[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/quitting/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 2

File: quitting.jpg (55KB, 1140x500px) Image search: [Google]
quitting.jpg
55KB, 1140x500px
anyone ever quit cold turkey? 2nd week and its not easier than the first day. "The first 3 days is the hardest" is a lie.
>>
I smoked a pack a day for a couple years. Weaned down to half a day. Then 5 a day. To 1-3 a day. Then I just quit because I was sick of smelling like shit and being self conscious about it around people after I smoke.

I still get cravings at times when stressed but I think about the hassles I go through each time I smoke and decide not to.
>>
>>38972419
The cravings will never go away. I quit in dec 2014 cold turkey. Have not had one cig since then. Still get bad cravings when I see/ smell someone smoking my brand. But the cravings do happen alot less frequently as time goes by. But they will never go away completely. Just gotta stay strong.
>>
>>38972451
i've smoked about 3/4 of a pack a day for about 9 years give or take. And I didn't realize how insanely addicted I was. I might as well have smoked for 40 years it's, just THAT difficult to quit. Oh well, i'm doing extremely well and this is the longest i've ever went. This is definitely the attempt that will be successful.
>>
>>38972486
how long did you smoke for? and thanks man, i've heard this before. I just want to know when i'll be able to read again, and focus and concentrate.
>>
First 3 days only applies to weed

I've gone 2 days without smoking any weed or masturbating. Very proud of myself. Of course I smoked what little was left like a junkie for 3 days first, but I'm good now
>>
How do I quit 4chan cold turkey? Srs
>>
>>38972510
oh man I hated that. I am fine if I don't have weed, but I cannot have weed and not go full retard and smoke it every day.
>>
>>38972419
I quit cold turkey 12 years ago.
>>
>>38972419
Just started a week ago, no plans on stopping. Smoking around 1-3 a day
>>
>>38972419
You misunderstood OP...
It hit a climax at the 3th day.

From that point on the urges will get less frequent.
>>
I quit cold turkey 4 months ago.
The first month is the hardest, after that it's entirely a mental gamethe cravings will never go away but eventually it's as easy as literally saying no.
>>
>>38972690
This. spending unhealthy amounts of time here. set a timed browser blocker but then I just started using a different browser.
>>
Oldfag here. Smoked Marlboro Reds for 17 years. Quit with a Welbutrin prescription. Have been tobacco free for over a decade now. The Welbutrin sure helped but I still inhale deep when I walk past a smoking area. It is like the addiction got inside my DNA. That said Welbutrin really did the trick. Made tobacco and weed all taste like stale burning dogshit while taking away the satisfaction.
>>
get an e-cig. I haven't had a cig in 5 months because of them.
>>
>>38972954
>get an e-cig
>i've continued to smoke for 5 months becase of them

>>38972419
i smoked 8 years. quit cold turkey cause i got tired of my throat and lungs feeling like garbage every morning. i told my gf i was going to "take a break for a month or two to see if it clears up" and just kept off them.

still get cravings during high stress/anxiety moments or post-high stress/anxiety scenarios. if i smell it then cravings appear too.

just gotta tell yourself "no."
>>
>>38972852
Are you thee oldguy (50+)?
>>
>>38972419

smoked for 15 years, 1 pack a day, oldfag reporting in.

did cold turkey and honestly the 1st week was hard, but at the end of it I was already a lot better than expected. A bit quick to anger still but the cravings were much lower already.

something that I did and believe to be THE reason it wasn't so bad was to try changing my routine as much as possible. And I mean everything possible, especially the small things.

For instance, I used to wake up, have breakfast and then a cig before shower. When I quit, I showered first, then went to the breakfast. Tried to make a new route to work, replaced coffee with water (VERY important if you're a coffee addict like me), ate on different times and on different places, the list goes on. Point is, much of your cravings are directly related to your routine and by changing that you break this association.

So try this, I just might be what you need to finish this bitch of an addiction.
>>
Do the cravings never get that bad if you limit your intake?

I only smoke once a day, started about 3 months ago, went a week without it because I couldn't afford them and didn't feel any different.
>>
Are you running? I found it easier to quit once I experienced my complete lack of endurance at higher VO2s. Also the serotonin (runners high) helps with the craves.

I still have a smoke every once in a month or so when I go out and some friend is smoking. Just push it out of your day to day life.

Good luck man and remember it's all in your head.
>>
OP here, thanks everyone.

Does this extreme fatigue go away? It's still unbearable. I'm scared because i've heard people on week 8 say that they still have unbelievable fatigue
>>
>>38972419
I did. It was rather easy. Thinking of no dirty ash trays, never having to make a trip to get cigs and never smoking with a cold were enough to tide me over until the addiction died. The health aspect was the icing on the cake. Quitting coffee is harder than quitting smoking.
>>
>>38974674
how long did you smoke for, and how many smokes/day
>>
>>38972419
I had a failed attempt back in June.

I made it 17 days.

I smoke menthols.

Mint gum and menthol cough drops all day.

Nicotine gum for at home when bored.

I failed cause I'm weak, and I enjoy it.

Keeping busy helped
>>
>>38974726
Total guess here I think it was for about 8 years and I smoked probably a little under a half pack a day on average. I went through periods of smoking more/less but I was addicted the whole time. Quit cold turkey also quit a daily 8 shot a day alcohol addiction cold turkey at the same time.
>>
Go to the doctor, get Wellbutrin script and take for 2 weeks before quitting. At 2 week mark throw out all tobacco and paraphernalia, clean your house and car so you don't smell any smoke. Go through all 3 steps of patches over the course of 6 weeks. If you smoked over a pack a day you can supplement with lozenges or gum under medical supervision. This has an almost 100% success rate over a 2 month period. Literally the only people who fail it are the ones too stupid to follow the directions.

Alternatively, if you are rich you can just use Chantix.

Vaping is not even an option, and is dumb as shit if you want to quit. If you need that explained to you, then you probably deserve to be smoking.
>>
I smoked 6 years total, 1 pack a day for first 5 then 2 packs a day for the last year. I had quit before for maybe a month and a half, but shit happened and went back to it. Quitting is easy to do when you reach that "oh shit" moment where you realize you have to stop. It really is all a mental game.

>Chew gum whenever you get the urge to smoke
>Always have a pen in your hand or in your mouth; although it sounds dumb, it helps take your subconscious off of the fact you have nothing in your hand (IE: Cigarette).

>W-Who even needs nicotine, right?
>>
>>38972498

I smoked for a few years and quit cold turkey.

It gets progressively easier, after a month you'll be wondering why it took you so long to finally quit.
>>
i'm going out to smoke right now, bye guys
>>
>>38974874

Good for you man, especially on quitting the chronic daily alcohol. You've added decades to your life.
>>
>>38974952

Oh, and try to take it one craving at a time.

They usually only last like 5 minutes so you just have to keep yourself occupied for those 5 minutes and then you're in the clear until your next craving which will become further and further apart.
>>
This thread is about smoking tobacco not pole
>>
>>38974928
I wish I could, I took wellbutrin for something unrelated to smoking and it drove me near insane after a week on it.
>>
>>38972954
Brought myself down to 0mg two months ago. I get a craving every time I get in the car, but the burn does it for me. Honestly, I'm just going to stick woth 0mg for as long as I crave anything at all.
>>
honestly, this probably will only help small-time smokers but this is how I "quit".

I didn't even want to, but last christmas and new years me and my buddies drank like everyday for days straight, smoking ciggies and whatnot then after i slept I woke up feeling like an ash tray, almost getting physically sick whenever I saw a cigarette.

I pretty much stopped smoking for like 2 weeks straight out of disgust, but now I smoke when I drink. I can't smoke sober, or alone.
>>
>>38974928

>Vaping is not even an option, and is dumb as shit if you want to quit. If you need that explained to you, then you probably deserve to be smoking.

Heaps of people have quit smoking cigarettes by taking up vaping retard.
>>
>>38972419
The first three days should be the first three weeks. And if you chain smoke and drink, forget trying to quit smoking. The first, second or third time you drink you will be killing fags like a shitlord.
>>
File: 1424805815014.jpg (36KB, 366x334px) Image search: [Google]
1424805815014.jpg
36KB, 366x334px
>>38975015
>Heaps of people have quit smoking by taking up smoking.
>>
Was pretty easy but I didn't smoke very long- maybe 2 years? Just occupied my time with something else when I wanted to smoke and the urge went away fairly quickly.
>>
>>38975032

You either dropped out of school at a very young age or you've got an extreme learning disability if you think carcinogenic smoke and water vapor are equally as harmful to the body.
>>
>>38973235
You will start having more than one a day...trust me
>>
>>38975061
>implying you're only vaporizing water

holy shit.
>>
>>38975061
not the anon you're arguing with, but damn YOU are retarded if you think you're vaping water vapor
>>
>>38975015

You totally don't own a shabby e-cig store in some dirty little dead strip mall, right anon?
>>
Just start vaping
>>
Think I'm really resistant to addictions.
Is there a term for this?
Have chained smoked and had caffeine pills for months, decided to stop one day to save money and haven't felt the desire to try again or withdrawals. Years later I might have a cigar once a year if I felt like I accomplished alot in that year and want to reflect on my experiences.
>>
Last smoked on the 10th August 2016, before that I went January-March 2016, before that January-July 2015.

It's definitely easier for me to stop for more than a couple of weeks than it used to be. Cardio tends to help early on, it shows you how messed up your lungs are.
>>
>>38975061
nicotine itself is carcinogenic

cravings are awful. i smoked daily for a year to deal with stress and it was the worst decision i've ever made.
>>
>>38976997
Nicotine itself is not carcinogenic.
But it is really bad for your heart, so it's still probably best to just quit.
>>
>>38975264
I dont know why i laughed so hard at this and i dont think i ever want an answer
>>
>>38972451
i quit from smoking a pack a day. first smoked less, then bought the e-cigarette and smoked half and half, then less and less real cigarettes, switched entirely to the e-cig and then i lost it. been almost 3 years. good life.
>>
>>38972419
ok anons I will tell you how I quit and this worked for me, not saying it will work for everyone. It's a story I haven't told anyone in my life. And in fact, it's the reason why I started working out.

Back in summer 2015 I felt depressed because my research as a PhD student was going no where, and I felt underappreciated in my group. Add the tfw no gf feels, my confidence was crippling and I wanted something to forget how shitty my situation was at the moment.

I was on holidays and basically bought my first pack of cigarettes and started smoking. It was cool, until I realized I was addicted. I was not smoking too much, however if I didn't do 3-4 cigarettes a day, my guts would be screaming for a smoke. Usually I smoked in the morning 2 cigarettes and the rest after work.

I forgot to say I felt ashamed for smoking, so I made sure I didn't smoke in front of others.

This went on and on for 3-4 months which is when the question of "do you want to grow up and be a smoker" started to arise. Every time I grabbed a cigarette I felt like shit, but I had to do it because I was addicted.

I tried quitting cold turkey three times, the first time unfortunately worked for a week, because something stressful at work happened and it triggered my addiction very bad. It was so bad that I actually found a pack of cigarettes just right next to my home, I opened it and smoked the 1 remaining cigarette that was there.

After that I bought a pack and continued for a month or something. The second time I decided this is it, I don't give shit anymore, I am done smoking. Again, a month later something really unlucky ? happened. After a party I was in, I found an ENTIRE PACK of cigarettes lying on a fucking pavement. I couldn't just leave it there, I said I would take it and just have it in my place.

Of course wasn't just in my place, I decided it would be fine to get a smoke or two every day or so. Sure.... again, addicted.
>>
>>38977155
1-2 months later, it was a Sunday and I bought a pack of cigarettes called "LA".

I had downloaded some English gangster movie, I don't recall the name, and every single scene there had someone smoking a cigar. By the end of this movie I was disgusted as shit because I was smoking as well while watching it.

The sight of someone smoking was appalling to me.

Now here comes the thing, 1 week before I had seen the last hangover movie, and in that movie they went to LA and promised themseleves that they would go there one last time.

I don't know why and how, but my disgust of that movie and this quote alone, AND the fact that my pack was named "LA", made me quit cold turkey and I have been clean ever since.

Summer of 2016 I was on holiday again and decided to do the opposite of what I did in summer of 2015, started working out. I started running, a lot of fucking running. Then I started lifting and feel better than ever.

anyway, a lot of details were ignored, but this is more or less how I quit smoking after ~6 months.
>>
>>38977179
just found the film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3569230/
>>
Why is everyone so obsessed with quitting cold turkey?
I prefer warm turkey, usually fresh from the oven but I don't think I'd ever want to quit cold turkey
It's a great source of protein as well
>>
>>38972718
Anon, this upsets me. Please stop, while you can. The addiction is like being thirsty, you need to drink. Only it's low nicotine levels, and you need to smoke.
>>
>>38972419
>1-2 months later, it was a Sunday and I bought a pack of cigarettes called "LA".

I've quit for 6 months 3 times. I've quit for 2-3 weeks an additional 3 times. I'm not smoked/vaped now for almost 2 years,

The truth is, you might get to month 3 and have a cigarette and fall back into a 10 a day habit within a week.

I've quit almost 2 year now. I have now successfully gone drinking with buddies and can turn down cigarettes while drunk. That is why I failed the first 2 times I got to 6 months. Drinking makes you sleepy and cigarettes give you an extra 40 minutes boost.

What I am saying is you will probably fail. The first week is bad, the third week is bad, then around the 3rd month is also bad. But then you pretty much forget about smoking, and the smell repulses you. If you are in an office environment it's harder to quit and I'm sure if you live with or are around smokers it's also harder to quit.

Just remember if you fail you can still accept smoking is fucking shit, and your first cigarette after quitting for longer than a few weeks will taste like utter shit. So will the next 3 or 4. Then they will taste good again. That's when you finally realise that it's not the cigarette you crave, it's the drug.

But when you get to 3 months, that's when you really start to feel the benefit of not smoking, no cough, no cravings, more money for those little luxuries you couldn't afford before. I don't care if you have to order a fucking pizza and bottle of coke. If you are about to relapse and this will stop the cravings do it.

I've just quit coffee for almost 2 weeks now. The headaches were awful for the first week. I love coffee, but 5 cups a day and £6.25 for 250g (the absolute best stuff I can get) was starting to take it's toll. I will start drinking again, but knowing I was addicted I can't bring myself to have a cup that isn't decaf. When this decafe is gone I will have my first cup again.

Anyway good luck with that.
>>
Memes aside you should vape.
The hardest things for me is that I could go weeks or even months without smoking. But one day, out of the blue, I would think "damn, I could go for a cig right now".
Then I'd be right back in the cycle.
With a vape at least it'll be there when I have the urge instead of buying a pack.
>>
>>38972487
>This is definitely the attempt that will be successful.
A+ mindset, you're gonna make it bruh
>>
>Had my first cigarette yesterday after some guy offered me one at a party
>Take one puff, feel my lungs start to die and throw that shit on the ground

How do people tolerate cigarettes? To you just get used to the feeling?
>>
>>38972419
I smoke black and milds, it's not the same as cigarettes, but I just went my first day in a long time without a single one. Feels good.
>>
Just take up vaping and reduce nicotine levels over a period of time. If you have no will power then cold turkey is stupid.
>>
>>38978660
yes and then you get addicted to that feeling
>>
>>38975076
This. Nobody starts with smoking a pack a day.
>>
>>38978975
I did this then my vape blew up and now I dont smoke/vape anything :(
>>
>>38972419
I did that for benzos 3 years ago
no idea how I didnt get problems from it
>>
Quit cold turkey 8 months ago
>>
Quit cold turkey after about five years... never smoked a pack a day though, more like 5-6 unless I was drinking. No urges, no withdrawals, nothing. Effortless really.
>>
>>38972706
I can relate to that. I never smoked massive amounts, but I would always do it every even at like 7 then chill until midnight and go to bed
>>
>>38972419
I just stopped because of laziest and it was cold outside. Smoked a pack a week previously.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.