[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 39

File: 1474469785935s.jpg (4KB, 125x103px) Image search: [Google]
1474469785935s.jpg
4KB, 125x103px
Just wondering, when it becomes okay to wear a tank or wife beater to the gym. So far I've only been wearing t shirts and hoodies. But during ohp or bench I wish I had a sleeveless shirt.
>>
>>38808105
kind of never if u dont want to radiate the "IM A HUGE JERK" vibe
>>
>>38808105
Where it whenever you want, don't fall for any memes. Honestly no one gives a fuck about what you do at the gym and anyone who does is prob a faggot anyways.
>>
how much would doing 3x5 with 8kg added of ring dips equal to fixed parallel bar normal dips? There is no option for ring dips in symmetricstrength.com
>>
File: SM.jpg (65KB, 432x768px) Image search: [Google]
SM.jpg
65KB, 432x768px
A-Am I getting stretchmarks? I just noticed these on both shoulders.

Should I slow down?
>>
>>38808414
looks like a scratch
>>
File: 1445490945008.jpg (27KB, 550x498px) Image search: [Google]
1445490945008.jpg
27KB, 550x498px
>>38808105
I began SS today but I couldn't fill an hour of exercise with only 5 exercises, which seemed counterproductive. I feel like the breaks that I take between sets are normal (around a 30-60s). I even did 5x5 instead of 3x5 since I wanted to get acquainted with the movements instead of a oneway trip to disc slip city. I just hopped on a treadmill to do some cardio now in the time I had left but I felt like I could have done more actual lifts.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Or is it ok to add exercises that train muscles that haven't been strained that much (e.g. calves)? I know the sticky discourages it but it feels like a waste to leave the gym after 40 minutes while you're still hyped and energetic
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-22-12-05-10.png (48KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-22-12-05-10.png
48KB, 480x800px
Wich 2 day Split routine is better
Push/pull
upper/lower
Torso/legs and arms
http://exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html
Pic related
>>
File: 1427868003840.jpg (236KB, 1061x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1427868003840.jpg
236KB, 1061x1000px
>>38808105

What routine should I go with for aesthetics. I don't give a fuck about being strong, just looking good.
>>
>>38808520
I guess you know the optimal time to spend at the gym then?
>>
>>38808352
I don't know what would equal what, but if you want to do rings do rings. A dip would be a dip as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>38808618
4-6 reps is best for natty aesthetics. Just look at the routines from the sticky, make your own variation out of them, squat three times a week with raising the weight slower than you could to avoid trex
>>
>>38808687
I just wanted to analyze my symmetric strenght, also ring dips are way harder than fixed parallel dips, so I just wondered how much more would I lift on those if I do 3x5 with 8kg on rings.
>>
>>38808716
I get what you are saying, but you are asking a question that nobody could answer unless they do both often. It would be easier to just switch to reg dips for a workout and see where you are at.
>>
>>38808657
Not saying I do but it just seems wrong to leave the gym while I have strength/energy left. How much time do you spend on your average lifting session anon? I don't really have any sense for what is normal
>>
Is it good to exercise whenever you can or just on schedule? I'm unemployed so I have a lot of free time, but idk if it will be harmful to exercise all the time.

>>38808714
What does trex means?
>>
File: 1471387536385.jpg (1MB, 5168x2907px) Image search: [Google]
1471387536385.jpg
1MB, 5168x2907px
>>38808746
SS victim. nigger
>>
>>38808746
I'm not >>38808714, but I assume it's big body, tiny arms.
>>
File: catdamnit.jpg (9KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
catdamnit.jpg
9KB, 280x210px
I'm a weakass womanlet that can't progress because I have a shit grip.

Tried to do deadlifts today but my hands and arms couldn't hold the barbell.

How can I fix this? Is there anyway to fix this? I want to do RDL and Goblet Squats without using the smith machine but my hands can't hold lots of weight for a long time.

Sorry about my english.
>>
Tfw home gym master race and can wear whatever the fuck I want
>>
>>38808774
get grips or chalk
>>
>>38808774
Do farmers walks, I guess. Build your grip strength.
>>
>>38808774
use mixed grip: one hand palm facing you, one hand palm in the other direction

Or use less weight

Or use chalk

Or use gloves
>>
>>38808520
Wait till the weight actually gets heavy and your problem will go away.
>>
>>38808774
Just take the barbell without weight/with very little weight and try to hold it as long as possible (in an overhand grip), repeat a couple of times until theres some decent soreness. Or hang from a pull up bar.
>>
>>38808735
It's way more important to stick to a routine and progress than worry about your time spent at the gym. Take the time needed to hit your weight and rep range each time.

Personally I would say 45min to an 1hr, but each person has different goals, and believes there are different ways to reach those goals. I do one heavy compound (30-45min), and 2-3 accessory exercises after (15min).
>>
Just do exercises that test your grip like >>38808804 and then chip-ups or pull ups should help
>>
Hey /fit/!

I have two running related questions and there are no running thread at the moment.

First: how do you run for an hour without peeing in the middle? I might drink too much before I run (300ml of coffee and 100mL of milk, I run one hour after my breakfast) But heck I have to stop at least once to pee if I run for an hour. And I can barely hold myself when I run for only 40 minutes. How do you guys do it?

Second question is about layers of clothes when running. It's getting colder in the morning. With only a shirt I'm freezing for the first 10 minutes, but if I add a zip vest then by the end of the session I'm way to hot. How do you master the art of layering?
>>
>>38808885
1. For me, coffee is a pretty strong diuretic, maybe don't drink it before a run to see if anything changes. I usually just hold it in honestly.
2. Use something like a breathable longsleeve and a shirt. You should be freezing for the first few minutes, it's pretty normal. Also look at what kind of pants you wear, if it's something cotton based then no wonder you're overheating.
>>
File: image.jpg (343KB, 1707x1189px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
343KB, 1707x1189px
starting greyskull; need accessory exercises

A: Bench 3x5; Curls 2x10-12; Squat 3x5; Dips 2xfailure
B: Press 3x5; Chin-up 2x6-8; Deadlift 1x5

do dips belong on A; what accessory can i add to B to keep the routine symmetrical?
>>
>>38808949
I use synthetic loose shorts for pants, so no problem from there.

And I'll try for the coffee, though that mean I won't benefit from caffeine during the run.

Thanks!
>>
Can you get visible abs with diet and cardio alone? And ab exercises ofc
>>
>>38809011
>diet, cardio, and ab exercises
What does that even mean? You literally listed everything. You can do it with diet alone, and IMO the ab exercises are unnecessary if you are doing compounds.
>>
Is my mates minimalist routine balanced? Will he become a T Rex?

AxAxAxx

Weighted Pull ups
Weighted dips
Squats

Can't recall his rep scheme but assume it's the standard 3x10 each exercise. Please respond. There might still be time to save him
>>
>>38809011
Depends on your musculature level. If you're Auschwitz mode, no. You need at least a basic muscle foundation. Then, with a low body fat (cardio isn't mandatory. Though it helps greatly, all that matter is the caloric deficit in the end), you should get some "ottermode" abs (between 8~12%).
>>
What kind of body weight exercises should I be doing on my cardio days? I don't know many kinds of exercises besides crunches, is there anything better for abs?
>>
File: Heath_Ledger_Speedos_1.jpg (114KB, 490x700px) Image search: [Google]
Heath_Ledger_Speedos_1.jpg
114KB, 490x700px
How do I achieve this body? Do I even need to lift?
>>
>>38809122
How about no body weight exercises.
>>
>>38809142
Depends on your genetics, but probably not.
>>
>>38809070
he'll end up with bad knees if he doesn't work hammies properly too (ie deadlift)
he might need to do overhead work to stop delts laggin and if he wants healthy shoulders he should do a row as well (opposing motion to bench) also makes that upper mid back and rear delts joocy
i'd chuck in arm isos too just to make sure they don't lag
>>
>>38808105
are SARMS bs?
>>
>>38809159
A squat hits hamstrings very well, might want to check your form
>>
File: dieta 3dni.jpg (112KB, 698x616px) Image search: [Google]
dieta 3dni.jpg
112KB, 698x616px
Ive just moved to Holland for a job. Im loading trucks with tires for 40hours a week which is killing my back, biceps and forearms. 180cm/80kg/24years
How much peanut butter can I eat before i die?
>>
>>38809153
Thanks
>>
>>38809142
Bumping for more answers
>>
>>38809206
Never going to kill you

IIFYM master race
>>
>>38809260
Im looking to improve my diet with
oats
kwark or greek yogurt
tomatoes/broccoli
veggies in general
eggs
for the remaining 4 days. No twaróg or kiełbasa is making my proton intake shit. At least weed is cheap and easily obtainable.
>>
>>38809197
"Hamstrings activation during the squat has been shown to be only 27% of maximal voluntary isometric contraction. This led the author of the study to conclude, “Thus the squat is not an optimal exercise for training the hamstrings.”

Okay, so maybe you don’t put much stock in muscle activation and want to put forth the argument that hypertrophy is all that matters. Fair enough. A study by Weiss et al provides direct evidence that squats don’t do much for hamstrings muscle growth. Subjects performed four sets of squats to approximately parallel depth using either a low, medium, or high rep range. Training was carried out 3 days a week for 7 weeks. At the end of the study, results showed significant increases in hypertrophy of the quads for all conditions studied. The hammies: no changes from baseline seen in any of the conditions.

Bottom line: If you want to maximize hamstrings development, you need to incorporate single-joint exercises that directly target the musculature into your routine. Both exercises originating at the hip joint (SLDL, good morning, etc) and exercises originating at the knee (leg curls) are viable choices. Ideally, both types of movements should be combined to optimize growth of the muscle complex."

source:
http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/are-squats-all-you-need-to-maximize-hamstrings-development/
>>
>>38809342
That study doesn't seem to include low bar though. They do hit your hamstrings, just not as much as you could.

Same for deadlifts though too. Even good mornings and leg curls aren't the best.

If you want a bigger arse and hamstrings then you do bb hip thrusts and glute bridges. I think there's only one exercise above these two for ham development but I forget what it is.
>>
Wich 2 days Split routine is better for a dumbbells only routine
>push/pull
>upper/lower
>Torso/legs e arms
I was thinking of domeBing like

>ABXABX and so on
And also im going to start talking creatine will it affect my abs on the long term nas should i take it everyday or only on working out days
>>
>>38809376
yeah i was assuming most people squat high bar
yeah glute bridges / hip thrusts are pretty top tier but in terms of minimalistic workouts i think deads are better just because they work posterior chain + traps + core +forearms tonnes
>>
>>38809413
For sure. I'm just saying that in the chance you get one workout to hit a muscle group that you should do hip thrusts or glute bridges over something else. Especially considering he's doing nothing or very little for his backside.

Doesn't effect me since I do deads and cleans a day before squats and glute bridges but yeah.
>>
File: back snap gorilla.png (544KB, 800x821px) Image search: [Google]
back snap gorilla.png
544KB, 800x821px
What are back snaps? I see the back snap gorilla image all the time, but I have no idea what it means. Do we want back snaps?

Pic related
>>
>>38808105
Whenever you want. Why do you care what other people you don't know think about you?
>>
>>38808774
I can help you work on your grip with my bar.
>>
>>38808105

Whenever you want. You're an adult and you can make decisions for yourself famalam.
>>
Hey /fit/

I didn't lose any weight the last two weeks despite an obsessively measured 800 cal deficit but two of my lifts progressed. Could this mean anything?
>>
File: 1474395802014.jpg (59KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
1474395802014.jpg
59KB, 437x437px
Two questions

I'm poor but my friends got me enough money for some shoes, I jog and also lift (but just started some months ago). There aren't stores that sell lifting shoes in my shithole country.

Should I just buy normal Nikes for running and chucks for lifting? Which one would be a priority?

Also, I'm trying to lose weight, but it's hard for me to get enough protein, is whey protein a good investment in this case?
>>
>>38809847
chucks are a good choice for novice lifting, though basically everywhere I'm convinced that Nike is a shit brand based only on marketing.
>>
Highest paying labor job?

Seems all i'm good for is slave work and using my body for money. About to drop out of college because I'm just to stupid for it and am wasting my time and money on it. Have always known I wasn't meant for college since early highschool but my parents are the typical "only way to succeed is education" and forced me into it. I would love to get an education but I really just am not meant for it. They don't understand that I just don't have the IQ for it. I struggle in everything even when i'm studying almost all day everyday and all the other kids just fly by with no effort and go partying almost every night.

Have no friends obviously or anyone to talk about it with...please help
>>
>>38809865
I said nikes as an example, I guess running shoes is more accurate.
Now that I think about it I got some chucks in my closet I never used because they were too tight, will try to loose them up.

Which kind of running shoe is the best? I have no idea about shoes and the styles and whatever, which kind of running shoe is the best kind?
>>
>>38808735
Once you start lifting heavier your rest periods will be about 3 minutes.

I spend a couple of hours in the gym though since I like to fuck about with accessories
>>
File: dieta 4dni.jpg (74KB, 728x401px) Image search: [Google]
dieta 4dni.jpg
74KB, 728x401px
>>38809206
>>38809289
Alright, I've got this for thursdays-sundays. Am I lacking something obvious?
>>
>>38809943
running shoes is entirely dependent on your type of foot. Obviously you want something with some cushion for your feet, but it also should fit you well.

For example, I use new balance because I've got wide-as-fuck feet.
>>
>>38809927
Trades. I was in the same situation as you last year. Starting trade school next year.
>>
>>38809376
Low bar doesn't have a massive difference in activation of hamstrings otherwise you'd see competition powerlifters with strong deadlifts only low bar squatting,which isn't the case
>>
Whats a good way to relieve DOMS on quads? My work involves me running around back and forth and I don't think I can do it with how much sore it is.
>>
>>38809927
Get into HVAC mate
>>
>>38810013
Time. Doms will only affect you for a couple of weeks at most

HMB also stops it too
>>
>>38808105

I see everywhere that reaching 1/2/3/4 plates is a good mark for ending begginer stage into intermediate.
But is it 1RM? or 1/2/3/4 plates for X (probably 5) reps?
>>
>>38809979

Which trade are you going into? I was looking into welding or underwater welding they seem to pay a lot and I think will continue to be in high demand because technology and machinery will continue to rise. How hard would that be to learn for someone that's never done any of that?

Also, I managed to convince my parents to let me take a year off of school last year so I just worked in a warehouse and was one of the top 5 employees there until I left. I know I have the work ethic and dedication to succeed in something but I have no brains.

>>38810026

I will look into that right now I know nothing about it. Thanks for replying
>>
>>38810092
i think you replied to the wrong guy
>>
>>38808105
What do I put on the TDEE calculator on exercise ?
I lift 3x week and heard you should put sedentary but I also do 3x week box and I feel I burn a lot of kcals there so I got no clue and I don't want to go over a 500 deficit
>>
>>38810143
Fug, let me try again.
>>
>>38808105
When I do bicep/tricep accessories I feel like I can go on forever. My workouts last forever. When I do my biceps and triceps because they never get tired. I can do endless sets at high weights. How do I make my workouts shorter? Going heavier on curls hurts my wrists. Should I feel fatigued?
>>
>>38810013
bodyweight squats
serious answer, at first youll be only to descend a few inches and need to hold onto something so you dont fall back, but after 10-20 "reps" you should be able to do them full rom without any pain
>>
>>38810149
exercise calculators aren't accurate. If you're sure that you burn a lot, eat at 600 over your sedentary TDEE. If you gain at a rate of 1lb/week after two weeks, great. If not, add more calories.
>>
>>38810188
I want to lose though

I'm 177cm and 70kg and I'm calculating a TDEE of 2500 to maintain so eating at 2k
>>
Im currently doing only pullups and rows on pull day and i would like to add one more exercise but which one?
Cant do deadlifts because of gym policy and gym is cheap and close by so i wont go to another one.
>>
>>38810199
Then don't use an exercise calculator, as you want to be losing even when you're not doing anything.
>>
Do vacuums help in reducing waist size or is this bioscience?
>>
>>38810177
Try doing sets of endless reps instead
>>
>>38810204
Biceps
>>
>>38810204
>pull day
found your problem
>>
File: knee.jpg (279KB, 2250x1470px) Image search: [Google]
knee.jpg
279KB, 2250x1470px
Everytime I squat my knees clunk. No matter if with or without weight. Form is good. This makes squatting really uncomfortable and kills the fun.

What is this and how can i fix it?
>>
>>38810238
Why? Won't I end up just doing the same amount of work and taking the same amount of time?
>>
is smoked salmon good?
heard that the process, smoking, causes/makes it cancerous(is is true like processed meat or a meme)
>>
A lot of dieters and fitness personalities recommend IF on a cut. However I've also read that not eating every few hours puts your body into a catabolic state where it assumes it's starving, and it starts eating your protein and muscle mass. Is that true? And if so why the fuck would you do IF?
>>
>>38810605
just eat at a deficit

why need to meme it out to achieve same results?
>>
>>38808618
bro split my friend
>>
>>38810641
I'm not doing IF because I don't see the point. I just am curious whether people who recommend it are ignoring that it can cause catabolism, or if catabolism is greatly exaggerated by the "eat every few hours" crowd.
>>
I think I pulled a muscle on the right side of my waist. It's uncomfortable every time I move a certain way.

Is this an acceptable excuse to not run today or am I pussing out too easy?
>>
Hey my main mans.

I was wondering if squatting is easier on the knees than legpressing.
On legpress right now i can't feel the quads or the hamstrings but my knees hurt like hell from years of being a fatty, so i can't raise the weight.

Any tips?
>>
So, I hit a hard spot where I can't go below 70 kg, ideal weight is 64
I already cut everything unhealthy from my diet and run 39 minutes a day
What should I do to lose those 6kg?
>>
>>38810177
Do more reps per set dingus, you dont get tired because you are not putting any intensity into it.
>>
File: progress.jpg (68KB, 860x575px) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
68KB, 860x575px
Is it normal that SL 5x5 can take up to 2 hours?

My workouts got longer and longer.
Breakdown:
Squat: 35 minutes
warmup sets: 10 minutes (includes changing safeties, getting a bar etc.)
5 sets: 25 minutes (I have to pause 4:30+ so that I can do all reps)

Bench: 30 minutes
warmup: 10 minutes
5 sets: 20 minutes

Row: 30 minutes
warmup: 10 minutes
5 sets: 20 minutes

Dips 5xF
20 minutes

With everyone always proclaiming loudly 'if your workout takes longer than 45 minutes, you're doing it wrong' I became a little doubtful if what I do is right.

Also, when can I expect to fail on my progressive overloading on Squat and DL?
>>
>>38810865
Read the sticky
>>
>>38809197
Yeah but it still hits the quads harder
>>
>>38808520

Dont worry, soon enough youll be complaining that they take too long like >>38810890
>>
>>38808105
What are "the big 5"?
>>
>>38811058
Squat
Bench
Dead
Snatch
Clean n Jerk
>>
Are weighted dips a suitable replacement for bench press? I have no access to bench press.
>>
File: 1448881012217.jpg (44KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1448881012217.jpg
44KB, 500x447px
>>38811053
>>38808812
>>38808827
>>38809949
Thanks lads, that makes sense. I guess I got too excited throwing around pl8s for the first time in my life
>>
File: tumblr_lv6vbxLOBj1r0vqjoo1_400.jpg (65KB, 400x339px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lv6vbxLOBj1r0vqjoo1_400.jpg
65KB, 400x339px
>>38811085
>Squat
I can do this one

>Bench
I don't have a bench to work with this one and I think I may not know what to do.

>Dead
no idea

>Snatch
Idk what is this

>Clean n Jerk
Idk what is this
>>
>>38810882
If I go too heavy, my wrists start to hurt. If I go too light, I can do endless reps without feeling anything. I am unable to find that sweet spot. Is my form just bad, how many sets/reps should I be doing per week(currently on PHAT)?
>>
>>38811188
I highly suggest reading the sticky before you're chased out of this thread.
>>
>>38811199
Define "too heavy" and "too light"
>>
>>38811215
The worst thing is that I have, but I forgot everything within the same day/week
>>
>>38811253
then read it again faggot
>>
How bad is chipotle for dieting?
I just got hired and im looking to start going to the gym.
>>
>>38810890

If you REALLY need those 4:30+min of rest between sets, maybe you are not eating properly,

Chances are you are not eating enough protein or carbs. And funny enough your bodyweight gain has stalled recently, making it even more likely.

As for when will it stop working, I think you are still a long way if you keep eating and sleeping enough (+8 hours of good sleep, more if you tend to sleep like shit).
>>
>>38810890
Also, maybe for the bench and specially row you don't need that much warmup. Think that your body is pretty hot already from the squats + bench. But the only person that can say if it is enough warmup or not it's you. My advise is maybe trying to make it a bit shorter and see what happens.
>>
>>38811278
don't insult me please
>>
>>38811281
ask double meat, low/no cheese, no/low sauce, and you get a decent-ish meal
>>
>>38811325
Hate cheese. Is pico ok?
I ussualy get beef white rice and pinto
>>
>>38808774

Use straps on deads, fuck the mixed grip meme aka eventually tear your bicep meme. Supplement forearm strength with 5 sets of farmers walks.
>>
>>38811188
you don't need clean n jerk, and while it is super good for general strength, i HIGHLY advise to avoid it if you don't have a CAPABLE coach.

If you are starting out, focus on Squat, Bench, Deadlift, OverHead Press (or The Press, or Military Press) and Bent Over Rows.

You can find lots of videos on how to do them on youtube. Eventhough some guys in /fit/ find him cringey (he is a bit though), i highly suggest the videos "How to" of Alan Thrall. I will post some of them here.

Watch them, try the lifts, watch them again, try them again, and repeat until you notice you are doing them safely and naturally. Like that you will avoid injury and maximize your gainz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wol7Hko8RhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IGeJEXpF4
>>
Should I dumbbell OHP with the same form I'd use to barbell OHP?
>>
File: 1474172375146.gif (2MB, 320x218px) Image search: [Google]
1474172375146.gif
2MB, 320x218px
Please help! I'm going to squat 70kg 5x5 tomorrow (hopefully) and I want to know what my warmup should look like.

Also, going to OHP 30kg 5x5 (hopefully) and I'm not sure what my warmup should look like, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>38811342
yes, pico is basically tomato onion lemon (if they are not putting anything too strange in it, maybe they are using lots of oil though but you will know better if you work there than me)

>>38811393
No, it's pretty different. The essence is the same (lifting heavy shit above your head), but the execution is completely different because you have something that gets in the way of a vertical bar path, something called "chin".

Watch the video about OHP i linked in here:
>>38811392
>>
>>38811402
10x0% of working weight (aka empty bar)
8x20%
6x40%
4x60%
2x80%
5x5x100%
>>
>>38811392
Thank you
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 640x1136px
Do i have pecs or moobs behind my pepperonis
>>
>>38811321
then don't complain about shit that is clearly outlined in the sticky
>>
>>38811402
not sure if troll or serous. but here's your answer

5x20
5x20
5x32.5
3x45
2x57.5
working set: ?x5x70

download the app 'warmup' if you have android, so you can calculate it yourself. it uses the SS warmup pattern
>>
>>38811444
I didn't though.
>>
>>38811402
not shilling but this is the one I was talking about.
literally the only one which doesn't have bugs and can use microplates

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sportlerprodukte.warmupsetcalculator
>>
>>38811402
warming up is something entirely personal. But if you are just starting out i will link some videos of different guys that do different things.

>>38811432
is a really good way of refreshing the technique of the lift before the main sets, specially good for newbies (and seeing yout lifts you would fall in this category)

Also, how are you with your mobility? If you feel like your form is still lacking, or that during the lifts (specially squats and deadlifts) your body is really tight: i highly advice some dynamic mobility warmup (NOT static stretching, this could cause injury)

I link a video of Matt Ogus of A TON of dynamic warmups. You DON'T and SHOULDN'T do all of them, just the ones targeting the areas you feel tighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBbSV-ZndRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoSqYMaOOAI

Other ideas of warmups:

Again, you will hear tons of different qualified (and others not so qualified) people with different warmup philosofies, just pick the one that you feel the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGxsmJ6J2Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENxC3bgAEs
>>
>>38811422
That's a very good video for form for barbell OHP, but I was more looking for something along those lines, but for dumbbell OHP.
>>
>>38811555
Watch both of these guys for mobility and form videos, people disagree with some of the things they say on programming and nutrition, but they are capable professionals when it comes to form and muscle anatomy so these videos are gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEwKCR5JCog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1t7X2yq4M
>>
>>38811438
Moob with a little muscul
>>
Within in a two day time span I ate enough calories to gain 0.5 kgs. Now I know that calories in calories out is a thing, but I still want to ask is it really possible for me to gain 0.5 kilos in just two days or does the body just say fuck it and won't even bother taking in all the calories when there's such a large surplus of food within such a short time span?
>>
Was doing body weight workouts while getting back in shape to try hold on to as much muscle as possible. Recently switched to weights which is going fine except I get cripplingly bad headaches after that don't go away for hours. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Got a doctors appointment in two weeks and I will damn sure ask him about it, but I don't want to go to stroke city in the meantime.
>>
>>38811657
stop asap
do bodyweight until you see the doctor, that is not normal. And maybe you are lifing with too much intensity? (too much weight)
>>
>>38811630

By no means an expert, but the body is only like 70% efficient. You will shit out calories (every notice how you get nasty greasy shits after eating nasty greasy food).
>>
>>38811630
yes it is possible to gain that much, even more. I did.
the body will take all it can. it does that to survive. there might be no food for two weeks.

also note that there are usually small fluctations from day to day. so it could actually only be 0.3 kgs or 0.2, and you are holding some food back in your digestive system even though you already evacuated
>>
>>38809597
THANK YOU BACK-SNAP GORILLA
>>
>>38811603
fugg
>>
>>38809597
Thank you back-snap gorilla
>>
>>38811250
ie. For bicep curls
Too heavy = 35 lbs+
Too light = 30lbs-
There are no 32.5 lb dumbbells at my gym.
TY for the help.
>>
>>38810425
bump
>>
I have these really dark spots in the socket of my eyes which makes it look like i have been punched in the eyes multiple times.
Is there any way to fix this?
>>
I checked the sticky but the sticky does not have anything about Fat Burners.

Reason I ask is:

At my gym they make smoothies and protein shakes and they have fat burners added to some of them. I read that they are good as a SUPPLEMENT.

How do you use this supplement and has any anon used it in the past? thanks just curious about this and never had an answer in the past
>>
>>38811710
>>38811712
Thanks
>>
Can I just stick to flat bench to get a decent looking chest?
>>
>>38811794
If 35 is too heavy then 30 isn't too light. Put your back up against a wall (maybe even make sure your elbow touches the wall and doesn't move), then go do strict 4x12 curls - you'll def feel it. You're probably cheating with 30lb and using your shoulder.

>>38811839
'Fat burner' is a scam. At best, it's a laxative so you literally have diarrhea every time you eat carbs. Avoid it, learn self control.

>>38810425
What is knee clunk?
>>
>>38809826
could have gained muscle/water weight/measured at different times of the day/you're on too great of a deficit and your body's gone into starvation mode (probably broscience)
>>
>>38811890
>What is knee clunk?
clunk was the joint related term the dict said (not native speaker). i mean it makes "click" or "crack" like sound.
>>
>>38810890
what did you use to generate that graph? excel?
>>
Third world country here, some people are selling a whey protein for around 12 dollars, obviously it's a national brand, says it has 25g per scoop (obviously it could be less)

ON in my country is around 50 dollars so this looks like a good investment, but it might taste like shit.

I'm trying to lose weight and I'm tired of only eating chicken all day, so I'm really thinking about it.

Should I try it?
>>
File: 20160921_152109.jpg (376KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_152109.jpg
376KB, 1600x1200px
What would happen if I cut. I want to go ottermode. I'm
5' 10.5" and like 170 ibs. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>38811881
P-please respond
>>
File: 1460907231155.jpg (217KB, 1622x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1460907231155.jpg
217KB, 1622x1080px
what does it mean when it says in a program that i need to lift 3 sets of 10-12 but untill failure?
do i need to know that i wont be able to lift anymore once i get in that range?

Also what are some of the most nessecary supplements and foods to have when you work out 2 times a day (cardio in the morning and ~2hours of intense cardio and weights in the afternoon)

>inb4 le cardio is bad meme
>>
>>38811392
>i HIGHLY advise to avoid it if you don't have a CAPABLE coach

>doing power clean
>first time doing it
>coach doesn't give a shit
>watch others
>figured this shit out
>it's just deadlift right
>put dead weight on
>deadlift that shit
>curl it up the rest of the way
>holy shit this is hard
>do four more like this
>football coach runs over and stops me
>WTF are you doing
>spent the next 15 minuets doing it until my form was right

Fuck lazy coaches, on the other hand, I felt pretty god damn strong after that.
>>
>>38811924
That is natural to a point and unless it's causing pain, it's not something to worry about. If your form is right and it's just the sounds, keep going. If there is pain, then you are probably wearing thin your cartilage and should see a doctor.
>>
>>38811881
try pullups too
>>
>>38811881
Nope, you would be neglecting your upper chest.
>>
File: facelean.png (8KB, 424x402px) Image search: [Google]
facelean.png
8KB, 424x402px
>>38811996
>curling your deadlift weight
>>
>>38808105
Is it counterproductive to do cardio on the same day as lifting?
>>
Been using MFP for a couple of months now (1500 calories, 5'8 140lbs) but I checked my TDEE on a few websites and received much higher calorie intake numbers... What the fuck?

Where the fuck did I get 1500 and have I been starving myself? I'm trying to trace my steps as to why I world get this magic number but nothing is coming up.
>>
>>38812228
Did you mix up BMR and TDEE?
>>
File: 1471577562461.jpg (87KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1471577562461.jpg
87KB, 600x900px
>>38812107
it increases bloodflow and cell respiration, i think the cardio thing is just a meme, just look at how the millitary does it, running all the time and working out every day
>>
>>38812256
Possibly? I used the first site Google gave and ended up with 1625... The only other thing I can think of is I was "cutting" from 155 and read 1500 was a rule of thumb.
>>
>>38812107
I cycle 10 minutes too and from the gym. I find it's a good way to get the blood flowing and warm up.

I'm new to cycling and lifting and tried improving both but going for a long ride before/after a squat day affects my performance in both so I guess I'd recommend not overdoing it if you're a beginner.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160922-135834.jpg (582KB, 1440x1249px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160922-135834.jpg
582KB, 1440x1249px
>>38812321
Used the TDEE calculator in the sticky.. This doesn't seem right. Other calculators gave given me 1600 to 1900. What.
>>
File: 1474203045887.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1474203045887.png
98KB, 612x491px
What's better whey from Myprotein or Gold standard whey protein?
>>
>>38810078
1/2/3/4 is utterly arbitrary. A much better benchmark is when you stop progressing linearly.
>>
File: 1458743057553.png (78KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1458743057553.png
78KB, 657x527px
>>38812437
get your proteins from eating cum lole
>>
Joining my universities dragon boat team. Looks like a lot of fun and great excercise but can any anons with experience or knowledge in the sport tell me if I will develop severe muscle imbalances? Im mostly worried about how it will look visually, one side of my upper body compared to the other.
>>
>>38811321
>homophobe
>on /fit/
>not gonna make it
>>
File: 1463545884587.jpg (38KB, 599x346px) Image search: [Google]
1463545884587.jpg
38KB, 599x346px
>>38812513
Okey thank for your kind advice sir
>>
>>38808105
Wearing a wife beater anywhere is a huge dickhead move.

>>38808774
Get straps

>>38811993
You should be failing on the 10th to 12th rep of your final set.

>>38811393
No, look it up.

>>38811119
Put weight on your back and do pushups
>>
>>38812564
Weighted dips wouldn't be better? Chest dips I mean
>>
>>38811890
How many reps/sets/exercises are optimal for biceps and triceps hypertrophy? I can also curl the 40s forever, admittedly with shit form, despite the wrist pain. Am I doing it wrong if I feel it in my shoulders?
>>
I have a throat infection and am on anti biotics, cant eat but i am cutting is this gonna effect my gains if i still lift?
>>
>>38812437
https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
>>
I'm joining the military. I've decided to exclusively train pull ups only with progressive overload and do a shit ton of running. What kind of body can I expect ? Diet will be perfect .

Expectations: a body that looks good in clothes and decent topless, not skinny fat but not amazing either.

Give me the reality /fit/
>>
Elbow is hurt, will heal soon, what do i do 4 days a week until it heals?
>>
>>38811960
yes
>>
File: asdfsadf.webm (2MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
asdfsadf.webm
2MB, 720x1280px
I've been messing around with my squat form for a year now and no matter what I do my knees hurt. I never had problems with my knees until I started squatting and I've always done tons of physically active shit with zero knee problems ever.

I've read every common squat resource online and watched every squat video. I've probably spent hundreds of hours applying form cues from various resources to no avail.

I've deloaded several times, all the way back to warm up weight. No matter what I do, once I go past warm up weight, the pain slowly comes back in.

I've tried low, front and high bar squats. I'm only comfortable with high bar.

I've looked at a lot of different people's squats and looking at my own I don't see anything horribly wrong at least not wrong enough to cause knee pain every time?

The doc just says to not do what causes pain and that works of course but then I can't squat.

Form check I guess...
>>
>>38808105
I just take old t shirts and cut the sleeves off

I honestly dont give a shit about how i look at the gym and its just practical
>>
File: 1474265200467.jpg (99KB, 908x714px) Image search: [Google]
1474265200467.jpg
99KB, 908x714px
recovering social autist here

How to stop getting attached to any girl that gives me the time of day?

Should I just talk to more women?
Serious question.
>>
>>38811890
Right, but the question asked was how it is used? Additionally I looked around and it said it was herbs and extracts and stuff, nothing of laxative on carbs or anything. Is it alright if I ask you or any other anon to elaborate more on this?
>>
>>38812611
Thanks bro
>>
File: 1473792194375.jpg (39KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
1473792194375.jpg
39KB, 500x343px
>>38812766
Same bro, i picture myself getting married with two children with any girl that looks at me basically
kek
>>
>>38812744
Are you wearing a balaclava?
>>
File: 1474447155433.png (76KB, 662x413px) Image search: [Google]
1474447155433.png
76KB, 662x413px
>>38812811
It's pretty bad desu

Sure I've met some genuinely great women, but all it takes is a few conversations and I'm into them

I fucking hate it t.bh
>>
>>38812744
at what point are your knees getting gnarly?
>>
>>38812744
Avoid squats then. Go with leg press, lunges, deadlifts as your main leg exercise. No point in fucking up something for life to e-stat on here.
>>
>>38812825
it's just pantyhose cut off + a beanie
>>
>>38808618
hypertrophy, mostly, but also go as heavy as possible
>>
>>38812846
The next day my knees hurt. Not enough to prevent me from doing anything but it happens every time for a year no matter what form I use. And it's enough to worry.
>>
>>38812851
Lunges gave me similar pains but I didn't give them a fair shot so I may revisit them again. Limited to barbell and dumbbell work as I lift at home. Nothing seems to be nearly as effective as barbell work so it really sucks not being able to squat right.
>>
>>38812586
Yes, your biceps are not located in your shoulders. And I'd stop before that wrist pain gets worse - you're damaging your tendon and there'll come a point where it'll get so bad you won't be able to curl without a z-bar, regardless of the weight. I did that trying to show off to a friend with curls and it took a month to heal.
Also, 3 exercises 2x a week, sets of 3x12 works fine - even less if you do compounds that include biceps like rows or pullups.
>>
>>38812776
As in how do you take it? Same as any other pill or powder, put it in your mouth, mix it with water maybe and swallow. What a strange question.
>>
>>38808979
you don't need extra pressing (dips/incline/whatever), do flies and laterals instead.
>>
What kind of exercises can I do in place of squats/deadlifts? I'm probably retarded but I'm kind of scared of squatting and deadlifting because lolsnap. Does anything even come close to these kings of lifts?

Or should I just suck it up and do these lifts? In that case, how to avoid snap city?
>>
>>38813045
>flyes

Literally just a press but with a weird lever so you use less weight. Pretty pointless exercise in all honesty.
>>
>>38813062

start with really really low weights, like only the bar for squatting and the lowest plates you have on your gym that are big enough for deadlifting

also, watch youtube videos on form. I reccomend you Alan thrall for squatting more than any other i've seen so far (and i've seen tons), also take a look at his deadlift video. I will be linking them next.

Also, WORK ON YOUR MOBILITY. Sincirely, that and good form (plus you can't achieve good form with poor mobility) are what will prevent you from entering snapcity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IGeJEXpF4
>>
>>38811289
>>38811314
thx
>>
>>38813122
Thanks family I'll watch these videos and work on that mobility
>>
>>38813092
yeah it's almost as if it works chest without involving as much front delt and triceps, how wierd.
>>
>>38813062
>>38813122

Also, do not be afraid to try the lifts with low weight, just make sure to watch the videos first and note the most important stuff.

A lot of the mobility (mainly the one squatting) comes from squatting itself whether you believe it or not. Nothing is going to stretch your hamstrings like trying to squat ass to grass.

Just make sure to always do the exercises safely, and if you can't manage to do the next basic things, keep it minimum weight and keep working on your mobility:

Deadlift:
-Before the pull, your shoulders should be directly above the bar, with your arms totally extended
-You should be facing forward, aka popping your chest out, aka trying to bend the bar against your body

If you manage to do all that, and stick to low weight, (and are not retard) I think you have ~0% chance of snapping your shit.
IF YOU CANNOT DO ANY OF THOSE, do NOT increase the weight significantly until you can, those are essential for healthy exercises.

But again: watch the videos, that man knows far man of safe technique than 95%of this board
>>
>>38808806
I use hook grip cuz my forearm gains
>>
>>38813195

>Nothing is going to stretch your hamstrings like trying to squat ass to grass.

Actually hamstrings are shortened in an ATG squat, not stretched. You can actually squat ATG with shit hamstring extensibility.
>>
File: chest-anatomy.jpg (53KB, 700x452px) Image search: [Google]
chest-anatomy.jpg
53KB, 700x452px
>>38813092
>>38813184

Flyes are top tier isolation exercise for the chest. If you think about: What is the function of your chest? To push forward? Is that why they have a circular-ish (pic attached) form?

No, their main function is to be able to close your arms against each other (aka super strong hugs). The flyes reproduce quite well the whole movement pattern, granting to the chest the whole range of motion he can possibly do, and thus activating the highest possible number of muscle fibers.

The chest presses use the "stronger" part of that range of motion, and added to the triceps and front delts, are able to produce more force than flying exercise (mainly because at the end of the fly you are getting to a point where you have no more muscle fibers to recruit, making the fly harder the more you are at the top). But they do not train the pecs on their full range of motion, which i would suggest you to do if you want to build solid pecs efficiently.

tldr: flyes are among the best chest isolation exercises because they work the full range of motion of the chest, like practically no other exercise can.
>>
>>38809206
>Im loading trucks with tires for 40hours a week
I'm compareable to you in size and weight but my TDEE when doing manual labour is around 4000kcal, you don't eat enough
>>
Just got into weightlifting and I'm using the 5x5 Stronglifts app to keep it simple. The problem is, I work out Monday Wednesday Friday (with cardio on weekends) and every workout so far has involved squats. I can barely walk down stairs right now but tomorrow I'm supposed to squat heavy ass weights in the gym? What gives?
>>
I want to post a form check but I'm afraid you guys will make fun of me.
>>
>>38813276

I'm ( >>38813045 , >>38813184 ) and I was being ironic. Front delt and triceps volume is very sensitive on fullbody routines since they're heavily used in both OHP and Bench, which is why flies are a good way to add more pec work.
>>
>>38813333
Nice quads bro. Lift anyway even if you're sore and you'll get nice quads IRL too.
>>
>>38812776
>herbs and extracts and stuff
Name them and we can comment. Most likely mumbo jumbo.
>>
>>38813333
Once you grease the groove it will feel smooth as silk. Unless you're not eating right or not getting enough rest. In which case, fix those first. After you lift anyway. And if you fail then you fail. That is part of training.

The other thing is: where are you sore and why are you sore? Is it bad form? If it's that, and the soreness isn't DOMS but due to other things like bad mobility, work on that shit. Don't be afraid to drop weight. I'd take 4 weeks at reduced load over 8 at no load.
>>
>>38813333

You will get used to it don't worry senpai. DOMS (what you have) should stop appearing after your 4th ~ 5th workout.

If you get to the workout with A LOT of DOMS, to the point of not being to squat properly with your working weight, just lift less that day (like 80%of the weight you were going to use). You should then be perfect for the next workout after that one.

Also, make sure to be eating (lots of protein and carbs) and sleeping enough (even more if you do cardio on weekends), because the soreness on the muscles might be from not recovering quickly enough, which doing SL 5x5 is pretty common to happen.

>>38813350
Do it man, just focus on the constructive advice you will get. Haters are always going to hate, your job is finding the good advice in the pile of trash we call /fit/
>>
File: Bravo, dubs.webm (1MB, 959x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bravo, dubs.webm
1MB, 959x720px
>>38813333
Witnessed.
>just got into weightlifting
>Stronglifts
>squat heavy ass weights
Does not compute. In any case, DOMS goes away when muscle gets warm and then won't come back after a week or so of doing that lift.
>>
>>38808414
looks like scratchings from t-shirt seem mang
>>
>>38813333
Try using foam rollers on your off days and make sure you stretch daily. Otherwise it's probably a lack of sleep or insufficient diet.
>>
>>38813381
kek, my quads will be stong
>>38813424
>>38813426
>>38813436
Okay, thanks guys. So just cowboy up and go squat. Also, when I try to squat even 1pl8lmao, at the bottom of my squat, I lean forward accidentally onto my toes. Is this a hip mobility issue or what? What should I do about it?
>>
>>38813507
How long have you been lifting?
>>
>>38813511
literally been to the gym 4 times. so just over a week.
>>
Doing 5x5 stronglifts barbell row. Here's the video he shows: https://youtu.be/EP2g3Sj3qSw?t=1377.

The problem is I can't seem to make my back straight parallel, there's always a bit of a bump in my lower back. Is this a flexibility issue?

Furthermore I'm not low enough to actually grab the bar from that position. Is it ok to start with the bar hanging at mid shin level and do rows from there?
>>
>>38813276
>(mainly because at the end of the fly you are getting to a point where you have no more muscle fibers to recruit, making the fly harder the more you are at the top)

Gravity and levers says it's the easiest part by far. That's why I prefer machine flies once in a while.
>>
>>38813537
http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#How_much_weight_should_I_start_with

Don't be in too big a hurry to add weight or your form will suffer, then your back will suffer.
>>
I don't really know shit about nutrition. I just eat healthy and don't ever eat out or any processed foods. My question is: what are the differences between simple and complete carbohydrates?
>>
>>38813548
>a bump in my lower back
You mean it's rounding over? Read up on bracing your core/Valsalva maneuver. Fill belly when upright, brace, then bend over and rest belly on thighs.
>not low enough to actually grab the bar
If you're starting with 10 lb plates as suggested, stack two 25s under each to get bar to the right height.
>>
>>38813610
>I don't really know shit about nutrition
Educate yourself.
> I just eat healthy
By your own admission you don't know what this is.
>simple and complete carbohydrates?
Complex, not complete. It's the bonds at the molecular level.
>Simple
Sugars. The bonds are quick to break down and be released into the bloodstream, leading to an insulin spike
>Complex
Oats for example. The bonds take longer to break down giving a slow and steady release of nutrients into the bloodstream and a less sharp insulin response.

Regarding your use of the word complete, we use complete when referring to proteins that contain all amino acids (the 'complete' set).
>>
It's cheap whey protein a good substitute if I want to drink it or to cook meals with it if I don't get enough proteins from eating since I feel bloated?
>>
>>38813642
Yes whey is a good thing to use to help you meet your protein goals. However, it is a supplement, not a crunch and not a staple food.
>>
>>38813507
Could be hip mobility, bar position, flexibility of back/ankles/calves/shoulders, not bracing properly, bad shoes, bad surface, bad form in general, etc.
Listen to this annoying jagoff:
https://youtu.be/JazgzExT0Ds?t=5m7s seems relevant to begin with.

There's a lot that goes into a good squat and so many form videos. Try to post your own video and someone here may be generous to not be too much of a dick when they criticize the shit out of everything you do.
>>
Gains on bench and OHP are coming hard. I've got 141x5 bench and 87x5 OHP at 120lbs LBM. I failed 143x5 today. Would adding accessories help, and which ones?
>>
>>38809927
Honestly find some sort of program at a small college for a trade. Either operator in chemical plant or hvac or something. If you're willing to work your fucking ass off welding can make you tons of money.
>>
>>38813597
I don't want to hurt myself but I still want to get a workout in. If I did the recommended starter weights, I wouldn't be remotely tired by the end.
>>
>>38813672
>Would adding accessories help, and which ones?
Newbies always want to add more, which is rarely if ever the solution. You weigh how much (don't tell me your LBM, tell me your weight)? You may need to be eating more.
>>
>>38813691
160lb epitome of skinnyfat. Been thinking hard about cutting after I got a DEXA and thought holy shit when I saw the results.
>>
>>38813718
What was your body fat %?
>>
>>38813683
The weights will get heavy enough before you know it and you'll be glad to took the time to learn form while working up in weight. Weightlifting is not for the impatient.
>>
>>38813734
26%, but lower on trunk so it was hard to tell visually.
>>
If you have an injury, but it doesn't hurt when you work out, is it ok to continue training?
>>
>>38813757
Right. That's by every definition, fat.

You want to aim to drop like 16% of your total body weight. That should be your focus.
>>
>>38809597
THANK YOU BACK-SNAP GORILLA
>>
Should I do close grip DB bench press to help build my chest? Or is it mostly for triceps?
>>
>>38813803
It's not an exercise. CG BB bench press is for triceps, CG DB isn't something you do.

If you want a bigger chest, progress on your current chest exercises (bench more).
>>
>>38813781
That makes 20lbs to lose. Fuck. Will I probably hang on to what little stats I have?
>>
>>38813866
>Will I probably hang on to what little stats I have?
Yes, because they are low you shouldn't be losing strength. You can even add weight to the bar via form improvements and CNS adaptions.

>That makes 20lbs to lose. Fuck
You have to do it, you are overweight. Take the time in the gym to learn and lock down form and the time in the kitchen to shed the weight. 20lbs ~= 20 weeks.
>>
Do United States regulations require the prior freezing of all meats or just fish? I'm wondering if there's actually any physical difference between meat that you get out the grocery store fridge, or meat you thaw yourself out of your freezer, to satisfy my hippie autism.
>>
>>38813842
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/close-grip-dumbbell-press.html

So this is not worth doing?
>>
Do most clinics have the tools to accurately measure bf%, or would I have to go to a sports clinic for that? I'm scheduling a physical soon, and would love to know if your average clinic would be able to get me that piece of knowledge.
>>
>>38808414
It's a scratch
>>
>>38814070
No, it's shit.
>>
>>38808105

I wear sleeveless shirts to the gym and im not super ripped.

just do what the fuck you want man.
>>
>>38814090
Depends on what accuracy you want. I imagine they probably have calipers but not dexa scans.
>>
>>38814138
Where would one go for dexa scans, and does insurance typically cover it?
>>
>>38813639
Fuckin autocorrect changed complex to complete.
>>
>>38814147
>Where would one go for dexa scans, and does insurance typically cover it?
Look it up in your city, mine was at my local sporting club. I can't comment on american insurance. In Australia it costs $50-75
>>
File: Screenshot_20160922-202256.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160922-202256.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
I only use preworkout like once a month at the most for 1rm days. Thing is even buying the smallest sizes it expires before I use it all. How bad of an idea is it to drink an energy drink as my preworkout in a 1rm day?

Keep in mind I'd only do it once a month at the most and normally don't drink soda, coffee or energy drinks.
>>
>>38814392
You shouldn't be on 5/3/1
>>
>>38814665

Where on earth are you getting 5/3/1 from?
>>
It's my second day doing stronglifts 5x5 and I wanted to know if I could do overhead press and bench press with dumbells instead of the barbell
>>
>>38814712

You can try, but its almost certainly not going to work effectively.
>>
>>38814725
Why's that? Also which one of the exercises work out the biceps?
>>
>>38814765

Because routines like SL rely on you being able to make small weight increases every time, which you usually can't do with DBs. Also because getting DBs into position for heavy sets rapidly becomes really fucking hard.
>>
maintenance or surplus during rest days?

fat fuck here
>>
>>38814792
I see. Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>38814829
barbell feels so much better once you get the form down anyway, at least definitely for OHP
>>
>>38812564
True. I wore a wife beater to someone's kids birthday to drink all of their beer and eat their tacos.
>>
>>38814838
I was doing OHP but sitting and it felt much easier.
>>
>>38814885
sitting doesn't hit all the muscles that standing OHP does

Plus everyone fucks up the form with dumbell press
>>
Honestly, I have no clue here:

I have been using the triceps machine since I started working out. You basically sit in a chair and pull a bar up from behind your head until your arms are straight above your head.

I have worked up to 120 on this machine.

Today, I wanted to try skullcrushers. I struggled to do 3 x 10 at 40 pounds, but it felt like a better workout.

Could somebody explain why my weight ability is significantly reduced and/or if I should keep doing skullcrushers for better isolation of triceps?
>>
doing SS, want to add cardio/hiit, rest days or weightlifting days?
>>
>>38814947

Weight != resistance, especially with machines.
>>
>>38814956
Fair enough... I imagine a big part of the struggle is balancing, but enough to drop my weight ability 2/3rds?
>>
>>38814665
What >>38814689 said, I didn't say anything about 5/3/1
>>
>>38814953
post flabby body
>>
>>38814885
>easier
>never gonna make it
>>
>>38814982

You're not really comparing the same thing.

The weight listed on a machine doesn't always have much to do with the actual difficulty because it's a pulley setup (and the numbers listed aren't always the actual weight, either). Depending on the exact way they're built, the force required to move that weight can be all over the place.
>>
Hi guys so 4 years ago i had a panic attack while lifting weights and i sank into deep panic attack disorder that sent me to sadcunt mode and i stopt lifting. I got better with time infroming myself on anxiety and stuff, so lately i went back gyming 3 weeks in and my anxiety gets worse after every workout till i had a fullblown panic attack today that i had to cut my workout short and leave the gym asap. Been feeling not so well whole day...
Any help with this matter pls i just wanna be a sickcunt.
Ps: never got any professional help.
>>
>>38814953
It doesnt matter if youre gonna do it on lifting days make sure to do lifting first then cardio. I'd rather do it on lifting days to get it out of the way and have a full day of rest.
>>
Whats a good amount to curl on an ezbar without flabbing wildly?
>>
>>38815017
Alright, makes sense. Thank you, Anon. I think I'll stick to skullcrushers then. Like I said, it felt like a better work out and I've only been at this 5-6 months now so I'm still a clueless rookie.
>>
>>38815023
Then get professional help. Have you tried meditation?
>>
>>38815042
however much you feel comfortable with good form. i literally cant answer this for you
>>
>>38815056
Cant wrap my head around the idea of sitting still with my eyes closed will do me any good..
>>
>>38815042
This may or may not work for you but the trainer at my gym (I know, I know) suggests trying to start with 150% of what you can do with a single arm DB curl. If your form is shit with that, take it down to 120% and work form for 2-3 sets before increasing weight.
>>
>>38815098
>listening to pt
>ever
>>
>>38815120

>(I know, I know)
>>
>>38815090
Why don't you try it out first?
>>
>>38815146
I will, any recommended methods?
>>
>>38808414

You scratched yourself somehow.

But even it they were stretchmarks, why the fuck would you slow down? The only bad stretchmarks are fatty stretchmarks.
>>
Current gym only has dumbbells, a smith machine and a pulldown machine, and a pullups bar. Can I still achieve a good workout? I know I should invest in a gym with a barebell but this is the one within my range and closest to me. Any help anons?
>>
>>38815255

Doing legs will be difficult, but you can still get a great upper body with just pullups, DB OHP, DB Bench, and curls.
>>
>>38815191
http://quietkit.com/

If you have a phone, install 'Headspace' or 'Calm' too.
>>
>>38815304
Thank you sir
>>
>>38815255

Planet fitness...?
>>
>>38815255
Yes, you know you can deadlift and do leg presses in the smith machine right?
>>
>>38815290
I was considering bulgarian split squats and lunges to help train the legs.
Just need to make up the workout plan.
>>38815334
I really loathe smith machines, really cuts your range of motion down.
>>
At college and the gym is always crowded, is it weird to record myself squatting to see my form if there's always people waiting?

Also, on squat form: I think my knees tend to bow outwards, could this be causing some mild knee pain I'm experiencing?
>>
>>38808105
I don't have access to a gym until next month (haven't workout since augst) I don't wanna lose my gains so if I just flex my arm as hard as possible and act like I'm lifting a db and benching , will I keep my gainz? Or am I fucked for another month
>>
I'm a fatass (100 kg, around 25% bf) doing starting strenght, should I eat at maintenance or at deficit?
>>
>>38808105
Some faggot called me "brutish" and "bovine", and said I turned him on. Would that mean I'm also attractive to girls?
>>
I have a pain in my left hip joint from doing squats. I think it might b partially from bad form, but I had the same pain when I played soccer in highschool (we didn't do weightlifting for training only running and a little body weight stuff). It's sharp and prevents me from doing squats.
>>
>>38808105
Is the whole starvation mode / "if you eat too little your weight loss will slow down" thing just a meme? If not, how likely is it to hit that point?

Here is my info:

- 245lbs (down from 355 SW)
- 33, 5'10"
- Use MFP, track between 1500-1600 calories a day.
- Workout: 15 min cardio + lifting machines 3 times a week, plus I go for walks when I have time
- Pretty much on PC the rest of the time

And like, yeah I lose weight. But I do feel weak from time to time and it feels like if I even glance at a calorie above 1600 I gain two pounds. I don't feel like I'm under eating but I promised a friend I'd look into it.
>>
>>38812273
Its almost like cardio in the militært is important
>>
>>38815690
You're fucked

>>38815747
deficit. don't fool yourself

>>38815787
yes

>>38815996
Maybe one leg is too short. Have it checked

>>38816227
yes it's bullshit
>>
What do strong calves do besides allow you to calf raise more?

Do they make you faster, hit harder, lift more, etc?

I never really thought of it before. Help
>>
>>38816779
>one leg is too short

Would this also apply to squatting on uneven ground?
>>
>>38816812
Maintain better balance while lifting heavy things
>>
>>38816824
Sure. Sounds dangerous though
>>
>>38816871
This explains a lot. I get the same hip pain I believe as that guy and I squat with one foot on plywood and another off it.

Fuck. I'm going to have to do some moving tomorrow and take the level out there.
>>
File: heebiejeebies.jpg (79KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
heebiejeebies.jpg
79KB, 600x404px
>>38815290
any plan in mind? Trying to build the plan

A:
DB Bench 5x5
DB Fly 5x5
Arnold press 3x8
tricep pulldowns 3x8
Straight legged deadlifts 5x5
pull ups 3x10
plank

B:
DB OHP 5x5
DB rows 5x5
lateral raises 3x8
Curls 3x8
Bulgarian split squat 5x5
chin-up 3x10
plank

1-3 mile run each time

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

I think it's a start but it could definetly be refined
Any input?
>>
Any protein powders that mix awesome with water?
>>
Opinions?

In-between days:
3x20 light lying external rotations sset by 2x almost failure planks

Every week day:
100x each side Nautilus 4-way neck machine

Naps
Stomach vacuums in the shower

A
3x5 lowbar back Squat
3x5 THE PRESS
1x5 deadlift

30 over all chins, until weighted for 2x6-8
2-3x8+ cable facepulls until I get a band, then for 3x15+

Neck work as described
3xbefore failure incline calve walks , flat walking in-between.

B
3x5 lowbar back squat
3x5 Bench press
3x5 Pendlay rows 1xamrap shrug

2-3x10-15 landmine laterals
2-3x10-15 DB pullovers (maybe floor BB pullover press)

Neck work as described
3xbefore failure incline calve walks, then normal walking in-between
I will be replacing the Pendlays with power cleans once I am confident in my form. I know rows are no substitute, and Chins are going to be a better for the lats for now.
Practicing with a barbell when I can, they're really fun.
>>
File: 1470837642490.jpg (78KB, 460x562px) Image search: [Google]
1470837642490.jpg
78KB, 460x562px
Does anybody have experience with GOMAD?

I am very sceptical towards GOMAD. I live in Europe so I just do 4 litres of milk, which is about the same.
Now, I see that Milk has some great potential, 640 calories per litre = 2560 calories from the milk alone, + a steak + oats and assorted, but it also does have a lot of fat and saturated fats. Does bulking on milk work?
>>
>>38816996
are you an underaged/just stopped being underage skelly? if so, bulk with GOMAD
otherwise, dont bulk with gomad and just eat food like a normal person
rippletits himself says that no one thats not an undeveloped skeleton should do it
that said, as a supplemental bulking material, milk is great, tons of protein
>>
Recovering fatty here. Dropped from 30% bf to 20%, but have lost all motivation to get slim. I just want to be as strong as possible.

Will the extra fat hurt my gains or should I just start packing on muscle without trying to get slim first?
>>
fit i think my legs are srsly fucked up
>live on a ship for like 7 months
>shit rocks too much so only work upper body
>come back home and legs cant lift for shit without legs cramping up
>decide to start from scratch and deload to 20lb dumbbell lunge
>warm up by doing 3x6 bodyweight lunges
>on my third set it feels like all of the blood in my body is in my quads and they start spasming like theyre going to cramp
>leave dumbbells on ground because ill cramp if i pick them up
>as im typing this my quads are spasming

wtf do I do to regain my legs?? I dont drink more than 2 cups of coffee a day, and I drink 3-4 32oz nalgene bottles a day and regularly piss clear. also had dat dere whey and banana today. im just confused and sad
>>
>>38817289
squat
its going to be fucking hell but squat, start off without the bar if you need to
>>
thread reached bump limit, new thread

>>38817325
>>38817325
>>38817325
>>
>>38808885
I just pee in my shorts like the top level athletes. Feels goodman
>>
>>38810425
If there is pain associated with with the "clunk" you probably damaged the cartilage in your knee-cap. Go to a orthopedist and/or a physiotherapy.

Anecdotally, massaging the VMO on a lacrosse ball helps (at least in my case).
>>
File: eesti.gif (2MB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
eesti.gif
2MB, 700x600px
>>38808105
/R/ing that /fit/self improvement books picture with several posts
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.