[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traditional Martial Arts vs. Self Defense Combatives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: pic.png (1MB, 560x794px) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
1MB, 560x794px
What's a better martial arts path to take?

Fushu mushu inner chi ancient monk stuff, or s00per secret combat tactical agent chit?
>>
>>38657869
Depends on what your goals are. Traditional MA is more holistic and focus on honing your body to do X and Y.

For self defence I would argue that modern mix martial arts is better since its all about teaching you very specific throws and hand2hand combat that are easy to remember and quite devastating against an untrained opponent.

The military stuff is more focused on drilling into your head the technique so it becomes an automatic reflex in a life or death situation.
>>
>>38657869
Neither.
Both are bullshitfu
Just do mma
>>
File: icokaykid.png (296KB, 668x437px) Image search: [Google]
icokaykid.png
296KB, 668x437px
>>38658130
>>
>>38657869
Military combatives in armies that don't suck mostly take from BJJ, Boxing/Kickboxing/Thai Boxing, Wrestling, and Judo. (insert shitty cultural martial art)
Then they adjust regular training for wearing full rattle and having a firearm. There are also knife/baybay combatives.
Obviously some things are adjusted with the intent of killing people rather than for sport but those are not huge adjustments.
They also train EXTREME aggression which is critical to getting someone else to submit but is not necessarily advantageous in sport fighting.

Assuming you're a high level striker, you're not going to retain all of your speed/power/balance in loads of kit. Plus you have a firearm so if you're busting skulls you're either arresting someone or they have gotten huggably close to you. This is why BJJ and wrestling are popular in the professional soldier and LEO community. Also ever see two guys wearing plates and helmets fist fight? If they're a similar weight they'll both be gassed before they do any significant damage to each other.

BJJ offers a high degree of advantage over untrained people for the amount of time you put into it, it's a smart one to pick if you don't have a lot of time on your hands.
>>
>>38657869
What do you mean by "traditional" and "self-defense"? Because most MA can be employed to beat the crap out of someone, disregarding their origin. Judo, as quick example, isn't an ancient MA, is relatively new as it started at 1800+ something. And on the street, bashing someone against the concrete floor is far better than doing flip kicks and fancy Jackie Chan-style jumps.

Similarly, despite what films tell you, military doesn't train as much in hand to hand combat as you think. Their primary resource is firearms, even knives, so even if they do train MA, is usually as a last resource thing.

Now, their physical condition training is top notch, I won't deny that, but they aren't specially above other MA schools just because they are military. Quick: name 3 MMA champions who happen to have a military background.
>>
>>38657869
Take a trial class of Gracie Combatives, and then take a trial class of Gracie Barra. The first is self defense based and the second is traditional martial art based, but they are the same bjj techniques.

Then decide for your fucking self with your own experience.
>>
So guys... 10 Shaolin Monks vs. 10 Navy Seals. Go for it.
>>
Somebody post that info graphic
>>
>>38657869
You are comparing martial arts once used for warfare against military that is trained primarily to use projectile weapons.

Obviously hand to hand combat is going to not be stressed or given the attention needed to compete pre-industrialization.
>>
>>38662319
monks get shot
>>
>>38662319
Considering how americans lost to a bunch of commie farmers i'll put my money on the monks
>>
>>38663000
"lost" by killing what, 10 000 farmers for each american casualty?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.