[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mental gains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: sana.jpg (118KB, 429x670px) Image search: [Google]
sana.jpg
118KB, 429x670px
Any good motivational books, lectures, etc. I can view?

Just going through a mental slump and I need something to get me going again.

Preferably nothing too "dude alpha bro" type shit, but genuine mental gains

Pic unrelated
>>
Models by Mark Manson
>>
>>39011258
Literally "A feminist's guide to pickup". What a faggy book.
>>
Anything by Alan west. Really interesting lectures
>>
>>39011279
He tells people to not be so sensitive and talks about arguing with feminists in like the first five pages. What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>39011253
>Harii Quinn
Want. Also, watch Tony Robbins documentary on Netflix, sit back and have a drink.
>>
>>39011253
Eat pscylocibin mushrooms.
>>
>>39011293
He's constantly prefixing every bit of advice by mocking men who are too masculine/aggressive, rather than explaining his viewpoint (which I happen to agree with). He just sounds like such an insecure faggot.
>>
>>39011299
This.

Alternatively, meditate.

Double alternatively, find a language and start learning it.

The last is my preference.
>>
OP, at the end of your life you will have nothing but the regret over things you didn't do. Don't wait for that to happen. Get what you want and don't let anyone stand in your way!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>39011253
I really enjoyed Moby Dick. It was a pretty OK book and spoke to me on a certain level.

>>39011370
this guy is right, but I've come to realize sometimes the things we regret not doing are things we shouldn't have done anyway, and as long as you are progressing towards your ultimate goals, making it is all that matters and the things some people would hold in their mind until their dying day as something they always wish they had done, when that thing was just another path or stepping stone up to the ultimate goal.

This idea of lying in your death bed saying "Oh I should have done ____, I can't die happy because I didn't do ____ 50 years ago." is absolutely ridiculous. There are so many things to do in life and there are always things we wish we could do or could have done. If you can make it to the end of your life and haven't done that thing, it's because you didn't want to do it bad enough. Assuming you are physically/mentally capable of doing it, anything is possible if you really commit yourself.
>>
>>39011356
I am already learning a language, I agree it is fun
>>
>>39011253
Eternal Golden Braid
>>
Yellow fever leave me reeeeseee
>>
remember to consider your feeding habits. the ammount of carbs and overall sugar has HUGE effects on mental acuity. I spent years depressed until I realized my carb and protein intake were both lower than they should be. when I did eat carbs, I ate shitty ones, so I got spikes and crashes over and over.
>>
File: Momo1.jpg (78KB, 843x1239px) Image search: [Google]
Momo1.jpg
78KB, 843x1239px
>>39011253
>Twice+Harley
I think my dik exploded...fuck you OP!
>>
>>39012192
fuck off weeab
>>
>>39011253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRcHdeUG9Y
I liked this one.

Disregard the leader stuff if you think it's bullshit and just pay attention to the explanations of hormonal system.
>>
The heart of darkness/The secret sharer
by Joseph Conrad. Has the feels and will test your capacity of vocabulary.

also its short, get back in the gym brah.
>>
>>39011253
>meditate
>think in an aware way throughout your life
>restrict entertainment to relevant things like sports or bodybuilding channels. I highly swear by how much that taught me in all honestly.
>Lift
>Do LSD/hallucinagenics on a very conservative regimen.
>>
>>39011253
Alan watts
>>
Start with the greeks.
>mfw all these plebs not getting mental AND physical gains like the greeks
>>
>>39011253
More of this pic?
>>
>>39011253
A good mental well being was a secondary goal by me. Kinda. I think.

The thing is, it is hard to find out how to get it. What kind of variables would you need? Are they all, and only biochemical? Can you get to 100% performance and good mental well being just by good nutrition or sports?

Or would it have to be extended to psychological, outside influences as well through things like the maslow's pyramid of needs?

Can they be extended still to more metaphysical things like having a drive, a need for exploration, to have an unknown as a humanity, in your psyche, like the vast seas in the past before we explored them.

Or perhaps we need conflict still?

You see where I am going with this? Its hard to truly know how to become more happy.

But I can tell you for sure that recently I did became more happy, and only on the merit of the biomechanical part I think. Pure cocoa powder, plus some original jack3d (or a copycat) with MDAA, might have let me rise out of a slump. It may have been a social thing as well, a good thing that happened to me, but I am not sure.

But once you rise out of a slump, like I have 2 days ago. You know that you have been depressed. But its easy to slowly go into a slump without cognition on your part though. It is as if only in very short term changes, you will feel some of your other parts of the brain, be slow in terms of change, who still have some of those depressed things, signal to you that you actually have a change.

But I think that to actually be happy, you would need to have a host of many things go according to your way. The bio mechanical (test included), the pyramid of needs and potentially more.

Meditation or whatever is bullshit, it wont help if your other variables are not aligned in your favor. As we are just animals, chained up with our feelings to a host of variables. Self delusion is not good, the only viable response to negative variables is fighting against them, with effort, not passivity.
>>
>>39011299
>doing shrooms while depressed
I'd go for meditation first. People who can't control their mental state while sober probably shouldn't be applying a sledgehammer to their synapses (I think doing shrooms without ever hitting above 5g is a waste of time, and small doses don't really prepare for high doses all that much). Been there, done that, no regrets, but in retrospect I think it wasn't wise.
>>
>>39011253

Read Walt Whitman's newspaper series on physical fitness (look up "manly health and training"). Then read Walt Whitman's poetry.

If that man's writing doesn't get your creative powers flowing, I don't know what will.
>>
>>39015404
i agree
ive always been wary about warning people that you can have bad trips on shrooms, and the less "well" you are sober, the more likely that is

its like the elephant game. dont think of an elephant. you lost, you're not thinking of an elephant.

knowing that shrooms can result in bad trips is more likely to make it happen because you now know, but i feel the need to warn people about it

bad trip on shrooms can be really horrifying
i would stay away from shrooms until your mental health is in a much better state

or you can be super strong and battle the shit youre going through and using shrooms may help?
just remember, there is no "okay, thats enough, im done" option on shrooms
youre on that ride for 6-8 hours, or more, depending on dosage.
>>
>>39016819
>bad trips on shrooms
Honestly, I didn't even mean "bad trips". I don't actually regret stuff like being caught in a mental loop for the better part of the trip, when I knew exactly what I'm going to think next, again and again. It made me notice that I'm often thinking in circles even while sober, and pointed me towards meditation. I'm not even sure if I ever had a "good" trip from start to end.

I do regret neglecting safety because of my suicidal mood, that ended up with a nasty encounter with the police and a search warrant. (though probably it would also help to pull my head out of my ass and not assume that I'm smarter than all the retards who got themselves in grotesquely stupid situations)
>>
File: jerry.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
jerry.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>39011299

>shrooms

this is bad advice.

Literally any other psychedelic would be a wonderful experience, even stuff much harder than shrooms, but DON'T FUCK AROUND WITH SHROOMS.

Drop acid, smoke dmt, drink ayahuasca, whatever.

But I know wayyyy too many people who didn't know what they were doing and fucked themselves up with shrooms. Shrooms aren't bad, they just aren't for beginners. And in general, psychedelics aren't toys, they're tools.

Pic kinda related. he probab ly would have just said fuck it do a thumbprint and see you in three days.
>>
>>39016878
Lol you fool
>>
>>39014111
what a waste of trips pay debts
>>
>>39016878
>shrooms are dangerous, "not for beginners"
>but ayahuasca is fine

Jesus, can't tell if this is bait or not.

Different drugs are going to be different for different people, but shrooms are ideal for the starting tripper in nearly every case, especially given that dose per weight is pretty consistent and you can start with low dose (although even a high dose will be fine as an introduction to tripping for some, as it was for me).

I was a long-time tripper already when I first tried ayahuasca, and my mind basically fell apart for a while, was fucked for a while even after sobering up. Tried it a second time, and it was definitely a profound experience, but it was essentially 8 hours of clawing my way out of an undescribable, timeless hell before sobering up enough to be able to deal with my thoughts. A couple of years later, I no longer see the experience as 100% bad, but I am still trying to work my way through some of that experience.
I can't imagine anyone recommending this while simultaneously saying shrooms might be dangerous and shouldn't be done by beginners.

Shrooms are a great starter hallucinogenic. Start with a small dose, have an experienced trip-sitter, surround yourself with interesting and beautiful things/environment, and only start it when you're already in a good mood. It can help open your mind in an enjoyable and meaningful way, even and especially for beginners. Mentally safer than dmt, especially in the form of ayahuasca, at any dose level.
>>
>>39011299
this
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOw0eJ84d8
>>
http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/critical-thinking-in-everyday-life-9-strategies/512

and then read the rest of the articles
>>
>>39016878
>And in general, psychedelics aren't toys, they're tools.
Oh fuck off with your smug self-important bullshit about using hallucinogens as "tools". Why does every shitter kid trying hallucinogens nowadays have to make themselves look smart instead of just having fun? It's always the same vague cookie-cutter "I mainly use psychedelics as a tool because I'm so fucking smart and listened to a podcast with Joe Rogan about how DMT is produced in your pineal gland" while they can't really say how it has benefited them in such a important way or how they changed their lives after their oh so deep insights. It's all a part of the nu-male package of internet fame and social justice warriors and organic produce and libertarianism. Just enjoy it for what it is (a drug) like people used to do and stop having such an inflated ego.
>>
MEDITATIONS BY MARCUS AURELIUS.
ONLY GET OXFORD TRANSLATION, NOT SOME PENGUIN SHIT.
>>
File: 1476036614133.jpg (2MB, 4961x3508px) Image search: [Google]
1476036614133.jpg
2MB, 4961x3508px
I'll spoon feed you sum.
>>
Watch these lectures on personality by Jordan Peterson. By far the most interesting course I've ever taken. In these lectures, he explains why mythological representations of mankind are so important, and also adds more modern views from philosophers and psychologists when it comes to understanding personality.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22J3VaeABQAhrMCQUa6sde_Y9DVbLYRv
>>
>>39019386

>le stoicism meme
>>
>>39015347
Biggest fucking block of shit I've read all week thanks mate
>>
>>39015347
Could you elaborate more on your feelings against meditation? If I understand correctly, I believe it simply acknowledge your inability to change the things beyond human control and embraces it in a non-fatalistic matter.

I think meditation is extremely valuable no matter what stage of life you're in.
>>
>>39019241
>everything I don't like is nu-male
>even things that directly contradict each other

You have to go back.
>>
>>39021973
>this guy says something I disagree with
>I'll claim that he's wrong and then write a meme, that will show him
>>
>>39011253
I'll recommend Alan Watts' Out of your Mind, but you'll probably never even look the man up.
>>
>>39019543

You forgot atlas shrugged you filthy entry level pleb
>>
>>39022409
>ann rand
>not entry level
is the joke supposed to be that you suggested a babby-tier author or..?
>>
Mishima's essay Sun and Steel. Reread it probably every few months.
>I was driven to the conclusion that the “I” in question corresponded precisely with the physical space that I occupied. What I was seeking, in short, was a language of the body.
If my self was my dwelling, then my body resembled an orchard that surrounded it. I could either cultivate that orchard to its capacity or leave it for the weeds to run riot in. I was free to choose, but the freedom was not as obvious as it might seem. Many people, indeed, go so far as to refer to the orchards of their dwellings as “destiny.”
One day, it occurred to me to set about cultivating my orchard for all I was worth. For my purpose, I used sun and steel. Unceasing sunlight and implements fashioned of steel became the chief elements in my husbandry. Little by little, the orchard began to bear fruit, and thoughts of the body came to occupy a large part of my consciousness.
>All this did not occur, of course, overnight
>>
>>39016819
Beats a bad trip on LSD.
14 hour ride, and you can't even sleep
>>
>>39015404
Done caps 5-6 times now, but never been over 5g. Any mentals gains to be made by going higher up? Most I ever took was 4.2g
>>
File: I-wish-I-had-tried.jpg (341KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
I-wish-I-had-tried.jpg
341KB, 1296x972px
>>39011370
That's the truth. My regrets keep me up at night.
>>
>>39019386
good shit
>>
>>39019386
This x100. Stoicism may have been proven to have flaws by later philosophers, but it's still some very inspiring stuff.
>>
>>39011279
Literally kys
>>
>>39019386
This book read to me like the post-it notes of a very depressed and very busy man. Don't go in expecting a cohesive philosophy
>>
>>39014075
>aware

aware
>>
File: 1475865940244.jpg (1MB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1475865940244.jpg
1MB, 2048x1366px
I'm going to go against the grain and say screw reading a classic. Too many people have spent to many hours analyzing them for first hand readings of the text to be particularly time efficient.My advice to pick some form of art you find faul and try to find the value in it. I am going to recommend poetry or opera. For opera I recommend Peter Grimes and for poetry I recommend Langston Hughes.
>>
Watch Frank Yang vids
>>
>>39025787
His videos are definitely eye opening
>>
>>39025963
lawl
>>
>>39011253
just listen to some motivational music.
eminems stuff is good as well as some of kaynes stuff
>>
reading the great gatsby really spoke to me on a personal level
>>
>>39026819
>eminem
>kanye

i'm not 14 bro
>>
Anything by Alan west. Really interesting lectures
>>
>>39026839
then enjoy your self help bullshit.

99% of the time its an emotional response. i.e. you're being emotional.

you dont need people spoonfeeding you motivational stuff, and you dont need to spend time analysing books

you just need to man the fuck up and get on with it.

you dont learn to swim by reading books about swimming.
>>
>>39026865
>you dont learn to swim by reading books about swimming.
not him, but I've legit learned how to lift from a book about lifting (and yt videos).
>>
>>39026891
did you get stronger by reading books?

what im getting at is, getting information gives you the theory. but to gain competence takes practice.

you are already alive and made it until now, it means you must already know the theory, but instead of getting competence through practice you choose to read more theory.
>>
>>39026925
>getting information gives you the theory. but to gain competence takes practice.

Yeah and I'm looking for the information ya dingus
>>
OP, at the end of your life you will have nothing but the regret over things you didn't do. Don't wait for that to happen. Get what you want and don't let anyone stand in your way!!!FACT!!!
>>
http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/critical-thinking-in-everyday-life-9-strategies/512

and then read the rest of the articles
>>
>>39024792
That makes sense, because it is pretty much just a collection of short fragments of thought, written down over the span of several years, as therapy (for when he was writing) and/or self-help (for himself in the future, and for his adopted grandson and intended successor).
It is not a cohesive whole, and there's some repetition.
Some aspects seem weird, but make sense given that it was written almost 2000 years ago, by a man who saw it as his duty to defend his empire and the roman way of life.
But overall it's still a good and useful read.
>>
>>39011253
Read philosophy. (Or listen to audiobooks)
>>
>>39026951

b-b-but what if it goes wrong? REEEE
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.