[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here do jiu-jitsu or belong to a martial art gym?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Does anyone here do jiu-jitsu or belong to a martial art gym?

Im a socially awkward NEET like you all. I've been doing bjj for a year now and Im starting to feel like I don't belong there. I never speak to anyone or have conversations. Sometimes people make small talk with me but it doesn't go anywhere. When were sitting on the mats waiting for class to start everyone is sitting in a big circle chatting and I'm sorta sitting off the side not engaging in the conversation. I feel like the head coach at the gym doesn't like me because of that. I also don't really participate in anything with jiu-jitsu. I haven't competed yet. I'm usually the last person to get paired up with someone also. Sometimes I think some of the other students don't like me. I swear I can feel the odd person starring at me sometimes. I do believe that my eyes tell a story. I don't have a normal face like other people. I believe the impression I give people is being nervous, unsure of myself, and not confident, which in return makes me less confident that I'm so not confident. Can anyone relate?
>>
>>38867556
> legit autism

don't sweat it man. BJJ is kind of a social thing, so I can understand why you get writd looks for being a loner.
Just do your best to chat and make an effort to not be the weird outcast. Not like you have to be friends with any of the people there
>>
File: belikesasuke.png (251KB, 728x816px) Image search: [Google]
belikesasuke.png
251KB, 728x816px
>>38867556

Are you Sasuke? Don't worry Sasuke-kun, ''friends'' are a liability and a weakness. Keep training to be the best, and discard your humanity.
>>
>>38867659
nah.

Sometimes I don't think I'm socially awkward at all. I think I'm socially awkward because I literally don't know how to reply to questions or how to keep a conversation interesting. I also don't really have a personality. If I knew how to reply without sounding like a weird faggot I wouldn't have a problem talking to people.

I observe the way people interact. They'll ask a question and the other person will reply with a joke or something. When people say to me "hey anon, what's up?" my response is "hey, not to much, you?" and then they proceed to say something like "just doing x y and x" and then I freeze up and don't know how to maintain the conversation I'm engaged in. IDK. I missed the social development skill tree when I was growing up.
>>
>>38867754
Same thing happened to me op, ended up stopping bjj/mma because of it so be aware that it can happen.

It's fucking shit going to a place for that long and not making any meaningful connections.

Group things are the worst I don't know where to look, what to say and I catch people looking at me and look away nervously because I must have a genuine look of autism on my face.
>>
>>38867940
oh jesus this is me.

I'm 23. I've been waiting to do BJJ since I was like 16 years old but there was no way in hell I had the confidence to go when I was that age. I joined last year at 22 because I started realizing how much time I've wasted and how I never played sports as a youth. I truly want to get good at something so I can at least say when I'm 30 years old that I'm good at BJJ and have a purple belt or something.

But this social thing is hard. It's hard being "that guy" at the gym. And I am surely "that guy". I can't see myself ever growing a personality or learning how to socialize. I just think that socializing is something you develop during your youth and once your personality is fully formed it's like trying to teach an old dog new tricks.
>>
>>38867940
how long did you do mma and bjj?

what exactly made you want to quit? was it anybody in particular? do you at least consider yourself a certified ass kicker or are you kinda at that place where you learned technique but never quite got it down so it became natural to you?
>>
Why don't you compete then, OP? Take the first step and start talking to people. Just talk about jiu-jitsu or how you're having a hard time learning a move. Talk to your head coach and say you wanna compete. Ask for advice.
>>
>>38868030
I can barely take care of myself. If I commit to things that far in advanced it brings me anxiety. If the tournaments were in town, that would make it a whole lot easier. Sadly, all the tournaments are literally in far off towns with a minimum 3 hour drive. The last thing I want to do is sign up and tell everyone I'm doing a tournament, and then I back out because I'm a pussy. Also, I have anxiety, and even wrestling while other people are watching me in class makes me uncomfortable.

idk. maybe I'm just not meant to do anything and I should give up at life. sometimes I wonder that.
>>
>>38868056
You gotta leave your comfort zone, OP. If you wanna change as you make it seem you need to take the first step.
Just don't think about it and do it. Talk to someone.
>>
>>38867959
It's good that you realised and are trying to make a change that's half the battle just trying..

Maybe try not to put pressure on yourself though because otherwise when you don't hit the mark you'll just use it as ammunition to feel bad about....just try and enjoy it day to day and not think about the bigger picture.

At least that's the advice that would help me if I could actually do that :(

And I know what you mean bro....

I feel like I'm fucking pretending most of the time in order to have conversations with people but because I'm burning up inside the conversation isn't natural and I'm sure people pick up on that :(

>>38868015
About 8 months.... the worst thing is I have natural athletic ability and could have been decent if somebody just invested some time :(

Same with striking, I've recently moved to a new area and started boxing at a local club and last week I spared for the first time in about 2 years, afterwards the coach said I had a really nice style and it looks like I've been boxing a lot longer than I have but I'm due to go tonight and I just can't face going again :(

It's not due to anybody it'd myself it just becomes a fucking chore to speak to people and it ruins any fun you might have which is really sad so in the end your like why am I putting myself through this.
>>
>>38868316
Keep going you fag, confront your fears, i know it sucks, believe me, but if you keep running to your pathetic comfort zone you'll never improve, fucking faggot, just do it
>>
>>38868546

It's not that I don't try retard it's that I try all the time and get no benefit from it

After a while all that effort for such little reward takes it out of you.

I understand getting out of your comfort zone and I do that all the time it's just sometimes I don't have the energy to fake it.
>>
>>38868618
Then you should ask yourself if thats what you really want, because if you get no rewarding sensations when you try, even if you fail, maybe you are just forcing yourself to do something that is supossed to be the normal thing, but you reaaly dont want.
>>
>>38868667
Maybe man I'm not sure anymore..... the thing is I don't get the sensations I'm supposed to get from anything

Even relationships like with my daughter, I look at other people and how your supposed to feel but I just don't like them, or anything at all in fact.

What should I do about that?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.