[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do dips hurt my sternum so much? I can only do a few and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Why do dips hurt my sternum so much? I can only do a few and they fucking hurt. Any fixes?
>>
>>39503781
Had that problem a couple of years ago. I stopped doing them for a while and worked my chest and now i am fine. This is not medical advice Just my xp. See à doctor. Gl m9
>>
>>39503781
Go see a doctor.
>>
this is very strange, im currently at 280lbs and my dips dont bother me at all....the sternum takes FOREVER TO HEAL, so if i was you i would try alt to dips, do skull crushers for tris
>>
do a few what?
>>
>>39503827
A few dips.
>>39503821
I might have to then.
>>
>>39503781
Take anti inflammatories every day for like 2 weeks and see if it helps (while not doing anything that hurts your sternum).

The cartilage there is likely inflamed. I had the same thing and eventually it got worse and worse.because I did nothing about it until the point it was hurting to yawn and cough.
Turns out there was inflammation and I was crumbling away the cartilage for months lol.
>>
>>39503816
don't

i had this problem when i started doing dips
now im doing weighted dips with 1-2 pl8s and it doesn't bother me anymore
every person i conviced to start lifting at first said their sternum hurts but it eventually goes away
>>
>>39503846
I thought it might be this. Did you end up being able to do them again after?
>>
>>39503868
Yeah, there's no pain anymore. But it did take a good number of months to get to pain free stage after the inflammation was gone.

That was actually a year and a half ago and the damage now seems permanent. If I stretch too much when I yawn my sternum makes a loud pop/crack noise and it hurts for the rest of the day. But that's rare because I consciously don't stretch much in the mornings now lol.

If it is the same issue and you deal with it early though then you will probably recover very quickly.
>>
>>39503846
>>39503868

Costochondritis
>>
>>39503892
Ya, I don't have pain unless I'm doing them or pressing on the bone. I'll take at least a week off and take an anti inflammatory.
>>39503865
Did you take a break when you felt pain?
>>
>>39503781
I had the same pain, more so in my collarbone. I stopped doing dips and started doing shoulder mobility exercises, mainly protraction and retraction of my shoulder blades and the pain eventually went away. I think it really came down to the fact that my shoulder girdle wasn't properly aligned with my ribcage.
>>
>>39503781
Try a closer grip, and/or maybe closer bars infront of you if you have tilted ones, that helped me immensely
>>
>>39503781
The cartilage in between your ribs doesn't "set" until you're in your mid 20's. Don't keep doing dips if they hurt, you're preventing your ribs from setting correctly, which could cause harm in the long term.

Find an alternate tricep exercise, such as close grip bench
>>
I started doing dips around july, and it really hurt my sternum (not much first 2 weeks, but then more and more), but I kept doing them for few weeks. By the begining of september the pain was pretty much constant all day, I would also get popping when stretching like this guy >>39503892 and that kinda hurt too.

Then I took around 1 month off of any chest exercises to give time to heal. Right now I still get occasional pain right by the sternum (where rib and sternum connect), but it's mild and goes away quickly. Also, it still pops every few days, but popping doesn't hurt anymore. Pretty much the same experience as >>39503892 ...

>>39503821
>takes FOREVER TO HEAL
yeah, this is definitely true.

My advice would be to not do them if it hurts and if you already did any major damage, let it heal.
I tried doing them cca 1 month ago again and in few reps the pain was back.
>>
Keep your shoulders down, they shouldn't be shrugged
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.