[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to start at fighting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12

File: fighting.jpg (49KB, 440x294px) Image search: [Google]
fighting.jpg
49KB, 440x294px
Hey /fit/, long time lurker here.
How do my friend and I get started on self defense fighting?

I'm 170 pounds ottermode and he is 260 pounds.

Is karate worth investing, or should we go for MMA?
>>
>>39038758
karate is retarded gimmicky bullshit, better for conditioning but not actual fighting skill

i'd say either BJJ or muaythai

if you HAVE to choose, just go for MMA
>>
>>39038791
If we have little to no fighting experience, would karate help? I did karate when I was younger.
>>
BJJ is best grappling

Boxing is best striking

Muay Thai is useful shit

Judo/Wrestling has useful shit

Join an MMA gym.
>>
>>39038799
would it help get you fit? yes

would it help you in a fight? hell no

>>39038803
this guy knows what he's talking about
>>
>>39038803
Where could I find a good gym in the socal area that would help beginners train to peak performance?

Also keep in mind we want actual fighting experience so we can fight a bigger person
>>
>>39038799

No. Karate will not help you whatsoever in a fight.

You have to practice fighting, with fighters, in a place where fighters go to practice fighting, that's how you get good at fighting.
>>
>>39038818
How do I find one that is legitimate?
just google it?
>>
>>39038816

I don't know, I don't live there.

Allegedly San Diego has ten million legit Jiu Jitsu schools. If I went there I would start training at Victory MMA.
>>
>>39038834
And we arent near san diego, we are riverside county. Only my friend has a car so it means we dont want to drive down there as often.
>>
>>39038833

Watch UFC listen to the commentary eventually you'll pick up information and know where to train. I don't live in the US so I can't say. It doesn't hurt if a place is well reviewed, a good place should be, just make sure the instructors/owners are of a legitimately good creed (they have won things) and go with an empty cup.
>>
>>39038791
Starting Muay Thai at any age later then 7 is a waste of time
>>
I think bareknuckle boxing should be good.

Why do you two want to learn to fight in the first place?
>>
File: 1228453015625.jpg (145KB, 298x523px) Image search: [Google]
1228453015625.jpg
145KB, 298x523px
>>39038758
Here are the three everyone usually agrees on in this same fucking thread that gets posted every day on /fit/.

BJJ
+
American Boxing/kickboxing
or
Muay Thai

Everything else is a niche martial art that is usually only advertised by people who make money off of it, or people who need to validate the amount of money they spent on it.
>>
File: martial arts guide.jpg (315KB, 1632x1424px) Image search: [Google]
martial arts guide.jpg
315KB, 1632x1424px
>>39038758
>>
>>39038886
Where can I start with that?

We got jumped an hour ago by a big motherfucker for no reason, we put up a good fight but he got the first hit. He ran off like a bitch after but im still scared he will find me again.
>>
File: 1428651226785.jpg (328KB, 1600x969px) Image search: [Google]
1428651226785.jpg
328KB, 1600x969px
Just watch DBZ and practice powering up.

Gohan put Raditz in the dirt without even training because he powered up.
>>
>>39038918
lol just go get a tazer and walk out alone. If you see him again shock the shit out of him and stomp his teeth out.
>>
>>39038918
How did two of you lose to one person?
Even skellies can win a fight two vs one.
>>
>>39038893
Is American boxing different from regular boxing?
>>
>>39038803
>BJJ is best grappling
>not freestyle wrestling
>fedora confirmed
>>
>>39038936
Like I said, he hit me first and I couldnt see well because it was dark. my friend is a bit on the large side too, if that helps. We got a few good punches in though so thats probably why he ran off.
>>
>>39038925
Next time ill probably carry my bowie knife with me when going out late, so if we see him again we can fuck him up.
>>
>>39038950
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/style-difference-in-different-nations-boxing.1914869/
>>
ITT: people who've never practised martial arts.

As a 1st dan in kyokushinkai karate, I can assure you retards like >>39038791
>>39038814
>>39038818
don't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>39038758
I think MMA would be best.
>>
>>39038990
I'm not saying other martial arts are bad, just saying karate is very fucking useful in fights.
>>
>>39038975
Just fyi if you two want to be fucking around the movie theatre in clown suits, next time don't Fuck with me. And fyi I'm not that big, you two are just autistic manlets. And yes I'm the one who was pounding in your head on the concrete next to the spiral Bush.
>>
>>39039003
pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>39039003
what was the fucking shirt you were wearing?
>>
>>39039003
greentext the story
>>
File: 14761799585501509304976.jpg (20KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
14761799585501509304976.jpg
20KB, 800x480px
>>39039008
Your move.
>>
>>39039015

>>
>>39039003
>>39039007
>>39039008
>>39039015
>>39039019
the plot thickens
>>
>>39039015
metallica is bubblegum pop-tier metal. You might as well be wearing a U2 shirt because that's how much of a faggot you are.

If you ever attack me or my wife's bf again, I will hunt you down.
>>
>>39039015

I swear to god if I ever see you again ill fucking beat the shit out of you. You got one over on me this time but next time there will be hell to pay.
>>
>>39038758
Just pick a fighting sport that actually has full contact practice sparring.
>>
>>39039015
give us the story because from what it sounds like, you just jumped OP and his friend out of nowhere.
>>
>>39039028
Top fucking kek manlet.
>>
File: 1475138698026.jpg (360KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1475138698026.jpg
360KB, 680x680px
>clowning outside movie theater
>guy that must have been molested by a clown at his 5th birthday party sperg rages
>8 o'clock rocks me out of nowhere
>get back up because he hits like a pussy
>friend and I start punching his teeth in
>runs away crying about manlets
>>
>>39039038
Basically oval and Manlet were dressed up as clowns and fucking around by a gas station. I went to see what was going on and oval tried to take off his glove and slap me with it like gran autismo he is. Then manlet tried to get in my face before I beat the Fuck out of his. I didn't want anything to do with that shit so I walked back to the car and left after giving them a good lesson.
>>
>>39038758
In my opinion boxing is the best masterial art, it takes time to master and if you are a fast learner you will be able to dodge punches and knock out someone with one punch.
>>
>>39039074
Just because I shoved you does not mean I wanted to fight, you didnt give me time to prepare. and it was those hits I got on you that made you run back to your car, I could tell they winded you.
>>
>>39039074
> I went to see what was going on
like, you went out of your way to start shit with them or what? I'm still confused because both of you are acting like you were completely justified. Chances are, you're all retarded.
>>
>>39039094
>Just because I shoved you does not mean I wanted to fight
Dude, I'm not even involved in this but if you put your hands on a stranger like that, you have to expect to defend yourself immediately. I don't know what you expected.

This is like a girl saying that just because she grabbed your boner doesn't mean she wanted to get raped.
>>
>>39039095
I saw orenstein and smaug in clown suits, I was a bit curious what kind of meth they were on.
>>
>>39038803

> Boxing best striking
> No kicks or elbows, thinks shoulder rolling is useful and only teaches defenses against body punches and head punches

Boxing is shit-tier striking and everybody knows it.
>>
>>39038758
PIPE BOMB
I
P
E
B
O
M
B
>>
>>39039105
OK, you're still acting like you just walked up and said, "hi guys! neat clown suits!" and then got shoved and slapped. Be fucking real with us instead of using dindu nuffin logic
>>
>>39039104
Keep in mind these faggots were also verbally harassing me before it happened, the shoving was the last straw.
>>
>>39039105
fuck yourself.
>>
>>39039108
american boxing teaches the best footwork/hand-striking at range for quick knockouts. It doesn't teach kicks or knees, which is a downside.
>>
>>39039118
>>39039126
You're both retarded and Metallica is gay as fuck.
>>
>>39039108

while wingchun was doing stickyhands and standing on one leg, boxers were punching

while krotty was breaking planks of balsa wood and screaming their lungs out, boxers were punching

while muay thai was smashing shins and elbowing everyone in the head, boxers were punching

while taekwondo was doing gay hurricane kicks and shit, boxers were punching

while BJJ was breaking shoulders with armbar overextensions, boxers were punching

>who the fuck do you think knows about punching?

fucking pleb
>>
>>39039113
Either way, I'm tired. Someone screencap this and post it to reddit so that I can go to sleep.
>>
>>39039156
Im fucking deleting this thread. Nobody is screencapping anything.
>>
>>39039156

And I swear to god if I see you again im going to fucking kill you.
>>
>>39038758
MMA unless the instructor is a fraud.

>>39038799
Against someone who hasn't trained to fight, yes. Against someone who has trained to fight, absolutely not.

>>39038803
>Boxing is the best striking
I agree as a sport but not in terms of fight capability. A boxer will lose hard to a muay thai fighter or BJJ fighter.

>>39038833
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83

>>39038919
This. Just build your own HTC. Costs about $150 from supplies at Walmart.

>>39038958
Grappling isn't the same as wrestling. Grappling is on the floor. Wrestling is getting to the floor.
>>
>>39038758

dont do krotty anon. krotty bad. unless you subscribe to the ways of COBRA KAI (pic related)

learn to box
learn to throw elbows
learn some basic groundwork
learn how to grab someones head and knee it multiple times
learn leg kicks if you really want to
hell, learn to throw in the odd headbutt safely and properly, it has been useful

dont learn krotty
dont learn wingchun or anything kungfu related
dont learn taekwondo
dont bother with spinning backfists and dumb shit like that

then get in a ring as an amatuer where there is nowhere to run and see how you go.

congratulations, you are now ready to defend yourself.

good luck.
>>
File: wdeef.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
wdeef.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>39039171

ooops
>>
>>39039161
>Thread still up.
>>
>>39039198
I swear to you that im going to start working out. when i get swole enough im going to pound your ass into the fucking dust it came from. YOU ARE GOING TO FUCKING CRY.
>>
I swear to you that im going to start working out. when i get swole enough im going to pound your ass into the fucking dust it came from. YOU ARE GOING TO FUCKING CRY.
New meme?
>>
>>39039240
New meme confirmed
>>
>>39039247
>>
Alright, now I'm off guys, night.
>>
>>39039240
FUCK YOU
>>
>>39039259
I swear to you that im going to start working out. when i get swole enough im going to pound your ass into the fucking dust it came from. YOU ARE GOING TO FUCKING CRY
>>
>>39039253
STOP REPOSTING THIS FUCK OFF.
>>
>>39039275
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>39039274
STOP. NOW. THIS IS FUCKING SERIOUS.
>>
>>39039286
> Crying in 4chan
> Serious
Choose one
>>
>>39039308
FUCK THIS, IM DELETING THIS THREAD
>>
File: Flow Chart.png (2MB, 1024x4521px) Image search: [Google]
Flow Chart.png
2MB, 1024x4521px
>>
>>39039490
I would get an erection from turkish oil wrestling.
God damn.
>>
as someone who's been in the army let me tell you that you can forget about fair fights in real situations. best defense is running away from fights if you are smart.

otherwise boxing so you actually know how to punch and judo for takedowns, getting off the ground.

krav maga is the best for real situations but you won't learn that outside of special forces military. sure they train it outside for civilians but it's pretty shit nowdays.
>>
>>39039490
So be a boxer who carries a gun and took a little judo?
>>
>>39038758
I love fma. I do modern arnis. But you could do some other style too. kali sikaran, pekiti etc.

They are all awesome.
>>
>>39039140
>>39039108

and boxers get wrecked by Muay Thai fighters every time.

BJJ also wreck boxers. Muay Thai, at least the competent gyms, also train clinch grappling and throws.

Boxing also isn't the end all and be all but it's easier to learn for complete beginners. Most people that start with Muay Thai won't be able to do a proper kick in the first couple of months and are still too uncoordinated to use knees and elbows with punches.
>>
File: Capture.png (784KB, 955x498px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
784KB, 955x498px
EXPERIENCED FIGHTERS

pls halp. local mma gym timetable attatched. which classes are the best to take to learn to fight? planning on going 3x a week
>>
>>39041483
Sambo #khabibtime
>>
>>39038990
How much did your parents pay for your blackberry?
>>
>>39041483
Anything but fitness and kids class
It's sketchy it isn't called No-Gi Brazilian jiujitsu as well and just called submission wrestling but you'll have to check that out yourself
Gi>Nogi even for learning MMA
>>
Nigga did nothing wrong, manlet OP and his friend should kill themselves. These clown faggots trying to be funny should all have their heads smashed in.
>>
>>39038758

Find a boxing gym and learn to throw punches and take them.

Also realize that in most situations martial arts is going to just teach you how to get loose and run. You will not be fighting gunmen or knife fighters like some Jet Li movie.

If you want to learn how to "fight" just do boxing because if you can land a good punch to a jaw or side of the head it's lights out.
>>
>>39038758
Karate Kyokushinkai is amazing.

I practiced it a few years ago, it was a good experience. For people saying Karate doesn't work just watch some of the UFC fighters that started in karate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVhFQW8OSeI
>>
>>39039095

>you're both retarded

Says the guy buying into this story
>>
>>39038791

DO NOT DO MMA, BJJ OR WHATEVER BULLSHIT

YOU WILL GET YOUR SHIT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

DO BOXING, JUST GO DO BOXING AND LEARN HOW TO PUNCH.

ALL BJJ WILL TEACH YOU IS HOW TO LAY ON YOUR BACK ON THE GROUND WITH YOUR LEGS UP WHILE EVERYONE ELSE JUST STARES AT YOU AND THEN GANG KICKS THE FUCK OUT OF YOU
>>
>>39042122
Where GSP at?
>>
>>39042179
BJJ will teach you something boxing never will which is how to beat a better boxer. Or how to get up/not die if you're taken down.

And I'm speaking from a position of 5+ years of boxing experience.
>>
>>39038758
Martial artist of 11 years here. If you want to be able to fight effectively in ~6 months do MMA, Boxing, Kyokushin Karate, etc. Basically something that forces you to just keep beating the shit out of someone, and you'll be able to fight reasonably well.
The issue with the above is also that you have to take the punishment as well as doling it out; brain damage and other injuries are common in these sorts of sports.
If you want to be able to fight well in ~3 years without risking brain damage look into Judo with a classical approach(i.e. not focused on getting into tournaments) Shito-ryu/Goju-ryu/Shotokan can all be either good or McDojos, in my experience Shito guys tend to be better fighters.
If you want to be able to fight with minimal risk and be proficient in 4-5 years, look into classical Jujutsu/Aikijujutsu. These are the precursors to Aikido and are basically Aikido without the injection of bullshit that is so common. There's a striking base in most of these, with the goal of taking balance and then throwing/pinning.
If you want to be capable in 7-10 years, Aikido and some Kung Fu schools would work.

Tbh, you'll get good so long as you find a good teacher. I've met people who were 6th dan in Karate who could barely throw a punch and people who were fresh black belts in Judo/Aikido that could throw me across a room with 0 effort. Look into your local schools and get a feel for the teachers and their students, and look at the skill progression vs time. Belts don't mean shit.
>>
>>39042360
I'm also a martial artist and this sounds like good advice
>>
>>39042329

You are a fucking moron if you think bjj can beat a boxer in a fight

the only people bjj works against is other people doing bjj
>>
I started with boxing and then moved into Krav Maga. Would seriously recommend this, boxing is a good place to start because of its simplicity and it gives you a good foundation. Then from there, ask around, talk to coaches, find what suits you and your interests best
>>
>>39038864
Relax Sagat, Ryu is not even close
>>
>>39042562
IF and it's a hugh mongoose IF the bjj practitioner has good takedowns, there is a chance that he'll catch the boxer and put him down ending the fight in his favor. On the other hand, if the boxer is competent and knows legwork and how to keep distance, the other guy would be screwed.

This is why the ideal combination is muay-thai/kick-boxing with BIG focus on boxing offense and leg defense and grappling - sambo, full-contact jiu-jitsu, something like that. Or, if you really have time and fortitude, just combine wrestling and bjj, it will make you a total beast, even with mediocre punching skills.
>>
>>39042562
I'll take the bait. You are wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVt36wTRoDc
>>
>>39038758
MMA is basically the main martial arts combined (kick boxing, jiujitsu, judo and muay thai)
However it's more for competition, if you want pure self-defense maybe you should join a self-defense class.
If you want to be a real dangerous man join the army or police.
>>
Hey guys could you recommend what would be best for me mostly for street fight purposes? Im skinny af and pretty short. Pic related
>inb4 just get a weapon
I have it,but u can't always carry it
>>
File: IMG_0105.jpg (243KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0105.jpg
243KB, 1280x960px
>>39043816
Forgot pic
>>
>>39038990
It helps a little once you get good, most karate classes are just Jews that don't know shit about martial arts trying to get money

I did karate for a few years as a elementary/middle schooler.
>>
File: bjjvsboxing.jpg (76KB, 928x640px) Image search: [Google]
bjjvsboxing.jpg
76KB, 928x640px
>>39042562
>>
>>39038803
Submission wrestling is best grappling, gi-fags dont know wtf to do when they dont have no collars or pants to grab. If you want to git gud at ground fighting start with submission wrestling, the best mix of wrestling and BJJ you will find. Catch wrestling is also pretty good.
>>
>>39038990
this

most people on here actually don't know shit about martial arts and just meme

>mma bro!
>>
>>39043836
>>39043816
lift
>>
>>39038803
This basically.

Don't join a karate class unless it's a kyokushin karate class. Try out different classes in your area, most will have a free trial or at least let you sit and watch

Things to look for in a good class:
>physically fit instructors and at least some of the students (not /fit/ fit mind you, but not fatsos or twigs.)
>Aliveness, meaning they actually spar in the class, and don't just go through moves without any opposition or resistance.
>they don't try to sell you into a long term contract, most good classes just have you pay month to month

for more info

http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/
>>
>do MMA

I've seen motherfuckers that never stepped in a MMA place or gym beat the fuck out of these people. I'm so tired of this meme. Gun beats all as well.
>>
>Karate and MMA are mutually exclusive and only one is useful

Wonderboy and Machida say hi
>>
What would be the best martial art to learn self taught? I have access to a punching bag and mats / a lot of space. Me and my girlfriend were interested in learning, but don't feel like making a commitment anywhere just yet. Would rather learn what we can first then join a gym. (We both lift already, so fairly in shape)
>>
>>39042360
This guy knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>39038990
Nobody is saying that karate is completely useless but if you watch the documentaries on the evolution of the UFC and MMA they specifically point out how it went from brawling, to mixed styles competing and finally to whittling down those mixed styles into the few martials arts proven to be effective in the ring.

Karate was proven to be effective against untrained opponents and similar styles of fighting until they had to fight a good boxer or someone with a strong ju jitsu game, MMA is just a solid combination and the clear advantages of having a good mixture of striking and ground based fighting knowledge has proven to be the ultimate "style"
>>
>>39038758
Do a contact sport with a lot of striking, such as boxing. Do another contact sport with a lot of grappling at the same time, such as wrestling or BJJ. In your free time, figure out how to combine these two types of fighting into something you can use on the street. After you have a good base in 2 styles/sports, feel free to expand your skillset with other styles/sports.
>>
>>39038758
this worked for me but just watch movies, actors are trained in just under 6 months to become the best of their technique and can strike with deadly force. you can learn a lot more in a 1 minute fighting scene than it would take you to join a "martial arts" ""class"" which they just want money out of you. my favorites to watch and study are the matrix and the expendables 2.
>>
>>39042562
>You are a fucking moron if you think bjj can beat a boxer in a fight
>>
File: 1454707170126.jpg (178KB, 798x770px) Image search: [Google]
1454707170126.jpg
178KB, 798x770px
>>39042562
>You are a fucking moron if you think bjj can beat a boxer in a fight

Holy shit guys he hasnt seen UFC 1
>>
>>39039109
still my favorite post to this day
>>
>>39039140

>boxers were punching

And getting their arses kicked against Muay Thai, Kickboxers, BJJ , grappling practitioners etc.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.