[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2 months in, any input? I never touched a weight prior to 9/15

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: progress.jpg (65KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
65KB, 1000x600px
2 months in, any input?

I never touched a weight prior to 9/15 but started doing something close to SS with a lot of accessory lifts. I've been eating near maintenance cals a day just in an effort to gain a little muscle while not putting on too much extra fat.

I like the direction I'm going in since my lifts have all gone up a lot for me (just used bench as an example). I'm happy to keep doing this until they stall. also, it may not look like it, but I feel like my body looks better despite weighing near the same. I'd like to drop some more weight without losing my beginner gains, so any advice for that would be appreciated.

I know my progress could be a lot better and obviously I'm nowhere near my goal but I'm in it for the long haul and want to do it right. any advice would be appreciated!
>>
Try eating a little less than maintenance, or throwing in some more cardio, until your lifts start to stall.
>>
>>39091505
also, just for clarification my goal is to look normal with a shirt off. not worried about zyzz mode and don't care about actual number on the scale I end up at
>>
>>39091514
cool, would like 1800 be good if my maintenance is 2000? or would you recommend a bigger deficit? my only concern is not progressing any more but you're prolly right to just test a deficit and add more cals if they stall
>>
>>39091505
Read the sticky fatso
>>
File: 1381517831094.gif (1MB, 235x179px) Image search: [Google]
1381517831094.gif
1MB, 235x179px
>>39091505
i can see huge difference already. just make sure you don't lose too much weight too fast or you will be stuck with lots of loose skin. moisturize and massage it daily, especially around your belly.

depending on your height your last picture looks like an average person so you have two choices now

A) keep it slow like you are doing now and eat around 300 under maintenance

or

B) eat at maintenance and continue to lift heavy and let your body recomp slowly.

it's up to you but make sure to recalculate your TDEE roughly every 2 weeks.

good luck
>>
2 months? More like 2 years you fucking liar
>>
>>39091581
thanks so much,that means a lot. under 300 sounds like a plan. and I'm 5'10 btw
>>
>>39091505
you're well into the 20% range and a beginner with little lean body mass so you can actually diet a bit heavier and still put on decent strength and mass.
All eating at maintenance did was slow down your weight loss.

Just up your protein and lower your fat and carbs. 60% 20% 20% and add in a bit of aerobics. Nothing too strenuous, just some daily walking.

Later you can add some HIIT.
>>
>>39091678
Cool, very good to know.do you agree with a 300 cal deficit or could i do more?
>>
>>39091622
at that height/weight you are almost done losing weight if you ask me. i'd say that you are at around 22-25% BF now but you should def measure yourself. going down to around 165 is the lowest i would go because you will actually look worse if you continue to lose weight with no muscles.

i'd say once you are in the 15-20% BF range start eating at maint until your lifts stall then start eating at +200-300 over maint on workout days and at maint on rest days.

oh and if you are doing SS don't forget to do assistance exercises such as BB rows, chin ups, dips, etc.
>>
>>39091799
>>39091678
I still weigh more than most of my friends though who have what I consider "normal" looking bodies (most of whom are 5'10, about 175lbs). it'd be different if I had a lot of muscle, but obviously I'm still a little below average in that respect. as I mentioned before, my goal is just to look more normal and proportionate, not worried about becoming zyzz or fully cut otter mode.

and also, assuming my body weight in current pic is 23%, any estimate for what my body weight in pic 1 was? it's ok if it didn't go down that much, just curious
>>
>>39091940
oops meant body fat
>>
>>39091787
You can go as low as 750 cals.
But once you hit the 15% range you're going to have to start eating at and slightly over maintenance to build muscle.
>>
File: fat-vs-muscle.jpg (52KB, 604x343px) Image search: [Google]
fat-vs-muscle.jpg
52KB, 604x343px
>>39091940
hard to say because there are many factors but probably around 30.

i'd say that in your last pic you already look normal. you are seriously overestimating how normal people look. normal as in people who don't exercise at all but aren't fat either.

everyone hates the way they look and will always find others in better shape even if that's not true. it's a psychological thing.

just read FAQ it has all the information you need: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh%27s_Worksheet_(WIP)

if your goal is to look good then do a slow bulk (+200-300 kcal over maint.) once you hit <20% BF. you have the perfect body for such recomp.
>>
>>39092108
He's already over 20% bodyfat.
He doesn't need to bulk.
>>
>>39091968
there is a limit of how low you can go before you start losing muscle mass and that limit is at

TDEE - (current weight in lbs * 3.2)

or

TDEE - ((curr. weight in kg * 2.2) * 3.2) for non retarded units

so if your TDEE is 2000 and your current weight 163 lbs, the lowest you can go before you start loosing muscle mass would be 1478 kcal/day.
>>
File: 54354353.jpg (182KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
54354353.jpg
182KB, 1200x900px
>>39092124
>once you hit <20%
>>
>>39092169
Is that really the answer to losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously? just eat your TDEE as your deficit while lifting? because I feel like everywhere acts like it's some riddle that can't be busted unless you're a special type of person
>>
Shave your chest, looks like pubes
>>
>>39092231
would it hurt my beginner gains?
>>
>>39091505
>2 months

Come back in 2 years.
>>
How much longer until I can recomp.

Im so tired of being fat and weak.
>>
>>39092209
They act like it's a riddle or challenge because they want to sell you something.
>>
File: 23lntav.gif (3MB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
23lntav.gif
3MB, 280x200px
>>39092209
there are two types of strength gains; neurological and by increasing your muscle mass.

if you've never lifted before then what you are currently experiencing is mostly neurological gain. your body is making new connections in your muscles which is what's making your stronger. imagine pointing your hands at one another and locking your fingers. first do this with only 1 finger on each hand and pull apart as hard as you can. then try 2 fingers, then 3. the more you use, the stronger you can pull. this is essentially how muscles work.

this is what allows novice lifters to progress linearly at the start, however this stops at some point since neurological gains after some point are very slow compared to increasing muscle mass which is done by simply eating at caloric surplus.

this why people who never lifted before can actually gain strength and lose fat at the same time. it hardly has anything to do with muscle mass. after some point though you have to start eating at a surplus to grow your muscles to allow more connections. bigger muscles = more new connections = more strength.

so if you are a beginner then yes, you can eat under your TDEE and gain strength but up to a point. once you hit that point your neural connections in muscles are mostly maxed and the only way to increase them is to grow the muscle to allow more connections.

muscle growth is also limited per week. studies say that it's around 0.2 kg/week, and fat/muscle gain is 1:1 unless you are on steroids. so gaining more than 0.5 kg/week is mostly pointless.
>>
>>39092306
you should be recomping for a while now. in your last picture you aren't even fat, you just have lots of loose skin.

i'd dare to say you should even eat at a surplus.
>>
File: 1471744693414.png (765KB, 865x473px) Image search: [Google]
1471744693414.png
765KB, 865x473px
>>39092306
Hey dude good fuckin job! Just gave me some motivation for at the gym man, keep at it!
>>
>>39091533
You don't now, but when you really start to see the results you'll wanna be shredded
>>
>>39092306
Start now, breh. You'll look good once you fill out that loose skin.
>>
>>39092384
> studies say that it's around 0.2 kg/week

M-m-uh rippletits says I can gain 20kg of pure muscle in 12 weeks!!111!!
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.