[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to fix hypervigilance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: 1476044877923.jpg (48KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1476044877923.jpg
48KB, 750x1334px
I got senselessly beaten (not out of discipline) by my father who I later found out had the same happen to him when he was drunk and spilled the beans, but I also got bullied in school, all this started from being a toddler and both bullying and physical abuse ended at about 14 (stopped living with my dad).

I severely flinch and put my hands over my head whenever someone raises a hand (even slowly like to answer a question), goes to hug me etc or even squares up I flinch like a little bitch.

How to fix this?
>inb4 "don't be a little bitch"
it's not a feeling I have like "oh shit he's gonna hit me", it's purely a reaction like my body cant control itself

>tfw you got bullied and beaten in the first place which made you get issues to later on also get bullied and beaten
cycle
>>
>>39421946
psychiatric therapy
also your father is a little man
>>
start taking sparring classes
i guarantee you within 3 classes you'll lose your reflexes to quiver and grovel
>>
Find a safe place to work through any emotional shit you have from this. You probably think you don't, but you do.

Establish physical comfort and confidence with some sort of contact sport/discipline.

It's gonna take time; be patient.
>>
Get into boxing and wrestling. You can still lift.

Just go to a boxing/wrestling gym once every week or so and get used to all the people doing shit
>>
>>39421970
This OP. Do it. Also therapy
>>
>>39421967
my dad was a 5'10 manlet so your statement is true (I'm 6'4") but I tried therapy and I always feel like I'm being judged and made fun of in the office and I always ended up coming home feeling worse

>>39421970
was considering this but I did get into a lot of fights obviously as a kid/teen and it didn't seem to work? keep in mind I'm very physically strong so its not about being confidence in my hit

>>39421979
tried rugby when I was younger, I like had a fucking seizure (flinching like mad) on the pitch, I did try a few times

also my only true friend is really my mum but she always just says forget it and move on

>>39421989
I'll take this into consideration as well as all answers above
>>
>>39422029
Fights are nothing like sparring, that is, if you find a good dojo/school. Sparring is meant to be casual and person-to-person; no forcing or trying to injure one another. When you fight you turn off your self conscious, when you spar you focus on memorizing muscle movement so it becomes second nature, so you don't have to think to fight.
>>
>>39421946
I was bullied when i was kid. 27 nowand i still jumpi fear when somebody makes kerking or sudden move.

People usually laugh and joke about it in a friendly manner tho. I grew accustomed to it. Try meditation. And therapy, with right therapist you can do it.

You're gonna make it bro :3
>>
>>39422029
Therapy is very hit and miss but pls don't be discouraged. You probably feel like therapy is pointless but thats because the psychs you've been to have been shit. Keep researching and trying different psychs until you find one that clicks with you. I can't overstate the importance of good therapy in your situation.
>>
Another idea to play around with are active and reactive action. I guess youre reactive (not relaxed, paranoid, hyper aware of your surroundings to a fault and letting the slightest thing trigger you and fuck up your flow)

When youre 'active' I guess thats like youre in your own 'zone' . Outside influences and actions dont trigger you into (re)acting. Instead you relax and go with the flow like a sort of passive being and action
>>
Exposure therapy, probably.
>>
Go to a psychologist. This sounds like ptsd gone cronic. May you get well.

Also unlike others have said, I first recommend going to therapy and then thinking about martial arts or boxing. I think its unethical for you to do combat sports with such emotional damage. You may end up more damaged or damage somebody else.
>>
>>39421946
Note to all of fit, This the type of chick on Tinder that you accidentally get an STI from

Also to OP...Sparring classes should fix that right up...Talk to the instructor beforehand in private Let him know whats up.

Being trained to take a hit, what hurts and what doesn't as well as how to return one will kill that reflex reeeeeeeaal quick.
>>
>>39422132
>with such emotional damage. You may end up more damaged or damage somebody else.

i got beaten up as a kid by several different relatives who took care of me and my brothers

guess what? none of us have "ptsd" because we didnt grew up in usa bunch of fucking pussy bitches

WAHH I NEED MUH THERAPY, MUH PILLS, MUH ADDERALL FOR MY MADE UP DISEASES MANNNNNNNN I NEED ALL THESE PRESCRIPTIONS MY DOCTORS GAVE ME SENPAI

>You may end up more damaged or damage somebody else.

well you fucking learn from that. unless you're mentally retarded of course
>>
>>39421946
have someone raise their hands at you without violent intent, eventually you'll be normalized to motion and likely won't get triggered when others do it
>>
>>39422074
>>39422100
>>39422103
>>39422108
>>39422123
>>39422132
thank you I had suspected it was something similar to PTSD, not only the flinching but on the street if I saw a man similar looking to my father my heart would sink and I'd lose balance and become extremely anxious

I will take all these into consideration, and honestly whenever I tried to talk about this to someone irl I'd always either get laughed at or just told to man up and move on/stop being a little bitch, it really means a lot to me that strangers would give their time of day to offer help to me when people who were supposedly close wouldn't even bat an eye.

>>39422154
>Talk to the instructor beforehand in private Let him know whats up.

thank you this may actually help me stop the insecure feeling of embarrassing myself while sparring or underperforming

>>39422171
sorry that happened to you but I'm neither American or on any medication of sorts except for the occassional joint, I'm a filthy turkroach
>>
>>39422186
or do something that triggers that response over an over again until you get normalized to it.
>>
>>39422171
Some people are literally more biologically sensitive to psychological trauma. I know you don't have that problem, but some people legit do. Doesn't mean they lack discipline or brawn or some shit.
>>
File: 1478501867804.jpg (134KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1478501867804.jpg
134KB, 1080x1080px
>>39422190
hope you hit the road to recovery soon brother
4chan is pretty shitty but everyone here is fucked up in one way or another, so when you have real issues that "friends" can't help you with, sometimes it seems like this place is you best friend
>>
>>39422171
you don't know the frequency or severity of these beatings compared to how you were beaten.

You could've been beaten infrequently for disciplinary reasons while he could've had the shit kicked out of him almost all the time for no real reason (which he did say). Don't assume you know what it's like when you don't have all the details.
>>
>>39422199
or they just have a victim mentality, everyone i feel like, has this to some extent

trying to getting rid of it, helped me better myself

>>39422190
if you have access to mushrooms or lsd and have a good mindset (getting rid of the victim mentality like i said and just accepting that things happen) before taking it, have some good friends to guide you while you trip if you feel like you need it. i did all my trips alone because i knew i could handle it
>>
File: 1405548310705.png (178KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
1405548310705.png
178KB, 550x309px
You've been conditioned to read a stimulus as incoming pain. You need to condition yourself that it doesn't mean that. Get someone to train with you until you no longer instinctively react to stimulus. You didn't learn the behavior overnight and you won't forget it overnight.
>>
>>39422229
>Don't assume you know what it's like when you don't have all the details.

and how exactly do you know what happened to me? lol

these people that beat us up. me and my brothers are very distant relatives who didnt care about discplining kids they barely knew existed before they were asked to take care of us
>>
File: daddy issues.jpg (33KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
daddy issues.jpg
33KB, 500x359px
>>39422190
>>
>>39421946
Get your vengeance. It may not be immediate but you'll feel like you've taken power over your situation if you're standing over the beaten body of the man who tormented you.
>>
>>39422233
>good friends

I have accomplices in which share no empathy and are quick to judge me. I have to hide the fact that I smoke weed cause they said they won't be friends with "low-life potheads" even though I only have the occassional joke. I don't want the victim mindset, I don't want to be pitied or to have self-pity I just want these problems to go fuck themselves. It's not like when someone raises their hand I'm stopping them saying "excuse me sir but that is triggering me you're going on youtube" it's just an unneccessary biological reaction that I would like to rid of. I'm adding in some emotional shit because this is actually the first time anyone has showed care and it feels therapeutic.

I've been trying to get a hold of shrooms for a long time but I don't live in a big city and weed and blow are the only things I've heard of here. Excuses though, is trying to grow them myself a good idea?

>>39422271
Thank you for the words of wisdom. There were times where I was being a faggot and way in over my head and I actually held a knife to my dads throat while he slept feeling good knowing I had power to end his life right there and then, this had more symbol for me rather than just homicide, because it reflected on a time where my dad chased me around the house with a knife when I was 11, bent me over a table spat in my face and held a knife to my throat. That is the most edgiest thing I've ever admitted to but I was wrong. Bettering myself doesn't need to hurt others no matter what happened to me.

>>39422304
I swing back and forth for feeling sorry for him and wanting to physically murder him. I feel sorry because like me had developed anger issues and emotional instability from getting severely and senselessly beaten by his mother as he told everyone when he was drunk. Seeing his tears shed that night I saw myself in him and if I hurt an old man it would not only be a cheap shot but it would dig these emotional scars deeper. /pussyrant
>>
>>39422359
>I just want these problems to go fuck themselves

you dont want that either, you just can't make something disappear and go on with your merry life, you have to learn how to deal with it

watch tony robbins i am not your guru, it's on netflix you can get free trial if you dont have netflix and chill lol

read books about self improvement.

sparring would definitely help like the other guys mentioned

>>39422359
>is trying to grow them myself a good idea?

honestly dont know, i have a dealer for that

if you can't find them, really make an honest attempt at meditation. look up tummo medation this goes hand in hand with self improvement books. you can meditate just to meditate, but the change that you want comes when you're actually trying to better yourself then meditate or take the shrooms
>>
>>39422171
Spoken like someone who desperately needs to go to fucking therapy
>>
>>39422564
says the guy from the internet without actual experience from any of this shit

i'm good bro, go take ya fucking pills fucking american pig disgusting
>>
>>39421946
>tfw I have stood in the exact spot where that picture was taken
>>
>Therapy
>Some form of contact/combat sports

Those are pretty much what you need to do OP.
>>
>>39422171
>This

I served in combat. And by combat I mean real fucking house to house shit in ramadi at the height of the insurgency and I don't have any issues with "hypervigiilence" or PTSD. Harden the fuck up faggot
>>
File: time virgin EXPOSED.jpg (86KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
time virgin EXPOSED.jpg
86KB, 600x400px
>>39422591
I you had pulled out your dick you could have fucked her through time. Think about it for a second, for a being that was in the fourth dimension, for whom time is a variable that can be played with just like we can move through space, everything that has ever happened or will ever happen in that spot would be happening at the same time, you'd literally be in the same place at the same time, fucking. I guess what I'm saying is that you missed your chance to have time-sex with this girl, or maybe even a time-orgy, who know? But instead, you're here in the present, jerking off to her pic like the rest of us losers. You're a time-virgin and it's nobody's fault but your own.
>>
>>39422591
On the off-chance you're still here, where is it? I was trying to guess based off the scenery, but I can't.

>>39424409
>And by combat I mean real fucking house to house shit in ramadi at the height of the insurgency
With a gun in your hand and dudes to watch your back, faggot. You weren't a child being beaten by the person that should protect you.
>>
>>39424523
Kek
>>
How the fuck is this woman getting MARRIED but I can't get a second date on Tinder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzB5BCaF_Y

FFS look at 2:10. She's so big that her waist is one foot longer than the circumference of a normal people dress
>>
>>39424409
How many of your friends died in your hands? How many times did you get a limb blown off? How many times were you completely certain that you were dying and was in the process of making peace with it?

Yeah, I really didn't think so. You're such a brave and tough guy though, really. Good boy, thank you for your service, you sure saved our freedoms to consume oil-based products!
>>
>>39424523

10/10
>>
>>39421946
The same shit happened to me OP and I too have this problem. Someone once dropped a plate at a restaurant and I jumped 6 inches off the chair. I'm still working on my issues but if you can find it in yourself forgive your dad and try to get closer to him. My grandfather walked out on my dad when he was 2 and his stepdad was notoriously abusive to top it off they lived in Cuba so it was already a shit situation. The other thing is to accept the hit and learn how to fight. Growing up I basically only had female friends and two rather effeminate male friends so in college when I met some more masculine friends I had to learn how to maintain my calm around them whenever they started yelling or got physical. The other thing is your 6'4" you can fucking wreck most people if you learn how to fight. >>39424409
>>
>>39422171

>because I made it without psychological trauma, you're not allowed to suffer from it

Fuck off and acquire some basic empathy, sociopath.
>>
>>39424409
Are you Jocko Willink?
>>
>>39421946

First of all, understand that your father was a weak man.
>>
Flinch response. Find a good boxing or muay thai gym. 3 Months its gone. 6 Months you'll never be afraid of any confrontation. 1 year you've got a skill for life.
>>
>>39424523
Nice
>>
>>39421946
Did you ever tried LSD?
For me LSD equals a Shock Therapie if you are confronted with your trigger.
If you think you can handle your trigger with an multiple intensity if its only while the trip i would try it.
But this can also go horrible wrong an leave you traumatized for the rest of your live so choose wise and get yourself a decent trip sitter if you want to try it.
>>
File: 1478496211302.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1478496211302.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
>>39424409
Thank you for your cervix
>>
>>39422359
Find actual friends.
I used to have something similar, though not as bad as you, and meeting people who went from strangers to practially family has helped me get over the Idea that everyone's out to get me more than anything else.
>>
File: 1476717096148.png (822KB, 912x596px) Image search: [Google]
1476717096148.png
822KB, 912x596px
>>39421946
just be confident bro
>>
>>39422271
BLACK COFFEE
>>
>>39426387
That, or he will be check hooking people into the ER whenever they pick their nose in front of him.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.