[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is eating organic a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: daily_picdump_1766_640_81.jpg (44KB, 611x600px) Image search: [Google]
daily_picdump_1766_640_81.jpg
44KB, 611x600px
Is eating organic a meme, /fit/? Or does it have any legitimate benefits?

Need help brehs.....
>>
It's not essential for eating clean
>>
File: 1460926937057.jpg (393KB, 1959x1469px) Image search: [Google]
1460926937057.jpg
393KB, 1959x1469px
>>38802080
Do you care about GMOs. That will answer your question
>>
It's a meme in terms of health benefits, yeah. Though supposedly some foods, particularly animal products, taste better when they're organic
>>
>>38803440
Taste better when they get MSG
>>
>>38802080
Food without pesticides helps prevent xenoestrogen consumption.
>>
>>38802080
No. Basically, if you eat vegetarian, you're doing your body good. If you eat organic, it doesn't even mean that you're doing anything good for the earth.

Bottom line: vegetarian for sure, organic maybe.
>>
>>38802080
I eat organic meat because I'd like to avoid the massive amounts of antibiotics and growth hormone used in the production of non-organic meat. Some organic fruits and vegetables taste better, but it's less clearly an improvement.
>>
>>38802080
Total meme. There is nothing to fear from GMOs, so lets take that off the table. You have issues with Monsanto's business practices? So does everyone else, doesn't stop the food from being perfectly safe.

Let's move into the products first. Food is moved around quite a bit more than you might think. Especially in the case of processing. That organic soy bar you bought, the company who made it probably got it's main ingredients bought from a distributor, who bought it from a supplier, who bought it from another supplier that stores all similar grains together. It can be very hard to track all the ingredients back to the source to guarantee organic-ness.

Next, organic is not a protected term. Literally anyone can slap the term on anything, there is no standard anyone is held too. You want an excuse to charge another 15% on your product, well I guess the product now comes in an organic version.

Finally, the term organic means different things to different people. That organic cleaner buys the same detergents from the same suppliers as lysol, is the fact it doesn't have aerosols or fragrances enough to make it organic in your eyes?

If you're really concerned with pesticides/herbicides/insecticides in your food, wash it. You should have been doing that anyway.
>>
>>38803795
>Next, organic is not a protected term
You're literally spreading false information 'Organic' is a strictly regulated term that has to meet these standards to be saleable. https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/organic-standards
>>
>>38803795
Its the hormones and antibiotics you dumb fuck
>>
>>38803833
Which means essentially nothing in terms of whatever you find in the grocery store.
>>
>>38803795
monsanto pls go
>>
I always thought the most legitimate concern was that these trans genes that create their own pesticides could be somehow inherited by a weed. This is the only real problem I see for GMOs. Golden Rice was invented, but never implemented because Green Peace. If a trans gene for Vitamin A production were to get out into another species, wtf is Vitamin A going to do?
>>
>>38802080
Pastured eggs are more nutritious, although conventional ones aren't bad. Same with most fatty animal products.

Organic veggies have different pesticides used. I don't think they're any better
>>
>>38805293
Suing for false advertising seems like a pretty nice check for a lawyer heading a class action lawsuit that represents anyone who buys any produce from x company
>>
>>38805347
Have you ever developed a new gene by playing with you dog?
>>
Organic falls into 2 main categories.

>Non GMO
and
>Lack of or reduced synthetic chemicals to "enhance flavor".

Even if you think GMOs are completely safe, you people should still be against it because it's a horrible business practice. A handful of mega corporations who modify their seeds literally own and control nature, and then are able to sue farmers whenever they feel like it through their corrupt loopholes. It's fucking horrifying, that alone should make people despise GMOs.

You people should really look at the ingredients of organic food compared to something genetic you buy at Wal-Mart. You'll find a very different set of ingredients.
>>
>>38802080
For some foods it makes sense. Leafy greens and junk covered in pesticide and have a lot of surface area. Avocados and oranges you don't eat the outside so who cares?

A lot of organic food does taste better though (it fucking better, costs 3x as much)

I have no problem with gmos healthwise but a lot of foods are grown to sell on a large scale by weight. They grow fast and are mostly water and tasteless.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.