[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup boyz Let's talk beginner routines, I just started lifting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: 1476028233499.png (47KB, 547x465px) Image search: [Google]
1476028233499.png
47KB, 547x465px
Sup boyz

Let's talk beginner routines, I just started lifting again and want to try this out, did a couple of workouts, feels great.

What are your beginner routines, how much did you progress on them and what did you add to it?
>>
Fuckin love greyskull man. Been on it for a few months. What's your lifts at? Look up more info about greyskull, that pic you have is just one guys variant, it is very customizable. It is such a good program for beginners. In my opinion, the best. The fact that the last set of your main lifts is an AMRAP makes it so that as you progress, you get some autoregulation with your rep ranges, and when you deload, you're not stuck being bored with baby weight, you can still hit rep PRs and get some higher volume in.

I'm 6', 155 pounds
one rep maxes:
Squat 275
Bench 155
Deadlift 345
OHP 125
calculated using strengthstandards.co
>>
>>39170837
>>39170896
I do base greyskull plus dips, cable rows/latpulldowns, and shrugs after the main lifts. I wanna add some calves, abs, and grip work.
>>
>>39170896
Op here
6', 182 pounds
One rep max:
Bench 147
Squat 166
Deadlift 205
Ohp 40

How is your ohp so good, mine is really low
>>
>>39170837
why rotate ohp and bench? just do both. same goes for chinups and rows. doing only 1 of each type seems really low even for beginners.

2 push/2 pull/2 posterior. there is no reason not to squat every day.
>>
>>39171071
I feel exhausted at the end of the workout, don't know if I can add more exercises. Maybe I'll try adding some more after I progress a bit
>>
>>39170837
For a true beginner, SS or SL is better. the extra squat volume is recoverable and helps to get your lower body lifts up.

OP you would probably qualify as a true beginner

>The fact that the last set of your main lifts is an AMRAP makes it so that as you progress, you get some autoregulation with your rep ranges

This can also be the problem with GS. Most beginners and even intermediates dont know when they shouldn't go for that 6th, 7th, or 8th rep...especially when you are slowing down on the weight progression
I will admit, that greyskull is a lot of fun and is good for novices and people that have the movement down. But for true beginners, I believe that SS +Chinups and dips is better
>>
>>39171136
after 3 exercises? either you are very out of shape or that AMRAP on the last set is draining you of life.

have you tried without that?

bench and ohp don't even target the same muscle so at least try to do both of those.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBMilitaryPress.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html
>>
>>39171259
>after 3 exercises? either you are very out of shape or that AMRAP on the last set is draining you of life
Clearly you have never done a strength routine...

>bench and ohp don't even target the same muscle so at least try to do both of those.
wow you are fucking retarded. 10/10 if bait
>>
If I were to go back in time and start over, this is what I'd do

>A
3x5 bench
3x5 squat
3x8 DB row
3x8 DB bench

>B
3x5 OHP
3xf chins
1x5 deadlift
Arms

I started with SL and then Sean's stripped 5x5 and some other fuckery. I'd also eat more, that's a bigger concern than the routine actually
>>
>>39171259
Bait much
>>
>>39171309
This is nice actually, what would you do for arms?
>>
>>39170837
Deload: The Program
>>
>>39171136
Same situation here. I really doubt that adding more exercises will do any good, especially if you're content with your progression.
>>
Retards
>>
>>39171410
Exactly, as long as I'm upping the weight it's all good for me.
>>
>>39171399
Some combination of DB curls, reverse curls, and tricep extensions. More focus on the curls because you've already got DB bench plus the main lifts
>>
File: IMG_0308.jpg (749KB, 828x1036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0308.jpg
749KB, 828x1036px
>>39171431
The main thing is to find a program which works for you. And a beginner program should have as the main portion of the program compound muscle, multi joint movements. Generally speaking, the volume should be kept relatively low until your body is conditioned to the workload.
>>
>>39171483
That pic is straight up meme
>>
>>39171497
It is. It's a combination of GSLP, Reg Park, and Gironda's beginner programs.
>>
>>39171513
No like that is a straight up meme. Pick a real program and stick with it.
>>
>>39171518
That is a real program faggot.
>>
>>39171518
>not an argument
Pick it apart you dumb cunt. What principles for beginning lifters does it break?
>>
>>39171538
>poster count doesn't go up
Sorry you got memed on. As a beginner you'll probably still make some progress but that will be suboptimal.

Pro-tip: Don't base a routine off of a meme picture someone made to troll newdyels like you.

>drink plenty of juice
>>
>>39171580
Oh I see. You didn't read it. Try again faggot.
>>
>>39171595
>poster count still doesn't go up
Keep trying newfriend. Check out the sticky.
>>
>>39171606
This isn't /b/ fucknut.
>>
>>39170896
strength standards is crap mate.

Do a taper every 8 weeks and get a proper tested 1RM. Strength is a skill and testing 1RM is a good way to drill high intensity lifting.
>>
File: lmao1stick.webm (553KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
lmao1stick.webm
553KB, 320x320px
>>39171285
>Clearly you have never done a strength routine...

Not him but you clearly just have shit conditioning. GSLP isn't even a 'strength' routine, it's for novices looking to not be weak any more.

You can bench and OHP on the same day just vary the intensity and volume of each. The limiting factor will be your triceps so just be sensible and do your high intensity exercise first.
>>
>>39171702
>isn't even a 'strength' routine, it's for novices looking to not be weak any more.
...which implies training for strength, no?
>>
>>39171755

Not really. Novice lifting programs end when linear progression no longer stimulates sufficient hypertophy.

Strength is a by product of bigger muscles to an extent but it is mostly a skill. So a strength routine would be something that enables you to peak and get lots of practice with high intensity weight. Otherwise doing literally anything which stimulate hypertrophy could just be called a strength program.

Novice programs are about getting enough volume to efficiently drill compound movements while having enough lifting intensity to make sure small increments in weight allow rapid progression.
>>
>>39171819
kk, breh. How is your first two weeks of SS going?
>>
File: cheatyleverages.jpg (123KB, 697x889px) Image search: [Google]
cheatyleverages.jpg
123KB, 697x889px
>>39171901
You're the one sounding like a complete novice thinking you're doing a 'strength' program.

Nice insult though, I can see it being a decent deflection in qtddtot
>>
>>39171946
lel breh. I am not the one doing GSLP.
I think you are retarded for thinking that a program marketed and proven as a STRENGTH ROUTINE, is not a strength routine.
But what does John Schaefer, and Mark Rippetoe know about strength?
Clearly not as much as someone who browses an anonymous sheep shearing forum.
>>
>>39171139
>SL
Stop replying
>>
>>39172005
I'm OP, what program do you recommend?
>>
>>39172027
what are your goals?
>>
>>39172005
How many record holding powerlifters have either of them trained? None. How many record holding powerlifters have used any of theri training programs to break a record? None.

They aren't creating training programs for strength athletes. They're creating programs which get novices int eh gym doing compound movements. There's nothing wrong with this, but a treaining program that pretty much only allows most lifters to squat 3 (maybe 3.5) plates before they need to change program isn't a strength program. It's a foundation program for teaching compound movements.

Rippetoe is a strength and conditioning coach who created SS for highschool football players to stop being pathetically weak.

If a program doesn't tell you how to peak and periodise your training then it's not a strength program. It's a beginner program which exists to get you to a stage where programming becomes the limiting factor in your lifting as opposed to recovery/form/experience.

>>39172027
GSLP works fine for beginners. Just get into the gym and do compound movements and increase weight regularly. Analysis paralysis is worse than doing a sub-optimal program.
>>
>>39171702
Gslp is a beginners linear progression strength routine.
>>
>>39172098
Stop comparing elite powerlifters to absolute beginners. Gslp is still a strength routine regardless if an elite lifter cannot make gains with it anymore.
>>
>>39172111

Then literally any program is a strength program.

Calling it a strength program does a disservice to proper strength programs. A beginner can't train for strength, it makes no sense. They don't have the required muscle mass to be strong.

>>39172127
Why? They're all lifting weights. It doesn't do GSLP any good to call it a strength program, it's just marketing.
>>
>>39172143
Just because a beginner can make strength gains with linear progression and an elite lifter cannot does not make it NOT a strength routine.
All this talk about periodization is simply for advanced strength routines.
Routines which aren't strength may be focused on hypertrophy like high volume or endurance based with some weight at many sets.
>>
>>39172098
>How many record holding powerlifters have either of them trained?
How many have you?

>They aren't creating training programs for strength athletes
Exaclty, then why use the fact that they havent trained any elite powerlifters as a basis for judgement on their program's strength training capabilites.

>It's a foundation program for teaching compound movements.
It has never marketed itself as anything other than that...

>If a program doesn't tell you how to peak and periodise your training then it's not a strength program. It's a beginner program which exists to get you to a stage where programming becomes the limiting factor in your lifting as opposed to recovery/form/experience.

you and I have fundamentally different definitions of strength.
you do not have to peak to train for strength. Training for strength ,generally, is to focus primarily on moving more weight and breaking PRs, not WRs. Very few people on this board are looking to peak, and compete in a PL competition, that doesnt mean that we can train to increase our strength over training to increase muscle volume.
>>
File: perseus1700.jpg (39KB, 700x511px) Image search: [Google]
perseus1700.jpg
39KB, 700x511px
>>39172089
I want to push my bodyweight, squat double while still looking good, I don't only want to be stronger, though that's the main objective, I want also to have a nice body, something to be proud of while looking in the mirror.

Ultimately I want to look like a Greek statue. Pic sort of related, more mass would be nice.
>>
>>39172189
I just think it's stupid to tell beginners they are doing strength programs when really they're doing linear progression to get to a point where they have to put a bit of thought into their programming.

It just reinforces various myths about training like the implication that bodybuilders aren't strong, powerlifters can't be aesthetic, somatypes are a thing etc. Then you get people who do SS until their beginner gains run out and go around thinking they're hot shit and don't really progress any further because they've finished their strength program.

I guess it's just a bugbear of mine.
>>
>>39172213
Then GSLP will work just fine mayne.
Once you have a reasonably good foundation, you can add more volume to increase hypertrophy.
>>
So anyone doing Greyskull wants to share some experience on it?
Like, how you feel when you deload, how far you progressed, diet and so on?
I've been lifting for 8 months, doing fuck all in the gym, wanna try GSLP now. Current 1 rep maxes are (at 180cm 80kg):
Squat 100kg
Bench 90kg
OHP 55kg
DL 150kg
Looking to try and get to 1/2/3/4, should GSLP be good for it?
>>
>>39172234
That's just people being stupid. Can't fix that. Finishing a beginners routine should imply to people that they should be following up with some advanced routine. But I suppose that's the power of LP, beginners can make such large gains even as a beginner that they don't feel the need to progress any further.
>>
>>39172259
Are those tested 1RM or calculated?

>>39172265
I guess I'm just triggered by fedora tier 'lifting for strength' retards.
>>
>>39172303
tested. Except for squat, I did 95kgx3, so I assumed I could get a 100x1. Could be wrong.
Also, I have been lifting before and on off, like usually I lift for 3 months, then I quit for a year, been doing like that for the past couple of years. This is the longest I stuck with for now
>>
>>39172259
Ran it about a year and a half ago. Dont be too proud to deload, if you fail twice, do the deload. I always went back to crush my old PRs.
>Diet
Just make sure you eat at least maintenance if you want to gain some strength,

Got to...
>Squat: 280 lbs, 3 x 5
>Deadlift: 335, 1x8
>OHP: 125, 3 x 5
>Bench: 195, 3 x 5

>Looking to try and get to 1/2/3/4, should GSLP be good for it?
it will get you much closer than you are now
>>
>>39172339
just a quick question about deloads - when you fail twice on a lift, as in two consecutive workouts, you deload?
And you deload usually by what, 10%? Then build up again from that weight?
>>
>>39172324
I'd use GSLP for the time being and see what progress you can get out of linear progression.

I suggest this because GCLP is easy, will highlight any weaknesses you may have and enables you to program extra accessories to deal with weak points easily.

Then do some reading about linear periodisation and be ready to jump into a periodised program as soon as you think you are stalling.

>>39172357
Deload by 10% after failing twice. Make it your goal to smash a volume record in the AMRAP set.
>>
>>39172357
yep
>>
>>39172369
thanks. any recommended reading?
>>
File: IMG_1519.png (37KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1519.png
37KB, 700x600px
Doing this version of GSLP

I hadn't gone to the gym in 4 months so I did a heavy deload just to be safe desu

Bench: 157
Squat: 157
Lifelift: 262
OHP: 99
>>
>>39171024
40lbs really? Your bench is way higher than mine @ 5'11 178lbs, and I can lift 35lbs dumbbells OH
>>
File: Arnie routine.jpg (158KB, 1178x679px) Image search: [Google]
Arnie routine.jpg
158KB, 1178x679px
So thoughts on this: thinking of combining Arnie's routine (pic related) and Greyskull - i.e. get rid of the wrist and calf work and add neck and triceps work or something, but also keep AMRAP and deloading like in Greyskull. Best of both worlds or shit?
>>
>>39170930
How/where do you add dips in?

Johnny Pain says to just add it like an 2x8 accessory, but Phrak says to cycle it with OHP and Bench as a 3x5 compound (as in, Monday: Bench | Wednesday: OHP | Friday: Dips)
>>
>>39172510
Maybe I can do better, I just took it slow since I don't have a month of lifting
>>
>>39173044
I do at least 3x8 every gym day. Just bench or just ohp is nowhere near enough volume for me. Partly because I'm on a bulk.
>>
PHAT + Extra Accessories (1/3)
Day 1: Upper Body Power Day
Please help me fix my routine. I never feel tired at the end. Natty btw.
Pulling Power Movement: Bent over rows
DB Rows
Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups
Auxiliary Pulling movement: Rack chins
Pressing Power Movement: Flat dumbbell presses
Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips
Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses
Auxiliary curling movement: Bicep Curls
Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers
BB Standing Shoulder Press

Day 2: Lower Body Power Day

Pressing Power Movement: Squats
Sumo Deads
lying leg curls
Planks & Crunches

Day 3: Rest
>>
>>39173886
(2/3)

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

Bent over rows
Weighted Chin-ups
Seated cable row
DB Shrugs
Close grip pulldowns
Seated dumbbell presses
Upright rows
Side lateral raises
OHP
DB Rows

Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

Lower Body Power
Squats
Sumo Deads
Leg presses
Lying leg curls
Abs
>>
>>39173900
(3/3)
Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day

Flat dumbbell presses
Incline dumbbell presses
Close Grip Bench
Incline cable flyes
DB curls
Hammer Curls
Skullcrushers
Dumbbell concentration curls
BB curls
Seated tricep extension with cambered bar
Cable pressdowns with rope attachment
Cable kickbacks
21's until failure
(Please help me shorten my arm workouts)

Day 7: Rest
>>
Wow i never even looked at greyskull because of its shitty name, but it looks like starting strength without the cleans. I might try this out
>>
>>39170837
Allpros. You have to fiddle with the progression as time goes on but it's fun. Workouts are fairly short so pretty good if you're strapped for time.
>>
>>39173886
>>39173900
>>39173914
Bump. I'm 150lbs, 5'10'', and have been lifting for 2 years. I'm now on a cut.
>>
full body 4x a week

6x3 is 3 warm up sets then 3 work sets
4x3 is 3 warm ups 1 work set

5x4/3 are ramping up to 1 work set

4x2 also ramps to 1 work set

Day 1
Squat 6x3
Close Grip Bench 5x4 top set @ 80% of UPCOMING bench weight
Block Pull 5x3 top set @ 110% of UPCOMING Deadlift weight
DB Row 2x8-12
Pulldowns 2x12-15
Barbell Curl 2x6-10

Day 2
OHP 6x3
Front Squat 5x3 top set @ 80% of PREVIOUS squat super set with:
SL DL 5x3 top set @ 80% of UPCOMING DL
Incline DB Bench
Brad Press 2x8-12
Pullover 2x8-12

Day 3
Deadlift 4x3
Push Press 5x3 top set @ 110% of UPCOMING OHP
Lateral Raise 2x10-15
Incline Fly 2x10-15
Face Pull 3x10-15

Day 4
Bench/Pendlay Row 6x3 match weights, I personally do supersets
DB Press 3x6-10
Single Arm Pull down 2x12-15
Hammer Curls 2x10-15
Single Arm Extension 2x10-15
Calf Raise 2x12-15

It looks retarded but it works

Srs
>>
File: aids.png (16KB, 610x230px) Image search: [Google]
aids.png
16KB, 610x230px
>>39170837
Honestly I cannot recommend GreySkull LP enough as a beginner routine.
It addresses and solves the main problems which make SS and SL not optimal for beginners.
>gives more attention to upper body without being a split, avoiding trex mode
>completely solves the "stalling" problem with AMRAPs and micropl8s

my history
>started 7-8 months ago
>before that I did PT-splits for not more than 3 months at a time, without never really trying
>started with SL, too much volume
>switched to SS, too many stalls
>I was always eating at a surplus, resting and sleeping but nothing helped, I was seriously discouraged.

I started GSLP, bought microplates, deloaded on Bench and OHP and my progress jumpstarted, I cant believe how much of a difference AMRAPs and micropl8s make.
Bench was my worst lift, and since I deloaded to 67.5 I literally have always put on weight up to today with 78.5, which I did successfully today. OHP has been a bit more rocky but I still went from being stuck at 45kg to doing 3x5 52.5 last time.

Squat and DL are another story but that's because my incredibly poor lower body mobility basically stopped me from squatting 5 months ago, and is still a limitation.
So my squat is 95kg and because of that I'm having trouble getting my DL higher than what it currently is, 122.5kg.
I realize that's cos I havent really given these 2 lifts that much attention, because of me ultimately being after a more aesthetic look rather than pure strenght.
But I wanna change that, today I started doing some Leg Presses and I think I'll stick with that.

Pic related is my routine, I'm doing Pulldowns because I weigh 87kg and my arms still need to catch up to my weight, and since I cant install a chinup bar in my home and use the Frequency Method I'm doing some Concentrated Curls everyday at home, and also doing frequency method pushups and some ab work when I have time (ab wheel is torture)
my shitty lifts: (kg) 52.5/78.5/95/122.5, +8kg x10 dips, 7 Chinups.
>>
>>39174666
*the shoulder press is seated and I cant really decide between the nice aesthetic gains from lat raises and the functionality of shoulder press for the ohp
>>
>>39173914
Three Chest movements and two arm movements especially since you already train arms directly earlier that week
>>
>>39170837
When it says "progress with 2.5 lbs for upper body" does it mean 2.5 lbs plate on each side or 2.5 lbs extra in total?
>>
>>39175393
Total my guess, don't see why they'd write out only for half the bar.
>>
>>39175393
Total
>>
When you increase deadlift is it by 2.5lbs or 5lbs? Also does it matter if the accessories are compound or isolation lifts?
>>
Five months in, coming in from two weeks of SL to years ago and some retarded ball and cardio exercises at an old lady's gym three to four years ago, absolutely LOVING GSLP, doing this variant >>39172435 people make too big of a deal with the AMRAPs, they're good to motivate you in the beggining and help you find your limits, but after the first month you're pretty much done with them, occasionally you can squeeze out a 6th or a 7th.
>>
>>39176022
5lbs each side 10lbs total.
>>
>>39176754
no. 2.5 pounds each side. 5 pounds total. 10 pounds total is only if you get 10 or more on your last AMRAP. Read the book
>>
>>39171402
seriously. if you could increase 5lbs per workout like it advertises, you'd increase your squat by 780 lbs per year. fuckin stoopid.
>>
>>39178453
Anything better reccomended?
>>
File: 1473623322628.jpg (8KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
1473623322628.jpg
8KB, 280x180px
Looking to get stronk and overall moderately built for the upcoming race war, with a torn shoulder labrum and hypermobile shoulder joints

A
3x5 Strict overhead press
3x5 Lowbar squat
1x5 Deadlift

2-3xAMRAP chins until weighted for 2x5-8
2-3x10-15 Landmine laterals (to be replaced with 2/3x10-15/20-25 landmine lateral raise/band facepull superset)

100 reps each side 4-way neck work
Seated calve raise 3x6-10

B
3x5 lowbar squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x5 Pendlay Row (To be replaced by power cleans)

Power clean practice, sometimes
2-3xAMRAP Chins, until able to do them weighted on A, then replace with 3x6-10/20-25 overhead shrug/band facepull superset
2-3x6-12 hammer curls sometimes

100 reps each side 4-way neck work
Seated calve raise 3x6-10

Would it be better to overhead shrug on A or B?

c25k
Weighted carries on fridays
6+X Scapular pushups, wrist rolling and external rotations daily

Once I get the hang of power cleans, I'm going to move the weighted chins to B
>>
>>39170837
did u really put your routine in code ur such a nerd lmao
>>
>>39171309
DB exercises are pretty crap for a beginner. Or as a primary lift in general. Much harder to linearly progress when you're restricted to 2x whatever weight increments the dumbell rack has. Unless you have those adjustable Dumbbells I guess
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.