[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best martial arts to get into?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: martial-arts-21.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
martial-arts-21.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
What are the best martial arts to get into?
>>
>>38882278
Boxing
>stamina
>coordination
>best punches and how to take/block/dodge punches, useful in that most street fights are punching
Just learn some good ground fighting art along with it and you'll be really well rounded
>>
>>38882278
Southpaw boxing
>>
boxing
>father son bonding
BJJ
>no homo...
wrestling
>fighting chad
Muay Thai
>fighting niggers
>>
>>38882278
the style literally doesn't matter as long as you practice full contact sparring
>>
File: Martial Arts Flow Chart.jpg (705KB, 1632x1732px) Image search: [Google]
Martial Arts Flow Chart.jpg
705KB, 1632x1732px
Truth is that there is no 'one true' martial art. DESU, the instructor is going to matter more than the art. You need to try out a few gyms in your area and find an instructor that connects with you and teaches in a style that helps you grow.

Just watch out for McDojo.

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning
>>
>>38882278
Shaolin Kung Fu.
>>
Boxing and Wing Chun. Everything else is tryhard shit.
>>
>>38882538
Why does BJJ require a lot of money? Is it just expensive classes; I'm looking at starting
>>
>>38882309

This plus judo. If you drop mutherfucker on a street it's most likely intstant KO.
>>
File: tumblr_mgzmaxwz7j1s21tkdo1_500.gif (946KB, 475x211px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgzmaxwz7j1s21tkdo1_500.gif
946KB, 475x211px
>>38882572
>>
>>38882616
goddamn right it's fucking expensive it takes 10 years of blood, sweat, tears, and asskissing to open up your own school and/or get any goddamn respek
>>
Striking:
>Boxing
>Kickboxing
>Muay Thai (pronounced "mew-tie" you ignorant cucks)

Takedowns:
>Judo
>Wrestling
>Sambo

Grappling (ground):
>BJJ
>Jujutsu

pick one in each. if you're gonna pick only one then kickboxing.
>>
I do BJJ because it's free and fits my schedule but for practical self defense I'd say boxing
>gun is best though
>>
File: flair.jpg (142KB, 758x688px) Image search: [Google]
flair.jpg
142KB, 758x688px
>>38882616
Basically, there is a different attitude between the two that comes from the top down.
The most visible part of this is the uniform. In Judo, the founder (Kano) made everyone wear three plain items (jacket, belt, pants) which were items that the common man had access to, and he refused to allow 'caste' system clothing onto the mat for training. The idea was that everyone is equal on the mat, and the only thing that matters is your skill on the mat. Which was pretty progressive in the late 1800s. The idea that the only person that mattered on the mat was you, and not your family or your money. In Judo, the only thing that matters is your ability to execute your technique on an unwilling opponent. You may be standing on the shoulders of giants, but all that doesn't matter if you can't walk the walk. Because of that, many of the traditional judoka will shy away from any sort of branding, patches, or even rash guards.
In BJJ, lineage matters. As a result, BJJ has many custom kimono makers, and many BJJ players love to show off their girl scout badges all over their kimono, not to mention that they rep their team, because, remember, who your family is, or who you train with matters much more in BJJ than in Judo. You have to have a patch on all of your kimonos that displays all of these things, not to mention that you need to have a full color rash guard that reps your home gym, etc, etc.
This also ends up trickling down to tuition fees. In Judo, you can train with top players and it is the same tuition as with a McDojo sensei. In BJJ, if someone has a school that can show proper lineage, and the instructor has brought home medals from competitions, then you can expect to pay for that in the form of higher tuition.
>>
Boxing
Kick boxing
Muay Thai
Bjj
Judo

Avoid anything like Kung fu, krav maga, akido, or anything based on spirtualiity or philosphy or other woo bullshit. If the martial art doesn't include real full contact sparring it is bullshit.
>>
File: Karateka.png (70KB, 217x333px) Image search: [Google]
Karateka.png
70KB, 217x333px
Karate master race reporting in
>>
>>38882278
Shooting and parkour.
>>
>>38882278
Handgun-fu.
>>
>>38882309
Alright quick question for the boxers here.

I've been wanted to get into boxing for awhile, and started going to a gym. My friend lent me his Windy gloves for a week or so, and I've been looking for a pair myself, but I wanted pure boxing gloves, instead of the thai gloves.

My coach said to check out Title and Ringside, but really just any around $70 will do.

Anyone know any good brands?
>>
>>38883859
Ringside is good. I bought a pair for 50 3 years ago and theyre still good
>>
>>38883035
neat
>>
>>38882327
Is it wrong that I switch my footing sometimes?
Just feels right at some points.
>>
>>38882309
most useful street fight technique is kicking the other guy in the balls
>>
>>38883893
Oh nice, do you know which model you got?

Looking around on Amazon right now actually.

These caught my eye.
https://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Flash-Sparring-Gloves-16-Ounce/dp/B00NNZWKA2/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports-and-fitness&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1475086607&sr=1-5&keywords=ringside%2Bboxing%2Bgloves&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&th=1&psc=1
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.