[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the correct range of motion for a bench press? Should I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: aaaaa.jpg (52KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.jpg
52KB, 960x960px
Whats the correct range of motion for a bench press?
Should I still touch it to my chest if I have long arms or is perp enough?
I want size and dont want to be a powerlifter
pic unrelated
>>
>>39331834

Touching chest is ideal provided it doesn't cause any shoulder pain/issues (which it generally won't with proper scapular positioning, but that isn't guaranteed).

If you can't touch chest for some reason you should at least use a floor or board press to keep ROM consistent.
>>
>>39331834

If you don't touch your chest and if you don't lock it out, it's not a rep. If it hurts your babby shoulders, you should work on your mobility.
>>
>>39331834
Take this with a grain of salt, but from my own experience plus what I've read, taller dudes with longer arms need not break 90 degrees. I'm 6'4" so my arms are pretty long, and if I go past 90 degree bends on my bench, my rotator cuffs get fucked. On the other hand, my best friend is 5'11 and gets within an inch of his chest or so.

For me to get to chest, I have to make my grip fairly wide, and I don't get the ROM I'd prefer.
>>
>>39331987
So basically both you and your friend are DYEL as fuck and can't bench and have shit mobility. Also, lol at being afraid of making your grip wide due to ROM. YOU ALREADY HAVE SHIT ROOM you quarter-repper.

OP, please ignore his post.
>>
>>39331987
this is bullshit

i'm 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan and i touch chest with every single rep

you won't find someone with worse bench mechanics than me in the world except maybe Manute Bol, but that is not an excuse to perform the exercise incorrectly

touch your fucking chest you pussy, and learn the correct technique so your shoulders don't bother you
>>
>>39331834
to be honest.. drumpf looks like he staged this
I've been a lifelong drumpf supporter ever since he went down those escalators, but he's looking desperate and doing whatever he can to gain attention. Very narcissistic. He lost me.
>>
>>39331834
> tfw I remember a kid from high school
> Chad Walden
> manlet hockey player who was slamming the qt3.14 I had a crush on
> they break up and he messages me on Facebook telling me to "go for it, bro"
> "n-no, it's o-okay, Chad, I respect her too much to take advantage of the situation"
> "lol whatever bro"
>>
if it doesn't touch your chest it doesn't fucking count. Shoulder mobility work + face pulls to strengthen rotators
>>
>>39331834
Proper form should allow you to touch the bar to your chest with floor press
Bring your chest up to the bar, and squeeze the everliving fuck out of your scapula
>>
>>39332860

That's incredibly dependent on proportions. Most long-armed lifters aren't going to have the bar touch when floor pressing unless they're especially fat and/or flexible.
>>
>>39332120
Same bot posting in random threads, pol is right ctr is in panic mode
>>
>>39332191
jesus, reminds me of earlier today

>in line at starbucks
>manlet mexican and his girl, she's a solid 8/10, he's a solid foot shorter than me
>she doesn't even glance at me
>get my pumpkin spice latte and leave
how can he get a gf and I can't :(
>>
>>39332119
>6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan
Demarkus plz go
>>
>>39333008

Because he doesn't post on a chinese sweater knitting forum.
>>
You should always use the largest range of motion. More ROM = more muscles used = more stimulation = more gains.

Only powerlifters might try to reduce ROM because less ROM means generally easier means more weight (which is the point)

For a non powerlifter, bench like this:
Slight arch for stability and leg drive
Shoulder blades together through the whole lift, don't pull them forward at lockout.
Grip so that forearms perpendicular to floor and upper arms ~45° from body (when going down, I.e. halfway through ROM)
Lock arms out at the top
Touch chest at the bottom (probably somewhere between nipples and end of ribcage)

That being said, the bench press is not the best exercise for building chest, as it is a whole body strength movement. You might be able to get better stimulation by benching with a flat back and touching very high towards your collarbones, but that is the way you fuck up your shoulders.

You should bench, but if your chest is lacking, dumbbell flies, cables and pec deck are probably better ideas to build your chest up.
>>
Been lifting for just month. When I benchpress I have random clicking in my joints (elbow/shoulders). Is this because of bad form? I really try to focus on my form over everything, and i'm concerned that this might be something more serious.

How do I work on shoulder mobility? Is it because my body is DYEL all over?
>>
>>39333090
i'm white

>>39333345
flat bench probably is the best exercise for building chest, just needs to be done in a high enough volume

all that other shit is nice too but throw it in afterwards
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.