[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Based Rippetoe does it again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

>There's simply no better way to increase your work capacity than increasing your ability to produce force. If your primary interest is being more effective at moving yourself and/or submaximal or maximal loads more efficiently, training for strength contributes much more to your goal than training for endurance.

>This is the most important thing to understand: strength is the most general of all athletic adaptations. All other physical capacities, such as power (a guy with a 400-pound deadlift cleans more than a guy with a 150-pound deadlift), even balance and coordination depend on the production of force within the physical environment. If strength improves, all other capacities improve with it, to varying degrees.

>For a person who's not strong, time spent getting stronger returns more improvement in all measures of physical capacity than time spent specifically developing any of the other derivative capacities that so many exercise programs consist of.

>This is especially significant when you consider that it just doesn't take very long to substantially increase your strength. Every athlete we've trained for strength who competes in a non-barbell sport reports that strength training has the biggest positive impact on their other abilities (which get trained in sports practice anyway).

>Strength is a very persistent adaptation that doesn't disappear after a layoff. Once a man gets strong, he's always stronger than he was before, even if he quits training, because the long-term adaptations have raised his baseline strength. Getting stronger is "expensive" to your body, and expensive things aren't usually disposed of quickly.

>A bunch of "cardio" or "met-con" absolutely guts your strength progress, while getting stronger improves your work capacity all by itself. There's time to do your conditioning work later – you're not going to die immediately, and if you do, nobody will talk about your shitty 5-mile time.

Cardio bunnies BTFO
>>
>>39092007
https://www.t-nation.com/training/conditioning-is-a-sham
>>
>a runner can't move bales of hay as quickly as I can so you should only do squat, deadlifts, and clean and press

Riveting essay, Rip.
>More importantly, it makes commonly encountered submaximal tasks much easier repetitively, and this is what we mean by "work capacity."
This is the only decent point he makes in that article. Lifting heavy weight for a few reps makes it easier to lift lower weight for more reps. You could try lifting that lower weight for more and more reps, which will help, but what really helps is increasing your maximum.

Still, doesn't mean that you should stop doing other exercises.
>>
>>39092007
>getting stronger improves your work capacity all by itself.
this
>just do SS no cardio
>hike with "fitness enthusiast" friends who run/hike/bike/mudrun at least once a week
>ten minutes in they're all panting
>I haven't even started sweating
>have to wait for them after a long uphill hike
>>
>>39092164
That one point is literally his entire philosophy.

Training for strength makes you better at almost any physical task, so for a person who simply wants to get fitter, getting stronger is by far the best thing they can do.
>>
File: 1475581738061.jpg (93KB, 655x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475581738061.jpg
93KB, 655x800px
>>39092007
>disregards cardio
>fat with manboobs
meanwhile pic related
>"If you only have 20 minutes to work out every day, you should spend all of it doing cardio."
really made me think.
>>
>>39092007
>There's simply no better way to increase your work capacity than increasing your ability to produce force. If your primary interest is being more effective at moving yourself and/or submaximal or maximal loads more efficiently, training for strength contributes much more to your goal than training for endurance.

that's really nice rippetoe, unfortunately to increase strength past the novice stage you must necessarily increase training volume

and to be able to recover from training volume, you must increase work capacity

wow interesting

http://strengtheory.com/increasing-work-capacity/

please listen to somebody who knows what the fuck they're talking about and has taken people past the early intermediate stages of training
>>
>>39092223
Yeah, but his whole "strength base" thing is just some shit he made up. There's nothing wrong with doing "conditioning" while also working towards increasing strength.

I like Rippetoe, but how the fuck are you going to tell people that they need to do SS for half a year before they're allowed to do cardio? It's no surprise that his fanbase consists mostly of stupid DYELs on the internet.
>>
File: DSC02911-300x400.jpg (20KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02911-300x400.jpg
20KB, 300x400px
Never forget
>>
>>39092237
I thought Scooby was a jew. Why do I spy foreskin?

>no homo though
>>
>>39092237
Much as I love goober and think his heart is most definitely in the right place (and that following his advice in general is a recipe for a healthy and productive existence), some of his advice is SEVERELY outdated and his attitude to cardio is a big part of that.

Lifting alone isn't going to make your VO2 max increase to any great extent, that much is true. But lifting WILL make your heart stronger and more efficient in the same way it makes any muscle stronger and more efficient. If you bring cardio into the mix that increased strength will lend itself naturally to increased endurance.

On the other hand, cardio in isolation has RAPID diminishing returns.
>>
File: 14325845648.png (99KB, 442x607px) Image search: [Google]
14325845648.png
99KB, 442x607px
>An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds
>>
>>39092249
Read Practical Programming where he goes into excessive detail how a novice will already have sufficiently increased work capacity to handle the volume needed to progress as an intermediate, and gives numerous examples of how to program for this transition and different styles of routines that lifters and their coaches can adapt to individual needs/physiologies.
>>
>>39092257
>they need to do SS for half a year before they're allowed to do cardio?
To be fair, in the book Rip does recommend doing warmup on a bike or a rowing machine, that's some start.
>>
File: guy laughing.jpg (40KB, 365x327px) Image search: [Google]
guy laughing.jpg
40KB, 365x327px
I mean look at all the amazing cardio athletes the Rippletits camp produced!
>>
File: 9367843.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
9367843.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>39092326
>guy laughing
>>
>stop doing cardio for 3 weeks
>go to gym
>new squat PR
>pass out right afterwards

>start doing cardio again
>go to gym
>new squat PR
>don't pass out right afterwards

I'll stick to my cardio, thanks
>>
File: PIo8E.jpg (209KB, 935x898px) Image search: [Google]
PIo8E.jpg
209KB, 935x898px
LOL
>>
rip is absolutely right. getting stronger increased my work capacity a ton, and back when I tried to run on the off days on SS it just fucked up my strength progress. it makes perfect sense to do SS first and add conditioning when you get to intermediate and above, like rip recommends. obviously if your goal is to run a marathon then you need to train for that, but if you just want to be useful then doing what rip suggests is the way to go.
>>
Does anyone actually think Rippetard is not a meme?
>>
File: mfwpickingstocks.jpg (139KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
mfwpickingstocks.jpg
139KB, 800x533px
>>39093377
Rippetard
>>
>>39092303
for an early intermediate sure, after that you need much more volume especially for the bench press than some shithouse program like Texas Method has

which is where dropping your weights and expanding your volume and tolerance to volume pays dividends

i'm not saying you should go running to increase your volume tolerance, i'm saying as an intermediate it pays to get more volume (which later allows you to get even more volume)

this is the hallmark of all successful programming past early intermediate
>>
>>39092299
Lanklet detected.
>>
>>39092217
Same deal here. I don't do conditioning. When the heavy snows hit I can shovel for four hours at a go without a break.

"Close" is anything I can haul 1/4 my bodyweight for an hour.

"A bit of a walk" is eight miles.
>>
File: 1461536795953.jpg (1MB, 2000x1410px) Image search: [Google]
1461536795953.jpg
1MB, 2000x1410px
If SS is so shit, what beginner program should i choose?
>>
>>39095097
(SS is a meme) is a meme
>>
He's an idiot.

Cardio is not only important for overall health, but conditioning and even low intensity cardio actually does improve work capacity for lifting. This has been shown through research.

So again, he's an idiot.
>>
>>39095097
It's a good program. GOMAD is the meme part. Just eat at a slight surplus and actually do the fucking program (which has 4 phases) and eat lots of protein and sleep a lot.
>>
Why do we consider some fat guy from the south to be the authority on strength training?
>>
Damn that's a lot to read. Good thing I train for aesthetics so i can disregard everything he says
>>
If only this applied to all work that involved strenous physical activity. Im a pallet sorter and I frequently out pace my new supervisor who can bench 350. Having lean muscle and excellent endurance goes a long way in our line of work.
I will come into a floor of 1000 pallets and he will get a 50 pallet head start on me and I will finish 50 pallets ahead of him. I then help him with his side as well. Kind of a dick move if he is the competitve type but I hate to just leave a guy behind.
>>
>>39095166

Because he has the most knowledge and is a leader in his field.
>>
>>39095198
I'm the only guy at work who lifts except for the ex-single-A ball player. We're the only ones capable of doing any sort of sustained physical effort and neither of us do cardio outside of hiking.

We're in a pretty physical environment and are the go-to guys when something physical has to be done. Usually hucking 60 lb buckets around or 40 lb boxes all day.
>>
There's more to life than being strong. Cardio is one of the ingredients to a healthy life.
>>
>>39095218
But he's fat? I don't get it lol
>>
>>39095270
And no pro football coach can take a hit from a 250lb linebacker. So what?
>>
File: PG.jpg (3MB, 1814x1975px) Image search: [Google]
PG.jpg
3MB, 1814x1975px
>Falling for the no cardio meme
>>
>>39095270
this

Rippetoe is what SS will make you look like

not worth it
>>
>>39095229
Pallet guy here. I definitely enjoy the benefits of the physical jobs, its like we're getting paid to excercise. As long as the ergonomics are followed correctly there isnt much pain. I would prefer boxes or buckets to pallets, less akward lifting and smaller chance for strains I'd bet.
>>
Anybody who has actually played any sport -- read: ANY -- knows this isn't true.

Why is /fit/ so fucking stupid
>>
File: image.png (769KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
769KB, 1536x2048px
>>39092007

Something key to understand about Rip is how he defines "cardio."

In one of his books, he says that walking an hour shouldn't even be considered exercise, it is shopping at the mall.

Also, Rip mowed lawns while training in his youth, so general activity isn't bad (he says this).

Thus, one could rightly conclude that an hour of walking or running less than 20 minutes on rest days wouldn't interfere with Starting Strength.
>>
>>39095361
Rippetoe is a more successful version of Jason Blaha, with more hair.
>>
>>39093160
Ill bite.

He didnt do shit. If he had, his delts/traps would tell.
>>
>>39095166
Im sick of you, why cant you die. How do i block you?
>>
>>39095345
What kind of job is pallet sorter? Sort the blue ones from the non blue ones and the plastic ones? Why are they unsorted in the first place? You'd think the people who unload product from them would stack pallets orderly then put them in the trucks back to whereever.
>>
>>39095600
I'll bite.

It's a reversed before and after weight loss picture with "Starting Strength" added to it. Like all the others.
>>
>>39095345
Never pulled a muscle or anything either. Sometimes we do 110-120# barrels too. As long as you brace yourself properly and don't do dumb shit you're fine.
>>
>>39095493
Rip's the kind of guy who would espouse an active lifestyle in general: outdoor pursuits like hiking, kayaking, hunting, chopping firewood, etc., all fit in with that. You don't need to run for miles if you're a strength athlete but you do need to move. No one should be sedentary. Even if you're an office drone there are plenty of ways to get moving at home, plant and tend a garden, hit the trails on the weekends, take your dog on long walks, etc. We're not a species meant to be cooped up inside staring at blue light all day.
>>
>>39095787
I'm really disappointed this isn't recognized more often. We've seen again and again that getting stronger happens between workouts, when you recover. If you strenuously tax your body, is it resting? Of course not. However, light use is essentially the best course of action when recovering from any stress, ie. being reasonably physically active. Increased blood flow and movement helps everything in the body, but stressing it chronically does not.
>>
whilst i'm sure strength training as an addition to other kinds of excercises could be beneficial, first hand the notion that strength training alone will give one's self a rounded athletic ability is untrue

i box and have seen alot of bodybuilders come into boxing and they can't skip for more than like five minutes, and lack explosive power (forgive me if the term is crude but it's the best way i can describe it)

i also work as a bricklayer and all the quickest, fittest brickies i know who can smash em in are skinny little non-smokers

you're kidding yourself if you think that strength training alone will make you a rounded athlete
>>
>>39096221
It's like you didn't even read it. All he says is that improving your strength is more beneficial for improving general life and athletic abilities in beginners than doing burpees and hill sprints. He never says that strength training alone makes an athelete. He says that sport related skills are learned in practice. Also one of the FOUR fucking excercises in the SS base program is a power clean. Oly lifts are explosive as fuck.
>>
>>39092261
what you think you see as foreskin is actually his entire dickhead
>>
>>39093719
This is how I know you don't know what Rippetoe actually advises non-novice trainees to do.

The texas method as-written is a STARTING POINT used so a lifter doesn't do more than they need to until it becomes clear that they need to do it. It isn't intended to be run that way forever. One of the principle modifications made to it is adding extra volume sets as 5x5 ceases to be enough to push adaptation. Other adaptations include adding additional training days to allow additional volume.

He also heavily promotes a Heavy/Light/Medium scheme which is progressed after an initial run by adding more and more training days to the point where you'd be running multiple training sessions a day.
>>
>>39095166
Texas isn't The South, friend.
>>
>>39095097
Me on the right
>>
>>39095097
SS works, stop falling for memes.
>>
>>39095361
This

I played baseball and basketball. My swing and throw definitely improved by hitting the gym and ignoring my cardio but fuck me is getting through a basketball game hard without fitness. As in losing my explosiveness hard.
>>
>>39092007
You're all aware there's an assumption of baseline fitness for athletes and Rip's saying the marginal gains on endurance are inferior to strength, right? Please tell me you don't think he's about to tell a bunch of soccer players who can't run a 5km to go bench.
>>
>>39096221
james?
>>
>>39098917
yeah lol who dis ?owen or laurence?
>>
>>39092007
>Getting stronger is "expensive" to your body, and expensive things aren't usually disposed of quickly.

I dunno man. Getting muscular and heavy isn't very beneficial in terms of evolution, as it costs energy and protein to maintain that kind of mass... so, logically, I think the body would want to dispose of any leftover strength that it doesn't use.
>>
>>39099063
seconded
>>
>>39099063
Strength doesn't mean muscle mass
>>
>>39099101
I think muscle mass usually follows along as you get stronger
>>
>>39095097
Do SL and add some extra like lat pulldowns
>>
>>39092237
Scooby wants you to do cardio so you'll become a twink so he can fuck your boipucci
>>
>>39099063
but thats just it; you're conflating strength with mass
just look at clarence, there are thousands of men the same size as him that can't move half the weight he can, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QCj6Ek-REg and if he dropped bodyweight he'd still be outrageously strong, just less than currently, but still vastly stronger than an average lets say 85 kilo man,
getting bigger does come with getting stronger but the muscular adaption is subtly different to that of just pumping your muscles over and over to increase their size, it makes sense that it would stick around longer
>>
ITT we dont read rip's actual books and argue about memes
>>
>>39092007
That's Roger Estep though
>>
>>39092260
Someone post the shoop with chloe
>>
>>39092249
>please listen to somebody who knows what the fuck they're talking about and has taken people past the early intermediate stages of training
This.
Every good coach recommends to do some kind of cardio - from simple running/swimming to kettlebell swings and prowler. But MUH GREAT RIPP that doesn't train any good athlete thinks opposite.
>>
>>39092308
>warmup on a bike or a rowing machine
This is not cardio
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.