[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a Physics major at a Top 200 school and all these threads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1475034588744.jpg (89KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475034588744.jpg
89KB, 1000x800px
I'm a Physics major at a Top 200 school and all these threads about whether you should count the bar got me thinking.

After doing some calculations, I discovered that due to Newton's 3rd law, the the bar actually exerts a weight on the plates equal to the force of gravity exerted on the bar.

So if you bench 1pl8, the actual amount of weight you lifted is (weight on bar)-(weight of bar)=45 lb.
>>
lol this post again
>>
>>38889804
lol
>>
>>38889804
*45 Litergrams
>>
File: 1446694020151.gif (2MB, 292x200px) Image search: [Google]
1446694020151.gif
2MB, 292x200px
omelette du fromage
>>
File: 1473721622760.jpg (6KB, 150x225px) Image search: [Google]
1473721622760.jpg
6KB, 150x225px
>>38889804

>Top 200 school
>>
hahaa you dnt need to be a scienist to kno ure lifting the weights ON the bar not the bar itself loll
>>
>>38889804
>1pl8
>45 lbs
ah yes, the crooked bench press is my favourite. Really builds those stabilizers.
>>
>top 200
Lmaokek. Your school is probably 200 huh
>>
>>38889804
it does not exert weight on the plate it exerts equal amount of pressure against it. fuck off and stop trying to think your smart when you dont even have half a brain
>>
You also have to take into account the buoying effect of the air between the ground and the bar. Imagine the bar as floating on top of a pool of water that rises up as you lift it.

As you raise the bar you push air out of the way and air quickly collapses into the space below, just as water fills the space you occupy in a pool as you get out.

What does this mean? It means you're lifting far less weight than you think you are because the rush of air under the plates as you lift basically pushes the weight up for you. A 215lb bench press is really more like 170lbs.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.