[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit/ I wanted to bike to my work rather than drive. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: improve-mountain-biking-main.jpg (322KB, 1188x1028px) Image search: [Google]
improve-mountain-biking-main.jpg
322KB, 1188x1028px
Hey /fit/ I wanted to bike to my work rather than drive. It's about 20 miles and I never really biked much before.

What kind of bike should I get for distance like this? It's mostly road but some off-road stuff (Mostly just minor trail not like in a mountain or anything like that).

How do I interact with cars on my route? I mean like do I need to be on the road, will I need to fight other cars on the road or do people respect a bikes right to be on the road?

As a side question how well does biking translate into running? If I'm biking 40 miles a day will it help out running ability or does the cardio not translate?
>>
Bumperino
>>
get a hardtail
>>
>>39513620
What kind of bike should I get for distance like this?
IDK man... if u want to go fast and long distances use a roadbike or cyclocross

>How do I interact with cars on my route?
Just drive on the right so cars can overtake you and follow the traffic laws.

>As a side question how well does biking translate into running?
If you have a good running technique then yeah, the lung/heart gains from cycling will help you with running. But running is allot of harder on your joints and muscles then cycling so start slow.
>>
>>39513827
i'd actually recommend a cyclocross too
>>
File: 1480066069611.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1480066069611.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
remember to drink
>>
>>39513620
There is a board for this shit you faggot
>>
buy a cyclocross, locking pedals, bike tricots(do not wear anything under or get rashes), shoes to go with the pedals and a helmet
>>
>>39513620
Freind, you're posting on the wrong board. >>>/n/ you'll get better advice there, on /fit/ all you'll get is hate and ridicule for 'killing your gains with cardio'.
>>
>>39513879
he should get a good cyclo cross in that case because a low end roadbike is a lot better than a low end cyclocross
>>
Hijacking this thread to ask: what muscles does cycling use, particularly uphill? Obviously it ill use quads but I'm not sure about the entire leg, and it feel like it uses the arms a bit too.
>>
>>39513620

Is the trail smooth? Is it never muddy?
Get a touring bike like a Surly Long Haul Trucker, slap fenders and a rack on it.
>>
>>39514448
It uses everything. It uses your quads and glutes on the downpedal because it's leg extension, your calves on the transition from downpedal to pedaling up because of dorsiflexion of the foot (pushing the toes down), hamstrings while pedaling up because it's flexing your thigh

also uses some triceps/delts because of holding your arms extended for an extended period but not much
>>
>>39514448
it kind of depends on your posture, but yes, you usually use all your leg muscles while cycling, although the main are glutes and quads. pic related lists the muscles used on a typical road position on the flats. you can choose whether you use your arms or not. but using the bike to work out your arms isn't efficient. to actually use your arms, you must use a gear so heavy you'll also put a lot of effort on your legs. so you'll probably burn out your legs before achieving any effect on your arms anyway.
>>
File: p4pb8447367.jpg (176KB, 655x398px)
p4pb8447367.jpg
176KB, 655x398px
>>39514632
here's pic related
>>
File: Power-Pedal-Muscles-BlogReady.jpg (342KB, 700x1428px) Image search: [Google]
Power-Pedal-Muscles-BlogReady.jpg
342KB, 700x1428px
>>39514638
and another one, with more muscles but less detail
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.