[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is StrongLifts 5x5 a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 1475090967399.jpg (37KB, 564x428px) Image search: [Google]
1475090967399.jpg
37KB, 564x428px
Is StrongLifts 5x5 a meme?
>>
>>39028623
It's a suboptimal beginner routine. SS, Reg Parks and Greyskull are all superior.
>>
Its ok as long as stick to doing 3x5 instead of 5x5
>>
>>39028623
I started doing 5x5 and my strength shot up weekly. Maybe it was just n0Ob gainz but it worked great for me while I did it.
>>
>>39028724
Any idea how good it is at burning fat? Trying to get back in shape after a long slump.
>>
>>39028801
No idea, I started as a skelly. My guess would be not great. If you're looking to lose weight, I'd say alternate hypertrophy training for lean muscle gain and HIIT cardio for fat burn.
>>
>>39028825
You're wrong that strength training wouldn't be any good, it's perfectly effective while cutting, but your way works too.
>>
>>39028801
Lifting weights doesn't really burn fat, m8.....
>>
>>39028871
>Physical activity does not expend energy

Thats what you are saying right now
>>
>>39028871
Stop posting you fucking nu-males.
>>
>>39028623
yes, everything is a meme
>>
>>39028801

doing SL 3x3 right now while on a cut I've been on for like 2+ months. Lost ~20 lb my lifts have not gone down much except for dl which I simply neglected
>>
>>39028623
It's a great program. I've been doing basically that but with some cleans added once per week, pull ups twice a week and I do 2x2 on deadlift instead of 1x5.
Read Starting Strength to learn the exercises properly. 90% of Starting Strength is how to properly perform the lift so don't listen to the naysayers.

I did it for 3 months this spring and was getting close to 1,2,3,4 plate on my lifts. Then I took a couple months "off" with reduced weights because of shoulder issue (lowbar squats were fucking up my shoulders. I've heard of lots of other guys with this problem too). Now I'm about a month back into linear progression and making good gains again. Ive learned to widen my grip when doing squats and also move the bar a little higher so it's more nuetral on my back and not straining my shoulders.
>>
>>39028969
Make sure you're not keeping your elbows high and instead keep them back and pointed down. A lot of people hold their elbows high and it puts a lot of stress on the shoulder
>>
File: mark-rippetoe.jpg (183KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
mark-rippetoe.jpg
183KB, 640x360px
>>39029222
Yeah I think that's another thing I've changed. I believe Crippletoe suggests the high and tight elbow position. Not sure what pic related would be considered.
>>
>>39029276
It's one of the most misinterprated things in the book. He made a video about the proper grip and elbow position and there's a whole article about it on the site.
The pic you posted is the proper back and down elbow position.
>>
File: m'lord.jpg (48KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
m'lord.jpg
48KB, 1080x720px
>>39028801
Every program "burns fat" as long as you eat at a caloric deficit. I suggest you and >>39028825 read the sticky.
>>
>>39028801
started 5x5 after i stalled on weightloss and started dropping 1-2lbs a week again (diet stayed the same)

just the volume of work you do from all the squats is breddy gud
>>
>>39028880
>>39028892
Okay let me reword that. Lifting alone isn't a very effective way to burn fat. Yes, lifting does use energy, especially heavy compounds. All I'm saying is a fat ass who does like 15 sets every other day and has a shitty diet, who is trying to lose weight, would be better off doing cardio and controlling diet. Thinking of lifting as a way to burn fat is not the best way to go
>>
>>39029553
No shit. Nothing is going to help with weight loss unless you eat right.
>>
>is the routine recommended in the fucking sticky a meme

You fucking dumb newfags should just kys. Never gonna make it
>>
There's nothing bad about doing the 5x5 rep scheme. What's bad is doing 5x5 on every exericse, every workout, at a constant changing 1RM%. Eventually squatting 5x5 three times a week will catch up to you.

Intelligently designed programs that has 3x per week frequency does not have this much volume, because the accumilative fatigue will get too high too quick, leading to stalls and halted progress.

Even Sheiko which is considered a high volume program with a sole focus on powerlifting where squatting is very important has varying rep schemes and loads to offset the frequency. You can't have the cake and eat it too.

This is why stronglifts is worse than SS, and SS is worse than Sheiko, and I'm not talking about the usual Sheiko routines people post here. There's actual novice Sheiko routines out there that's basically LP and not % based.
>>
>>39029553
Muscles can metabolise carbohydrates, fat or protein. Lifting will cause you to use carbs only. Cardio will use carbs and fat (and a tiny bit of protein).

It doesn't really matter though, because the base metabolism (ie. the energy to sustain your sad, lonely life) will use the fat anyway.
>>
>>39029929

To illustrate this, I'll give an example from the novice routine, prep phase, found in the sheiko app. I'll show the squats only to prove my point. All these are excluding warmup:

W1D1: 4x4 70%
W1D5: 3x4 75%

W2D1 2x4 80%
W2D5: 4x4 70%

W3D1: 3x4 75%
W3D5: 2x4 80%

W4D1: 2x2 80%, 2x3 85%
W4D5: 3x4 75%

The total volume (and volume load) is significantly lower than SL and SS, but no one questions the effectiveness of this program. It's made for steady, long-term progress and not some flashy "add 100 lbs to your squat in a month" bullshit. Less volume load on the main exercise, allows for more frequency for all exercises, and important accessories to target weaknesses.

SL & SS will have you doing 5x5/3x5 at 85%+ loads 3 times per week. It's not sustainable, and generally pretty bad for long term technique development since technique is best practiced at 70-80%.
>>
>>39028801
I've been doing 5x5 of the main compounds with a few other exercises in every other day, eaten a deficit and supplemented it with cardio and lots of walking and desu my weight has gone down and my lifts have gone up.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.