[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Goin to a boxing gym for the first time tomorrow, what should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (54KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 640x429px
Goin to a boxing gym for the first time tomorrow, what should I know? I've played sports before (rugby football track powerlifting, I swim etc) so I'm pretty athletic. I have long arms and around 5'11 200lbs. But I'm lean , use to hover around 180. Sure I could get back to that
But a nigga lazy since I stopped playing sports.
Changing that tomorrow.
Pic related, I like George groves no homo. I wanna have the footwork/technique he does
>>
do as much sparring as you can, but leave your ego at the door. at 200lbs, you probably can beat some of the people there just by being strong and resilient, but there is no point, you are not gonna learn anything like that. when you spar, focus on technique. on your first classes you will learn all the proper punches and all the basic ways to defend agaisnt the basic punches. when you spar, focus on defending exactly like you learned. it's difficult at first beause your instinct tells you to block all over the place and swing wildly, but on the long run you'll be glad tyou developed the right reflexes.
>>
>>39062148
also always wear your mouthpiece, and refuse to spar with someone who doesn't have a mouthpiece. it takes NOTHING no break a tooth.
>>
>>39062148
I've had a few "fights" basically sparring fucking around and just swinging wildly with the boys attempting to hit each other as hard as possible with the gloves. So I get ya on that I'm gonna try and go straight by the books before branching out so I don't learn bad habits.
I thought I should be on the heavy bag for awhile before sparring? Or doing mitt work
>>
>>39062148
>>39062161
Dont listen to this pussy shit. Once your gloves are on let your primal instincts take over and break as many jaws as you can. You dont get better at fighting by learning a bunch of pussy ass techniques.
>>
>>39062226
If I have the power I most definitely will. But I want to have technique too. I wanna beat people up aesthetically
>>
>>39062226
Don't listen to this dickhead, you'll get yourself kicked out of the gym for being too aggressive, the point of sparring is to increase skill, not hurt your fucking training partner.
>>
File: 1429308190109.jpg (102KB, 400x648px) Image search: [Google]
1429308190109.jpg
102KB, 400x648px
>>39062226
God damnit
>>
>>39062373
Yeah if you're in some pussy ass gym where you'll never make it anyway.
I mean in my gym we obviously dont spar at full max either, but they definitely dont pull any punches. We got a lot of pretty nicely ranked dudes too, me included
>>
>>39062481
Post stats.
I agree with the other anons though. While aggression is needed most definitely, skill and technique along with straight nastiness is superior. I learned this in rugby. Nasty skills, daddy like
>>
>>39062373
Spoken like a true pussy. Come to my gym, Big P will break your jaw but maybe you'll learn a thing or two about fighting.
>>
>>39062111
Keep your hands up, stay loose and work your double jab

Anytime you're in trouble use your jab in multiples. Being pressured? Nice fast double jab to keep them at bay and set you up for bigger shots.

And footwork is key Bruv. I've been boxing 7 years and the guys down my club jokingly complain I'm terrible to spar with because I'm awkward and I'm fast, but I believe that awkwardness comes from good footwork making angles and good distance control. I use my lead foot to measure my distance and i use a nice soft jab often in multiples to set up bigger shots without committing too much. Don't always have to throw hard, throw soft and pick your big shots in combination. If you throw hard chances are you won't be able to throw another shot after it. You want to throw in combination especially at amateur level.

Ultimately everything has a time and a place, no point in throwing out your jab if it keeps being countered so take everything I said as contextual. But man if you're in trouble keep that back hand up and work your double jab.
>>
>>39062481
I disagree. You should punch hard enough that your opponent needs to block your blow and will regret it if he doesn't, but there's no way you should be breaking somebody's bones during sparring.

I'm basing this off of my training to date under Brent Russell, former 6x muaythai Canadian super middle weight champion.

>>39062111
Long arms are nice - I'm pretty lanky, too. If you're like me, then 90% of what you throw is going to be jabs. It'll take a while to get used to that. Are you a southpaw? Planning on going MMA/kickboxing, or just boxing?
>>
>>39062721
I'm right handed . And just boxing right now I don't think I have the flexibility for mma and all that, my legs are bulky . I don't even know if I wanna compete just mainly get into better shape and I think it'll be fun to learn somethin new
>>
>>39062918
That's how I started - I was bored and felt like something new. I picked up things quickly and ended up competing about 7 months into training in a semi-contact competition. Took 2 golds! I'd tend to say that tournaments are worth it, just to see how you compare to people from other gyms and for the exposure to other styles.

Bulky legs aren't really a problem. Flexibility comes with time and training. Don't do MMA if you don't feel like it though. MMA training demands more time and effort than most people are comfortable putting into a hobby.
>>
>>39062302
You wont "have the power". Not the first time you go and not the 50th time you go. Punching power is all about technique and technique takes time to cultivate.

Do NOT be that guy who just throws wild full power haymakers the first time you enter the fucking ring. Try to improve your technique first and learn proper boxing guard and footwork. Do that for at least few months. Powerful punches will come naturally to you if you do that.

Your sparring partners will try to take it easy at first and will not throw 100% of their power at you, unless you try to do that yourself.

For all the sports you've played, you know absolutely nothing about being fit until you do two hours of a proper boxing workout, trust me. And despite the fact that it is quite obvious, /fit/ is not the best place to receive advice about combat sports. Most of the guys on here are all about GAINZZ and know absolutely nothing about any form of martial training.

t. boxing fag
>>
>>39062111
What should you know? Just do what they fucking tell you.
>>
File: 1226266408390.jpg (15KB, 275x223px) Image search: [Google]
1226266408390.jpg
15KB, 275x223px
>>39062226
fuckin lol'd
>>
>>39062111
dont go full power except on the heavy bag.
focus on technique or you risk injury.

you prob wont be allowed to spar when starting out, so watch how others spar and learn from it, especially footwork. a fighter's range is determined by his type of footwork. over time you can get a feel of what to do.

the way you think about fighting matters too.
most people think they can go in and just muscle through, but strength and speed leaves you when you get old, technique doesnt. if you have good technique you will be more consistant in your performance, as opposed to being shit on bad days.

also when training on the bag, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP. even when they do speed or strength drills, always keep them there.

punch goes out, then hand comes straight back to the chin. no arcs, no going wide, just straight back. if you get good habits in training on the bag, you will have them in the ring.

contrary to what some people say here, I feel that a strong lead jab is a necessity. many people learn fast flicker jabs to find range, distract, etc. but at the end of the day, from onset you need ot make your opponent afraid of it, such that they're afraid of closing range on you. that way you control them mentally. then you can go with the flicker jabs for setups.
I say this because the jab is the most important punch in all of boxing. make sure you get it downpacked before you start perfecting all your other punches, because its a convenient opener, deterrant, distractor, and range finder. as a lanky guy you'll find you do best as an out-boxer, so its even more essential to learn in order to reliably land 1-2s.
>>
>>39064049
this guy gets it.

sparred with a physio once. he lasted 50 seconds.
>>
File: 1465415989633.png (39KB, 184x246px) Image search: [Google]
1465415989633.png
39KB, 184x246px
>>39062226
>>
>>39062721
Lol 3x world thai champ here... Shhh please.

Advice, don't be a dick. Don't do to others what you don't want back. If your going to any decent gym you'll be the class bitch who everyone plays nice with..size isn't anything when you don't know how to fight half these people here are just jokes.

Sparr at 60-80% don't be a dick unless you want it back. Remember your the newbie and respect.

>Tomahawk out
>>
>>39064164
Wow, havent seen a nick plott reaction img outside of /v/.

Nice.
>>
>>39064164
TASTELESS!!
>>
>>39064049
I know nothing of being fit? Don't try and get high and mighty on me now I could same the same to you never playing a full 80 minute rugby match. I've worked hard as fuck day one. I was exaggerating on letting loose especially with sparring. But I was just acknowledging the primal aspect and aggression that goes along with ALL sports
>>
>>39062481
talking like this will get you a match with the owner and he will knock your ass down until you can't get up.
>>
>>39062111
when you spar try not to tense up

stay relaxed, dont be afraid to get hit, look for openings and time your combinations, get a rhythm going on, move your feet, alotta new guys get suprised by the fact that you actually have to dash first THEN throw the combo. lead in with the jab
>>
Work in front of a mirror. Shadowbox way more than you hit the heavy bags. Jump rope. Try to buddy up to everyone in the gym, then when you're doing some dumb shit form-wise, they'll be more ready to call you out and help fix your shit. Practice footwork whenever you're doing nothing, I do it while I'm cooking. First time sparring, remember to to breathe. Never hit the bags without hand wraps, you'll begin micro-fractures in your hands until you hit one day and break your shit.
>>
Many thanks for advice gents wish me look I go in this evening. The gyms only open 5-8 pretty weird
>>
File: joe-frazier.jpg (69KB, 831x1089px) Image search: [Google]
joe-frazier.jpg
69KB, 831x1089px
You'll be taught high guard, footwork, the straight punches (jab and cross). Boxing gyms don't usually show different punches or movements until you've got the very basic stuff down. Don't be surprised if you're arms get fatigued fast from the punching bag. Also don't be surprised that you gas out fast the first time you spar despite being in great shape. When you spar your eyes will flinch, your body will be tense and it will be harder to think about what's happening. You're not a pussy this is natural reaction and even the pros went through this phase.

pic related my favorite boxer. joe fraizer. one of the toughest motherfuckers who ever lived.
>>
Good advice here.

As everyone with a clue is saying, take it easy and be cool when you're starting out and focus on learning the techniques.

If you try to dominate people with your size and weight then you will be put back in your place by someone better. Think teamwork like rugby and you will be fine.

Let us know how it goes.
>>
>>39062226
Has never been in a fight, ever: The Post.
>>
Be humble, pay attention, work hard.
>>
you will get desperately fucked up by everybody if you act like a cunt in sparring. be fucking humble mate.
>>
File: elephantvskitten.png (170KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
elephantvskitten.png
170KB, 500x375px
Remember, you have to relax your grip to catch the leaves. Also, always shower naked.
>>
>>39068974
I swear ippo was made for homos just as much as it was for sporting fans
>>
>>39064049
this is the best post.
>>
>>39064138
>make your opponent afraid of it
Fucking yes. Did wrestling and had a mean forearm move. Got my ass kicked a lot but everyone hated the forearm and wouldn't get too close off the mat.
>>
>>39068841
They're not gonna have him spar on his first day
>>
Do you bring your own gloves? Im 5'11 195 def interested in boxing once a week
>>
>>39062111
You will be blowing out of your arse mate. I was in every sports team at school and have had a life long love of boxing, nowadays doing it up to 5 times a week. Theres nothing harder than boxing imo, you will be knackered, doesnt matter how fit you get, it never gets easier. Any boxing on your first sesh will be easy going. Body only, so you will gave lots of bruising on arms next day from blocking.

Have fun mate.
>>
>>39071023
*Body only, so you will have lots of bruising on arms next day from blocking.
>>
>>39071008
You need your own hand wraps, and a gum shield if you want to spar. Some gyms have gloves and head gear that you can use. Most people bring their own anyway.

Bring clean trainers, don't wear the dirty shoes you walked to the gym in. After a while you can get boxing boots that support your ankles.

Bring a sweat towel and a big bottle of water. Have a couple of rest days before your first session because it's fucking intense. Lifting weights is easy in comparison.
>>
Just hoppin in this thread, if anyone wants some good wraps I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJUI57U

they don't have a stupid fuckboy logo like most wraps
>>
My shoulders are gonna need to get stronger to keep my arms up and I'm goin again tomorrow and staying a bit longer gonna practice jab a shit load and straight like today. Then work the hook or uppercut into it . And do repetitions . I need to get a solid routine to stick with I can do on my own honestly
>>
>>39072687
Op here. To tag on to that I just got out . It was a good ass workout , like an exercise class for about 1 hour then I did some stand alone training on the heavy bag and speed bag for like 30 minutes I didn't wanna over do it the first day. The workout was standard boxing shit like box jumps, sit ups , heavy bag work and sprints at the end. But it's different each time. We did core for like 20 minutes like in football . Getting back into cardio shape is gonna whoop my ass
>>
Not OP but how hard is it to be not only a switch hitter but also a switch stylist? I want to switch from orthodox to south paw and from in fighting to out boxing on a dime.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.