[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

File: images-1.jpg (12KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
12KB, 209x241px
Martial arts general post stories and techniches

>ill post a story
>been training boxing and muay thai my whole life
>as i got older i became to stocky to box
>go to a BJJ gym
>train for a month
>finnally spar
>pick him up
>lands on my for arm and instantly snapped it
>i now do muay thai
>>
>>38784289
sorry for not contributing the thread, but:
start boxing next month, any advice you could give me in advance? like what to train now to get a smooth start or what my first exercises will be?
thanks
>>
>>38784289
I inherited my parents storage garage. Turned it into a dojo and teach khmer karate to kids and adults. I have a gold belt after studying with one of the last masters who survived the Cambodian civil war. Some people believe it to be the origins if jjj and bjj. All i can say is that it is very effective.
>>
>>38784570
Cardio, if you think you're good, I promise you, you're not
>>
>>38784570

I sparred the first day and nearly got kod lol

Anyway,have fun lol.First year is the roughest.
>>
File: 2016-09-20 21.52.51.jpg (777KB, 871x1259px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-20 21.52.51.jpg
777KB, 871x1259px
Havent sparred in a while
doing it on friday
wish me luck goys
>>
File: 1473900164605.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1473900164605.webm
1MB, 640x360px
Ive been thinking of joining a martial art gym, its either boxing or muay thai
Which one is better for manlets?
>>
>>38786440
I'm 5'6 and love muay thai. Just focus more on grappling. Grappling is all about skill, rather than size or strength
>>
>Be me
>been doing muay thai for about two weeks
>decide to try cool head kick I saw on tv
>instantly realize I fucked up
>falling at the speed of "Oh fuck"
>land right on my ass as three people watch
>ass hurt for three weeks
>didnt go back to gym for two
>finally get the courage up to go back
>tfw one of the guys who saw is there and makes a joke
>>
File: babyface.jpg (4KB, 360x140px) Image search: [Google]
babyface.jpg
4KB, 360x140px
>>38786682
Forgot pic
>>
>>38784570
>Cardio
>Cardio
>Cardio
>Cardio
>Head movements and footwork

>>38784596
Is Khmer Cambodian Bloodsport/Bokator? I wish I would have had the opportunity to learn that from one of the masters, it looks cool as shit.

>>38786201
glhf

>>38786440
Muay Thai, since you'll be fighting close range as a manlet anyway.

don't bully me for tripping, i only really come on /fit/ for /mag/ anyway.
>>
They should really make another board dedicated to alternative sports like this. If only. .
>>
>>38786815
I feel like if they did it would get over run by WWE faggots.
>>
>>38784596
Where you at senpai?
I am down for a sparring sesh
>>
>>38786682
>not knowing how to throw a high kick
Kys when?
>>
>>38784570
Do a bunch of cardio and HIIT to be ready to train hard and not have to build it up over weeks. First day you learn the stance and movements, second day the position of the hands for the guard, third day the jab etc. Make sure to build a strong base of technical skills.
>>
>>38786815
>martial art
>martial sport
/asp/ is a literal shithole, also pick one
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Stuff is life changing- it just breaks the bank with injuries+dog shit health insurance. Pic related, caught a spinning elbow
>>
What's a good MA for my dad to take up? He's nearly 50.

I'm thinking fencing or something.
>>
Are SBG gyms worth a fuck? I tend to stay away from "franchise" gyms whether it comes to fitness but I assume it's the same with MMA but I really like the message and approach they have. I just want to know if they're quality.

>inb4 stfu conor
>>
>>38784570
when I started I wished I was better at jump roping, also cardio
>>
>>38784289
>too stocky to box
Wut. No such thing. You became fat and lazy.
>pick someone up when sparring BJJ for first time
You clearly learnt nothing in that first month.

I don't believe you.
>>
>>38784570
Concentrate on fitness and technique.
If they make you do full sparring when you don't feel ready, change gyms.
Be humble and eager to learn and you will be fine.
>>
>>38786898
I can now but all I knew then was the very bare necessities...I had only been training for two weeks and that was only once a week. My gainz are fucking inspiring. I went from a scrawny little bitch who knew nothing to a slightly less scrawny bitch who can throw a head kick
>>
File: image.jpg (259KB, 1024x574px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
259KB, 1024x574px
>kickboxing
>spar for first time
>poke mate a few times, can't hit him with my cross
>goes to town on my head because I keep dropping my arms

wat doo?
>>
>>38789355
Keep your hands up. My trainer has our partner slap us whenever they see our hands drop, so I learned pretty quick. Mainly, it's just practice
>>
Question for fellow Boxing Bros,

I'm looking to do some heavy squats and deadlifts again, but im not sure if that'll hinder my preformance in anyway. Is it okay to lift big, or should i just stick to endurance training.

Im 155lbs
>>
>>38789452
Depends on your height.. If you want to be one of those 5'4 monsters...then you probably shouldn't. If you're tall, then fucking go for it. Short people should focus more on speed, while tall people should aim for that knockout power. If you want to do the opposite, then go ahead. It might be more difficult if you want to fight in the amateurs tho
>>
>>38789520

I'm a manlet, 5'7. Would squats and deadlifts have an impact on the speed of my punch? I'm not looking to gain mass or anything, just some explosive strength. Would going for some heavy compound lifts ruin my speed?
>>
You guys all work your serratus (puncher's) muscke, right?

If not it is a good exercise to add as an accessory after you bench.

Dip shrugs are my favorite serratus exercise, but i also like landmine press.

Also anytime you do push ups (aka GOAT cardio) really focus on protracting your scapula
>>
>>38787562
I train at an SBG and I love it. They became part of SBG about a year and a half ago but the owners loved the SBG training philosophy and definitely live by it. If there's a new technique out there and it's completely ineffective in live combat then they don't even think about teaching it.
>>
File: 1474350870611.png (800KB, 598x599px) Image search: [Google]
1474350870611.png
800KB, 598x599px
I'm finally getting over a rotator cuff injury, Shadowboxed and jogged with weights last night. Woke up with no problems. Gonna join a boxing gym next month. They don't have a ring, but I checked it out, tons of bags and some cool instructors. Affordable too.

I taught myself to jump rope this summer. Quit smoking and drinking as well.

As a 5'5'' manlet, who can't gain fuck all in mass, what are some questions I should ask, in terms of styling my conditioning to get the most out of lessons?
>>
>>38789571
To answer your question, no, it probably shouldn't. If you notice changes then just add in some exercises to increase punching speed to counteract.
Honestly, I'm 5'6 and I realized when I started that I needed to get quick to keep up with others my size. Since the taller guys already have punching power, they tend to accentuate that. It's mainly just playing to your body's natural ability.
>>
Why the fuck is MT so expensive? Every fucking gym I go to around town charges atleast 120 monthly. Boxing sounds nice but I always had my sights on the MT from day one.
>>
>>38789665

What are some excercises you do to improve the speed of your punches?

On a side note, I personally feel as if the manlet's legs and back are the most important. I'm pretty quick with my jabs and rights, but I focus a ton on my body hooks and uppercuts. I hit that shit HARD and feel as if it'd be very resourceful against any opponent.
>>
>>38789600
Dip shrugs aren't really a serratus exercise.

Maybe if you lean forward, but it still won't hit them that much.
>>
>>38786796
>>38786881
>>>/asp/1772109

You can't be this retarded, anons.
>>
>>38789747
I shadowbox often which also help to realize when you're doing something wrong. Normally, I'll record it so I can watch and realize issues. Also, just simple heavy bag work. The best way to get better hand speed is to just practice. I really don't know any secret method or any of that...I just practice
>>
>>38789720
Stop being poor
>>
>>38789720
I'd be fucking thankful there is MT where you are. The last gym closed here like 15 years ago cause of the MMA craze.
>>
>>38789817

Do you ever lift? Any specific excercises you feel help you in any way? Or do you strictly stick to cardio and practice?
>>
>>38789876
I only do cardio and bodyweight exercises, with few exceptions. Push-ups and pull-ups have helped a lot with arm strength. For leg strength and cardio, I only jump rope and run. If you want those aesthetics then lift. I have the muay thai body which I know isn't that flattering
>>
>>38784596
Sounds fake
>>
>>38789747
>>38789817
Clap pushups maybe?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/361364-do-clap-push-ups-make-you-punch-better/
>>
>>38790003
I'm definitely going to try it now. It totally makes sense
>>
File: 1473543956544.gif (839KB, 192x179px) Image search: [Google]
1473543956544.gif
839KB, 192x179px
>>
File: 23vl4ivjpg.gif (4MB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
23vl4ivjpg.gif
4MB, 300x170px
>>
File: tumblr_mvymyaTOg01qhndw9o4_250.gif (1MB, 245x210px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvymyaTOg01qhndw9o4_250.gif
1MB, 245x210px
>>
File: 637of3n.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
637of3n.gif
2MB, 300x169px
>>
File: 1456925859342.gif (981KB, 204x150px) Image search: [Google]
1456925859342.gif
981KB, 204x150px
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 224x225px
is this a good /mag/ channel
>>
>>38786881
I often tell my students the story about the bjj brown belt who came with his buddy challenging me to a roll while his buddy was filming it. He did sport bjj. I warned him "this is khmer karate" i said. He kept on saying "i just wanna roll" so i finaly said "okay ". First thing he did was to put his hands wrong and pull guard, he ate an elbow to the temple, a headbutt to his nose and jaw. He didnt know how to defend, he thought it was gonna be the same as sport bjj. He emedietly surendered, then he got up he walked like a drunk man, bleeding from his nose. I made sure he was okay. I dont know what else he expected to happen. I told him that this was khmer karate, its not like a sports tournament. Needless to say i have declined challenges since that, because they never learn. It is a totally different game when you must defend for everything. Bjj is just one of many skills, bjj is for sport when somebody can't elbow or headbutt you. This is real martial art! The brutal origins of ninja and jujitsu, therefore also bjj. The bjj folks still visit from time to time, but I usually just decline, usually they also back down when they are smart enough to realize what they're getting themselves into. Because grappling is very different when dealing With the headbutt and elbow, because you have two guards, one in your legs and one on your arms. But that guy was comming to my School filming hoping to call me out, he got beat up real bad, I hope he learned his lesson.
>>
>>38786796
Bokator and the khmer boxing with the headbutt is a different enterpretation of the same art. Many of the old masters died during the civil war, I was just lucky enought to learn from one before he died of old age and bad health.

I called it khmer karate because Karate is a more known word. But really it is bokator without the dancing and headbutts on the ground. Sometimes we do it With mma rules, because I know that is the only place they can compete. Sometimes we do the khmer boxing rules, sometimes we do limited takedown like in bokator. But I stress the importance of teaching every technique, it isn't a sport, it is a art of war.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.