[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading philosophy for depression? Bullshit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (9KB, 229x221px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 229x221px
Reading philosophy for depression? Bullshit?
>>
>>39197411
whatever helps you accept yourself
>>
>>39197411
Nah. It's decent stuff. Make sure you read a diverse collection of different philosophies from different time periods and places. Chinese and Hindu philosophy is best.
>>
Helped me out a lot. Don't give up on it.

It's like self-help stuff, though. None of it matters if you don't practice/make sense of what they talk about. Some of what they go into may make you even more depressed at first, but keep pushing through it.
>>
>>
>>39197411
I go to bed listening to Alan Watts; may be irritating at first, but that dude was one of the chilled niggers on planet earth, I swear. Gives me insights here and there and generally makes me feel well to go from pondering to zzZZZz mode.

Godspeed
>>
>>39197739
i dont understand this at all
>>
>>39197411
Pretty much
>>
Philosophers tried to answer the deepest questions about the world and human nature. It's an academic pursuit, not some self-help bullshit.
>>
Read all the philosophy you want. It can help to get a different sense of reality, but the only thing to do is accept it's nature.
>>
Read Leo Tolstoy's Confessions.
>>
>>39199607
So what?
If contemplating the complexity of anything helps you deal with shit, what's wrong with it? Cunt.
>>
>>39199761
Yeah that's fine, but don't expect books on metaphysics to help you deal with depression
>>
>>39197411
Read Nichomachean Ethics if you feel like you don't know how not to be a shitty person. There's some helpful stuff there.
If you feel like life's shit and there's no point to anything maybe read Camus' take on the myth of sisyphus

>>39199835
I don't think that was the kind of philosophy OP was referring to.
>>
>>39199896
>If you feel like life's shit and there's no point to anything
yea pretty much this
>>
>>39197411
Good to give you hope and to keep you moving but ultimately the only thing that is goingn to fix your depression is action towards your goals, progress, and dreams
>>
The Stoics describe really great, productive ways of thinking about things that I could totally see being useful to a depressed person.

Seneca and Marcus Aurelius are GOAT
>>
Philosophy ain't worth shit if you've got deep-rooted mental illness.
>>
>>39199896
To anyone else interested in Camus, I'll warn you that Myth of Sisyphus (or at least the translation I owned) is one of the driest works I've ever read. I generally like Camus' writings, but I've never been able to make it through Myth of Sisyphus. The Plague is great though (and any of his other novels).
>>
>>39197411
learn to meditate https://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477358309&sr=8-1&keywords=mindful+way+through+depression
>>
>>39199607
Stoics have some practical approaches to take.
>>
>>39200962
>>39201426
https://youtu.be/nLD09Qa3kMk?list=PL3EE1B1C46C7D4412
>>
No philosophical work will really fix your depression or give you the ultimate answer you might be looking for.
Some philosophical work might help you find some ways to cope.
See nietzsche
If you want to into the philosophy in general start with the greeks :)
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.