[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TEAR ME APART!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: pDSP1-9482102v750.jpg (171KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-9482102v750.jpg
171KB, 750x750px
Noob here who only has a Planet Fitness in town so I do a dumbbell full-body home workout, I wanted to post my routine to get it torn apart. I'm 5' 10", 150 and I work out 5-6 days a week depending on my schedule.

I've changed it through my own personal research about 15 times, and I think it's good now but I know I can always learn more. I've been doing it for about 4 months, and I have definitely started looking better. My weight has stayed the same though, possibly gained 5 pounds, but my scale is really inconsistent and maybe broken.

I also want to get an EZ bar and plates for the workouts I know everyone will recommend, but I don't have room in my apartment nor the money.

Here's my routine (slash indicates superset):
(12/10/8 reps for all workouts)

3x15 Standing Ab Roller
Perfect Push-Ups 20/15/Max
Dips 10x3

Dumbbell: 30 pounds each
Front Raise/Calf Raise
Squat/Barbell Curl
Skullcrusher/Bench Flies

Dumbbell: 40 Pounds each
Lateral Raise/Wide Row
Wrist Curls (Up and down)/Tricep Extension
Shoulder Press
Concentration Curls

Dumbbell: 50 pounds each
Bench Press
Pullovers

Dumbbell: 60 pounds each
Farmers Walk 3x1:00
Standing Ab roller 3x15

Thanks for any help, really appreciate it here for all it has taught me.
>>
Add some pull ups in there if you can
>>
>>38668279
Looks shitty imo, what are your progression schemes and why do you have those weird weight jumps. No way you should lat and frontraise these weights
>>
>>38669333
I actually ordered a pull up bar and it will arrive soon. Thanks!

>>38669393
The weight jumps are just based on my max for those certain exercises. What's wrong with those weights? My progression is about 5 pounds for each step every two weeks.
>>
File: 1384301866854.jpg (27KB, 530x398px) Image search: [Google]
1384301866854.jpg
27KB, 530x398px
>>38668279

I'm in the same boat as you, OP. Just got a rowing machine and have started cardio...my dumbbells are on their way. I got the bowflex memebells so they take up less space. My apartment is tiny af. I could afford barbells but I would literally have nowhere to put them and be tripping on them just trying to move.

I'm basically a nublet when it comes to lifting. I lifted for 1.5yrs in high school them became a gaymer fatfuck in my early 20s. Now I'm 25 and I'm tired of being a shitstain.

Do you feel like dumbbells are enough for a decent full body workout? Also, are you bulking or cutting? I'm overweight atm so I'll be cutting first (5'11, 205lbs).
>>
>>38669802
I feel like dumbbells are, in 4 months I have gotten good gains and learn more the more I work out. I get nice comments a lot, but I also started out really skinny (like 125 from shitty diet and shitty living situation, borderline unwell) and worked an intense carpentry job for about 9 months which I believe gave me a nice foundation to build off.

I didn't pay attention to diet until about a month ago, and I am very slowly bulking, though I find it hard to eat when I am not hungry. I think my main hindrance is not enough calories and not enough protein at this point.
>>
File: 31085_yunnangoldenpuerhttea.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
31085_yunnangoldenpuerhttea.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
>>38669966

Nice dubs.

That's good to hear. I can't wait for my weights to get here. Glad you got out of that living situation...125lbs is brutal.

Since I'm cutting atm I've only heard the more common tips about bulking; mcdoubles or double quarter pounders are a decent protein source that's cheap, and the fat content is bearable if you're active enough.

Also, if you can blender w/e food you're eating without it becoming too nasty, you can chug those cals.

Finally, there's a tea I've been drinking that supposedly increases metabolism once you've been drinking it for a few days (increases it more so than green tea, etc.). After a week or so of a cup or two per day, I find my appetite is noticeably greater, so it isn't a meme as far as I can tell. The tea is called "Yunnan Golden Pu-Erh". It kind of tastes musty and mushroom-y. If you can find it for a decent price I'd recommend that for increased hunger.
>>
>>38668279
I understand your situation man, it's rough
And kudos to you for putting in the work
But, as far as routines go, especially novice routines, you will always be better off goign back to one of the widely accepted routines instead of making your own.
It's not that you're an idiot and cant pick 3 exercises to do, but those routines were made by people that have years of expertise in the field.

SO, I would just do a variation of GSLP with dumbbells.
something like this
>OHP/BP (dumbbell)
>Chinups/pullups or rows
>Squat/DL
and dips, lateral raises, curls or incline bench as accessories if you want, but you should be spent.
All in a 3x5 or 2x5, 1x5+ rep scheme

Now, the only problems are with Squat and dl
for the squat I would do: goblet squats, DB lunges (who work your grip like farmer walks) and DB hip thrusts.
For the DL...if you're after aesthetics you could just skip it, or do DB deadlift, or maybe some pullovers, shrugs and if you want some conditioning, kettle swing
Keep the ab stuff but dont overtrain it
>>
>>38671253
Apparently it's because that tea is fermented, and has bacteria that help digestion.

But then if you boil it, wouldn't it kill everything?
>>
>>38671253
Thanks, it's nice to see some compassion here! Seeing that thread where everyone is just destroying that lady who wants to get fit really bummed me out.

I'll have to check that tea out for when I start my cut. I've tried blending before, and just like when I tried soylent, it just makes me gag so much that I can't get it down. Mind over matter I imagine though.

As for the appetite weed is perfect for me, I can binge eat forever when I'm high. I used to smoke every day, but for a multitude of reasons I've cut it down to only the occasional weekend. I can always have some if I don't end up bulking how I need to.

One thing I missed in your original post I wanted to comment on is the cardio. I ran every other day for the first few months, which made me feel great, but I hear it can diminish your muscle gains if you run too long per session. Apparently HIIT is the way to go, which is what I plan on doing soon. But if you're more focused on cutting forget I said anything.
>>
>>38671622

I guess enough bacteria survives to have an effect. Again, you have to drink the tea for several days for it to work, so the small amounts of surviving bacteria must have to accumulate in your system over time.

That, or it's some other chemical generated by the fermentation process.
>>
>>38671700

I can't imagine blending either...I guess maybe it is just a willpower thing. I also heard about soylent, but I'd rather just pay attention to what I buy/cook/eat than remove all the pleasure from eating altogether. Seems a bit extreme, but I have heard Soylent is cheap.

I'm definitely sticking to cardio for the first few months too, erry other day. Right now I really need to lose at least 20lbs...30 ideally. Then it's bulking time.

Are you taking any supplements? I got some protein powder and leucine, but I've heard mixed things about creatine and I haven't decided if I want to jump on that bandwagon.
>>
>>38671601
Thanks for the advice, I have a few questions though. I never understood the reason behind the 3x5 scheme if you can do more, it never tires me out. Does that mean I should lower the reps and go for higher weight? I do the 12/10/8 scheme because that is about my max per exercise and those are the rep ranges for hypertrophy, which I am going for.

Secondarily, I used to do a lot more ab wheel stuff before I could do it standing, definitely too much. As in 3 sets of 45 left, right and center rolls. I had some insanely quick progress which reinforced that habit. Am I at a good level now? I have a semi 4 pack now, but what would overtraining do? I tend to throw in more ab rolls if I have energy left.
>>
>>38671830
I take Glucosamine, fish oil, fiber, protein powder, and a multivitamin. Starting creatine next week.
>>
If you want to make it with limited equipment you should get really good at calisthenics (bodyweight exercises) I would even recommend putting the dumbbells in your back pack when you do push-ups or dips. http://www.startbodyweight.com/
>>
>>38668279
here's my PPL for you OP.
PUSH
4x8 Incline Bench (You could do regular, but my upper chest kinda lacking desu)
4x8 Incline Flys (Same as above)
4x8 Seated Shoulder Press
4x8 Lat Raises
4x8 One-Handed Standing Tricep Extension

PULL
4xF Pull Ups
4x8 Rows with elbows flared out to hit that upper back/traps/rear delts (that don't get enough attention otherwise)
4x8 Bicep Curls
4x8 Hammer Curls

LEGS
4x8 Lunges
4x12 Standing Oblique Crunch
Plank Variation

1:30-2' rest between exercises, 3' rest between sets
Godspeed brah
>>
>>38671874
It's a strenght based rep scheme, if it's too easy then you need to increase the weight.
"Going for hyperthrophy" from the start gets you the typical gym dyel physique, definition on 2 lbs of muscle.
In order to define your muscles with hyperthrophy you first need to have muscles, and the fastest way to build them is by increasing your strenght.
It's not a meme when people recommend strength training to novices
I dont know about the abs, maybe do some hanging leg raises, but you seem already covered on em
>>
>>38672397
Since I started out going for hypertrophy instead of strength would you say I wasted any time, or is it not as important for beginners?

Thanks for all the information so far, super helpful.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.