[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

work out with dumbbells

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 742370_58160536.jpg (175KB, 1500x1118px) Image search: [Google]
742370_58160536.jpg
175KB, 1500x1118px
Is it possible to work out just with dumbbells?
I don't want to get massive just keep myself fit.
The next Gym is 40 minutes away and I don't have time for that, but I'm considering to buy some dumbbells for working out at home.
>>
>>39068634
no, get a rack with olympic bar
>>
Yeah, man. Just do lots of curls and you're good.
>>
>>39068653
This
>>
File: convict-conditioning-summary.jpg (663KB, 3060x1628px) Image search: [Google]
convict-conditioning-summary.jpg
663KB, 3060x1628px
>>39068634
if you get an adjustable angle bench with dumbells that go up to 70 or 80, and a pull-up bar, you should be able to do practically every lift that youd reasonably need to be fit. that said, Ive never tried squatting or deadlifting with dumbells, and at any rate, even 2 80 lb dbs would be an incredibly low amount of weight to use for either. so maybe just replace those with one-legged squats and bridges, as in pic related. pic related overall has some good exercises you might want to complement your routine
>>
>>39068634
Yes, I do this. i fucking hate the gym.Have been making decent progress the past 6 months or so. I have a bench and 2 adjustable dumb bells. Also I do some body weight stuff like sit ups, push ups, dips and pullups (pull up bar comes in handy too for the home set up.)
I am getting a free weight set soon enough tho...I really want to be able to do proper squats and bench presses at home
>>
>>39068634
You can look up dumbell exercises for pretty much every muscle on exrx but at the end of the day you're going to run out of weight.
>>
>>39068634
>I don't want to be massive

Mindset confirmed for going nowhere and giving up on dbs in a week
>>
>>39068634
Sure you could. You can target every muscle group using just DBs + bench + a floor and assuming you are dedicated, eat well and have good form you'll look good.

You need to learn all the exercises though and keep track of what you're doing, and thats going to take a lot of time.
>>
>>39068634

No
>>
>>39068830
i work out at planet fitness, where they dont have barbells other than retarded, angled-track smith machines and their dbs only go up to 75. to compensate Ive been using leverage, like doing flies for chest, and doing extremely slow and controlled reps for things like bench and rows.
>>
>>39068653
Correct answer.

/thread
>>
Read the sticky
also
>>>scoobysworkshop
>>
>>39068928
Get a new gym. Or, better yet, take what you spend there in a year and get your own shit off craigslist.
>>
>>39069328
wtf could i get that would be better than a full gym with slightly gimped weights for $145? and how am i going to move that when i end up moving, which is relatively soon and often
>>
>>39069456
I once got a brand new squat rack from Amazon for $70 and 400 pounds of weights and three bars for $40 on craigslist.
>>
>>39070848
and it wasnt a flimsy home guillotine?
>>
>>39068634
Scobbys intermediate DB PPL isn't bad if you aren't all about 1RM and shit.

PUSH
DB Bench 3X6-12
DB Flys 3X6-12
DB Press 3X6-12
Side Lateral 3X6-12
DB Skullcrushers 3X6-12
FOREARMS + CORE + CARDIO

PULL
Pull-ups 3XF
DB Row 3X6-12
DB Curls 3X6-12
Rear Delt Raise 3X6-12
DB Shrugs 3X6-12
FOREARMS + CORE + CARDIO

LEG
Lunges 3X6-12
SLDL 3X6-12
Calf Raise 3X6-12
DB Front Squat 3X6-12
Glute Raise 3X6-12
FOREARMS + CORE + CARDIO

FOREARMS
Wrist Curls 3X6-12
Reverse Wrist Curls 3X6-12

CORE
Rotisserie 2REV

CARDIO
20min
>>
>>39071438
The bars were 1" bars but the weights were fine and the squat rack is fantastic.

>>39072453
Will this make me be a faggot with gyno and retarded speech like scooby?
>>
>>39068710
Two 80lb dumbells is 160lbs, and dumbells require more strength for the same weight as barbells.

160lb dumbell squat isn't bitch weight.
>>
>>39072685
>Will this make me be a faggot with gyno and retarded speech like scooby?
Don't sell yourself short, you're already there man.

>>39072855
DBs require about 10-15% more effort, in order to get a decent response an intermediate lifter needs to use at least around 65-70% of 1RM.

If your goal is to get to the equivalent of a 3.5plt squat that would be 0,85*0,65*160kg/2 = 44,2kg per DB, just short of 100lbs.

That is going to be pretty expensive if you go for a full set or very awkward to lift if you go for adjustable DBs. Probably the best option is to get the 100lbs or 120lbs version of powerblocks - but that will set you back 800-1200$ if you add a basic bench and a pull-up bar. For that money you can get a decent barbell, plenty of weight and a half-rack.

In the end, setting up a home gym around DBs will not be cheaper than a barbell set-up once you are a couple of months into your first intermediate programme (probably even sooner.)

If you can snag some DBs for cheap and are a dyel who want's to train at home for a couple of months it's okay, beyond that barbell is king. Maybe get a cheap adjustable DB set for lateral raises and shit like that.
>>
>>39068634

I bought cheap dumb bells to work out at home and what it did was motivate me to learn how to use the bar and squat rack at my local community center. $20 well spent, even if all they do now is collect dust in the corner.
>>
>>39068634
Yes
rows, curls, triceps extensions, chest press, shoulder press, squats, shrugs

Everything can be done with dumbbells
Unless you want to like, do deadlifts or something
It's good for beginners and getting all your noob gainz, but you have to use a barbell eventually if you want to go olympic
>>
>>39073031
Hi, Scooby.
>>
>>39073537
I started training using dumbbells and would stiff-leg deadlift with them. Helps with leg flexibility much more than barbell deadlifts desu. Getting that flexibility early on has been helpful.
>>
>>39073031
>DBs require about 10-15% more effort, in order to get a decent response an intermediate lifter needs to use at least around 65-70% of 1RM.
>If your goal is to get to the equivalent of a 3.5plt squat that would be 0,85*0,65*160kg/2 = 44,2kg per DB, just short of 100lbs.
lolololololololololol

I can bench press 100 lbs dumbbells for reps and I assure you my 1RM on a barbell is nowhere near 3.5 plate.

Also, even if your math were correct somehow, it wouldn't apply to a squat, because the inherent instability that requires "10-15% more effort" doesn't apply to your legs, dumbass. In a squat, it's still your arms stabilizing the dumbbells.
>>
>>39074546
>Equivalent of 1RM.
Perhaps I should have been more precise because you probably didn't catch the part where I said DBs are not well suited if you care about 1RM and based my calculation on an intermediate lifters needs:
>Equivalent in terms of adaptation to someone who 1RMs that weight.

If a 100lbs DB bench is 65% of your predicted max ie. you can do 20 reps without cheating or resting: then you should have the equivalent adaptational level (along the novice-intermediate-advanced axis) of someone who benches 360 for 1RM. The difference will obviously be the relationship between hypertrophy, metabolic adaptation and CNS efficiency. That's why you don't see too many BBs pulling as much weight as power-lifters - the muscle is there, but the neural adaptation is not, hence:
>>39072453
>DB isn't bad if you aren't all about 1RM and shit.
>>
>>39074546
>the inherent instability that requires "10-15% more effort" doesn't apply to your legs, dumbass. In a squat, it's still your arms stabilizing the dumbbells.

It would apply even more to squats than bench if you maintained the same position as in bar squats since the kinetic chain is longer. The additional instability of the weight would require work trough all of it to compensate - your arms are still attached to your body. The obvious way to get around that is to rest the DBs on your shoulders or let them hang, in the latter case you can use them to balance yourself.
>>
File: 1473471090959.jpg (54KB, 508x512px) Image search: [Google]
1473471090959.jpg
54KB, 508x512px
>it's another "I don't want to get too big" thread
>>
i lost 77 pounds, got in shape on diet, dumbells, push-ups and walking only.

after getting to the weight i wanted (86 kilos), i added pull and chin-ups, jumping jacks, burpees, "kettlebell" swings (actually remove the bar and swing the weights).

all at home, been on it for years. only take whey and multivitamins.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.