[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stretching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

What are the benefits of stretching?
Are there any directly related to the amount of gains you get?
Do you stretch? Why / Why not?
>>
>>39374324
You stretch to avoid injury. The less injurys you have the more you can work out. Why is this a thread?
>>
>>39374341
I saw some study that there were no proof of people injure less because of stretching
>>
>>39374378
>I saw some study
>Scientists have said
>I don't know shit but want to sound smart
>>
>>39374341
Stretching actually increase injury chance if done before slightly. This comes from my Navy doctor friend.
Stretching does however increase range of motion
>>
>>39374341
>>39375137
he's right. the evidence for stretching preventing injuries is lacking/conflicting. just because something is part of the conventional wisdom doesn't mean it's true.
>>
>>39374341
because of idiots like you. studies show static stretching slightly increases injury chance. dynamic stretches are good but quite unnecessary as doing the lifts with full ROM acts as a dynamic stretch itself

the only benefit is increased flexibility. unless you /owg/, you probably dont need that.
>>
>>39374324
Increased flexibility helps deadlift, squat, bench and especially OHP
>>
>>39374378
If that's the study I'm thinking of, it's talking about before the workout.
Which is true, don't do end range static stretching before working out. It makes your muscles weaker and vulnerable.
And you do not need super levels of flexibility to prevent injury.
What you should do is stretch after to increase your range of motion. This protects the muscles because your muscles will not reflexively contract when they get extended, and they will be better able to produce force in extended positions.
Full ROM exercises will give a good stretch, as well as strengthen the muscles in those end ranges where they are vulnerable. You can also do contract relax techniques.
Just remember that stretching does not lengthen the muscle. It decreases the bodies natural, reflective muscle contraction that happens the muscle is put in a new and unaccustomed to range. This is why it's just as important to have muscles that are strong through the whole range of motion as it is to have a sufficient ROM.
>>
>>39375376
> This protects the muscles because your muscles will not reflexively contract when they get extended, and they will be better able to produce force in extended positions.
...youre saying stretch reflex is a bad thing?
>>
>>39375440
Not at all. Read Pavel's book, Relax into Stretching, he talks about this.
The stretch reflex is useful. Old time strongmen avoided stretching so they could use it. But they were more injury prone for it.
You can use a stretch reflex simply by hitting the end range of your muscle and bouncing out of it. And if you simply do static stretching, you may develop muscles that are simply weak and loose at their end range. But if you develop strength through the whole ROM, you can consciously tap into that strength, and use it to help your lifts, and to protect yourself from injury. Something like loaded progressive stretching tries to develop this.
>>
>>39375468
>But they were more injury prone for it.
[citation needed]
>Something like loaded progressive stretching tries to develop this.
or... lifting with full rom?
>>
>>39375499
I don't have a scientific study for it lol but I generally trust what Pavel says.
And yes, lifting with full ROM will develop the mobility you need if you just want to be able to lift. Rippletits talks about this as well, that you loaded lifts are probably the best mobility work for a lifter.
>>
>>39374324

stretching before decreases power

there was some study done on some BBC documentary, couldnt jump as high if stretched before
>>
>>39374324
i stretch a lot and for lifting the only advantage I noticed is that my range of motion is not limited during any lift.
Further advantages are being able to be in the lotus position for meditation and doing cool stuff like splits.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.