[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paid gym vs. home gym

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (135KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 800x500px
Where do you get the best gains at?
>>
What should I start with when building a home gym?

What are the must have machines?
What do you guys do for cables at home?
>>
>>39104989
/this
I was thinking about a barbell and some plates for deadlifts, a pair of 25 lbs dumbells and a bench
>>
Home gym
>>
>>39104975
At a paid gym
>>
Home is comfy
>>
In my experience home gym reeks autism
>>
>>39104989
power cage
bench
several weights/plates
RUBBER PADS/FLOORING
pull/chin up bar
>>
>>39104989
Absolute minimum
>rack or even squat stands
>bar with weights to 225lb
>bench
Then just add on from there whatever you want, pull-up bar is also vital
>>
>>39105146
>pull/chin up bar
Shouldn't this be in the cage anyway?
>>
>>39104989

>power rack
>barbell and weights
>microplates
>dumbbell handles that you can put weight on
>adjustable bench
>row and lat pulldown pulleys on the rack + different handle attachment
>belt for weighted chins
>whatever other accessories you'd bring to a normal gym

If you spend more than 1k usd on this you probably messed up unless you live in a country where shit is expensive. Flooring costs extra.

>>39105036
Start thinking no instead. 25lb dumbbells can barely train women.
>>
Home gym only if you have a dedicated gymbro, (not just someone that will appear to workout with you when he has nothing else to do) to serve as a reliable spotter. Else, paid gym
>>
>>39105146
This. its all you need. Plus a proper powerlifting bar. Maybe an olympic bar if you do some olympic shit.
>>
>>39105165
>>bar with weights to 225lb
What about deadlifts after the first week?
>>
File: power-cage_1.jpg (141KB, 973x1600px) Image search: [Google]
power-cage_1.jpg
141KB, 973x1600px
>>39104989
Oh bro just get a power cage, a good barbell then build up pl8s as you need them.

I prefer the iron / metal whatever plates as opposed to >>39105146 rubber ones. I find the rubber irritating to get on / off the bar.

But yeah, definitely go home gym if you can. I used to live with a guy who had all gym equipment and it was awesome. I've never made such easy gains. Having it right there just makes it one less step in the process of lifting, so you're less likely to put it off.

A cage like pic related is great. Lets you do chinups and dips. I recommend rogue fitness brand barbells. They're a touch more expensive but the one place you don't want to skimp is the barbell.
>>
don't forget gymnastic rings, blocks for deficit handstand pushups
>>
>>39104975
I actually go to the gym on the right trippy haha
>>
The biggest reason i don't have a homegym is because i don't have space. You have to have a big house with an empty garage and i just live in an apartment with my parents
>>
How much for a power cage?
>>
File: power cage.jpg (26KB, 337x600px) Image search: [Google]
power cage.jpg
26KB, 337x600px
I started out buying a Squat Rack and Bench with an Olympic Barbell and Weights.

I recently upgraded my bench and bought pic related today.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>39106516
>>39105221
I don't undeestand how power cages work
Where do you put the bar if you want to do bench press?
>>
>>39106533
You move the J-Hooks (the black things you rack the bar on) down to bench level and adjust the safeties and then bench inside the cage.
>>
Too many distractions at home. Pay for a gym membership.
>>
>>39106710
>too many distractions in a room with a power rack and a barbell

Is there football games happening in your backyard?

But seriously the reason that converted me to home gym over a paid gym is that word "paid".

Let's just assume for a moment that a yearly gym membership is $100 for a year.

That's $1000 dollars for 10 years.

You can spend $1000 and get a power cage a bench a olympic barbell weights, floor mats, whatever other gear you need and STILL have money left over.

And if you buy right the quality is going to last you longer than 10 years.

So financially speaking, it's the smart bet.

For example, what did >>39106516
you pay for that cage, anon?
>>
>>39106762
$400AUD got the monkey bar and dip handles too
>>
>>39105173
power rack means you don't need a spotter, bro
>>
>>39106801
So thats about $300USD.

You could buy 3 of these fucking racks and still have $100 to splurge.

You could buy that rack plus a barbell and weights plus a bench and have even MORE to splurge.

It's the smart choice.
>>
>>39104975
home gym would be optimal for DBZ-tier powering up before a heavy lift and not having to worry about looking like an autist
>>
>>39106376
Probably like $800
>>
>>39106762
My gym is like $600/year
>>
>>39107097
So by buying all your equipment you could have it pay itself of in 2 years. 24 months, my friend.

Or in 4 years you can look back and regret having the potential to have bought TWO home gyms and still paying to work out.

Not to mention the $600 in the pocket every year after the first 2.
>>
>>39107141
I would but I don't have my own place until I finish my degree
>>
Personally speaking I feel that a home gym breeds complacency and eventually (for a lot of people) a sort of "eh I'll get to it later" syndrome. Having a ritual of going to the gym every day keeps (again, just my opinion) you on track and motivated, plus the atmosphere of being around other people lifting just feels right no homo.
>>
>>39107418
It's the opposite for me. Having a home gym is a big convenience. I can work out whenever I want, no driving 10min one way, no waiting for equipment, no shirt no shoes no problem, blast music as loud as I want.
>>
File: image.png (53KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
53KB, 700x700px
>>39104989

If you are poor, buy a 300 lb plate set. They sell for around $190.

They usually come with 255 lbs of plates you can use forever and a junk bar that has a bolts for the ends (keep those tight).

You can now do Front Squats, Overhead Press, Cleans, Deadlifts, and Barbell Rows.

Do push ups to round out the program.

Next, go buy some 1 lb hand weights from WalMart to micro load when needed [$10].

Next, get a good barbell for safety ($250).

So far, you will have spent about $450.

If you have kept up with the lifts and push-ups, then you now know you really do lift.

Buy a power rack or strong squat rack that can hold at least 1,000 lbs [$350 bare minimum].

Now, you can add floor press, back squats, and pull-ups/chin ups.

Then get a good bench ($150) to do full bench press.

After that, buy more plates as you need them.

In total, you will spend about $1,000.

This method allows you to test yourself and not spend a ton of money until you know you're dedicated.

The initial barbell and plate set can probably be sold at 65% of your original cost, making the risk only $85.

A good bar will also hold similar resale value, risking about $120.

It is easy to sell a good bar and plates if you give up on a home gym. It is harder to get rid of a mid range rack or less basic equipment.

I left the bench for last because it is really only needed for bench press. You should buy equipment that will give you the most exercises for your money.
>>
>>39106710
I've switched over to a home gym because I found too many distractions at the paid gym and now I can concentrate much better
>Literal Autism
>>
It's just not good economic sense to own a home gym, it's a huge upfront investment. Usually you end up with used equipment that you have to fix yourself when it breaks down and uses a ton of space. Also the best thing about going to gym is all the hot eye-candy.

I only recommend it if you live in the middle of nowhere and/or have shit gyms in your area.
>>
>>39105171
>1k USD

Seriously? That's cheap as fuck senpai. It would probably cost me double where I live.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.