[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The oddness of praising weight loss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: transition-fat_to_thin1.jpg (58KB, 1512x1111px) Image search: [Google]
transition-fat_to_thin1.jpg
58KB, 1512x1111px
In the world of youtube, I often see wannabe celebrity vloggers constantly dragging out their story of their weight loss, over and over again, milking it for praise in monetized videos.

But what are we praising here? Someone that reached such a low level, then pulled themselves out of it? What about the people that gained just 40 lbs, realized what was happening and stopped it earlier? Are they not as deserving of praise because they had more self control or self awareness? Is it not as impressive because they don't have huge flaps of loose skin and tons of stretch marks?

It reminds me of a guy that would always bring up being a former meth addict, but now teaches at a college. Are we supposed to keep giving you a pat on the back for self preservation? We can't judge you for getting yourself into a predicament in the first place?

I don't get it. You let yourself fail, then pulled yourself back up to where the majority of people are at. It's not like you trained from being a scrawny person to a champion weightlifter.
>>
If this is a Boogie thread, I agree.
But I don't know, we all make mistakes and disciple should always be admired.
If you lost weight through diet and exercise, good for you, I admire that, just don't shill me anything.
It's those like Boogie who always complain, make excuses and drag out their problem for literal years.

If he only just ate a little less and lifted a few dumbbells each day for a year he'd be much better off.
>>
>>39669386
boogie finally lost weight?
>>
>>39669363
>be me
>high school
>A's throughout
>never cause mischeif
>no teachers even know my name
>some troublemaker
>always failing
>one term he does marginally better than normal
>teachers praise him
>receives awards and college placement offers
life isn't fair
>>
>>39669416
Only way that fat fuck is gonna lose weight is through decomposition.
>>
We are defined by our lows just as well as our highs. If you don't have lows, then you are harder to relate to, and we don't really give a fuck about you.
>>
To fall so low and then climb back up to what should be the norm is quite a feat for the person you understand. The level of the fall, back to the norm is in many ways just as challenging as being normal and climbing to extraordinary.
>>
>>39669363
The only reason I was obese was because I was fed shit food by my parents, I left their house weighing almost 100kg for uni, and when I started cooking for myself I started to loose weight, I don't want a pat on the back and in fact, the least people notice me, the better, but I just wanted to tell you that sometimes it's the abuse of others that make someone fat.
>>
Luke 15:11-32
>>
a lot of these people that lose large amounts of weight and make a huge deal about it over and over haven't accomplished anything else in their life and it's the only way they can feel validated
>>
i mean there's some effort in losing a lot of weight

its a 24/7 job that you need to be consistent on for up to a year or more.

add in these people are usually chronically depressed due to their condition, self-conscious, and de-motivated you can see the picture forming.

i mean unless you were socially defunct i can't see how you couldn't understand why people are like "hey nice job".

are you diagnosed with anything?
>>
I get what you're saying OP, and I agree mostly. My gym buddy is well built for a natty, never was fat, always seems to be thinking about fitness. I'm working my magic to persuade him to pin, he can achieve great things. Anyway, he congratulates my often for dropping 120lbs. And I say yeah it's good but I shouldn't have been fat in the first place. He managed to never get fat, never mind lose it, so I should be congratulating him.

But, thing is, every one is wired differently, everyone has their demons. For some people, it's drugs, other's it's shopping, other's drinking, and for a lot of people nowadays it's eating. When a fat person loses weight, it's like they're beating their demons, and that always deserves praise. Getting fat is some people's normal way of life and when they make significant enough changes to fix it going against what would be the path of least resistance, you can say they did well.

Imagine a poor kid, and a rich kid. The poor kid works hard, earns money, buys himself a house. The rich kid takes out his cheque book and buys a house. Who deserves more praise, if any one? It's subjective really, but most would say the poor kid, even though they achieved the same thing. But this rich kid got hooked on coke in school, as they all seem to do, and the poor kid could never afford coke, so he never got on it. This rich kid after years of rehab, manages to knock his addiction on the head and become clean, but the poor kid was all clean, in my eyes, the rich kid deserves praise for getting over his addiction.

It depends where you started off, which demons you have. I'll forever feel like being a hungry skelly gives you a MUCH better start off than being a hambeast for getting fit. But rationally I know they're basically going through the same thing and have a hard time making enough changes to get where they want, and if they do it, they deserve praise.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.