[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bench press: barbell vs dumbbells why do 99% of people in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

File: bp.jpg (51KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
bp.jpg
51KB, 620x349px
bench press: barbell vs dumbbells

why do 99% of people in the gym do barbell presses? is it really that much better or are they lazy morons?
>>
>>39420821
It gets increasingly difficult to set up when you are using heavier weights when using dumbells.
>>
It's much easier to do progressive overload with barbell bench
/thread
>>
>>39420831
>>39420829
>it's difficult
what's the point of benching 220 with a barbell if you get more gains with lighter dumbbells?
>>
>>39420857
because it's hard to activate pecs when benching with dumbbells, and it's a fucking bitch getting 80 lb dumbbells into position to bench.
>>
When I bench dumbbells I put the weights together to decrease the load
>>
Mainly setup. In theory, dumbbell bench is better, but in practice, I can't lift heavy enough dumbbells into the starting position to be worthwhile.
>>
File: 1444083772908.gif (2MB, 187x155px) Image search: [Google]
1444083772908.gif
2MB, 187x155px
>>39420873
>80 lb dumbbells

That's it?
>>
>>39420898
that's just bad form. if they're too heavy then pick lower weights
>>
>>39420821
Not a lot of people know that dumbbell presses are better than the barbell, it doesnt matter to me because i only lift for girls
>>
>>39420873
>it's a fucking bitch getting 80 lb dumbbells into position to bench.

er... no it's not.
>>
>tfw live in a condo so free gym
>tfw heaviest dumbbell is 50lbs
Nothin wrong with 4x11 right lads
>>
>>39420926
How the fuck do you do it then?
>>
>>39420821

BB is better for strength and DB for pump and stabilizers.

I do incline DB because I'm not strong enough to do a proper weight BB and better results
>>
>>39421478
You fucking retarded nigger son of a bitch never post again on fit
>>
>>39421463
What do you mean? I lift them with my hands and proceed to do my reps until I complete my set.
>>
>>39421463
80lbs is not super heavy, but getting dumbbells in position is still pretty ez.

>sit down, place each dumbbell on each knee
>sit back and bring your legs with you to put the dumbbells in position
>lift them
>>
>>39421489
>80lbs is not super heavy
are you fucking retarded
for some people 80lbs i super heavy and for some its leight weight

do you realize this then why do you make a general statement like 80lbs is not super heavy
>>
>>39420873
Lol that's my warm up kid. Learn how to load into position properly
>>
>>39420873
>>39421463
You start with both dumbells at your side, squat down and keep back straight, grab them, squat up. Then sit down on the bench and rest the dumbells on your thighs.

I'm 5'6" and can bench 80lb dumbells.
>>
>>39421495
no 80lbs is universally light you must be pretty weak
>>
you must be a big guy
>>
>>39421517
leave this place and never come back for assuming 80lbs is heavy for me

your fucking statement is still piss shit
>>
>>39421517
Nice troll.

Whether or not 80lb dumbells are light is relative to height.
>>
>>39421478
>being this wrong
>being this confident about it
Remember /fit/, /fit/ doesn't know shit
>>
>>39421542
haha no dont u know all powalifters do the barbell XD
only bodybuilder who want to have a detailed chiseled chest look do db :)) everyone knows wtf
>>
>>39421533

no my statement is pretty correct, i think you need to do some research
>>
>>39421533
Is this the guy who has a weak af squat that went ballistic?
>>
>>39421577
everything in this fucking universie is always fucking relative to us or to yourself
80lbs i fucking heavy to a kid or moutbreathing cocksucking goblin like you are
while 80lbs i fucking easy leight weight for me

FUCK
>>39421584
this is the guy that fucked your mom AND DAD every fucking night the other day
>>
>>39421625
>every fucking night
>the other day

Can't even insult me right, shut the fook up.
>>
File: 1479155259591.jpg (22KB, 265x259px) Image search: [Google]
1479155259591.jpg
22KB, 265x259px
>>39421625
>getting this mad on a Czechoslovakian acupuncture board
>>
>>39421517
How much do you weigh?

How much can you DB bench?
>>
>>39420873
How's your first 6 months of lifting going? Sit on the bench with the dbs on your hands, swing them up on your thighs then as you lean back us your legs to throw them into place
>>
Barbell is superior if you are a believe in progressive overload like you should be.

With the barbell you can easily microload with 2.5lbs or 5lbs. With dumbbells you are basically forced to go up 10 pounds(5 pounds each arm) each time which obviously is much harder to progress unless you are on noob gains or steriods.
>>
>>39420821
for whatever reason, DB bench is massively uncomfortable for me. Incline DB is okay, but flat DB just feels all wrong, and I worry even more about fucking my shoulders up on that than I do with BB bench
>>
beside all the shitstorm happening above, I believe there are 2 points we all have to agree:
bb: progressive overloard, can control the weight way better
db: way bigger range of motion, plus, you train each side of the chest separately
>>
flat barbell bench, incline dumbbell press
>>
>>39421569
nah ,8, we powerlifters inject the creatine into the nipples. then does the push ups

The crosift use the barbell to do the lift of the bench
>>
>>39421876
My gym has dumbbells that go by 2.5 increments

Anyways I've only been lifting for a few months and I switched to DB press to mix it up a bit. However I feel it activates my shoulders a lot more than when I barbell bench, is this normal or bad form?
>>
>>39422925
It's probably just working your stabilizers more
>>
>>39421495
you have to realize that this is the internet, and people can and will inflate their own egos.
>>
>>39421500
Video of this technique?
>>
>>39420873
Lol
>>
>>39421478
Seriously,these idiots are the reason /fit/ is shit now
>>
I do barbell because

>easier progression with mini plates
>easier racking
>hits triceps better (they're lagging so my grip is a bit narrow)
>no shoulder problems (as of yet)

Incline DB press is fucking great for building big pecs though.
>>
>>39420821
my gyms dumbells only go up to 90 so I switched to barbell after I could rep them for 8
>>
>>39420938
Fuck I know this feel
>55lb master race condo
>>
>>39423539
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmB1G1K7v94
>>
>>39424645
ty based herman
>>
>>39421484

Woah dude chill out.
>>
I'm thinking of dropping barbell bench
It "pips" my right shoulder but dumbell bench doesn't

>inb4 ure form a shit
I've had multiple people check my form and they say it's good
>>
>>39425066
Pops*
Kek
>>
>>39421484
>>39421542
>>39423815

How about you three guys. You whine that /fit/ is shit now because a poster is wrong, but you don't correct him, you only throw insults.How about you make /fit/ great again?
>>
>>39421497
roidbro detected

faggot
>>
>>39426612
Dyel
>>
>>39420821
Barbell bench presses allow for more total weight, they're easier to go low reps with, they're easier to overload in small steps, they hit the triceps more.

>>39422180
Dumbell don't have a way bigger range of motion. The difference is negligible for most people.
>>
>>39425066
ure form a shit. 100% you're not arching enough.
>>
>>39426872
Not him, but arching a lot puts the shoulders in a more compromised position.
>>
>>39421489
>fart uncontrollably
>>
I always do dumbell bench and dumbell incline bench. Mainly because I had some pec imbalance in the past and trying to avoid that now. Many people will always push slightly harder with 1 side on barbell bench, almost impossible to avoid.

Also, if you cant get heavy dumbells in position for your bench, your body strenght is imbalanced
>>
>>39424645
herman is goal bod

how get
>>
>>39420821
Dumbell is superior when it comes to ROM and chest activation.
Barbell is still good for the chest but if youre not a powerlifter its not necessary and can be replaced by dumbells/dips.
>>
File: photo_zps31c6b77e.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
photo_zps31c6b77e.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
you should use a barbell, especially for low reps
you can use dumbbells for high reps and to look cool, but only if you're considered a strong guy at your gym
>>
>>39421500
>>39421517
>>39421497

I can only bench 30 pound dumbbells. Am I going to make it?

6'3 if that's relevant
>>
>>39420873
>it's hard to activate pecs when benching with dumbbells
You don't know what you're talking about. Greater ROM + freer vertical path + each side working independently = superior activation.
>>
>>39427312
Sorry bro but that guy warms up with 80 pound dumbells. Looks like youre out of luck.
>>
>>39427207
>if you cant get heavy dumbells in position for your bench, your body strenght is imbalanced

upvoted
>>
I can do 3x8 of 60lbs DB
But can't do 3x8 of 1pl8 BB

Why... most people can bb bench 1.5x their db weight
>>
>>39422180
>>39426843
ROM for db vs bb flat bench is nearly identical unless you cheat on bb with a wide grip.
>>
>>39426843
>greatest amount of stress applied and force exerted on the pecs is at the bottom of the movement, where the muscle must contract from a stretched position
>negligible

Uh huh.
>>
>>39421876
you can get 1.25 plates....
>>
its a pain in the ass for me to do it with more than 75lbs, my pr with dumbells are 95lbs for 4 reps, but my bro helped me getting the dumbells up
>>
The last time I looked research indicated that barbell bench gave greater strength gains in a given period of time, due to reduced activation of stabilising muscles.
Dumbell can be annoying to get in position.
Really the differences are slight enough it comes down to personal choice. Neither one brings significant benefit to make it objectively that much better than the other.
>>
>>39427649
>due to reduced activation of stabilising muscles
That's not the reason, bruh.
>>
>>39427744
Well then what is?
>>
>barbell is better because you can load more weights
jesus fucking christ, has there ever been a more retarded argument on this board?
>>
>>39427776
Lesser involvement of the triceps.
You can't put in any lateral force with dumbells, because they're not held together.
>>
I'm a noob at the gym, outside of cardio, with a strong paranoia that if I use the barbell I will crush my neck/head and die. Will I look like a cunt if you use dumbells for bench press? Can I replace most composite lifts with dumbell equivalents?
>>
>>39420821
Dumbbell bench press is far superior.
>>
>>39427797
>Will I look like a cunt if you use dumbells for bench press?

Like a sick cunt, sure.

Db bench press is far better than barbell for EVERYTHING except powerlifting. And that's only because it's one of the big 3 lifts.

It's literally better in every way.

>Can bench safely without spotter
>Unilateral movement which means you won't have issues with muscle imbalances/dominant arms
>Greater rom
>A lot harder to cheat
>Much better stretch in pecs
>More work on stabilizing muscles

it's just better in every way. No one can prove why Barbell bench press is done. It's just "Lol ur a fag if u dont do it BRO"

>Can I replace most composite lifts with dumbell equivalents?

Honestly, yes.

Things like squats or deadlifts will be kind of difficult though but i GUESS you could do 100lb dumbbells and go for more reps if that's all you got.
>>
>>39427792
Just looked it up and indeed you're right
>>
>>39425589
Yeah I'm curious why he's wrong desu, new to lifting here
>>
>>39427827
He's sort of right

Barbell bench press is only really useful for powerlifting.

For everything else that a regular lifter would be interested in, dumbbell is superior.
>>
>>39427845
No, not at all.

I listed most differences here >>39426843
Dumbells do allow each side to be worked independently.
>>
>>39427861
Meant to respond to >>39427827 with the second part.
>>
>>39426843
>Dumbell don't have a way bigger range of motion. The difference is negligible for most people.
rubbish, you can't believe this if you've ever done the two exercises
>>
>>39427814
Thanks for advice anon, I think I would be comfortable using barbell for squats and dead lifts since not much chance of shit going wrong.
>>
File: 13flex_efferding_dumbbells_970.jpg (61KB, 612x344px) Image search: [Google]
13flex_efferding_dumbbells_970.jpg
61KB, 612x344px
>>39427814
>>Can bench safely without spotter
THe only time I snapped my shit up was during a db bench press.
>>Unilateral movement which means you won't have issues with muscle imbalances/dominant arms
Exactly the opposite, unless your 'imbalances' are just you jacking off as your only previous activity. Having a body with imbalances means you'll rip shit up when you least expect it.
>>Greater rom
yes
>>A lot harder to cheat
Exactly the same on both, m8.
>>Much better stretch in pecs
yes
>>More work on stabilizing muscles
Yes, but that's unnecessary, unless you don't actually do anything other than bodybuilding and shitposting.
>>
>>39427861
And??? These are completely negligible.

>Barbell bench presses allow for more total weight

Why is total weight the most important thing? Muscle activation is more important unless you're literally a powerlifter trying to put up as much weight as you possibly can for which you arch your back like a fucking monkey

>they're easier to go low reps with

Why would the average trainee ever need to go low reps?

The goal of 99% of people who lift is: General strength and muscle development.

>they're easier to overload in small steps

Only valid point. But just do more reps. For example: When you can do 12 reps of a weight easily, up it and go back down to 6-8 reps.

>they hit the triceps more.

You can just do tricep isolations.

What you said about not having a sigificantly higher ROM is just plain idiotic and makes me believe you've never done a dumbbell press.
>>
>>39427902
>Exactly the same on both, m8.
how do you cheat with dumbbells?
most people in my gym bounce the barbell off their tits though
>>
>>39427317
>Greater ROM
Not really, the extra angle you get with DBs takes the tension off your chest, ROM is pretty similar between DB and barbell bench.
>>
>>39427902
>THe only time I snapped my shit up was during a db bench press.

Well you're a retard then. Why is it relevant?

>Exactly the opposite, unless your 'imbalances' are just you jacking off as your only previous activity. Having a body with imbalances means you'll rip shit up when you least expect it.

Wat?

When you do a barbell movement you could be pressing signficiantly harder with one half of your body. It would be VERY hard to notice and fix this, especially when it's minor doing barbell bench.

On dumbbells you can quite clearly see that one of your arms isn't able to lift the weight as the other is. Easy to spot and fix.

>Yes, but that's unnecessary, unless you don't actually do anything other than bodybuilding and shitposting.

How is it unnecessary? Your stabilizing muscles are tremendously important
>>
>>39421463
On flat bench just grab them, sit down and place them on your thighs, then lay down and pull them across your body. Maybe its difficult on incline or shoulder press, but flat db bench is izi
>>
>>39421489
I hope u talk about less than 25lbs dbs, otherwise switch to bb asap
>>
>>39427896
Honestly just do dumbbell bench press.

Even Mark Rippetoe - the ultimate preacher of barbell lifts has said he deems the Dumbbell bench press much better in everything except powerlifting.

""" In fact, the dumbbell version of the exercise, which actually predates the barbell version due to its less specialized equipment requirements, is probably a better exercise for most purposes other than powerlifting competition. This is especially true if the weights used are sufficiently heavy, challenging the ability of the lifter to actually finish a set. """
>>
>>39427916
>how do you cheat with dumbbells?
- Change the vertical path to always favour your strong points, which is impossible with barbells; you either start and finish wide, or narrow.
- Clang the dbs together at the top to shorten ROM, while fooling yourself that you're doing full range of motion.

Also, bouncing the barbell is cheating only if you're doing babyweight.
If you're lifting heavy, it means you hate your sterum and want to die. Try bouncing anything heavy off your chest and see if you live.
>>
>>39427969
>If you're lifting heavy, it means you hate your sterum and want to die. Try bouncing anything heavy off your chest and see if you live.

People do it all the time.

Or arch their back such that they have 4 inch rom
>>
>>39427879
>>39427910
People have different body proportions, mate.
I can barely get the bar to touch my chest, and I'm at the outer limits of my mobility.
(And no, I don't have tight shoulders, my PT even told me I'm almost hypermobile in them)

Most people I've seen are already pretty close to how far they can go just by touching the bar to the chest.
If you feel like you can get a significantly bigger range of motion with dumbells, go for it.

Total weight (through a large range of motion!, so not using a big arch) is important because why do ten exercises when you can do one?
Remember that most people don't want to spend three hours a day in the gym.
Also greatest systemic overload, blabla.

For optimal strength and size gains, using both high and low reps is better.
Low reps is particularly handy to gain strength and size rapidly as a novice.
You don't *need* to go low reps, just like you don't *need* to go high reps.

Again, why do more exercises when you can just do a few compounds?
Also, triceps isolations are harder on the elbows than compounds.

In conclusion, do whatever the fuck you want. It won't matter much.
If you're unsure, do both.
>>
>>39427931
>Wat?
>When you do a barbell movement you could be pressing signficiantly harder with one half of your body. It would be VERY hard to notice and fix this, especially when it's minor doing barbell bench.
>On dumbbells you can quite clearly see that one of your arms isn't able to lift the weight as the other is. Easy to spot and fix.
Only if you're a cripple with no proprioception.

With a barbell you can keep the bar path level.
Corrective excercises for people with imbalances are done with a barbell for a reason.

>How is it unnecessary? Your stabilizing muscles are tremendously important
You train your stabilisers by actually using them throughout the day.
If your only stimulus is through fucking dumbell training, than you're already fucked beyond redemption.
>>
>>39428010
>Corrective excercises for people with imbalances are done with a barbell for a reason.

They literally aren't.

You can be pressing the bar up more with one side of your body and your other half could simply be holding it up (if that makes sense)
>>
>>39427814
>Unilateral movement which means you won't have issues with muscle imbalances/dominant arms
I wish this were true, lad.
>>
>>39427979
>People do it all the time.
You see people bouncing 400+lbs off their chest all the time?
>>
>>39428021
Yes and the result will be not working on your imbalance. Somebody can tell you about your imbalance and you focus on that.

With dumbells, the result will be a torn rotator cuff.
>>
File: pepe-crying.jpg (40KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-crying.jpg
40KB, 550x550px
>>39420821
nearly 100 posts and /fit/ still can't decide which one is better, fucking hell.
>>
>>39428103
Try both, see which you like more

Personally I love everything about db press.
>>
>>39428103
Neither is better, they're both fine.
>>
>>39428127
Since I hit chest 2x a week i already do this, senpai. Best of both worlds regardless which is better.
>>
when you boys say 80lbs, is that altogether or each?
>>
File: 214.jpg (33KB, 615x630px) Image search: [Google]
214.jpg
33KB, 615x630px
Dumbbells only go up to 105
That's not enough weight

Checkm8
>>
>>39428163
That's a lot of weight to press with good form, for reps...
>>
>>39428152
each
>>
File: 1477563071649.jpg (48KB, 590x582px) Image search: [Google]
1477563071649.jpg
48KB, 590x582px
>>39421463
You are weak.

https://youtu.be/4_pZ-CKo-pk?t=198
>>
>>39428180
Not really. I press the 95s (pounds) on incline for reps after flat benching
>>
>>39428216
That's pretty strong
>>
>>39428243
Im 26 and have been lifting for 8 years. I should be db shoulder pressing the 95s by now but I became a raging alcoholic for 2 years, didnt lift and lost all my gains
>>
File: 1478918549651.png (729KB, 793x796px) Image search: [Google]
1478918549651.png
729KB, 793x796px
>>39420873
HAHAHAHA
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.