[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is something I feel like I need to say I’ve held three

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: me.jpg (79KB, 954x692px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
79KB, 954x692px
This is something I feel like I need to say

I’ve held three all-time records in powerlifting. Not federation records in some obscure division, but “no one in this weight class in this style of lifting in any federation has ever lifted this much” records.

What did it take for me to break records? Train consistently, identify weaknesses, and avoid injury. Yes, that was entirety of the revolutionary strategy that helped me get to the top.

First, a bit about my background.

My parents got me a weight set when I was 10. It was a small bar (not an Olympic bar) that could only hold 250 pounds. I rushed down on Christmas morning, and, as any true future bro would do, I maxed out on everything. That first morning, I bench pressed 150 and deadlifted all 250 pounds with ease.

Fast forward 4 years. I barely used that little weight set because I wasn’t allowed to bench without a spotter (which was rarely available), and I could deadlift all the weight I had basically until I got bored. Finally I had access to the high school weightroom with full-size Olympic bars and plates. At a bodyweight somewhere around 165-170, I benched 275 and deadlifted 425 that first day in the weight room – keep in mind that I’d done both movements maybe a dozen times in my life, spread over a 4 year period prior to that point – untrained for all intents and purposes.

My training was incredibly stupid. Imagine the ignorance of youth combined with the added arrogance of breaking records with minimal effort, and you’ll have a pretty good idea of how insufferable and closed off to critique and criticism 15 and 16 year old me was. My training routine was a high volume, high intensity, high frequency, high band tension, high accessory work, high disregard for life, limb, and proper form monstrosity. And with it, I managed to squat mid 500s, bench 400, and deadlift 600 not long after turning 16 at a bodyweight hovering around 195-205.
>>
As long as I was consistently challenging myself, recovering effectively (sleeping/minimizing stress), and not getting hurt, I got stronger, regardless of the methods I was using.

The thing that people, especially other people in my position, don’t want to come to terms with is that innate genetic factors are hugely important. I wanted to believe I was the strongest because I was so smart and worked so hard.

Nonsense.

My first day with a real weight set when I was 14, I hit numbers that some people work years for. In my first year of real (incredibly stupid) training, I hit bigger numbers than most people will in their entire life. The former didn’t have a damn thing to do with how hard I’d worked on the weights, and the latter didn’t have a damn thing to do with how much I knew about training.

If most people did the things I have done to reach the level of strength that I have, they would probably improve, but that would not make them lift as much as I do. If a perfectly genetically average person (assuming that exists) was twice as smart about training and worked twice as hard as me, I would still lift more.

That’s one reason I abhor “strength standards” tables, particularly when they use words like “novice,” “intermediate,” and “advanced.” Especially because many people (most, perhaps) assume there’s a strong correlation between the category and the experience/knowledge of the lifter.

“Bro, you’ve been lifting 2 years and you’re still not an intermediate? What’s wrong with you? Train harder and drink more milk, bro.”

That makes my blood boil.

It makes a lot of ungifted but knowledgeable people feel inferior (Some of the brightest people I’m working with currently are some of the weakest – they’ve been reading so much about how to get stronger because they’ve been led to believe they must be doing something wrong!), and it gives dumb, gifted lunks (16 year old me) a false sense of superiority.
>>
nice blog post
>>
Aint reading that shit mate.
>>
>>38755154
>>38755158
Tl;dr

Did you really think anyone gives enough of a shit about your blog to read all that shit? Gtfo.
>>
All this guys not knowing the great Greg cuckols
>>
I enjoyed this read.
>>
>>38755154
Why you pretending to be Greg Nuckols? That man is my hero.
>>
>>38755154
>>38755158
So you were really fucking talented and didn't work hard at all for it.

>good for you
>>
>>38755154
http://strengtheory.com/what-it-takes-to-break-world-records/
>>
>>38755154
>>38755158
how tall are you?
>>
File: polish javelin thrower.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
polish javelin thrower.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
that's something i've always appreciated about nuckols, few are willing to tell you the truth that maybe you're a genetic dead end and won't ever bench 405 because it might hurt their website views or supplement sales
>>
As much as I'd like to accept this at face value to help excuse my continuous injuries and generally shitty strength, it still feels like a copout. Nice read though. Nuckols is one of the only ones in the meme industry fitness has become who produces insightful content.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.