[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GYM RED FLAGS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: gymfloor.jpg (2MB, 2716x1561px) Image search: [Google]
gymfloor.jpg
2MB, 2716x1561px
Alright so I'm skelly as fuck and like 140 pounds with a metabolism faster than a jiggaboo on a stolen bike. I'm looking in to getting a gym membership and bulk up but I'm not going to know what the fuck I'm talking about and I'm afraid I'll get played. Are there and red flags I should be looking for when I apply? Thanks /fit/
>>
Dont go to planet fitness
>>
>>39045641
pizza bulking tho
>>
One huge red flag is when you are told you have a huge metabolism. There are no special snowflakes. Eat more.
>>
Pick a routine, then visit gyms until you find on nearby within your budget that has everything you need.
Also don't go to Planet Fatness.
>>
>>39045654
this
>>
walk through with trainer and free consultation

you could pull a 5pl8 dl and they'd tell you you're bp is a little high or that you're breathing heavy

just be wary and say you'll think about it and walk away, it'll be high pressure. if you wanna way out tell them you'll talk to ur mom
>>
>more cardiovascular equiptment than weights.
>tiny weight area.
>less than 3 power racks.
>no complimentary or house squat plugs.
>>
>muh metabolism
triggered
>>
>>39045654
If I eat a balanced diet how do I keep up gaining the pounds? Should I eat everything more or just the protein and carbs and what not?
>>
>>39045666
Thanks I'll take notes of that and keep an eye out.
>>
>>39045659
>>39045655
Noted. My blood pressure is pretty low though.
>>
>>39045641
>>39045655

whats wrong with planet fitness?
>>
>>39045654
while eat more is literally always the right answer with weight gain, i am here to tell you that eating ENOUGH can be a struggle for some. i need to eat like 3300 cals to maintain my bodyweight and thankfully i have a huge appetite so i'm never really full from that. bulking takes about 4k for me but i am wel aware that many people simply can't stuff that much food into their mouths unless they go super unhealthy mode.
>>
>>39045607
don't go to planet fitness
>>
>>39045607
>full stack only goes up to 100lbs

mfw
>>
>>39045724
it's a "gym" for fatties, not a real gym. only acceptable if it's literally the only gym you can go to
>>
have a look round the place. oly bars, benches, racks, cages, straight pull up bars, dipping stations, heavy dumbbells. this sort of thing isn't hard to find. bonus points for more obscure stuff like EZ bars, fat bars, oly flooring and chains. if it has only a smith machine for compound barbell movements and a bunch of dumbbells that go no higher than 40kg or something, find another one - these gyms aren't what you need - you wouldn't use a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

as far as cardio equipment goes, if it has them, great. if not buy a jump rope or some running shoes

unless you're bodybuilding you shouldn't even touch machines. cables are ok but not preferable to free weights. i'd only use cables for things like rehabbing injuries and maybe for mobility work.
>>
>>39045728
what do you weigh, 250lb? Why would you want to maintain that?
>>
>>39045850
Define bodybuilding. I want to bulk up to like 200 pounds.
>>
>>39045607

>Muh metabolism

Pretty red, baka
>>
>>39045960
180lbs.

yes i have counted my cals correctly. that's what i eat unless the packets on my food are all wrong or my scales are calibrated wrong.
>>
>>39045773
>>39045754
>>39045641
Is there anything ACTUALLY wrong with planet fitness?
Seems like a good deal since it's cheap as fuck and the fatties don't show up/spend the entire time on the treadmill anyway.
>>
>>39045989
just youtube it, people get kicked out for making grunts/noises. if a weight is too heavy for you and you have to drop it to prevent injury then bye bye
>>
>>39045700
Make sure to ask about the plugs specifically, they aren't usually kept on display.
>>
>>39045989
its a place where lifting propery is discouraged

if you pick the right gym, you can make a ton of buddies, share advice and experiences about lifting, and push each other to new heights.

go to planet fitness and you're likely to at least once be denied entry to the gym while some women's only seminar or something takes place. i actualy heard of one which cosed off access to its members to house refugees for a little while.
>>
>>39045969
are you lifting 1/2/3/4 yet? if not, you're not fucking bodybuilding.
>>
>>39045974
I'm not making excuses nigger I'm just saying I bleed pounds fast. If I stopped eating completely for 2 days I'd lose 12 pounds.
>>
Read the terms & agreements and ask around on local Facebook pages (ie. "Residents of X")

There is a decent gym in my town that is incredibly Jewish with their terms in that you can only sign up on a yearly basis, and the fee to cancel it is ridiculously high. Also, the cost jumps like crazy from month to month.

Nobody likes it, people that work there literally go "don't work out here, they scam"

It's an issue not often mentioned, but really should
>>
>>39045960
My maintenance is abt 4k at 250 6'5
>>
>>39045607

Look up SS + GOMAD to get out of skelly mode quick
>>
>>39046066

It's irrelevant either way. I was just like you when I started. Ate what I wanted was always full but never gained weight. Bought into the whole "fast metabolism" meme.

I started counting my calories and realized I ate at least 1000 calories under what I needed to gain most of the days. It has nothing to do with metabolism being fast or not, more so your appetite and a lot of people fail to realize this.
>>
>>39046101

Pubic hair is so fucking disgusting holy shit
>>
>>39046115
Hope you shaves yours too then, bub.
>>
>>39045850

Machines have a place - they're just not a replacement for free weights
I use em after my free weights to go to failure safely + they're easier to dropset on
>>
>>39046115
Who the fuck is looking at the hair? How were your eyes not permanently fixed to those delicious meaty lips the whole time?
>>
>>39046108
Ah alright. Thanks for the advice. I should definitely actually keep track of my calorie intake instead of just thinking I feel full all the time.
>>
>>39046142

Yeah if you're anything like me you're not eating nearly enough. I started at out 135lbs btw. Now I weigh 177.
>>
>>39046132

Equally disgusting.
>>
>>39046122
>safely
>>
>>39046177
So you're a homo, who gives a fuck about your opinion on vaginas then?
>>
>>39045689
Read the sticky.
>>
>>39046168
Is the whole balanced diet thing just a meme? Can I just eat a few types of things and get by alright with a multivitamin supplement?
>>
>>39046196
Good point
>>
>>39045989
If you're looking for a cheap, easy place to work out, it's fine. The problems with PF is the mentality it promotes towards so called 'lunks', in most of them deadlifts and oly lifts are banned, there's very limited free weights and an abundance of shitty memey cardio machines. Plus you'll be supporting a huge, shitty corporation when you could be supporting a local gym that may charge you $10-20 dollars more a month but will likely have a better community, alot more free weights and usually will be a great way to join a powerlifting or oly club.
>>
>>39046201
Read the sticky
>>
>>39046201

I need variation in my diet mainly for the reason that eating 1000 calories of a single thing gets boring and almost vomit inducing. I eat a lot of bread and oats for carbs and fiber. Whole grain of course. Lots of hamburgers because they have a ton of carbs and proteins in them. Eggs are a fucking meme and give very little protein and calories for the amount of eggs you have to eat. Same with chicken. Fills me up way too fast.
>>
File: toki280.jpg (20KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
toki280.jpg
20KB, 280x210px
>>39046177
You're so gay.
Like, really gay.
Like, if testosterone was produced in the anus, your dick would look like the Juggernaut.
>>
>>39045989
>get kicked out for making grunting noises or dropping weights
>get kicked out for being too muscular
>literally no free weights but dumbbells, just machines
>>
>>39046256
>I eat hamburgers for protein
>Eggs are a fucking meme
>>
You don't have a fast metabolism. If u want to bulk up, you will have to eat a lot
>>
>>39046272

>Proteins per 100g of eggs: 12,4g
>Proteins per 100g of hamburger meat 17g

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>39046178

Well yerh I train alone + stabiliser muscles fatigue faster
Plenty of lifters make good use of machines
>>
>>39046302
But you don't just eat the hamburger meat though do you?
>>
>>39045654
Auschwitz mode fag here. I was told this shit too. Nope. I began eating more 3 months ago and I have already gotten decent gains. OP needs to eat more too (and don't forget to eat good too).
>>
>>39046088
One of a the few times this meme should be listened too.
>>
>>39046475
>One of a the few times this meme should be listened too.
If you read SS you would know that this is the specific case which is used to introduce GOMAD.
>>
>>39045607
>muh metabolism
you literally dont know what youre talking about kys
>>
>>39045724
Nothing is actually wrong with it if you're fine with the gear they have and just to get in and get out. Fucking 10 bucks a month. It's not like they force you to eat the pizza and use the machines incorrectly.
>>
>>39045724
>>39045989

The ones in my state took away the free bar. Still have dumbbells, but then you just have machine press and Smith machines so pretty fucking wrong imo
>>
I'd say start at a rec center gym as long as it has a squat rack and some heavy ass dumbells or hit a true strength gym, they cost a little more but you won't be fucked around there
>>
>>39045607
Poorfag here. I'm going YMCA for $47/month (with towel service). They have free weights (including squat racks and diddy areas), machines, cardio room, pool, and a couple other things like sauna and basketball court. Only downside is that it gets crowded.

My health insurance is offering this deal next year where if I go to the gym at least 45 times within the year, they'll pay for my gym membership (at participating gyms). Gonna try hop on that next.
>>
File: im8j7.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
im8j7.gif
1MB, 360x202px
>>39046582
>>
>>39045666
Thanks satan.
>>
From my experience with six different gyms best kind are non profit rec centres with decent setups but those are pretty hard to come by. Second is University/College gyms but they get really busy at peak hours. Worst of worst are for profit gyms trying to loop in beginners I'd only recommend signing up for a L.A Fitness or Goodlife if you've really looked through the terms and conditions of you're contract because they're really slimy and I've been in a legal battle before with one of the above.
>>
File: trollmax.png (448KB, 800x852px) Image search: [Google]
trollmax.png
448KB, 800x852px
>>39046302
Proteins per 100g of firm tofu or tempeh: 19g.
>>
File: 1471393553959.jpg (54KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1471393553959.jpg
54KB, 785x757px
>>39047676
>proteins per 100g of seitan: 75g
>>
>>39045607
Avoid places with tons of women and machine weights. Go somewhere hardcore
>>
>>39045728
Apart from sodium and saturated fat intake and the correlation with cardiovascular issues I imagine most of the "unhealthy" foods are considered so just because of calorie density.

If you need high amounts of energy to reach your goals then pizza isn't "unhealthy". Plain salads might be. Food health should be considered in context.
>>
>>39046142
>>39046201
Generally you don't need to be a super autist about tracking every tiny detail about what you eat, but when you first start lifting and radically changing your diet, you should go full autism mode for a while just so you educate yourself on what you are actually eating and how you need to adjust your habits. Once you have a good routine going and a general idea of what to eat, then you can stop the autism.
>>
File: youtried.jpg (98KB, 589x550px) Image search: [Google]
youtried.jpg
98KB, 589x550px
>>39047689
Not a complete protein though, friendo.
>>
S T A O
T
A
U
Q
S
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.