[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I cut or bulk first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: pepe2.jpg (115KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pepe2.jpg
115KB, 640x640px
I've read to sticky, but in regards to getting started should I be cutting and then bulking? I'm not fat really (although you fags would probably think so). I'm 6' and 172-176lbs, it fluctuates day to day. Should I be cutting to get rid of fat and then begin bulking?
>>
I'd cut first just so you don't get discouraged bulking as you'd just look fat for a while
>>
At that height/weight, you're within a healthy bmi, so you don't need to cut.

I'd say maintain your current calories, swapping some of the fats/carbs you currently eat for protein, and start lifting hard.

When you start to stall on your lifts if a few months, start eating more.
>>
Cutting is for tryhard faggots
>>
File: 1472783225865.jpg (571KB, 1920x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472783225865.jpg
571KB, 1920x720px
>>38846619
don't worry about cutting or bulking starting off. just focus on making the gym a habit. you'll know yourself after whether you'd prefer to look cut or to go for size. speaking from experience don't eat junk to bulk, loads of fat isnt worth the gains.
>>
>>38846782

great post

also, OP: you don't need to weigh yourself often. it's not really that useful. maybe once a month as a tangential indicator of progress for your own conscience.
>>
>>38846619
Is dat pepe natty?
>>
>>38846637
>>38846696
>>38846782
What should my goal be for calories then? Just maintaining weight or gaining weight? Thanks guys.
>>
>>38846885
Just try to eat food that is "healthy". Try to reach your protein requirements and eat as much as you usually would. If you don't care about short term goals and just want to get in shape, you don't need to get particular on your diet. If you're looking to get shredded or pull as much weight as possible, it's a whole different story, even if you're just a beginner.
>>
File: 1468399227766.gif (1019KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1468399227766.gif
1019KB, 500x373px
>>38846782
>>38846800
Different anon but I'm 6'0 too. After reading the sticky I dieted down to 150lbs from 190lbs and don't know what to do. I'm still not low bf% and could probably lose another 10 or 15lbs... but I feel like 150lbs is already fairly light for my height, so maybe lean bulking over winter would make more sense so I don't look like I a skeleton. But I don't know what surplus to eat, +500 cal/day sounds like a lot of fat. And what muscle mass gain can I realistically expect (assuming noob gains no gear) ? I've seen estimates all over the place and it's very confusing when I'm trying to plan what to do and eat for the next 6 months, so I can set realistic goals to check whether I'm doing it right month to month. Planning a cut was comparatively way easier after learning how to count calories and taking a few weeks to adjust to lower intake.
>>
>>38847010
My plan after lifting for 5 months on maintenance is to cut until I hit 15% body fat, eat maintenance for 3-4 months, then cut until 12% body fat.

Then start clean bulking (200-300 cal surplus) from 12% -> 15%, cut back to 12% and so on for as long as possible.

YMMV, know how much you weigh and what your body fat is sitting at constantly so you can make informed decisions. There's likely no such thing as a one size fits all choice.
>>
>>38847010
300 calories surplus should be enough. If you don't or stop seeing gains bump it up. You should expect about 8-12lbs gain in muscle provided you give your body enough nutrition, stimulus and rest.
>>
u go to ur weight u want and then eat at maintenence
trust me cut bulk is faster but u feel like shit if u gain fat on a bulk and lose self esteem
also ur clothes will fit like shit
eat at normal calories and lose fat gain muscle slowly at the same time
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.