[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is whey protein ETHICALLY vegan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

File: 1475493185986.jpg (140KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475493185986.jpg
140KB, 720x720px
Not a shitpost or bait thread.

So, whey is made from a byproduct of cheese, right? And since it is a byproduct, it means that the options are either to turn it into gain powder or to let it go to waste. Assuming of course that cheese would be made either way. Which it would, it's not a bold assumption at all. And since cheese would be made anyway, milk would have to be produced anyway, so the cattle would be tortured anyway, regardless of whey production.

Is this line of reasoning correct? Is whey protein ethically vegan? Same question applies to other animal industry byproducts.

Redpill me/discuss.
>>
>>39031774
I guess? Arguably, you are still giving money to the cow-torturing industry, and are therefore still supporting and incentivising that industry.
But I'm not a vegetarian, let alone a vegan.
>>
The tub of whey you own was ultimately produced by a cow that was repeatedly insiminated in order for her to produce milk all year-round.
She spent her entire life strapped to tubes and then she died and her body was used for hamburgers.
Whey is not vegan at all
>ps: I'm not vegan
>>
Sorry bro, whey isn't ethical. The companies that use whey buy it, supporting factory farming.

There are plenty of vegan protein powders, just use those.
>>
File: 2ec.png (519KB, 562x529px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
519KB, 562x529px
>>39031963
>vegan protein powders
>>
>>39031774
No it is not. You still support the animal industy by paying for what you call a by-product.
I don't even think that wheyy is a by-product of cheese industy. Whey is basically the protons and sugars of the milk, and cheese still contains a lot of protein. So it might be the by-product of butter production.
Whey is not vegan. You can find real vegan protein powder easilly.
>>
File: 1475554112099.jpg (50KB, 586x586px) Image search: [Google]
1475554112099.jpg
50KB, 586x586px
>>39031933
>>39031963
>>39032070
And where do we draw the line? If I buy a vegan protein powder from a manufacturer who also makes dairy protein powder, am I still supporting the dairy industry?
>>
>>39032241
That's up to you literally no one gives a fuck
>>
>>39032070
>>39031963
>>39031874
But this would mean that it is the act of paying for whey, and hence supporting the industry, that is unethical. What if, hypothetically, I stole some whey? Or in some other way obtained it for free, or by not supporting the industry?

I mean I know some vegans argue that using leather is acceptable if you don't buy it from the industry, but like dumpsterdive for it or buy it in thrift stores or whatever. Now obviously you can't get whey that way, but wouldn't the same principle apply in theory?
>>
File: 1466297204579.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1466297204579.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>39031963
>vegan protein powders
>>
File: 1471719607124.png (721KB, 830x987px) Image search: [Google]
1471719607124.png
721KB, 830x987px
>>39032257
>Now obviously you can't get whey that way, but wouldn't the same principle apply in theory?
Google freegans, it's basically dumpster diving for meat, or going to restaurants and eating off other's leftover burgers
>>39032255
I do, hence the thread
>>
>>39032332
>I do
I mean no one else can drive 'a line' for you, the line is completely arbitrary and retarded to begin with and no one gives a shit as to where you draw it
>>
>>39032241
Yes but vegans have argued that you are sending them a signal to reduce their animal-based stuff and make more plant-based stuff. I know that even PETA argued that buying stuff that's 99% vegan is OK because you're signaling to the market that there's a demand for these products.

>>39032332
Oh yeah I thought that was a joke... but yeah I guess that would technically work. Or at least be more ethical than buying it? I don't think it's a black or white issue.

Also I know lots of vegans have trouble knowing where exactly to draw the line. Some even eat oysters. Best to use one's own judgement.
>>
>>39032257
>Definition of veganism by Donald Watson
>The word "veganism"denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.
It is up to you how you interpret this
>Maybe make a youtube video about it and call all so-called vegans that don't fully agree with you hypocrites
>>
>>39031774
As others have pointed out, yes whey is just a by-product, however purchasing it does help to prop up the dairy industry by making it more economical. When you consider how much the dairy industry is struggling right now, it's a big difference.
>>
>>39032401
It's true that it's a matter of interpretation, but I'd also add that just going of what some dude said is dumb; if one is in it for the ethics, one needs to consider things and work it out oneself. If not then it risks becoming like some sort of religious fundamentalism, Watsonism and not veganism.
>>
>>39032431
>dairy
>struggling

Don't know how it is for you, but I live in Wisconsin
>>
>>39032372
>Some even eat oysters.
Oysters do not really feel pain and they do not really have a central nervous system
>It is not too cruel to eat them
I am vegetarian myself and I do not consume milk or dairy. So I am kind of a vegan fag. It is difficult to draw the line. Some people say that honey is vegan, others say it is not. I don't want to throw away all my leather stuff like belts and wallet.
>SO FUCK IT I don't even care that much what other people say about veganism. I just think that systematic cruelty against animals should be ended.
>>
>>39031774
whey isn't vegan. and if you support the milk industry you're not either. that's as simple as it gets.
>>
vergans are so god damn annoying and pathetic

surprised you fags have so much energy to annoy everyone else with your meme diet seeing how you're constantly starved of nutrients

you want to be vegan? ok be vegan. but fuck off trying to fuck with my diet. i love eating meat.
>>
>>39032481
I also think dairy industry is struggling. Milk prices hit an all-time low and small-scale dairy farmers are leaving the business. Environmentalist are sick of the pollution and environmental laws are getting stricter. If the EU stops the subsidies the dairy industry will be fucked big time
>>
>>39031774
>ethically
Not health or fitness.

Fuck off back to >>>/his/ and stay there.
>>
File: goaway.jpg (36KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
goaway.jpg
36KB, 400x266px
>>39032554
Just leave the thread if you don't care about the topic. Nobody forces you to write here.
>>
>>39032564
>environmentalists are sick of the pollution so we should all stop eating meat
>I watched cowspiracy on netflix

please kill yourself
>>
>>39032497
Yeah I kinda feel the same way. Philosophy means arguing about the major stuff, the values - is it OK for animals to suffer or not - and not get bogged down in details and then get petty and rail on each-other. I hate it when vegan purists give people shit for eating honey, for instance. Just makes it look bad.

>>39032554
Sub-part bait, 1/10.
>>
>>39032630
it's not bait, you can seriously fuck off. I like eating meat and I'm sick of you obnoxious faggots trying to force your gay diet onto other people.
>>
File: bait2.png (278KB, 992x994px) Image search: [Google]
bait2.png
278KB, 992x994px
>>39032647
>forcing our diets on you by having a seperate thread that you decided to barge into so you can be an insecure faggot
lol yeah I bet you like that meat...
>>
>>39032647
>I like eating meat and I'm sick of you obnoxious faggots trying to force your gay diet onto other people.
What are you even talking about? Nobdoy said that you cannot eat meat anymore. Just continue your life and don't listen to all the gay, malnourished vegans.
>You want a steak to cool down?
>>
>>39032708
bullshit

you faggots shill your vegan garbage all the time and are trying to implement policies to drastically increase price of meat so poor people can't afford it

there are a million other ways you can try and "save the planet" before fucking with my meat.
>>
File: 1474641900993.jpg (38KB, 480x456px) Image search: [Google]
1474641900993.jpg
38KB, 480x456px
>>39032745
we takin over, carnist boy
>>
>>39032745
>fucking with my meat
GOLD
>>
>>39031774
if everyone stopped using whey, there would be less profit in making cheese because they couldn't make money off the whey. therefore less cheese would be made.

therefore the answer to your question is no
>>
>>39032777
>>39032775
i dont think you understand, i will literally kill to preserve my right to eat meat
>>
File: 1474433772877.jpg (42KB, 620x480px) Image search: [Google]
1474433772877.jpg
42KB, 620x480px
>>39032863
>>
>>39032790
My assumption is that demand for whey probably doesn't increase cheese production. It's a by-product. It's possible that all demands for whey are met by cheese production that was already happening due to demand for cheese. So, demand for whey makes that cheese production, that's already happening, more profitable, but it doesn't necessarily give them reason to make more cheese than they already were.
>>
>>39032745
>>39032863

Meat and dairy is like the tobacco industry some decades ago. More and more scientific evidence points into the direction that a high meat consumption is very bad for health and the environment. The lobby tries to fight back with their own research and other shit. In a few years the public will be well informed about the consequences of meat, dairy and eggs.
>There will be warning notes on processed meat
>Extra tax on meat
>People will look at you weirdly if you eat meat
>Majority of people will eat vegetarian or very low meat
Better kill yourself
>>
>>39032961
[This is what vegans actually believe.]
>>
File: 1393275063920.gif (2MB, 250x186px) Image search: [Google]
1393275063920.gif
2MB, 250x186px
>caring about an animal's feelings if it isnt your housepet
>>
>>39032961
I wish one of you emaciated faggots would say that shit to my face
>>
>>39031774

Is being vegan ethically not gay?
>>
>>39031774
By definition it is not vegan

By your reasoning there is no point to being a vegan or vegetarian because those animals would be killed/milked/whatever anyway
>>
File: edgy.png (157KB, 439x294px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.png
157KB, 439x294px
>>39033064
>>
>>39033092
No, his reasoning is sound, because it's a by-product. An increase in the demand for whey doesn't increase production because it's already being made, it's a by product of the production that's already taking place.
Whey's status as a by-product does make it different.
It's arguably not vegan because you're still making cheese production more profitable, but it's still different than just buying meat or cheese.
>>
>>39033328
>No, his reasoning is sound, because it's a by-product. An increase in the demand for whey doesn't increase production because it's already being made, it's a by product of the production that's already taking place.
>Whey's status as a by-product does make it different.
Shut up with your noeclassical economic bullshit.
>>
Dairy cows are THE most pampered animals in existence, second only to basement dwellers.
>>
>a cow is more important than a rat threatening the grain stores
bitch please
>>
>>39033328
So eating cattle shin meat or offal or any meat on sale is fine? The cattle was killed for the popular cuts eating the unpopular cheap cuts is fine? I mean they are going be killed anyway...
>>
>>39033328
>whey is the byproduct
>yet per kg is more expensive than some specialty niche cheeses

Hmmmmmmmmmm something doesn't add up, it's almost like the dairy industry is still making bank off of this ""unwanted"" ""byproduct""

If you are a vegan it is unethical to support the dairy industry so it is unethical to buy whey
>>
>>39033391
What?

>>39033508
Yeah, I guess that's comparable.

>>39033581
>
Hmmmmmmmmmm something doesn't add up, it's almost like the dairy industry is still making bank off of this ""unwanted"" ""byproduct""
It's overpriced. That doesn't make it not a by-product.
>If you are a vegan it is unethical to support the dairy industry so it is unethical to buy whey
I agree. Like I said. It's a little different than buying meat or cheese, but it's definitely still supporting the industry. Like I said.
>>
>>39032587
It is related to health and fitness since animal products aren't healthy to eat.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.