[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deadlifts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: wide-grip-deadlift.jpg (14KB, 400x340px) Image search: [Google]
wide-grip-deadlift.jpg
14KB, 400x340px
I cant deadlift 135 pounds. No matter how much i struggle it won't come off of the ground. I am a 6'1 185 pound and I'm not fat or anything. The girl doing reads next to me looked like she was 110 pounds and she was deadlifting 135 for reps like it was nothing. I dont understand how i could be so weak. Could it be my form or my flexibility thats holding me back maybe? It was incredibly humiliating and i would appreciate some insite
>>
Every adult man can deadlift 135 pounds
it is probably a flexibility problem
>>
File: RWJ.jpg (180KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
RWJ.jpg
180KB, 1680x1050px
Yuo do little weight. Then do more. Workout after workout. No ashame. Yuo lift and grow.
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
>>39019000
>tfw I'm strong but can lift heavy weights
>>
>>39019024
i once knew a guy so skinny and weak, when he lost his virginity he couldn't actually support himself on his knees to be on top and thrust up and down into the girl. he said he collapsed after less than 2 minutes, couldn't do it and she had to be on top instead.
>>
>>39019000

It might be your form. I'd check that first. It sounds like you may be deadlifting with the weight too far forward.
>>
>>39019067
I usually keep my feet a little more than shoulder width apart and keep the bar over my toes.
>>
>>39019128
Do you remember to point your feet slightly outwards? That will help engaging your hips.
Remember that you have to keep your hips high-ish.
This is a PULL, you are not trying to squat with the bar in your hands, which many guys do the first time they deadlift.
>>
>>39019024
Do you know hat stretches i would need to do? Do you think it has something to do with hip flexors?
>>
>>39019151
I did point my feet slightly outwards but it didn't help much. It does feel like i am squatting the bar at first thought to try to get it off of the ground.
>>
File: deadlift-feet.jpg (140KB, 1024x332px)
deadlift-feet.jpg
140KB, 1024x332px
>>39019128

Over the toes is way too far forward. It should be near the middle of your foot.
>>
>>39019187
you might be squatting down too low when you start
>>
>>39019232
>>39019205
thanks guys. I will swallow my pride and attempt it again next time in the gym.
>>
>>39019000

I wouldn't sweat it trips. Pick up some 25lb bumper pl8s and start from there.

This lifting thing, it's all a game of time really. 6 months ago I was in the same boat, 135 was a fucking killer. 6 months later, I'm scheduled to hit 345 in 2 days. It's a time thing.
>>
are you retarded?

if you can't do it, lower the f00kin weight
>>
>>39019267
Well the fact that 135 is something most women should be able to pull worried me that i might be doing something wrong.
>>
>>39019256
Thanks but unfortunately my gym doesn't have bumper plates. Today i just went down to 95 pounds and put a plate under the weights on each ed so its a little higher up.
>>
Not op but related question, what do you guys do for sets and reps? It's more or less better when it comes to Deadlifts?
>>
>>39019187
Your hips are probably far too low. Do you do the Rippetoe DL set-up?
>>
>>39019307
I just do 1x5 once a week. 2kg/week increases. At 212 kg x 5 so seems to work pretty well.
>>
File: dsc3733.jpg (71KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
dsc3733.jpg
71KB, 333x500px
>>39019320
have you tried 3x5 or 5x5 before?
I'm doing 3x5 right now as 1x5 doesn't feel right somehow
just scared I'll hit my plateau too fast
>>
>>39019389

Yeah, but I do worse on higher volume. Find it exhausting. Had to take my squats down from 3x5 to 1x5 as well. And I'm at 203 kg x 5 on the squats...and also 2 kg/week.

So I don't know. For me, with the heavy lower body lifts that have huge CNS involvement...less seems to be more.

I need a lot of volume for Press/BP though.
>>
>>39019128
this seems really fucking bad form

keep the bar as such >>39019205

and don't keep your feet so far apart. Try jumping in the air, how far apart your feet are when you're in the jumping position is how far they should be when DLing
>>
>>39019308
No i just watched a video on it and i was doing it way wrong. I had the bar way to far forward and i was squatting down below paralel
>>
>>39019000
take off your shoes, put some plates under the weights if necessary (so the bar starts higher), ask someone strong to tell you what you're doing wrong.

try
harder
>>
>>39019458

Here's it in writing:

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.
>>
>>39019489
rippletits, please fuck off
>>
>>39019000
sounds like a troll
i dont understand how you weigh 185 and cant lift less than you
especially a deadlift
even if its your first time you oshuld have no problem deadlifting 33% less weight than you are
>>
>>39019538
Im not a troll I'm completely serious. I cant understand it either thats why i made this thread.
>>
>>39019422
alright I might try 1x5 sometime soon
I'm just scared the small volume might do less for overall strength/hypertrophy

thanks for your input anon!
>>
>>39019489
Thanks Ill try that next time.
>>
Is OPs pic even the correct form
>>
>>39019568

>hypertrophy

1x5 is obviously strength training. You'll only get big off of that if you're into some big weights.

I have pretty huge legs, but I'm also a 500 lb+ squatter. So it will happen, but you have to be in the rather-heavy regime.

Anyway, it's not a risk to try. Try it, and if you keep progressing then go "oh cool" and keep going. If you're stalling, then stop and revert to something with more volume.
>>
>>39019582

No. Hips too low, feet forward and too wide, grip too wide. There's a reason that faggot is only doing 1pl8.
>>
>>39019554
honestly i couldnt deadlift 135 when i started either i was 6'2 and like 160.

for my its the way i walk. I lock my knees and my posture is all fucked so i dont work my legs at all.

these guys are right just work on your form and if it doesnt feel right drop the weight. Add a little every week, dont go crazy. strength takes time and consistency.
>>
>>39019582
No.
>>
>>39019579

I follow Rippetoe's procedure and filmed my set from last week from the side. It should give you an idea of how high your hips should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6C-Bjf5YEg

>in b4 shitform
>>
>>39019609
grip is snatch grip right?
>>
>>39019686
>It should give you an idea of how high your hips should be
No, everyone has different proportions.

You have a short torso, long legs, and you wear high-heeled shoes.
Ofcourse your deadlift is gonna look like a SLDL.
If you had short arms it would be even worse, kek.
>>
>>39019686
Ok i see mostly where i went wrong from watching this. I bent down with my knees to set up and touch the bar and my back was way too vertical to start. Also the bar was a little too far forward.
>>
>>39019756
>An idea

Same height as OP and my proportions aren't ridiculous. But yeah, anatomy impacts form. Rippetoe talks about this exact point in the DL chapter.

Should certainly give him an idea that "squatting down" is probably wrong, assuming his proportions aren't insanely ridiculous.
>>
>>39019000
Kek. Five feet ten manlet here, did 10 sets of 3 with 135 kilos (bar included) on friday.
>>
>>39019769

Just follow the procedure I linked above to the key and you should be good. It's really, really crucial that you don't move your hips as he describes.

And the bar should legitimately be at most 1 inch from your shins.
>>
>>39019789
>my proportions aren't ridiculous
they kinda are, kek

Your idea is good, but a bit less extreme example might've been better.
>>
>>39019828
>they kinda are, kek

oh :C
>>
>>39019835
don't take it personally.
I judged all this from one deadlift video where you wear high-heeled shoes.
maybe you look normal irl.
>>
>>39019279
That woman has probably been training her DL longer than you. Remember, being weak isn't a crime, not doing anything about it is.
>>
Troll?
>>
>>39019595
I'm the original anon that asked what reps everyone does. I saw, for a aesthetic purposes, that 1x5 would be good but it seems like that would be too little to actually trigger any responses,which is why I asked.
>>
>>39019554
tuck in your lower back
stick your chest out
lock your up body in this form
drive with you heels
>>
File: goodbya.png (401KB, 800x800px)
goodbya.png
401KB, 800x800px
>>39019000
>tfw you lift 2pl8 and it still doesn't quench the emptiness inside
>>
Lol, I deadlifted 120kg my first time
>>
>>39020558
I hear once you hit 6 plates is when you become happy
>>
OP watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IGeJEXpF4

You don't want wide stance.
>>
>>39019051
>strong
> can't lift any heavy weight

That's not how it works m8
>>
>>39019000
have you tried being stronger?
>>
>>39019151
You sound like you deadlift how i used to.
Basically lifting the weight with a hip hinge, almost like a SLDL without the stiff legs.
I watched this video and it changed my deadlift life.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoYWLualcmc

When I first applied his advice I really felt like i was squatting the bar up, but i also still felt maximal glute/posterior chain engagement.

Also made his claim that safety bar squats drive up your deadlift make a lot more sense.
I think being too afraid to squat the bar up leads to bad form (leaning too far forward, shoulder girdle over the bar, lifting by hinging at the hips only)

Just something i only recently learned that added 40lb to my deadlift
>>
>>39020612
>can
Lrn2 read
>>
my best friend for the longest was kinda like OP... 4pl8 squat, easily repped out 3 pl8 squats every day

but struggled immensely with 185lb deadlifts

practice makes perfect tho and now his deadlift and squat have evened out
>>
>>39019128
Are you sumo DL? Rippytoe setup:
Feet 12in apart 10 deg point out
Bar 2" in front of shin standing
Bend knees to touch bar
Grip bar either side of legs
Position lower back for lift like you would for squat
Pull bar up legs

Start at 95 if you need to. Or do SLDL for reps until lower back is strong enough to support 135.

I started sldl at 95 lbs x 10 and an your size, weak af. Once I got to 135 I moved to DL and pushed that to lmao2pl on linear progress before I stalled on grip and went to other things.
>>
>>39020571
don't lol it was probably because you were fat lmao
>>
my first fitness test in the military, I couldn't do one (1) pushup.
now I can do at least one (1).
NEVER GIVE UP
>>
>>39019000
just start lighter, i was the weakest fag on earth and needed month to do a single pushup even tho i was skelly, when i started diddlys i maybe used 40 kg or something and after month i reached 2pl8, just go light and learn by doing, if you can get into the starting position you can lift it and its not about flexibility.
>>
>>39019305
or just use some smaller pla8s its not that much of a difference
>>
>>39019000
general diddly question: i deadlifted for quite some time but i always shoot up the hips before the weight left the ground and then my back rounds extremly fast or i force myself to squat the weight up, which is counterproductive ofc. anybody knows some tips for hips shooting up immediatly?
>>
this thread has to be bait. no adult male can be that weak

even the feminine sissies and people in wheelchairs coud deadlift 1 plate
>>
Widen your feet and make sure you're beginning the lift by pushing down through your heel with your hips at the same position they'd be at a good squat depth.

Make sure you get those hips deep each time you're about to lift off. Activating your lower body will do wonders for you deadlift if you find yourself struggling.

It's not about pull the weight. It's not about putting the weight entirely on your back. It's about lifting yourself up from a squat with weight in your hands.
>>
>>39021138
Few options:

*shit quads, is your squat way lower than your deadlift?

*just using too much weight, your hams, adductors, glutes and quads are too weak to get the weight up much, so you round your back to let your spinal erectors aid.
solution: use less weight and keep your back straight at all times (brace your core!)
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.