[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i want to start learning a martial art. my gym got 3 courses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: temp.png (21KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
21KB, 512x512px
i want to start learning a martial art.
my gym got 3 courses avaible: Karate, judo, Muay Thai.Courses start next week.
So far there is nothing that makes me want to choose one over the others, mostly because i know nothing about them ( aside for karate, i did one year of karate when i was 8).

can you help me find out what's the right one for me, or just share your opinions if you know them well?

i am 23, male, short, somewhat weak, i only started lifting this month, i haven't done any sport in yearst.
I want to learn a martial art because i am interested into changing my lifestyle into a more sport-y one, because i want to learn to defend myself ( even tough i have never been in danger and i am not interested in the most effective combat style), because i think it might teach me respect for other AND interactions with others... i am really shy and /v/irgin and i have always felt threatened by other males.I am a bit scared of contact.
>>
You're short and not physically talented, any martial art will do you well because you probably won't reach high level competition in any of them. Judo and Muay Thai imply live sparring, karate is up to the instructors.
>>
>>38706637
what do you mean by live sparring? you mean 1vs1 punching duels? how hurtful are they going to be?
>>
>>38706673
You'll be actually fighting someone at a realistic pace. In Judo the ruleset is no punching/striking and you need to get the other dude on the ground getting thrown well hurt a bit but you'll get better at bracing for falls. In Muay Thai you're doing kickboxing, you wear pads but shots can still sting.
>>
>>38706601
Judo, since you're small you'll most likely be facing people bigger than you. Judo will show you how to use the bigger man's momentum against him.
>>
>>38706601
>shy
>Virgin

Judo might be a bit much. Karate might be a little to little.

What you need is muay thai and muay thai clinch. The regular training will give you a break to learn something new. The clinch will make you comfortable with touchy interaction. Also, karate and judo doesnt teach respect. They teach that colored cloth worn around your waist is magical and the people who wear them are wizards. You will reapect the thai instructor because he has the ability. And you will wear the shorts you choose!
>>
>>38706764
>Judo
>not teaching respect

Umm what? That whole sport is about tradition and respect.
>>
Can anybody explain better the qualities of a "mcdojo"?
>>
>>38706601
Not Karate.
>>
>>38706601

Not karate. Just watch the other two and go with whichever one seems funner, judo is more throws and grappling type stuff, Muay Thai is like kickboxing.
>>
>>38707438

It just means all they care about is giving people belts and making money. Whether or not the students actually become effective at fighting is irrelevant.
>>
>>38706601
>Karate, judo, Muay Thai
Jesus anon, get a proper gym with MT+BJJ
>>
>>38706601
It depends on the teacher really. I do karate and love it, but there are a lot of McDojos out there for every martial art now. Just make sure there is sparring at whichever gym you choose since that gives you practical experience training exercises and katas never could.
>>
>>38706601
judo is the only option in which your height is an advantage, as your center of gravity is lower

it's also a lot more effective at controlling your opponent than most people realize
>>
definitely Judo. it will do you (with your body type and weakness) more good in self-defense, and any decent judo instructor is going to kick your ass with ground practice. Judo will both force you to increase your strength and learn how to use it effectively; it's not just about memorizing and executing form.
>>
>>38708460
> Just make sure there is sparring at whichever gym you choose

i'll ask that. Karate sounds less nasty than the other two so if there is some action going on i'll might choose that.

> but there are a lot of McDojos out there for every martial art now

does that work with adults i wonder? i guess kids would be happy to get colored belts, but i don't give a fuck.
>>
File: sagat_vs_ryu_by_codesigner.jpg (136KB, 724x1102px) Image search: [Google]
sagat_vs_ryu_by_codesigner.jpg
136KB, 724x1102px
IMO

>Karate
Cultural dancing.

>Muay Thai
Actual striking sport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpl_7w8-jTE

>Judo
Actual grappling sport but bad in comparison to BJJ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuzImQo7cdg

None are going to teach you actual self-defense so just do whichever one seems the most fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9-K6bkETQ
>>
I would choose whichever stresses the most flexibility. One thing I want out of martial art is for it to cure me of being a rigid retarded waddling robot
>>
>>38706601
It has been 11 years since I started practicing judo, now I'm 24.
You know, to find out your martial art you don't have to look at how you are physically speaking, you need to know well the philosophy of the martial art and see which one of the 3 is the nearest to your lifestyle.
I can tell by my experience that Judo is all about working together and use your strenght the best way.
I don't really know Muay Thai and I don't really like it.
Karate for what I know is about realesing a lot of energy in one strike, it's quiet practical, I don't personally love it but it's ok.
Contact it's not an issue in judo, you'll get used to it in a month.

Sorry for my english, eurofag here
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.