[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Gym General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 1478370829617.png (1MB, 866x811px) Image search: [Google]
1478370829617.png
1MB, 866x811px
How much would I be looking at to buy a complete home gym? Tired of spending money on the commercial gym jew

>Squat Cage with adjustable bench

>adjustable dumbbell set

>Olympic bar and weights

>rubber mats to not fuck up concrete

This is all I think I really need for now, I have been checking craigslist out for pieces but I haven't seen much.
>>
Depends yugely on the brands you're buying.

>Squat cage with bench
Usually anywhere from $500 to $1200

>adjustable dumbbells
I bought a pair on amazon for under $200, 100lbs each

>olympic bar and weights
don't cheap out when you buy a bar, look for good reviews and a nice warranty. prices vary a lot anywhere from $300 to lol rogue go fuck yourself. if you buy cheap plates you get cheap quality- nasty burls, cheap paint, sloppy fit, inaccurate weight. bumper plates are ridiculously expensive
decent plates are around $1.5 per lb

>rubber mats
50 buck pay pal

You're looking at anywhere from 3 grand to bankruptcy by eleiko depending on what you want.

Nothing is more satisfying then lifting at home though.
>>
If you can afford rubber coated plates get them. It decreases the clinking noises that can annoy your wife or children which leads to bitching (if you live alone the fuck it and do whatever).

I got a power rack on woot.com. It's worked well. Get some dumbbells that fit Olympic plates if you need to save money.

There's a lot of DIY stuff out there. If you are handy then look up some how tos before you buy anything. My home gym was about $1300, but that's about what I could afford. I am constantly improving it; it's a process, not a one time purchase.
>>
>>39588409
I definitely considered making a power cage and just buying the bar+weights and bench. I still might.

I work construction and own pretty much every tool for carpentry and concrete work so its definitely do-able. Wife thinks I will kill myself with a homemade setup, even though I won't I don't want her complaining.
>>
>>39588492
>puts two ladders with two by fours poking out of them for a squat rack
>>
>>39588535
KEK That's pretty much what she thinks it would look like
>>
>>39588535
You can use saw horses as safeties. I did that as an inbetween before I snagged a deal on a power rack. Fit can get off the idea of needing one, though. If you have a barbell just front squat until you get a power rack. If you have dumbbells do lunges and goblet squats. Shit isn't that hard.
>>
>>39588280
Just go budget mode like me
>Diy Parallel bars
>Sturdy ass pullup bar
>Dip belt
>Adjustable db's
>Shit tier bench
bout 230 buck altogether
>>
File: 1480612270556.jpg (62KB, 604x506px) Image search: [Google]
1480612270556.jpg
62KB, 604x506px
>>39588696
How much did the plates cost you for bar and db's?
>>
>>39588280
I bought a squat rack online for ~400$ shipped
Picked up a folding gym bench for 70$ off a neighbour
got a olympic bar with rubber plates brand new at a fitness store for ~ 400$ (2 x 45, 2 x 35, 2 x 25, 2 x 10, 4 x 5, 2 x 2.5)
picked up a hex dumbell set (rubber ones) damn near brand new off craigslist for 200$ (10-30lbs dumbells with rack)

Total is around 1270$

I also got a bunch of extra sears 1inch plates from my dads old gym which i use to build 40lbs and 50lbs dumbells. As well as a homemade lat pulldown using old Iron window weights. And finally I have EZ bars for curls and skullcrushers.

I recomend you look online for deals (on kijiji/craigslist) but ideally buy your squat cage online cuz its hella cheap (230 canadian + 150$ shipping vs store ones which are 800-1000$)
>>
>>39588850
Also don't buy in the whole "gym quality" equipement. It's for commercial use and its hella expensive.

My plates are very good quality, as well as my bar. And my squat rack is pretty darn solid (rated for ~700lbs but i can only squat like 250). Only thing is its a little on the light side of things so if you squat heavy dont slam it on the bar, it might move a little. But it's safe - just dont be an idiot.

So for a full gym, youre looking at 12-1500$ canadian (prob 900-1100 US?)

Again, buy used if you can but dont expect crazy savings on anything but Weider or Sears brand shit cuz gym equipement keeps it's value pretty good.
>>
>>39588280
concrete's tough
google homade squat stands
used weights and bench off craigslist
>>
>>39588944
that reminds me >>39588909

I use old thin commercial carpet on concrete flooring, rubber mats are not necessary unless you really need to protect your floor. Just dont slam shit
>>
>tfw had 3 Oly bars
>Left one out in the rain accidentally over the weekend
>Deadlift day, going for 545lb PR
>Moment I picked up and locked out I noticed bar bent
>Go back down, bar is still bent

Don't leave equipment out ever.
>>
>>39588944
>concrete's tough
Years of working on concrete makes me strongly disagree with this.

Shit will crack extremely easily, might not need rubber mats, but just something to avoid direct contact with the concrete.
>>
>>39589021
What brand bar was it? I wouldn't think they would break/bend that easy.
>>
>>39588981
>>39589025

This. I cracked the concrete pretty bad at old place. Now I put cardboard underneat for deadlift.
>>
>>39588280
I bought a Titan fitness cage and bench, rogue boneyard power bar, and 345lbs of weight for all total about 750. Got every piece on some kind of sale, at least 10 percent or more off. Put it in my carpeted basement with the cage bolted onto two 6 foot lengths of 2x12 lumber.
>>
>>39588280
If you are hoping to get decent stuff off of craigslist, be ready to move. Where I live, gyms snap decent stuff up pretty quick.
>>
>>39588280
I spent less than $600 for all of that. I got most of it at Dick's, but it depends on how high quality you want to go. I am a beginner and this gets me everything I need for SS.

>Olympic Bench with squat rack safety bars - $249
>300lb. Olympic weight set with bar - $199
>Olympic Dumbbell Bar - $35
>Olympic Curl Bar - $70
>Rubber Mats - $50
>>
>>39588280
Just built a gym in my shed.
Cage and Adjustable Bench - 630
Bar - 180
Cast Iron plates - 200

Plan to buy adjustable dumb bells in future
>>
>>39589646
>Plan to buy adjustable dumb bells in future

Don't, unless you mean Powerblocks or something similar
>>
>>39589675
>powerblocks

Literally a meme
>>
>>39589675
For what reason
>>
>>39589721
There is no reason, he is just memeing. An adjustable DB will serve you better than those.
>>
Can you lift on carpet? I always thought it would fuck you up but wasn't certain.
>>
>>39588280
the goat body transformation
>>
>>39589791
Generally a hard surface is better but thin carpet isn't going to do much to hinder you
>>
>>39589681
Why do you think that?

>>39589721
>>39589748
Have neither of you ever used adjustable dumbbells before? They're a pain in the ass in every way. 99% of the ones sold are made with poor tolerances, so even good collars don't hold well on sleeves that are wonky sizes. And good luck trusting those when you have weight over your face or head when benching, ohp-ing and so on. Ideally you'd get a full dumbbell set, or make your own dumbbell set with bar stock and 1" pancake plates. Both these options can get expensive unless you find good deals on Craigslist. A pair of 5-90lb Powerblocks will be ~$600 and 5-125lb is ~$850, possibly less if you buy used. This comes down to what your used market is like. If you're broke just focus on the barbell lifts and check Craigslist daily for pairs of dumbbells for sale in the weight range you'd use.
>>
I bought 2 horse stall mats for the floor, sort of overkill but they are pretty rad

thicc and hard as fuck rubber
>>
>>39589840
I think the before pic is on the right
>>
>>39591919

youre wrong
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.