3x5 for strength; for mass you can probably do 3x5 or 5x5, I don't think it'd make a difference.

I'd strongly advise getting all 6 compounds in there; squat, bench, diddly, OHP, barbell/pendlay row, chin-up, plus dips and maybe situps. So basically just follow SS or SL 5x5, whichever amount of sets you wanna do.

Considering you're not a noob, you could get some accessories in there; these are lifts you do well below your 1RM, just to get the smaller muscles and target the bigger ones more. Two of the most common ones are skullcrushers and barbell curls, but there are loads.

Here's some links, I'd suggest reading these and everything in the sticky, then putting together your own routine based on bits of them. Might take a bit of trial and error, but as long as you've got the main 6 in there, the worst you can do is overwork a muscle.

www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
newbie-
ss.fitness/#exercise
stronglifts.com/5x5/
>>
Recovering from being over 30% body fat?

will my gut really be completely gone if I hit 15% or so?
>>
>>39739528
>Recovering from being over 30% body fat?
Eat -500kcal a day. Start lifting. Do it for a year or so...

>will my gut really be completely gone if I hit 15% or so?
Yes
>>
File: Action christmas.png (619KB, 601x781px) Image search: [Google]
Action christmas.png
619KB, 601x781px
Have hunchback and tight shoulders, and I want to fix them. Wat do?
>>
>>39728593
Is it bad if I do something like this for bench:
bar, 25, 1pl8, 1pl8 25, 1pl8 30, 1pl8 25
for my set?
>>
>Workouts should be ordered in a way that allows the most important exercises to be done first.
>t. rippletits, practical programming
what if i pretty much only care about deadlifts, but doing a few sets of heavy deads renders me near-comatose for a good thirty minutes afterwards?
>>
File: loituma.gif (227KB, 352x240px) Image search: [Google]
loituma.gif
227KB, 352x240px
What does 5/3/1 reps means, as in OHP 5/3/1 5x10 ?
>>
>>39728593
How do I go about a failed set and the whole deload process?
I always thought it was if you fail twice, then you deload 10% and start over.
>>
File: 531 routine.png (5KB, 770x165px) Image search: [Google]
531 routine.png
5KB, 770x165px
>>39739676
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

It's a program.
>>
How do I find the calories of like a whole pot of how made chili? Just add all the ingredients and then divide by how much I eat?
>>
I'm super bored of strength workouts. I've swapped back and forth between routines in the last few years, but tend to go to strength routines, hit a plateau, then swap back to PPL or similar, then get weaker (strength-wise), then swap back again.

Am I going to make better hypertrophy gains from sticking with a strength routine or really dedicating to longer sets and such? I've never been sure.

>implying it's not just diet and whatever exercise
>implying strength routines are a meme is a meme is a meme is a meme^i
>>
>>39739707
Wow I typed that out retarded. Meant how to find calories of a serving.
>>
>>39738338
It's not that I can't say no. I won't drink, I hate alcohol anyway, but I just don't want to turn into an outcast or be liked less. It's a small company and my chance to have friends again. I just want a way to avoid drinking in a non-weirdo way so they still like me.
>>
>>39739715
What you said above was correct.

Add ingredients all together and divide by servings. While it may not be perfect over the course of eating it all you will eat all of the calories so if they are split up a little it wont matter.
>>
>>39739710
Honestly there is no reason your PPL can't be both. You can do a few things depending on how you run it. If you do a twice a week PPL then you can make one a strength focus and another a volume focus. Or you can focus on strength with the primary lifts and use the accessories on those days for volume / hypertrophy.

So for example:
Pull day (Typically Back + Bicep focused since those are the pull muscles)
Do a couple heavy sets of deadlifts and another "heavy" back exercise then do higher volume things to round out the workout.

Push day (Typically Chest/Shoulders/Tris)
Do heavy bench presses and/or OHP.
Then do volume work like incline press, flies, etc
>>
>>39739710
You could try something like PHAT that has a power upper/lower day and then a body part focus day later in the week for hypertrophy.
>>
I was resting for the weekend, trying to do a PB set on Monday after work, but I ended up picking my fat cat up to show him snow through a window, and I ended up pulling a muscle in my back.

Do I need to avoid all upper body workouts, and just do legs for the time being, or can I work with the pulled muscle?
>>
>>39739831

Take a look at 5/3/1 BBB.

I based my routine off that concept of doing 3x5 with heavy weight then 5x10 with lighter weight. Can't be bothered with the actual 5/3/1 progression so I'm just doing linear progression with immediate deloads if I stall.
>>
I need a routine for my 2017 cut. I was thinking of doing a PPLxPPLx routine. Is that doable for an intermediate natty on a cut? I don't want to overwork myself but PPL sounds really fun, and looks like something I want to do.
>>
>>39739913
Nothing wrong with PPL on a cut as long as you keep the volume in check. However, your typically better off keeping the same routine on your cut as you did on your bulk/gain. The reason for this is you can get a better idea of strength losses using the same routine, judge how you feel on a cut, better know when you should drop volume, etc.

Rarely is a cut a good time to start a new "program". Just saying.
>>
>>39739953
Alright, I was doing PPLxULx before. This way I'll mostly be taking the same PPL but doing it PPLxPPLx. I'll still be doing the same lifts and a lot of the same patterns. That's fine?
>>
If you go to the gym 3x a week, can you bench every time?

(I know what you're thinking and it's not that. I only have a couple weeks left in this bulk and I'm very close to 2pl8 bench.. want to hit it before the end of my bulk.)
>>
>>39740000
It really shouldn't matter much especially if the routine is close. As I said it is really just a better way for you to make sure you are recovering properly from the volume as you cut and allow you to better gauge when volume should go down.

If you start a totally new plan you may just be sore because of the new sets, rep, etc and its hard to properly judge how your diet/cut is impacting you. If the routine is pretty "close" then it should still be easy enough for you to figure out where your at.
>>
>>39740062
Thanks man. These threads are a lifesaver.
>>
Do you lose weight in sleep? Weighed myself and was 160 and woke up at 157.
>>
>>39740124

That would be when your body would most likely be in a "fasted" state and have to pull from fat stores for energy, yes.
>>
I just noticed that I started growing hair on my back

I don't want to be hairy. Should I kill myself or are there easier methods to remove it?
>>
>>39740152
So this is going to sound stupid, but! How would that make me lose weight? Its not like anything left my body via shitting. Perhaps sweating?
>>
>>39728593
i'm 5'9" and went from 147 lbs to 158 lbs over the last 3 months. probably 30-50% of the weight gain was muscle. now i want to cut down to 150 because im starting to get pretty fat.

can i cut at 1400 cal/day and not lose the muscle i gained? eating 130-150 grams of protein a day and lifting 3 days a week btw.
>>
Can I safely replace chicken with turkey in my diet?

Macros work out pretty well, and I like the flavor of turkey legs more than chicken. Any reason why I'd want to not do that?
>>
>>39740299
it's just food. Calories are calories in the end and it doesn't matter what you eat.

>>39740250
1400 seems pretty low. Your TDEE at sedentary is already only 2000, not including calories you will burn at gym sessions. I'd suggest 1500-1600 calories at whatever pace loses you 1 pound per week.
>>
Why do many big guys wear hoodies to the gym?
>>
>>39740352
I wear one to the gym, but take it off before I start my workout.

If you're asking whether you should wear one during a workout, and you're not working out in sub-zero temperatures, you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>39740380
Shit, didn't see the 'why'.

I can't speak for most big guys, but I accidentally bought skinny joggers instead of regular ones, and they embarrass the fuck out of me (I usually wear cargo pants). So I hoodie up and hope to Christ nobody I know sees me.
>>
If I'm doing a pplxpplx routine can I replace one leg day with HIIT sprints and still make good gains?
>>
On the end of my bench there is the preacher curl thing but i can also put my legs down there and lift it, what exercise is that called? leg extensions?
>>
>started doing deadlifts
>I'm up to 250 lbs now
>Having an incredibly hard time holding the bar, ended up dropping it while I was lowering my last rep

My back and legs can handle the weight no prob, but my grip strength is severely lacking.

What do?
>>
>>39740160
Your body is constantly working dude, even when resting you use energy.
>>
File: 1475677548038.jpg (47KB, 606x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475677548038.jpg
47KB, 606x600px
>>39728593
I Have read that building natty muscle after your noobs gains (first 1-2yrs) is very difficult. And i have been lifting 1 year and a half now (since mid 16 to 18) but i have been eating whatever i wanted and pretty sure i was in calorie deficit for most of the time.

So have i wasting my newbie gains for not eating and bulking properly? Will it be extremely difficult to put more natty muscle mass even if i bulk properly?

Thanks for your atention.
>>
>>39740560
*wasted
>>
Does life ever get easier?

Conversely, how do I go about buying a lifting belt? Are they standard sizes, or are the sizes variable (am fat fuck, working on being not a fat fuck). Will i need to buy a new belt once I look human again?
>>
I just started reading starting strength, and I've been doing high bar squats. Is Mark right, should I switch to low bar?
>>
File: IMG_20161219_145241.jpg (293KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161219_145241.jpg
293KB, 1024x768px
>>39740503
This thing
>>
>>39740586
>Does life ever get easier?
no, you just get used to it
>>
>>39740605
It's about biomechanics and leverages. For most people low bar is better since it doesn't require quite as much flexibility. Rippletits advocates it in SS since a) It's a beginner program b) It emphasizes more on the posterior chain and you can progress easier with it.
>>
5'9
180lbs
Current bench is 250lbs
>is acheiving a 3pl8 bench by the end of 2017 a realistic goal?
>>
>>39740538
mixed grip?
>>
File: have a good time.gif (1MB, 500x238px) Image search: [Google]
have a good time.gif
1MB, 500x238px
Is egg salad a good bulking food? It seems like it to me. Lots of calories (~700 per cup), decent amount of protein, actually tastes good.

I have my bulking breakfast and dinner meals figured out and I've been struggling to find a good, cheap lunch option.
>>
>>39741053
I was under the impression that mixed grip was for when you start lifting REALLY heavy.

I was more looking for grip strengthening tips. Like, would it be a good idea keep repeating a weight until its not a struggle to hold the bar before I progress?
Or are there really good isolations for grip?
>>
Is it ok to arch my back when deadlifting at low weights ?
>>
>>39741164
grip strength is a meme
you will get more gains with mixed grip
>>
>be me
>eat 3000 a day
>from 155 to 170 lbs
>get dumped and depressed
>don't eat or lift
>back at 155
>restart going to the gym
>follow same pattern as I did before
>no weight gain

What the fuck is going on!?!?! Its stressing me out
>>
>>39741244
Only if you hate your spinal discs. Remember to inhale and keep your abs tight as can be and only exhaling after lockout
>>
File: download (3).png (116KB, 576x682px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).png
116KB, 576x682px
Gauging interest for this, is anyone in here up for helping me design this shirt? I've got it on a site and can save the design for mass ordering for anyone who wants one if enough people show interest
>>
>>39741309
How am I supposed to breathe if my abs are tight as can be ?
>>
>>39737767
thx bro, just started out 2-3 weeks ago so I'm quite a novice at that, I'll give it a try!
>>
How do I measure body fat beyond eyeballing it
>>
File: 1344385953772.jpg (4KB, 171x158px) Image search: [Google]
1344385953772.jpg
4KB, 171x158px
What are your favorite veggies to eat raw? I usually eat baby carrots or slice up some bell peppers. What would you guys suggest?
>>
Starting two days from now i'm going off Rippetoe's Starting Strength revisited, are there any good alternatives to dips? Cardio then lifts on same day?
>>
If I bench 150 (with bar included) how much should I be able to dumbbell press?
>>
>>39741738
Do dips, negatives if you can't do them (lower yourself, jump back up, repeat)

Cardio after lifts, or on alternate days, although I tried it on alternate days when I started and my squat suffered. Best give yourself the rest day I reckon.
>>
>>39741368
You inhale then tighten. Holy shit how hard is that to figure out?
>>
are 7 reps really that bad or have I been bamboozled?
>>
>>39741608
the trunk(?) from broccoli, peel the hard green skin off first, what's inside is so delicious
>>
>>39741608
Baby corn.

I have no idea how nutritious they are, nor do I care.

They're like cute daggers of crunch.
>>
So my diet has been 1200 calories a day, but lately I been cheating on it. I've hovered around 1500-1600 a day, unable to hold myself back and eat just 1200.

I've already lost 110 lbs, starting at 2000 then 1750 then 1500 and 2 months ago I set it to 1200 and up until 2 weeks ago I did it fine, but now I'm having a hard time keeping below 1300.

Am I going to make it? Should I be worried? Halp?
>>
>>39741608
carrot, broccoli, onion, peppers, spinach
>>
>>39729174
>tabata heavy slam balls
>>
>>39742143
1200 is way too low what the hell are you doing

>>39741824
you got memed there's nothing wrong with 7 reps

>>39741747
a little less than half that

>>39741515
callipers, dexa scan, underwater weighing, tons of tests

>>39741259
stress hinders muscle buildup, and probably not really eating enough

>>39741355
dude, autism

>>39741117
yeah sure if it has enough protein and the macros are decent

>>39740777
probably not but hey try anyway

>>39740054
you could, but don't do too much chest exercises apart from bench then

>>39739848
avoid anything that uses the pulled muscle, this is common sense

>>39739564
do lots of face pulls
>>
>>39742559
>1200 is way too low what the hell are you doing
Im told I have really bad metabolism and I am reeeeeeeeeally inactive.

Like, I can't walk or work out or anything cause of my muscle disease.
>>
>>39742565
what muscle disease? metabolisms that are bad are a meme by the way
>>
>>39742577
muscular dystrophy
>>
>>39742587
you should ask your physical therapist for exercises for your muscles so you can at least move around a bit
>>
>>39742595
Im wondering if 1200 is too low for someone who cant move?
>>
>>39742605
your eating at low calories probably worsened your muscles you know
what do you do an entire day? just lay in your bed?
>>
>>39742641
Shitpost :^) and play video gaemz
>>
>>39742715
so you do nothing to actually progress into moving?
>>
>>39728593

I squat until my quads and ham touch, but should I return up earlier?

Kinda feels like I'm using it as a support and resting a bit at the bottom, don't know if that's significant or not.
>>
>>39743601
It is mildly significant. The rest means that you lose a little tension, and eliminate the stretch reflex some. This is a good thing if you want to develop raw strength out of the bottom position, but you will lose a little capacity if you do not use the stretch reflex. Honestly train how you like, anon, just be safe. I love you.
>>
File: women PP.png (15KB, 270x289px) Image search: [Google]
women PP.png
15KB, 270x289px
Is this good a girl? Aiming for lower body.

Day A
> Bulgarian split squat 2x10 + 1x10+
> OHP 3x10
> Lat pulldowns 3x10
> Goodmornings 5x10
> Glute kickback 5x10
> Abs

Day B
> Lunge 2x10 + 1x10+
> Push-ups 5xF
> RDL 5x10
> Hip thrusts 5x10
> Abs

Bulgarian split squats bc there's no squat rack in the gym next to her home; also, dem butt gains.
>>
>>39743672
Beginner? Too complicated. Stick to lunges, pushups, pulldowns, RDLs, hipthrusts, abs and just do that every training session 2-4x/week
>>
>>39743704
She already knows how to perform the exercises, but she was on a shitty instructor routine.
>>
File: 1478995875971.gif (2MB, 310x368px) Image search: [Google]
1478995875971.gif
2MB, 310x368px
>>39743627

Thanks for the advice anon, that sounds good.

I love you too, have a happy christmas.
>>
>>39743714
Oh okay word in that case rear foot elevated BSS are superior to the walking lunge IMO although reverse lunges with a safety squat bar are okay.

If she's trying to look like a figure competitor, more delts is probably a good call

Finally, there's a lot of hip extension in there (training the gluteus maximus and providing more width from a side view) but not much hip lateral rotation/abduction (training the glute medius/minimus. Training those movements will give the glutes a perkier look as the smaller glutes lie deep and superior to the maximus.
>>
File: apple.gif (233B, 22x25px) Image search: [Google]
apple.gif
233B, 22x25px
>>39743750
:)
>>
>>39743751
>there's a lot of hip extension in there (training the gluteus maximus and providing more width from a side view) but not much hip lateral rotation/abduction
Good point, I'll look into that.

For the deltoids, her upper body is reasonably strong bc she swims regularly since childhood.
Thx for the advice.
>>
Im fucking underweight now and STILL have a gut. I'll admit it's not as bad as it used to be but what the fuck am I supposed to do get rid of it?
>>
>>39743798
You're welcome man. Anything to make women hotter. Women are my favorite drug. Except for maybe psilocybin. Hope you get to smash that glorious ass once it ripens. Or not if you don't want to and are just being friendly. Either way have a good one brah. Swimmer chicks def get pretty nice shoulders for sure
>>
>>39743812
underweight as in below 18.5 BMI? If so post pics it's probably in your head. If not, then do some fasting dude. Fasting increases adiponectin which preferentially targets belly fat.
>>
>>39743812
genetics
>>
File: IMG_2090.png (978KB, 511x913px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2090.png
978KB, 511x913px
>>39743825
18.0 BMI
>>
>>39743923
It's in your fucking head dude. You are tiny. Not fat. Fix your posture, gain muscle.
>>
>>39743971
what's wrong with my posture
>>
>>39743976
nothing honestly that dude is wrong about that but he's right about you being tiny, i mean i guess you could try to keep losing weight to find abs but it might not be too healthy, look at some hormone related patterns of fat storage like cortisol/android vs gynoid
>>
>>39743996
i know im tiny i like it that way

should i maybe try looking into specific exercises that target the abs like planks?
>>
>>39744021
i mean, planks are pretty healthy in general, probably wouldn't hurt
>>
>>39744021
there's no such thing as "spot toning"

You either gain muscle through a surplus or don't.
>>
>>39744108
well then what the hell am i supposed to do
>>
>>39744112
I don't know, maybe you should read the sticky and find out.
>>
2 questions:
What are some good back decompression exercices? And what's the purpose of kinesio tape, or whatever it's called?
>>
>>39744145
The top position of a dip feels great to hold for a bit after squats/deads

Kinesio tape is supposed to help enhance proprioception to increase awareness of movement patterns, its efficacy probably exists and is probably overblown
>>
Best ways to improve diddly grip, or grip in general?

Best exercises, routines?

Besides chalk. Also my hands are too small for hook grip which sucks ass, any way around this without compromising grip strength training?
>>
>>39744120
no im not reading it again i already count calories and eat right and take my vitamins and exercise
>>
File: 1481650749707.gif (322KB, 499x270px) Image search: [Google]
1481650749707.gif
322KB, 499x270px
overweight loser checking in

Currently 20 pounds down out of a total of 45. Been doing SS and just progressed to the second phase with chin-ups.

Do I continue with SS until I reach goal and bulk or do I progress to a new program once I reach a plateau?
>>
>>39744187
Hold the last set of deads at the top for a bit for specificity

Do some dead hangs for bonus scapular health

Do some farmers carries because loaded carries are fucking bae
>>
>>39744112
if you want abs then just diet and lose weight, you can't make your abs show by growing them if you don't gain weight first, so instead you decrease fat and show them off like that but you'll look terrible
>>
>>39744211
im already underweight
>>
>>39744200
Just switch programs one you stall for longer than a week or two, otherwise you should probably stick with it if it's working for you
>>
>>39744200
Losing fat is more important than gaining strength. When you plateau you can still eke out incremental strength gains they just won't be as simple. Ways you can progress within the 3x5 rep scheme without increasing weight: rep quality in terms of form, shorter rest times

Or you could realize that there are a glorious number of discrete numbers less than and greater than 5 that are available for use
>>
>>39744217
exactly mine and the others guy point, you have to gain muscle and fat together in order to cut out fat later and have big enough muscles that show at a healthy weight
>>
>>39744229
i dont want abs or muscles i just want a flat stomach
>>
how far should i go down with lat pullovers?

I have a feeling that when your shoulders kind of pop (maybe im double jointed) at the bottom, thats going too far, but up to 50 lbs doing that ive been fine. at 60 i didnt go that far for fear of fucking myself up
>>
>>39744241
Bro I have the answer for you that no one else has given. Train your transverse abdominis aka your TVA. The best exercise for this is stomach vacuums. Look this shit up bro the more you train it the tighter your waist gets.
>>
>>39744227
So just stick to it until goal weight?
>>
>>39744207
thanks Senpai, I'll try those out
>>
>>39744207
I second this, doesnt get better. though i do slow rep pullups instead of dead hangs, but specifically for forearms its the same
>>
>>39744248
Here's a tip for you brah. Keep your chest up (thoracic extension). Pull down with an open flat palm, thumb over top. Make sure the weight is light enough so you can pause at peak contraction for a bit.
>>
>>39744251
Yeah bro, even if you are maintaining strength while losing weight, you are still improving your strength to weight ratio
>>
File: 1411625597444.webm (3MB, 1280x560px) Image search: [Google]
1411625597444.webm
3MB, 1280x560px
>>39744277
thanks bruv
>>
>>39744250
nice ill try this!

thank you so much
>>
>>39744268
im talking db pullovers, i forgot there was a machine for it, so peak resistance would be at the end of the eccentric movement, which is where my shoulders pop (dislocate?)
>>
>>39728593
I'm 5'10, ~225 lbs. I'm trying to join the military so I don't want to gain a bunch of mass, so what are some good body weight/low weight exercises? I'm cutting calories, doing push-ups, crunches, and cardio already because they test on those. Just wanting to get in shape asap.
>>
>>39744315
oh i've never done those with a db homie. here's what i imagine is happening though. since you gotta put both hands on the db, you're forcing internal rotation, which is a bad look when going overhead. using a long handle or two separate ones allows your elbows to tuck in and forearms to be neutral.
>>
>>39744335
Yeah man you got the right idea, specificity is king.
>>
>>39744347
maybe i should try holding the db by the weights at the end then? i bet thatd give a nice squeeze in the chest throughout, but itd be more difficult overall. currently im holding it like you would doing a standing db tricep extension, like hands in diamond formation
>>
>>39738511
depends what sort of questions you got. I don't mind answering questions but I'm on permabulk so I only have generic fat-progress answers
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.