[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obesity is genetic.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 10

File: fat-ugly-feminist-1024x655.jpg (153KB, 1024x655px) Image search: [Google]
fat-ugly-feminist-1024x655.jpg
153KB, 1024x655px
obesity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2570383/

IQ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

Both have a heritability of around 0.75.

Don't listen to /fit/ fags. Obesity is as heritable as IQ.

>b-b-b-but muh diets and exercise.
>ppl weren't fat 50 years ago!

Who cares? IQ also went up over the past 50 years, and recently started to decline, all because of environmental factors. That doesn't mean that IQ isn't heritable.

Now, a lot of you fags will probably misinterpret where I'm coming from and think that since fatties can't help it, they deserve compassion or something. In fact, the opposite is true. They are genetically inferior, and should be put in fucking death camps.

We need to spread this meme. When you look at a fatty, you are not looking at some kind of moral failure who just can't put down the fork, you are looking someone who is neurologically inferior for genetic reasons who should be put down like a defective animal in a fucking gas chamber.
>>
That's why obese ppl should not be allowed to reproduce.
>>
>>39204638
Exactly.
>>
Its still 100% controllable. You just have a different hand to play. 100% your responsibility.
>>
>>39204644
You're right Anon. Someone born with an IQ of 60 just has to study harder to win the Nobel Prize in Physics. It's completely within their control, and they are the intellectual equal of Einstein if they access their true potential.
>>
>>39204640
Thankfully transhumanism is coming, and with him, his buddy eugenism, so the new babies won't have the 'fat gene'
>>
>>39204617
>children have a same body type as their parents
>parents aren't the ones who feed their kids of anything
>>
>>39204650
Fatties will destroy every healthcare system on the planet before that happens.

>>39204652
>I am retarded and I don't know what adoption studies are and I didn't read the paper.
>>
>Twins reared apart (e.g. Bouchard, 1990) find a significant shared environmental influence, of at least 10% going into late adulthood.
>>
>>39204649
Except thats an apple to oranges comparison. Simple calories in calories out, yes some maybe predisposed to keeping fat on their body, but you cant fight physics
>>
>>39204678
Okay fag, then why did average IQ go up 15 points in the 20th century? Explain that, faggot.
>>
>>39204617
>obease people cant help it
>we should kill them anyways

dang man welcome to the trollercoster good job this will piss off /fit and haes ppl at the same time maybe package it a bit better
>>
>>39204617
You dont inherit fat, you at most inherit the lack of will to stop eating even when you know its killing you

Fat people and smokers should just be killed desu
>>
>>39204684
School system. Compare books from school form begining and end of the century.
>>
>>the physical mass of the amount of calories you have consumed is heritable

kys
>>
>>39204728
Oh wow so you admit you are wrong.

>Environmental factors can raise IQ guys, and IQ is highly heritable.

>Environmental factors raised obesity rates guys, and obesity is highly heritable.

>>39204745

>I can't read, the post.
>>
>>39204751
>Oh wow so you admit you are wrong.
Weren't you arguing that it's muh genetics?
>>
>>39204761
Yes faggot, just as much as IQ. Now are you going to read the paper or keep shitposting.
>>
>>39204617
>A commonly expressed belief of people who are naturally lean is that, as they find little difficulty in controlling their weight, they are puzzled as to how people who are obese have “let that happen to themselves” and therefore assume that this is some sort of adverse life choice born of moral weakness. Whereas there is no doubt that emotional stresses and other factors can predispose to overeating, it is crucial that we recognize that the drive to eat varies enormously between people, with a strong genetic underpinning for that variability. Because of this, the conscious effort that needs to be made by the obese to slim down to a normal body weight is likely to be far greater than that required for a naturally lean person to remain so.

So there's this thing called discipline, and the more one cultivates it by doing things known to be unpleasant but beneficial, the easier those tasks are to endure. Eventually, as the habit is formed over the span of many years, it becomes a natural part of one's lifestyle. AN INABILITY TO EXERCISE DISCIPLINE AND CONTROL ONE'S ACTIONS FOR POSITIVE PURPOSES IS THE DEFINITION OF MORAL WEAKNESS. The degree of 'effort' required is fucking irrelevant when we're talking about *NOT* doing something.

Pic related, what fucking willpower looks like.
>it is crucial that we recognize that the drive to not set oneself on fire and burn to death varies enormously between people, and uh, muh conscious effort!
>>
>>39204617
so mental traits are confirmed heritable, so mental traits determine likelyhood of obesity in today's shitty food environment?

I don't see how this means its ok to be fat, just eat right even if it's against your nature. sitting all day, studying, lifting, its all against our nature. just level the fuck up anyways.
>>
>>39204777
Your little quote doesn't contradict the paper.

>>39204779
>I don't see how this means its ok to be fat

No one in this thread is arguing that. You are arguing against redditors that aren't here. Shut up.
>>
>>39204773
First you say its genetics, than you say I'm wrong because I admit it's not genetics, but enviroment and now you're back with genetics. I have no idea what you're on about.
>>
>>39204799
inheriting the tendency towards alcoholism doesn't make someone genetic trash, it makes them trash if they give in. same with being fat.

deriving worth or pride from your genetics is subhuman. grow up and live your life.
>>
>>39204801
You don't understand me because you don't know what heritability is.

>>39204824
>deriving worth or pride from your genetics is subhuman.

There is nothing a person can do that is worth being proud about without being genetically gifted.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>39204799
are you really so dense that you don't see what the quote from the paper implies by framing its message as it does? It tries exceptionally hard to weasel out of plainly stating that, yes, overeating to the point of obesity IS AN ADVERSE LIFE CHOICE BORN OF MORAL WEAKNESS.
>>
>>39204684
Nutrition you dumb nigger. Can't develop brains if you don't have rich enough food.
>>
>>39204777
agree, letting genetics determine someones worth is garbage. be proud of your culture if you want but considering fatties to be genetically inferior as some pat on your back for being born the way you were is garbage and fosters underachievement.
>>
Very interesting. I guess that millions of people spontaneously developed this obesity gene mutation at roughly the same time in the 1970s since their parents and ancestors were not obese.
>>
>>39204835
confirmed for not understanding hard work vs talent.

confirmed never going to make it.

try again next time, and try not to be too depressed over any genetic flaws you or your parents have.
>>
>>39204838
So some scientists did some work, and proved that obesity isn't caused by moral weakness, but Mr. Anon with a Broscience Degree from the University of Shitposting thinks that his opinion is more important, even though it is backed up by no evidence?

Do bears have a phase of "moral weakness" when they stuff themselves to get fat for winter, or is that biologically caused?

>>39204840
Okay, so you admit that obesity is just as heritable as IQ. Great.

>>39204841
>be proud of your culture

>muh culture
>muh arbitrary superstitions that I have because my peers forced them on me at any time, which change with public opinion and have nothing to do with what I actually am

>>39204854
>Very interesting. I guess that millions of people spontaneously developed this higher IQ gene mutation at roughly the same time in the 20th century since their parents and ancestors were stupid.

You are an idiot.

>>39204855

A midget can do all the "hard work" they want, but they will never be as good of a basketball player who is 6'6" because they had tall parents and basic basketball training.

Kys tabula rasa faggot.
>>
>>39204877
>>
>>39204617
So where are the Ethiopian kids with inherited obesity?
>>
>>39204954
Africans actually have higher obesity rates once you put them in first world countries.
>>
>>39204965
in the words of a modern day poet:
Rap critics that say he's Money, Cash, Hoes
I'm from the hood, stupid! What type of facts are those?
If you grew up with holes in your zapatos
You'd celebrate the minute you was having dough
>>
>>39204617
How do you explain people who lost weight then?
>>
>>39204999
95% of them gain it back

Also, why do they get fat in the first place?

Why do some people live in obesogenic countries like America, but never get fat?

If you read the paper, you will know that it's not a "moral failing" caused by hating God or not loving Jesus enough. Its because some people are born pigs.
>>
>>39204617

That's not what heritability means.
Heritability is the proportion of variance in a population that is accounted by allelice variation within the population.

It doesn't mean that a single individual's obesity is 70% due to genes and 30% due to environment.

>>39204999

That doesn't contradict the findings, see above.
>>
>>39204965
Because they aren't used to it.
Most aboriginal people are diabetic, because they couldn't handle when the white man introduced em to sugar. Just weren't evolved to deal with it
>>
>>39205006
Are people born alcoholics too?

Or do they become them?
>>
>>39204877
except even they didn't claim to prove that obesity isn't caused by moral weakness. Read the paper, retard.

>The very high heritability of adiposity suggests that the reasons for those inter-individual differences in susceptibility are likely to have a biological rather than a moral explanation.

Of course, that's just more weasel language from the authors. Most people are not self-critical and will follow paths of least resistance and least discomfort, like lower animals (such as bears). Very nearly everyone, however, can be trained to self-critique and to perform difficult and unpleasant tasks. They are not biologically incapable of this behavior, and their ability to conceptualize and act on intellectual and abstract ideas separates them from animals.

To use honest language, a 'biological susceptibility' to adiposity would refer to the chemical processes of fat storage and not the mental characteristics that lead to poor behavior, which are really a manifestation of poor training.
>>
>>39205006
> 95% of people gain weight meme.

If you excluded all the juice toxin meme diets that were in no way sustainable, that number drops
>>
Food addiction and it's physical ramifications can be passed onto children the same as any other addiction? Shocker.
>>
>>39205014

Basically. Children of alcoholics generally have a genetic predisposition for alcoholism and have to be very careful how they conduct themselves or they could fall into addiction much easier than normal kids.
>>
>be fat
>can't be thin because of muh genetics
>only consume 1000kcals a day
>don't lose weight because muh genetics
>body is literally breaking the laws of thermodynamics
>government scientists abduct you in the night to learn the secret of how to create/destroy energy and matter

OP you're a fucking retard

>hurrr durrr IQ is heritable so that means being fat is as well
>>
>>39205014
>Are people born alcoholics too?

Yes.Why do you think alcoholism varies by race and ethnicity?

>>39205020

No. Try reading real science instead of making shit up.

>>39205012
Great, so you admit that genetics contributes to obesity.

>>39205016
Lol, your quote proves my exact point that they don't believe obesity to be a moral failing.

>blah blah blah broscience

Come back when you are published in a medical journal.

>>39205029
Most people on 4chan will accept this as true, but the moment you tell them it applies to food they freak out because then they don't get to moralize and be in control.
>>
>>39205037
>>body is literally breaking the laws of thermodynamics

Confirmed for not reading the paper.
>>
>>39205054
nah i didn't read it. if fatties eat less they will lose weight.
>>
>>39205042
man this reminds me
I need to write a paper on exercise causing cancer
I'm pretty sure I could easily find enough studies to support it, just run some statistics and find where IGF-1 or testosterone or something that's being used as the meme cancer risk biomarker is being increased by it
money for years
>>
also
obesity isn't fucking heritable, predisposition for obesity is
failing to control that is like a moron with predisposition to the beetus eating nothing but candy or someone who has a history of mental illnesses doing psychoactive drugs
your own fucking fault in the end, at least obesity is not irreversible
>>
>>39205042
>>Are people born alcoholics too?
>Yes.Why do you think alcoholism varies by race and ethnicity?

Culture and upbringing

I'm Russian and I drink alcohol once every few months at most. Was I born an alcoholic too or would I simply become one if I drank every day?
>>
>>39205042
eating at a caloric deficit causes weight loss, Yes or no?
>>
>>39204751
You are stupid
You go back on your own God damn point
>>
>>39205083
>obesity isn't fucking heritable, predisposition for obesity is

Lol same thing with IQ dipshit. Fucking retards in this thread I swear.

>>39205087
Asiatic Russians have lower alcoholism rates than Caucasian Russians. Checkmate.

>>39205093
Yes faggot, but pigs don't eat caloric deficits. That's the whole point of the paper. Read it.

>>39205102

No you're stupid. You don't know what heritability means, so you are hopelessly confused.

You think that there is a gene that makes you 6 feet tall in all environmental conditions. You are an uneducated dipshit.
>>
>>39204617
Obesity isn't heritable, kids are fat because their fat fucking parents stuff them with food, you retard
>>
>>39204684
It's called the Flynn effect
>>
>>39205122
So what's your point? Controlling predisposition for obesity is literally just controlling one very well known and thoroughly defined factor. Failing to do that makes you highly self-destructive and possibly retarded. I bet people that are predisposed to mental illnesses would be extremely happy if someone told them "you'll never get manic depression if you don't do X".
>>
>>39205138
>Obesity isn't heritable

Literally can't read.

>>39205145

Oh, so I guess there could be something like the Fat Effect for obesity? Thanks for agreeing with me.

>>39205175

Predisposition for obesity is what was measured in the experiments. Why would they control for it?

> I bet people that are predisposed to mental illnesses would be extremely happy if someone told them "you'll never get manic depression if you don't do X".

This is exactly what /fit/ does to fat people. Instead of medical intervention, which is necessary for obesity and mental illness, /fit/ tells them to have more willpower and not do X.
>>
>>39205042
>Most people on 4chan will accept this as true, but the moment you tell them it applies to food they freak out because then they don't get to moralize and be in control.
lolwut?
In an ideal world, no one would become an alcoholic, even if genetically predisposed to it. People who are predisposed to it will still be incredibly unhealthy if they succumb to it, and should never ever entertain delusions to the contrary.
Likewise, being fat is fucking unhealthy. If someone's predisposed to it, that sucks and hopefully they can manage it well enough. But that doesn't at all justify the fat acceptance bullshit people peddle.
Being predisposed to obesity doesn't mean your body magically creates fat out of nowhere no matter what you eat, it just means that staying slim will be much harder because your body craves calories like a junkie. Being predisposed doesn't negate any of the many health hazards that come with being fat. It doesn't make being fat inevitable. It doesn't make being fat something beautiful or socially acceptable.
It's a fucking epidemic and it needs to be stamped out. Instead, we're throwing up our arms and coding a series of bad choices onto our childrens' genetics.

Being predisposed isn't an excuse to slack off, it's the opposite, it's a powerful NEED to NOT slack off where other people have the luxury of doing so. Fat activists seem to understand this concept when it comes to the extra effort it takes them to complete everyday tasks compared to thin people ("skinny privilege") but if they'd been paying attention earlier they wouldn't have doubled down on that unfortunate inevitability of extra effort by fucking up and getting fat, thereby adding a host of health problems to the list.

Sorry, obesity kids, you don't get to walk like you're taking a casual stroll in the park when you're on a tight rope 100ft in the air. The fact that you're in such a precarious position is anything but an excuse to slack off.
>>
>>39205198
Wow my post really triggered you.

Wherever there is alcohol, there is alcoholism.

Wherever there is plentiful food, there is obesity.

Stay mad. Make more nonsensical rants that make you feel like you are in control.
>>
>>39204649
That's actually true. IQ is nothing more than measured processing power, not a test on your upper limits. What you do with it is entirely on you. You might read a book slower than others, but you can still read a book.
>>
>>39205219
>Make more nonsensical rants that make you feel like you are in control.

Angry ranting is the antithesis of being in control, you're a terrible armchair psychologist.
>>
>>39205237

IQ is like your starting lifts, just read 3x a week and add a point every workout until you get to lmao3digits
>>
>>39205237
No you're retarded. Someone with an IQ of 60 probably won't even be able to hold down a fucking job.

4chan is full of ignoramuses.

>>39205248

I said it made you feel like you were in control, not that you were in control, stupid.
>>
>>39205284
Someone with an IQ of 60 can hold down a job. Just depends on how much they have to think and the pace their boss requires them to work at. Can't have them thinking too hard too fast, but they can think hard, and do simple stuff fast enough. Like custodial work.
>>
Just because you inherit it doesn't mean youll be obese for ever
Even genetically inferior people as you put it can still make it with enough effort
>>
>>39205297
You just said "your upper limits" are entirely up to you, so Downie Potato could still do string theory if he just tried. You are an idiot.

People with IQs that low go on disability and never really work.

>>39205304

Yeah, but everyone in this thread is denying that there is any genetic influence.
>>
>>39205284
>I said it made you feel like you were in control, not that you were in control, stupid.

Retard, how the fuck does angry ranting create any illusion of control? You might as well call binge eating an attempt to feel in control.
You can't just say a random psychology buzzword and expect it to have any relevance.
Stop projecting, you oedipal Freudian slip.
>>
>>39205321
Genetic influence is there but it can be overcome
>>
>>39205321
A low IQ person could do string theory if they tried, though. Furthermore there is a difference between Downs and Low IQ. You do know what IQ is right?
>>
>>39205331
Retards don't win Nobel Prizes.

Get over it, faggot.

>>39205360
>A low IQ person could do string theory if they tried, though.

I bet you've never taken a university level math course, or are just trolling.

A low IQ person could never do string theory. That's the entire fucking point of IQ.

>A 4ft tall person can dunk just as well as a 7ft tall person. They just need more time. I'm a faggot, please rape my anus.
>>
>>39205321
>denying genetic influence
no they're not, but there's a difference between genetic influence where the result is mainly out of your control and irreversible (IQ, mental illnesses, cancer or a bunch of other diseases) or something that can be both prevented and fixed by putting the goddamn fork down
having your IQ fucked because you didn't get enough nutrition is irreversible, same as getting schizophrenia from smoking weed
getting obese because you couldn't put the fork down is easily reversed by putting down the goddamn fork
how easily depends on a bunch of factors and most people are a bunch of coddled weak shits that couldn't discipline their way out of a wet paperbag
some also have legitimate(-ish) mental issues they're self-medicating for with food, but that also holds true for literally any other drug and that requires therapy
most of the time, however, the problem is straight up that "it's hard"
fucking deal with it fatso, life isn't candy
>>
>>39204617
>Notably, a number of single gene disorders resulting in human obesity have been uncovered and, strikingly, all of these defects impair the central control of food intake
>all of these defects impair the central control of food intake
Just eat less?
>Both have a heritability of around 0.75
So, literally evolution?
>>
>>39205384
So what is IQ then? What about it absolutely prevents a person from studying?
>>
>>39205384
>improving your IQ is as easy as monitoring calorie intake
>growing taller is just as easy as monitoring calorie intake
what's next o great scientist, saying people that have manic depression should just get the fuck over it? you got peanut allergy don't eat the fucking peanuts or own up and face the fucking consequences, easy as that
>>
>>39205424
troll

>>39205428

No one is arguing.
>>
>>39205428
You don't improve your IQ though, much like you don't improve your height except for having good food intake amd genetics during your growing years.

However that is not an absolute limit on your ability to learn or study, just like how height isn't a limit on your ability to walk places.
Sure people with longer legs can walk to a place with less strides, and might even get there faster, but that doesn't mean you cannot walk at all. Literally the same logic applies with IQ.
>>
>>39204777
> the conscious effort that needs to be made by the obese to slim down to a normal body weight is likely to be far greater than that required for a naturally lean person to remain so
Do these people think that strongmen and powerlifters have the natural appetite to end up at a body weight of 140-180kg, a massive part of that being muscle?
>>
>>39205384
>IQ is as objective a measurement as height
kek

Also careful with that analogy, anon, this is /fit/, you'll hurt someone's feelings.
>>
>>39204617
Did you read the article anon? Or just copy pasted it from your favorite tumblrina?
It says basically that if your parents ate like some disgusting blobs you MIGHT want to EAT like them.

But the fatasses want to read it as

>>39204745
>>
>>39205448
>You don't improve your IQ though
iunno m8, conflicting debates on that mostly because it's hard to pin down a solid def. of iq and how to measure it
>>
>>39205122
>Lol same thing with IQ dipshit
Maybe you should read up on what IQ actually is.

IQ is heritable, just like height is. It isn't something you can develop, only inhibit through substance abuse and severe malnutrition.
>>
>>39205452

No, just that some people can get accidentally fat, and some slim people can be that way without conscious effort.
Do you think fatties put as much effort into their size as a powerlifter? Do you think every skinnyfat or hungry skeleton fought hard for their lack of physique?

Some things take effort, others don't.
>>
>>39205469
>It isn't something you can develop, only inhibit through substance abuse and severe malnutrition.

Wait, what? So we're all born potential Stephen Hawkings and it's just a matter of how much our parents fuck it up from there?
>>
>>39205466
I thought latest word was that it's improbable only up to a certain point/age, similar to height. So maintaining a good diet and stressing your brain to promote growth during your developmental years is what does it on top of genetics. Sort of like how playing sports and breaking your bones or getting injured as a kid promotes bone growth.
But then your brain closes off after its final developmental stage in your mid 20s, just like how your growth plates close. Only except your brain is still susceptible to losing processing power as a result of drug abuse.
>>
>>39205476
>Do you think fatties put as much effort into their size as a powerlifter? Do you think every skinnyfat or hungry skeleton fought hard for their lack of physique?
No, and that's my point. If they can gorge themselves to ~80kg above a normal weight for their height, and probably what their appetite is initially adjusted to, then why couldn't a fatty just lose weight if they had similar mental fortitude?

They could, but they don't have the willpower of those beefcakes.
>>
>>39205491
Of course not, just like we're not all born potential Robert Wadlows.

You can't just lift some physics textbooks and put them down to see your brain balloon in size and capability. Your intelligence is genetically predetermined, be it at 160 IQ or 50. All you can do is fuck it up. You can't cultivate your intelligence, only your knowledge.
>>
>>39205519
>I thought latest word was that it's improbable only up to a certain point/age, similar to height. So maintaining a good diet and stressing your brain to promote growth during your developmental years is what does it on top of genetics
That's horseshit.

IQ has jack shit heredity at a low age. As low as 0.4 for young children. If what you're saying is right it would only decrease with age, the differences due to environment only growing greater and greater. Instead we see it increasing massively with age(0.8-0.9), and correlation with adoptive families' IQ(environment) decreasing to 0 as age increases.
>>
>>39205522
>then why couldn't a fatty just lose weight if they had similar mental fortitude?
They could, absolutely. The only point being made was why they got fat in the first place without trying to, when other people stay thin without trying to.
>>
File: oldberg.jpg (18KB, 426x398px) Image search: [Google]
oldberg.jpg
18KB, 426x398px
>>39204649
Intelligence =/= obesity.
What you're comparing here is basically "anyone can be an Olympic gold medalist" with "anyone can exercise and keep their body in check".
Not everyone has a body able to withstand Olympic-tier exhaustion and fit for the technical aspects of exercises, but everyone can eat below maintenance and move around to burn calories.
>>
>>39205195
Lol
>>
>>39205585
>"anyone can exercise and keep their body in check".

They can't though, which is why 70% Americans are fat.
>>
>>39205628
Yeah, but that's just psychologic.
>>
>>39205628
can!=is
>>
>>39205628
Are you fucking stupid? Of course they can, they just don't, because of many reasons, including not caring, but it is possible in every sense of the word.
>>
>Flynn Effect
Socioeconic status has more to play than inheritability. That means it is mostly learned.

And lets just say that obesity is genetic. It does have some genetic contributors in it. Sonce it is partly genetic and you are passing these conditions down which affects quality of life, then that's child abuse and that's a perfectly good reason to prevent obese people from breeding.
>>
>>39205647
No, it's genetic, and the psychological is influenced by genetics. It's not completely within their control.

>>39205650
>>39205648

All of them care and do go on diets. Pretty much every fat American goes on diets, and fails. It's a multibillion dollar industry. American women spends like 17 years dieting over their lifetimes. No one wants to overeat, and no one wants to be fat.

Obesity is like increased height and increased IQ. It's an interaction between our genes and industrialization. Blabbering about will power isn't going to change anything and has failed for 40 fucking years.

It's time to admit fatties are genetically inferior, just like manlets.
>>
>>39205469
>height is genetic
I'm 6'1" and my brother is 5'11". Everyone else in the family are 5'7" (including our dads, uncles, and cousins) or below.
>>
>>39204617
Explain why this"genetic trait" seems not to be present in subsaharian african populations
>>
>>39205699
>subsaharian african populations

They are the fattest fucks once you move them into the 1st world.
>>
All the more reason to shun the obese so as to breed out their inferior genes.
>>
>>39205691
You realize genetics are quite complex, yeah?
Heredity is just a rough measure of how much is determined by your genetic sequence in total, not how much you resemble your parents or siblings. You only inherit 50% of your father's genes, a mismatch of genes that he does or does not express and coupled with the 50% from your mother can end up producing a very different result even in traits which are entirely genetically predetermined.

Simple example: your mother and father both carry a recessive gene for a genetic disease. Neither of them are sick since they both only have a single copy. You have roughly a 25% chance of not being a carrier, 50% of being a carrier but not afflicted, and 25% chance of having two copies of it and thereby sick.
>>
>>39205718
That literally proves that it's environmental and not genetic.
FUCKING KEK
>>
>>39205699
Epigenetics. First world countries adapted quickly to high calorie, low nutrient, and extremely processed foods very quickly.
>>
>/fit/ laughs at fatties who claim their genes make them fat
>Blames genetics on everything they suck at

If you've ever said 'Big calf muscles are genetic and can't be worked on' while having the upper body of a bloated gorilla, you need to examine your whole life.
>>
>>39205690
>it's genetic that I'm going to be a sad cunt and eat myself to death
Nah.
I'm lazy as fuck, but when it comes to exercising, I have discipline.
Pavlov helps.
>>
>>39205573
Not really. What I said was that it was a combo of heredity and environment and it locks in or can only get worse when your brain stops developing.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-25-09-44-36.png (500KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-25-09-44-36.png
500KB, 1080x1920px
Gg
>>
>>39204617
guranteed replies.
>>
>>39204617
>obesity
>hereditary
Yeah, did you see all those landwhales in auschwitz? Fucking crazy what genetics do for you.
>>
File: 1474800740915.png (172KB, 758x628px) Image search: [Google]
1474800740915.png
172KB, 758x628px
>>
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4608552/
>>
>>39204684
The Flynn Effect doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>39205731
No, because there is still a proven link between biological parental BMI and a child's BMI. Africans are also fatter than Asians in the same environments.

You people are so thick. Try reading the actual paper.

>>39205998

straw man

If you starve anyone they will get thin. No one is arguing against physics here.

>>39206032

You do realize that height also increased by like 1.5 inches over the same period right?

>>39206082

Not in developed countries. There is also a limit to how fat people can get without an eating disorder.
>>
>>39205417
Basically the study says that for some People it's More difficult to 'just eat less' then for others.

The Same argument can becused for serial rapists, murderers, etc, and, imo, Does not excuses the behaviour in question
>>
>>39204617
so the "fat to fit" transformations some anons in here did were just my imagination? whew. you fat fucks always look up for a excuse to be fat.
>>
>>39206149
>If you starve anyone they will get thin. No one is arguing against physics here.
Well found your fucking solution to obesity right there. Starve them but don't starve them too much only until they're normal. Never heard of the fat fuck who ate nothing aside from vitamin supplements and water for a year. He became normal weight and was able to keep it.
>>
>>39206239
That is a possible solution, simulating famine, but it's expensive, because you basically have to incarcerate people.
>>
>>39206149
>No, because there is still a proven link between biological parental BMI and a child's BMI
Correlation =/= Causation
>>
>>39206262
It is causation you dipshit.

Do you know how to establish causation from correlation using p values?
>>
>>39206326
i love it how this is so incorrect but no one here knows any better or can be fucked disproving you
>>
>>39206326
Who the fuck cares about p-values in this? The day when someone proves there is a "fat-gene" that every obese person posses, that is the moment when it's the proven cause for it. Before that it's a logical fallacy.
>>
>>39204617
> Obesity is as heritable as IQ.
Good thing you can increase your IQ with simple exercises like word puzzles, reading literature, and doing math problems.
>>
>>39206360
I meant "significant" not "causal." It's how science is done. It's been months since I took stats.

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Is_the_P_value_of_005_or_less_an_indicative_of_causality
>>
>>39206439
>a p value >0.05 is considered enough to draw a conlusion for what the cause is
>people are suprised when statistics come up with retarded conclusions
Ya'll niggers retarded.
>>
>>39206149
>fat parents have fat kids
Because they feed their kids the same stuff they are eating
>>
>>39206751
Adopted kids are as fat as their biological parents.

Try again.
>>
>>39206786
Prove this to be true.
>>
>>39206808
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8452057
>>
>>39206832
No no no, since you clearly comprehend and understand so much regarding this topic. Please explain to me without linking an article why this is true? What causes it? Do you really understand anything you're trying to defend or are you half ass referencing articles?
>>
>>39206862
Fuck off and read the article. This is science, not math. It requires empirical evidence, not a fucking "proof" I can just write down.
>>
>>39206886
>it's just science read it
>it's just science bro
>its just simple science, i can't explain what the study did or the correlation between the two all i can do is reference shit studies and pretend i know what im talking about
>please don't ask me to explain what i'm defending i only half understand this stuff i can't actually discuss it myself
>im right and everybody else is wrong even though i haven't explained anything about my stance
>just linking stuff without explaining it is enough right
>>
>>39206918
>I can't read.
>>
>>39206886
Have you actually read it instead of taking in the abstract? If you want to cite shitty research, then I'll play the same game.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19569401
>it involves both genes and social environment
>>
Obesity is as genetic as smoking cigarettes or drinking too much booze. Growing up around addiction causes addiction. Be it heroin, food, cigarettes, soda, they're all vices and all addictions, and can all be left behind. We're *all* gonna make it.
>>
File: barbaric.jpg (13KB, 180x213px) Image search: [Google]
barbaric.jpg
13KB, 180x213px
>>39204617
>Talking about heritability
>Not controlling for socio-economic factors

You're fucking retarded, OP. Go take some statistics classes before you come spilling broscience to justify your fatness and retardedness.
>>
>>39204617
>Neurobehavioral
aaaaaand there goes your argument
>>
>>39204711
>>39205054
>>39205087
>>39205409
>>39206751
>>39206491
On spot
>>
>>39204877
Based fucking response about culture though.
Ill give em that
>>
>>39207146
>>Not controlling for socio-economic factors
The scientists did that, faggot.
>>
I schooled this Canadian faggot on /pol/ and now he comes to shit up /fit/ - nice.
>>
Wow so if you're genetically fat you never have to eat anything again because your body is genetically inclined to energize itself in other ways than the food you eat?

Why aren't we using these übermensch for warfare?
>>
>>39206326
Pvalues aren't typically reliable considering you can tweak variable influences in a study to hack your Pvalues. It's like forcing credibility for something which is not at all credible. Like coming to the conclusion that icecream sales increase drowning.
>>
>>39207446
Well sure if your experiment is a fraud or terribly designed, but that's not the case here.
>>
>>39207465
No I mean next to no experiment that relies solely on pvalues for credibility us necessarily true. You can play with your data sets and choose which variables to include to hack it so your hypothesis is correct after the fact and sound with p-values.
Pvalues are a terrible way to justify an experiment unless used as one of several supplementing supports.
>>
File: sm_isf20_phplf8RCi.jpg (17KB, 200x280px) Image search: [Google]
sm_isf20_phplf8RCi.jpg
17KB, 200x280px
>>39204617
Here is sadaf.
>>
>>39204617
>>39207544
And here is ORahilly. Huh, who'd have guessed both were obese?
>>
File: sm_cjs54_php4zYXmx.jpg (8KB, 200x220px) Image search: [Google]
sm_cjs54_php4zYXmx.jpg
8KB, 200x220px
>>39207562
Forgot picture dumb fuck.
>>
>>39204617

This is what fat women have been saying all along. That it's muh genetics. That they are fat because of a factor outside their control and therefore aren't responsible for their condition. You sure your bottle has creatine and not cretin written on it?
>>
>>39204617
It's almost as if being raised by fat parents would show a pattern of heritability.
>>
Imagine if people talked about how hard it is to kick heroin the same way they talked about being fat. Fucking defeatist bullshit.
>>
>ctrl+f "leptin"
>ctrl+f "FTO"
No results. Damn, and here I thought there was actual discussion on the genetic basis of obesity pre-disposition instead of just "muh genetics."

It's only a matter of time before "muh epigenetics" reaches the list of excuses given that some metabolic dysfunctions apparently show lamarkian heritability as soon as a single generation.
>>
>>39204617
> heritability
You may want to reexamine that word before you use it to compare these two things.
>>
>>39204617
>We argue
Stopped reading right there. The article has no new data and is basically the authors interpreting the results of previous studies.
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.