[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: YinYang.jpg (2MB, 2160x1920px) Image search: [Google]
YinYang.jpg
2MB, 2160x1920px
Greetings, my friends.

I've been on this board for awhile now, and I've noticed every now and then, there's a thread on meditation. I'd love to start one so we can share our experiences, books we've read, tips, milestones we've reached, and, to keep it /fit/ related, how it's helped with your general health/lifting. :) Just a general topic to discuss something I feel has changed my life for the better, and I'd love to hear and share some of them with you all.
>>
>>39101315
I've been meditating for about a month now. The ability to quickly slip into mindfulness anytime during the day is awesome, also mediation is a huge stress reliever.

Would definitely recommend it.
>>
What time during the day do you guys usually meditate?
>>
>>39101780
I'm glad to hear about your success. Keep it up and life will only get better, and brighter, my friend.
I carry a small set of mala beads (only 27 and a teacher bead at the end) just so while I'm out and about, I can still keep myself centered and at peace.
>>
>>39101797
Usually an hour after I wake up, I don't have a proper mat, so I fold up my doona and it works wonderfully, and I'll meditate for usually around 7-10 minutes, then throughout the day, I'll occasionally, quietly chant mantras to myself to keep my spirit strong.
>>
>>39101780
Yeah, being able to be mindfull when your thoughts or sensations are overwhelming you is great. It definiely helps with the introversion. Still a long road ahead, tough.
>>
>>39101802
I've been thinking about getting those, where's a good place to buy them?

>>39101797
Usually after I come back from the gym in the morning. I do some yoga to stretch and then meditate for 30 minutes or so
>>
>>39101315
ITT: Losers
>>
>>39101797
Always before going to bed, for 20 minutes. Gonna try with 25 now.
>>
>>39101854
t. Uninstructed worldling
>>
>>39101873
Please, carry on thinking there is some higher power in this miserable existence.
>>
>>39101839
I made my own, my friend, however, I've found certain websites like Wish sell them, but I would recommend making your own, I know this might seem strange, but making your own can help you almost 'bond' with it, truly make it yours, and it helps you really connect with it when you use them in your daily life.

>>39101854
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way, I wish you peace regardless.

>>39101858
Well done, trying to go for longer periods of time will greatly increase your concentration in your daily life, as well as other benefits.
>>
>>39101881
It's not always about a higher power, sometimes it's about finding out exactly who you are, to find your true self, to realize certain things about yourself, to help increase concentration like I mentioned in >>39101887, and in general, it can bring you happiness

There is no need to be hostile to those who have different views to yours.
>>
>>39101881
Read up on Buddhism

>>39101887
Yeah I was thinking about making it myself too, but I couldn't find where to buy some wooden beads. Guess I need to look harder
>>
>>39101929
I'm not sure where you reside, Anon, but I was able to find a lot of the materials for mine at arts and crafts stores, I know it's unorthodox, but surprisingly they had everything from wooden beads, to rope and the like, so I would recommend going past one of those if there's one close to you. :) I'm not sure if these are available outside of Australia, but if so, try a store called Spotlight.
>>
I've been meaning to get back into it and make it a habit. Being overemotional has always been an issue with me, and the times I was able to meditate did help a lot.

I'd love any suggestions in terms of reading or where to properly start. I first got interested in it from Dan Harris and 10% Happier, but I'd love something that goes a bit more into detail and Buddhism.
>>
>>39102074
You need to stat with yourself, my friend, not with a book. Start by finding a time and place in your house when it's its most quiet, sit cross legged, close your eyes, and focus on the air passing in and out of your nose, when you feel like your mind has cleared a little, try and find the reason you find yourself getting too emotional, don't overwhelm yourself, but just it by bit try to understand yourself, try to almost get to know yourself in the most intimate way you can, and when you do, strengthen yourself.
You can do it, my friend, I believe in you.
>>
my zone sucks and it's roo noisy from 7 AM to midnight, so i have only early morning left to try it, but everytime i ADHD my mind to seomthing else, mostly due to anxiety.

will it get better with exercises?
>>
>>39102174
Of course it will, just keep at it, you will reap the rewards just like anything else you work hard at. Your anxiety will lessen more and more.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Sup my guys.
So I took up meditation about two months ago, I usually do it for 10 minutes in the morning and for about 15-20 before going to bed. It's helped me be more in control of my emotions and less depressed. I have more desire to work for the things I want.
I would recommend it for anyone who keeps spending time "relaxing" whatever that may be (drinking, vidya, etc) and never feeling any better or refreshed afterwards.
I find that burning incense or a small dab of doterra oil or other relaxing smell good can help with the immersion and tune of distractions.

Crappy pic on crappy phone, one of my small malas, bought several for literally $1 with free shipping on ebay. I keep a larger one at home that was $5. These are easy to get a hold of for those interested.
>>
>>39102174
maybe try sticking on some headphones

try listening to a raga or some bineural beats, get the app insight timer as well
>>
How do I into meditation? Is focusing on breathing just a meme? I have a very loud inner voice that often repeats random thoughts and statements and it seems impossible to silence it.
>>
>>39102909
This helped me out alot when I first started out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OboD7JrT0NE

But yeah pretty much, you have to learn to not attach yourself to your thoughts, just let it come and go and then return to your breathing
>>
Do you try your best to not follow any thoughts during meditation, or do you use the time to think and plan the day ahead/prepare yourself/reflect on events?
>>
>>39102909
Focusing on breathing isn't a meme. It may be difficult at first to ignore loud thoughts. I find gently mentally repeating a mantra while breathing helps. I use "shu hee" shu for inhale, hee for exhale, a mantra lets the part of you that wants to think out loud be satisfied without getting distracted.
Posture is important but you don't have to have some strict yogi position, that will just be uncomfortable and even more distracting. I cross my legs, sit up straight, wrists down on my knees or just in my lap. Find what is comfortable for you that let's you breathe properly but minimize focus on your body.
>>
File: 1353095198354.jpg (242KB, 800x1086px) Image search: [Google]
1353095198354.jpg
242KB, 800x1086px
>do 10 day vipassana
>meditate daily for ~2 years
>listen to alan watts, t. mckenna n other mystics
>take 35mg 4acodmt
>see/be God/understand everything
>go vegan full bliss positivity yoga fag mode
>light fades to dark
>hate world, pales in the light I have lost
>start lifting, taking creatine, clen n shit
>eat meat
>start smoking
>debauchery, sex, care about nothing
>find mooji, everything makes sense again
>balance achieved
>there is no great happening
>perfection is always here, bliss is always here, the person is in the way
>see behind the person you experience
>still meditate a bit for instant peace, still do yoga, still exercise (rings)
>love yourself, love other, love all, it's all together
>no background, no foreground, no duality
>bathe in this
>>
>>39103225
Depends on what you want or what you find most useful. Sometimes I like to plan my day or reflect on it, use positive thoughts to give me motivation or confidence. Other times simply focusing on breathing and letting my mind clear puts me in a really relaxed, good mood which can make a morning or a bedtime better.

For me it's usually the latter.
>>
File: 1453529724662.jpg (757KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1453529724662.jpg
757KB, 1600x1200px
>>39103320
Left out a few details:
During vegan fag phase
>hitch hiked from canada to mexico, did yoga retreat, tripped at mayan ruins
During lifting phase:
>lived in shitty city apartment that my parent's paid for on the promise I'd get a job and pay them back
>instead beat off and went to gym, no social life
>Went to Arizona and lived in a tent for 2 months, hitch hiked back to Canada
>started smoking in AZ
>got job, paid parents, went to India for Satsang with Mooji and rediscovered self-love and moment-to-moment bliss
>got better job
>presently saving for one-way trip to India, hoping to to just flow from there and not come back to Western civi-lie-zation
>>
>>39103320
I think you have become euphoric, dude
>>
I started 15 minutes a day and added one minute every week. I'm at 40 minutes a day now. It's the best way to build up a habit and the effects are awesome - you get fazed less by the daily turmoil of life. Do it.
>>
File: poop in loop.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
poop in loop.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>39103379
enjoy the designated streets, degenerate
>>
Any good infographics/pics for getting into meditation?
>>
File: 1472739861045.jpg (363KB, 1700x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1472739861045.jpg
363KB, 1700x1065px
>>39103389
>tips ego
>>
>>39103389
L
>>
>>39103379
I'd take a look at Bhutan or Nepal before you commit to India anon.
You seem to have it figured out though.
>>
>>39103649
Anyone else wish they could swim in that? safely of course.
Looks like a thick protein shake.
>>
>>39103414
I can't fathom doing 40 minutes a day. I do 15 minutes a day and have been doing so for 2 years, but I still have days where I can't clear my mind for 15 minutes. 40 minutes to me sounds like some superhuman feat.

I usually wake up, take a caffeine pill, make my bed, lay down on my mat, put the music I'm using on (I've been using github audio https://github.audio/ lately), set a reminder to stop in 15 minutes, finish the 15 minutes, go to the fridge, drink my protein shake, work out if it's a workout day, shower, drink another protein shake, and head off to work.

That has been my routine for the last half a year or so, since I started working out. Before I would just wake up, caffeine pill, meditate, shower, have some breakfast, off to work.

All in all I enjoy the routine. Doing the same thing every morning feels relaxing.
>>
>>39103780
Bhutan is a place I would love to visit but the restrictions on tourism and the forced package deals turn me off. I will definitely be going to Nepal though, I've saved a good amount and am leaving on a one-way ticket with a multiple-entry visa. I just already know what to expect in India and have some people I'd like to see before I go off gallavanting through the himalayas.
>>
>>39103379
you seem like someone who is missing the point

eat more psychedelics
>>
>>39104222
Trips confirm.

Sounds comfy senpai.
>>
>>39104366
what point?
>>
File: 1411944757092.jpg (40KB, 969x545px) Image search: [Google]
1411944757092.jpg
40KB, 969x545px
>>39104366
>more
>amanita muscaria, ibogaine, ayahuasca, 4-ho-met, 4aco-mipt, 2c-i, shrooms, lsd, salvia, 5-meo-dmt, n.n-dmt

yeah, nah, think I'm good at this point
been back to that circle too many times, lost my mind enough, trying to rebuild it and find some sense of humanity in this weird game
>>
>>39101802
I also like "mala beads" (they're called anal beads where I live), every time I get frustrated by something I just take a step back and concentrate on the sensation of the beads inside my rectum for 10-20 seconds. Meditation and "mala beads" really did a lot to reduce my daily stress levels, even my coworkers noticed how calm I've been recently.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.