[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Routine Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1477098381068.jpg (48KB, 383x500px) Image search: [Google]
1477098381068.jpg
48KB, 383x500px
So, I've been doing SL 5x5 now for 6 months, and I'm finally seeing my gains slow down, however I am happy with all my lifts.

My questions to you guys are these:

1) Is PPL a good progression from SL 5x5, and as long as I continue to progressively overload, will I continue to get stronger?

2) Will PPL have a greater effect on muscle mass due to the accessories, and how much difference can I expect to see?

3) What ab exercises do you guys do (inb4 fork putdowns hurr hurr)?

I am currently 6'1, 93kg (205lbs) and about 18% BF. I started at 72kg (158lbs) skelly mode.

Also, I will post my routine in the next post, please rate it and let me know if anything should be altered or changed, and if so, what and preferably why aswell.

Thanks a ton, guys - I couldn't have made it this far without you.
>>
This is the PPL routine I am looking at doing, any and all advice welcome and appreciated, but please mention in your post why you think things should be altered or changed. Thanks guys.

Push:
Overhead Press 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Close-Grip Bench Press 3x8-10
Chest Flyes 3x8-10
Reverse Flyes 3x8-10
Lateral Raises 3x8-10
Front Raises 3x8-10
Tricep Extensions 3x8-10
Pushups 3xF
Dips 3xF

Pull:
Deadlifts 1x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Shrugs 3x8-10
Kroc Rows 3x8-10
Bicep Curls 3x8-10
Hammer Curls 3x8-10
Dumbbell Curls 3x8-10
Pull-Ups 3xF
Chin-Ups 3XF

Legs & Core:
Squats 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x5
Hack Squats 3x8-10
Calf Raises 3x8-10
Glute Bridge/Hip Thrust 3x8-10
Hanging Leg Raises 3x8-10
Russian Twists 3x8-10
Crunches 3x15
Front Plank 30secs (+10 secs each workout)
Stomach Vaccuums 3x15

WARM-UP WITH HIIT ON EXERCISE BIKE
INCREASE SQUATS AND UPPER-BODY LIFTS BY 2.5KG
INCREASE DEADLIFTS BY 5KG
INCREASE ISOLATIONS WHEN POSSIBLE
>>
Just try it out and see for yourself ffs. You're already more advanced than most people on /fit/ for moving off a beginner program.
>>
>>39206327
B-but you guys are all 6'7 300lbs 2%BF...right?
>>
Do you plan to do it PxPxLxx or PPLPPLx ?

Far too many isolation exercises.
>>
>>39206478
PPLPPLx but if I happen to feel beat for a week or have a lot of work to do, I might drop it back to 3 or 4 days and step it up the next week after.
I'll play it by ear.

What do you mean by "too many" isolations? Can you explain as to why you think that? Which would you remove?
>>
>>39206504
You don't need an isolation exercise for every muscle every day. Barbell compound lifts should be the bread and butter, always.
Do maybe 1-3 isolation exercises per day. And those don't need to be programmed very strictly. I'm on mobile, when I get home in 30min or so ill explain in more detail.
>>
>>39206572
I was just keeping in mind that some muscles require more attention to grow, it's not as if equal amounts of volume are going to work for both your Quads and your Triceps, when they are totally different sizes. Your Quads will need rest every couple of days, but your triceps can get blasted on the daily almost.

So, I tried to structure my routine around blasting all the different tricep heads, and just give the muscles that SL seems to gloss over and a good working out. I figure, if done correctly, with optimal sleep and diet that I should see a carryover to the main lifts anyway.

It might seem like a lot, but if you look at it closely, it's really only 1 or 2 isolations per muscle group.

Let me know when you get home, I'd like to hear more.
>>
>>39206572
Keep in mind, the barbell compounds are my main lifts, hence the 3x5 rep scheme for them to start out every workout. The accessory work is to work my smaller muscle groups harder, and hit them twice a week at that volume. I figure with good protein intake and lots of rest I should see a big size increase to most of them within a few weeks.
>>
>>39206292

you have way too many isolation movements and accessory movements per day. generally speaking, you should be picking 3-6 main compound movements, like squat, bench, ohp, deadlift, weighted chins, or rows, and work on getting stronger on those while using accessory movements to complement those and isolations to hit neglected spots or build muscle in desirable areas. there's no reason for you to be doing 2 types of rows, 3 types of curls, chin ups, and pull ups in one workout.
>>
>>39206292
When you do a main lift, it should make the muscles involved tired. If you try to do bench, close-grip bench, and flies back to back to back like that you're either going to be lifting ten pounds on the last two, or youre going to have to bench less than you should so youre able to do more on the last two. Main problem is you have way too many isolations.
>>
>>39206609
Are you a troll or just very new to this? You probably aren't going to have any visible difference in muscle size after a few weeks.
>>
>>39206671
About to hit 7 months in, and wanting to try PPL, but I only have access to free weights, no machines or cables. So I threw this together and did a bit of Google-fu, and then thought I'd ask /fit/ to lend a hand.

What particular exercises would you remove/replace and why?
>>
File: 10980980982.gif (3MB, 257x212px) Image search: [Google]
10980980982.gif
3MB, 257x212px
>>39206282
op dont listen to the dyels in this thread, they are all a bunch of pussies who have 2 months of fuckarounditis under their belt and think they are powerlifting experts because they got in an argument with isley once.

that is a good amount of volume ASSUMING you get a good amount of sleep and your diet is dialed in.

sure it will take a long time in the gym, and it will make you sore as fuck, but if you do it with consistency and dont give up because its tough you will make mad gainz off it.

anyone saying otherwise is just a pussy who can't do more than one isolation after benching 100lbs

this place is getting worse by the minute, its sad as fuck

ps. look up coolcicadas PPL it has about the same amount of volume as yours, these dyels are just being crabs in a bucket, they don't work this hard so they dont like seeing someone else do it because it lets them know how lazy they are being and why they dont get the gainz they want

itt:lazy skellys, fat fucks, and dyel shitposters
>>
>>39206893
Thanks man, sometimes I think the same thing. Maybe different people are just capable of pushing themselves to different limits. I've been doing SL 5x5 for 6 months and never felt particular sore after a workout and I put on 20kg and my lifts all basically tripled, so I don't know.

I'm listening to all opinions though.

I'd like to know how effective it is, I feel like maybe some things like Hammer Curls on top of Dumbbell Curls is a bit pointless.

Has anyone got suggestions what they would remove/replace and why?
>>
>>39206597
Alright:

You should not structure your program aorund "blasting all the different tricep heads". You should structure your program around increasing the amount of weight that you lift on the big compounds, i.e. Squat, Bench, OHP, Deadlift, Row (Clean and Snatch if you're into oly) and Dips, Pullups/Chinups.

Second are assistance exercises, which are usually variations of the main lifts. I.e. incline bench, front squat, stiff legged deadlift, push press, paused lifts, etc.

Isolation or Accessory exercises are the last on the list. They really should not matter much at all. You can and should go by feel on those. And I would personally even say don't write them into your program and just do a couple of sets at the end of your workout if you have some time left and feel like you need a bit more stimulation. And you can do them pretty freely and don't need to fit them perfectly into your plan (you can do a couple of curls on leg day if you want)

And finally, Abs and Calves are imo a category on their own. Because you probably should work them a bit every day. That doesn't mean a 5 exercise, 100 rep ab circuit and 5 different calf raises, but just like other isolation, 1 exercise with a few sets at the end of your workout.

All that being said, the most important part is that you enjoy going to the gym. Consistency is the key to making progress, and enjoyment is the key to being consistent.

Basically, this is what I would do for isolation:
1 ab exercise: 3 sets, 8+ reps
1 calf exercise: 3 sets, 15+ reps
1-2 arm/shoulder isolation (i.e. bicep/tricep superset): 3 sets, 8+ reps
I would do the above every day or every other day, independently of what PPL day is.
E.g. alternating calves/abs with arms/shoulders or everything every day.

Small muscle groups like arms, abs and calves can take much higher frequency than legs or chest.
>>
>>39206282
Here is the download link for the book in OP's pic.
megadownloder com/592158
>>
>>39206915

pick one type of row, one type of curl, either weighted dips or cgbp, only do one of either either chins or pull-ups on one day, but you can alternate them, and you can drop front raises, push-ups, and tricep extensions altogether. I would also drop everything on leg day except for squats, a posterior chain movement, and one or two core movements
>>
>>39207006
As for the main lifts, I'd add some variation. I.e. don't do 3x5 every time.
Also, the deadlift is more of a Leg lift than a pull. Though I guess for a PPL it still makes sense as a Pull

Push 1:
Bench Press 3x5
OHP 3x10
Dips
Abs + Calves

Pull 1:
Pendlay Row 3x5
Pullups 3xF
Arms + Shoulders

Legs 1:
Squat 3x5
RDL
Abs + Calves

Push 2:
OHP 3x5
Incline Bench 3x10
Arms + Shoulders

Pull 2:
Deadlift 3x5
Chinups
Abs + Calves

Legs 2:
Front Squat 4x8
Glute Bridge
Arms + Shoulders

Basically 2-3 main lifts and 2-3 accessories every day.

A few things:
Never do front raises. Your front delts get more than enough work with all the pressing you do.
You should probably do face pulls or band pull-aparts regularly for shoulder health
>>
>>39206282
The author of the book, Frederic Delavier is a HUGE meme within the francosphere.

Basically a fitness/biology equivalent to Alex Jones.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.