[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is manual labour a good way to get gains?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Is manual labour a good way to get gains?
>>
It is an excellent way to get work-related injuries.
>>
It's a good way to fuck up your body, desu senpai.
>>
>>38952627
What about proper form and common sense?
>>
>>38952615
No not really
>>
its pretty good indeed.
i became a road builder because of that. Deadlifts gone up 10lbs since then.
go for it
>>
>>38952618
That's kinda vague because a brick could fall and hurt someone but it wouldn't be there fault, I'm asking if someone has good form and common sense will they see gains from this type of work
>>
>>38952635
If you want to be fired for being a slow piece of shit, by all means do that. You can't win with these types of jobs.
>>
>>38952635
There is no proper form for hunching over to shingle a roof or dig a hole
>>
>>38952615
No, not an optimal thing. Too much exhaustion. Too little rest time. It may work to improve gains if you bring some proteins, creatine and proper foods to your job. But it wont be optimal compared to normal workouts.
>>
>>38952647
>common sense

That's difficult to find in employees and employers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3795897/?report=classic

>With over 11 million workers, the construction industry represents one of the largest industries in the U.S. 1. The industry faces several occupational health challenges and when compared to other industries they have a significantly higher rate of work-related injuries and very high prevalence of both acute and chronic musculoskeletal pain.

>Back injury/pain is often chronic in these workers, as almost 40% of construction workers older than 50 years report chronic back pain.
>>
I can't even work manual labor because I don't speak Spanish and they would have to pay me minimum wage
>>
>>38952710
This is America anon. Speak Spanish or geeeet out
>>
>>38952615

Not financial gains that's for sure.
>>
>>38952767
Oil riggers make mad dosh
>>
>>38952674
Thats a pretty depressing prospect. Because some of these manual jobs pay pretty well.

And I have been doing such a job as well and from my experience, really doing backbreaking work where one is expected to be fast to such a point where you can get injuries, are rare.

98% of the time I had enough time, approval to just use proper techniques from the bosses.

Though I got a completely different injury than with the back now, in my arm, from too much strain.
>>
>industrial electrician working 2 weeks on/2 weeks off
>Pull fucking shit loads of bigass cables
>gain about 3kgs on the 2 weeks off due to having nothing else to do but eat and lift
>lose about 3kgs while I'm at work while still lifting 6 days/week after 12 hour shifts
>constantly gaining strength and muscle mass whilst remaining at the same relative weight

TLDR: Be a sparky for dat recomp
>>
>>38952767
then why are all my rich neighbours tradies
>>
>>38952615
nope

i did manual shit all my life
worked out lots
no gains

got office jobby
got so mad gains it was crazy
your body can recover better when you can sit on your ass all day mang
>>
>>38952767
22 year old electrician on 115k AUD salary isn't that bad
>>
If by manual labor you mean construction, then no.

Plenty of other jobs might want "manual labor" on occasion without the issue of minimum wage and injuries
>>
>>38952776
My uncle works on the rigs and makes 130k a year after taxes, and is strong as fuck. But he doesn't lift because lifting huge ass bits all day and handling the heavy ass tubes is hard fucking work
>>
I worked at a construction site and all the guys there could easily OHP 225lbs cement bags multiple times throughout the day wasn't any push press bullshit too they didn't use their legs at all
>>
>>38952615
>doing manual labour
>finally try ohp acts in seperate arms
>my right shoulder can handle almost 10 pounds more
>>
>>38952615
yes

gained 10kg on ohp over a month
>>
I do HVAC. I don't do a lot of installation stuff, but light duty shit like wire the units. Braze copper line sets, program thermostas, climb rooftops, change filters, replace motors and compressors can be very physically demanding, but is not often.

My back and knees hurt, and I'm 25. Thinking about going to a physical therapist cause my back pain prevent heavy deadlifts/ squats.
>>
>>38955501
got it from 30kg to 40kg nice work!!
>>
File: image.png (6KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6KB, 205x246px
>tfw too intellectual for manual labor
>>
>>38953347
aren't those 90lbs?
>>
>>38955952

>tfw too much of a faggot for manual labor.

If you aren't using your hands to build things you aren't a man.
>>
>>38955815
Sitting down at a desk all day hurts my back too
>>
>>38956116
>being this new
>>
>>38956116
I'll keep my money. Thanks though.
>>
>>38952656
You've never worked a labor job obviously.
>>
>>38953347
nigger theres no such thing as a 225 pound cement bag
>>
>>38952615
Eddie Hall was a construction worker and now he deadlifts 500kg
>>
>>38952615

I once had a factory job where I was mixing ingredients for protein bars. I would regularly lift 40-80 lbs of ingredients including oats, whey protein, vitamins, etc. Basically I was working out for 12 hours a day and eating nothing but protein bars. Honestly I feel like that's where most of my strength came from. I did that for about a year before I ever thought about lifting weights.

One thing to be conscious of is that you need to alternate your body movements, make sure you are working your body symmetrically. Sometimes it will involve doing certain tasks using your non dominant hand/body side to even it out. It might not be the best for a bodybuilding competition, but it will help you gain strength for the particular movements/lifts the job requires and help you burn calories. And you get paid!
>>
>>38952656
>fired for being slow

Confirmed for never having done manual labor. Overseers are paranoid about injuries and will pounce on you if you are lifting improperly, lifting too heavy, lifting in a rotating/non stable motion, working at an improperly adjusted workstation, standing on unstable footing and any other situation that might even remotely increase risk of an injury.

Maybe if you work in some dodgy outfit with a bunch of illegal workers who can't complain about the conditions and a boss who knows he won't have to deal with it if they get hurt.
>>
>>38955981
>>38956277
I think he means two 25lbs cement bags. Which is 50lbs obviously.
>>
>>38955952
*two
>>
>>38952615

>Gainz
>No progressive overload

Pick one.

Unless you work a manual labour job that will gradually let you increase what you lift in small increments over a period of time all you're gonna get is RSIs.
>>
>>38956864
spotted the dyel
al strong people through history all had ridiculous work capacity, and how did they get that? they trained fucking hard and heavy in the ym AND did manuel labour NO FUCKING STEROIDS
>>
Depends, some builders are massive from lifting and carrying things for 20 years and eating like an ox.

Most of them are skinny/average with a bad back, joint problems, having shit and dirt fly into their eyes and mouth etc.

Very painful work
>>
>>38956896

Spotted the hamplanet powerlifter.

He said gains, not strength.
>>
>>38956952
hahahhahahhaahahaah
you look tiny in clothes fuckboy
kys srs
>>
>>38956864
>He gets out of breath when he eats
>>
>>38956949
Yeah all the guys I know who work manual labour look like shit. They're fat and flabby with skinny arms and no chest. Then they just drink and eat pizza

Fucking disgusting
>>
>>38952615
You will get forearm gains that last a lifetime. My 75 year old grandpa was a farmer and still has strong as fuck arms.
>>
It's a good way to remain poor and be looked at as the worst of society
>>
>>38952615
My father was a manual laborer and he was a tall as fuck buff dude with great arms, so I would assume yes as long as the job isn't too strenuous
>>
Friends was a carpenter out of highschool till his mid twenties. He said he's back is so fucked he had to stop and find a new career
>>
>>38952615
No, it tires you out too much to do your actual lifting, especially if you work full time. It will help your grip strength though.
>>
>>38957064
How does it make you black?
>>
>>38952615
I'll share my manual labor story, kind /fit/izen:
>be archeology student
>do 6 weeks of excavation practice, in the middle of hot summer
>8 hours a day from Monday to Friday, 6 hours on Saturday, Sunday is rest-day
>none of that wussy careful brush excavation, had to manually cut trough 2-3 meters of architectural debris (bricks, pieces of stone, metal, ceramic, layer of concrete in one case) to get to the good stuff (glorious late medieval/early modern)
>was mainly using shovel, pickaxe, and pushed wheelbarrow up the 3 meter tall spoil tip
>moved literal metric tons of heavy, hard, debris filled soil
>was also doing an hour of body-weight training after work every other day (pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups and such), with jogging after work every other day (went from 3k to 16k in those 6 weeks)
>additional half hour of fencing routine everyday, except Sunday
>dig site was near seashore, so Sunday was swim and volleyball day
>ate nothing but boiled eggs, lentil, beetroot, buttermilk, various fruit and veggies, very rarely meat (poor student me)
>slept like a dead man, 7 hour minimum
>went from stout, little fat 100 kg (220 pounds) to glorious 100 kg of muscular masculinity, at height of 193 cm (6'3")

You can make it work, Anon. But, and this is VERY important, pay attention to safety. Also proper form when lifting heavy shit, digging etc. or you'll wreck your spine, hips and knees. Learn to use weaker side in repetitive task, like carrying over shoulder, pulling, or using any kind of hand tool, just to avoid asymmetry.
>>
not really, but it's exhausting and you will spend more time than you'd like in uncomfortable positions depending on what kind of a construction worker you want to be. there's no progressive overload or anything like that involved.
>>
>>38952656
>working too slow
White construction companies literally get paid to stand around like idiots for 8 hrs while only actually working for 2. Because of unions, these """"""""labourers"""""""""""" make 30 bucks an hour. Risk of injury is non existent in most construction jobs
>>
>>38952615

I used to work manual labour at a mattress factory a few years back and it was killing my gains.

>can't be bothered to go to the gym after/before work because too tired
>making shit gainz when I do go because I can't rest my muscles properly afterwards
>hurt my back a couple of times resulting in months of shit gains using a nerfed routine
>all the drinking and the shit dieting on account of working a soul destroying job.

Manual Labour: Not Even Once
>>
File: 1472175807676.jpg (76KB, 645x858px) Image search: [Google]
1472175807676.jpg
76KB, 645x858px
>>38956116
>that tfw too intelligent to have to use hands
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 275x183px
>>38952615
>tfw white so can get bigboy job
>>
>>38952615
Great cardio workout, helped my endurance. Then work out when you get home.
>>
>>38957932
Math major?

Any job you want 300k+ starting?
>>
>>38952615
Gave me solid calf gains and some forearm gains.
The foot and back pain slowed down my squat and diddy progress comsiderably though
>>
>>38952656
Confirmed never worked
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 300x450px
>>38957932
>tfw white so don't have to grovel on my knees on a hot roof like an animal for work
>>
File: 1475384486929.jpg (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475384486929.jpg
78KB, 600x600px
>>38952656
>>
>>38958086
You know a lot of animals that grovel on rooftops?
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 450x300px
>>38957932
>tfw white and will literally never have to dig a hole for minimum wage
>>
>>38956518
My boss has fired plenty of people for being slow
>>
>>38958242
Dont listen to that anon, he lives in a union state. In right to work states you can get fired because the boss didnt like you. Its different.
>>
>>38955815

What's your opinions on HVAC engineers desu
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 900x675px
>>38957932
>tfw you don't have to work at your job as hard because you're white
>>
you will get dad strength and nothing else
>>
>>38958100
Birds, cats, etc.
>>
>>38959561
Cats on rooftops?
>>
>>38956116
I'm the engineer. Huge numbers of hand produce what I tell them too while I do curls at my desk and make as much as them put together. Stay mad.
>>
>>38957156
Doing manual labor means you are black or ok with living like a black, being treated like one by society.
>>
File: 515615156455.jpg (659KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
515615156455.jpg
659KB, 1600x900px
>>38959581
meow motherfucker
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 400x400px)
image.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
>>38959624
>tfw too intellectual to live near black people but paycheck doesn't agree
>>
>>38959597
What kind of engineering?

It always make me kek thinking of the poor plebs that have to physically build my designs. They're like my little roaches desu
>>
>>38959624
Doing manual labor is how any country is built.
Even kings know that without craftsmen and laborers his empire would crumble.

You're a snooty cunt who will never amount to anything
>>
>>38959624
>Black
>Working

Pick one
>>
>>38952615

I've found its a good way to fatigue yourself enormously, but I've managed to lift and make some gains in spite of it
>>
>>38959597

You'll never be truly happy.
>>
Good form goes out the window when youve been doing some reasonably heavy, continuos work for more than half a day. especially in the heat.

24/Aus

Landscape Construction (paving, block and timber retaining walls, pools, concreting, digging holes pushing wheelbarrows. 6 years. Elbows, knees, wrists and lower back are all kinds of wrecked.

some of the work we do is unreal though.

Sandstones blocks we built steps out of last week. cut in half 210kgs each.
>>
>>38960257

Are you saying that because you're a butthurt blue collar slave or are you speaking from experience?
>>
File: basicsofkfc.jpg (52KB, 450x750px)
basicsofkfc.jpg
52KB, 450x750px
>>38959777
mirin those trips of truth
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.